Plenty positives

Selkirkhmfc1874

19 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I never said we were supposed to win every game. People on here read what they want to read. 

However, if you think we shouldn’t win games like today, I don’t know what you expect or want from Hearts. 

Football is full of results where the "should" have won but didn't.  That doesn't mean I don't go into every game hoping and, as yesterday expecting to win.

However, reality is sometimes it doesn't happen.  Your original post was just one of the many we get on here that has a go at those who dared to stray from the doom and gloom path.

Raging about their first particularly, so soon after our goal, and withe "mess" on the 18 yard line, I predicted exactly what happened.  The 2nd?  Best just left alone.  Lot of positives though and after cooling down I see enough to hope.

Last thing anyone needs is the constant plethora of negatives.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• LarrysRightFoot

• GinRummy

• kingantti1874

We created plenty of chances, we played well and on another day could easily have had 5. We are unbeaten and most importantly have  tried to win every game..

every single one of those who are moaning today would have supported that starting lineup.  

there’s absolutely nothing to complain about.. the results will come - we will finish third imo. We have more attacking weapons than Hibs or Aberdeen and if we DONT finish top 4 then we are entitled to complain

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

We created plenty of chances, we played well and on another day could easily have had 5. We are unbeaten and most importantly have  tried to win every game..

every single one of those who are moaning today would have supported that starting lineup.  

there’s absolutely nothing to complain about.. the results will come - we will finish third imo. We have more attacking weapons than Hibs or Aberdeen and if we DONT finish top 4 then we are entitled to complain

A decent summary. 

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Sky has ruined some fans. 

The funny thing is these types expect us to compete with the OF but don't expect the "lesser" teams to compete with us a we have a bigger budget. 

The mind boggles. 

You will be well aware of my views on neilson, but I agree..

folk on here expecting us to split the old firm with 20% of their budget but never ever ever expect us to drop points to teams with a lower budget than us.. a frankly idiotic mentality. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You will be well aware of my views on neilson, but I agree..

folk on here expecting us to split the old firm with 20% of their budget but never ever ever expect us to drop points to teams with a lower budget than us.. a frankly idiotic mentality. 

Agreed. 

It's like they're new to football. 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

I wasn't there yesterday so it is good to read about some of the positives along aside some of the negatives. The media coverage also suggests there was plenty of positives.

While some posters like to say that all the criticism of Neilson is just people discussing the negatives rationally, this thread has certainly highlighted some of the lack of realism. For one poster we should win at Ross County 100% of the time, but be winning 50% of the time at home to the old firm. For another, even if we are going to Ibrox unbeaten in the league, on 18 points from 8 games including beating Celtic, the Rangers away game is the one they will use to judge Neilson. I accept there are posters at the other end of the spectrum who almost never criticise. But it is beyond me why there is so much negativity around when we have started the league season with 3 wins and 3 draws. Not so long ago, many posters were confidently predicting that we would definitely be bottom 6 and would lucky to avoid relegation. I'm still on the happy train.

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

Football is full of results where the "should" have won but didn't.  That doesn't mean I don't go into every game hoping and, as yesterday expecting to win.

However, reality is sometimes it doesn't happen.  Your original post was just one of the many we get on here that has a go at those who dared to stray from the doom and gloom path.

Raging about their first particularly, so soon after our goal, and withe "mess" on the 18 yard line, I predicted exactly what happened.  The 2nd?  Best just left alone.  Lot of positives though and after cooling down I see enough to hope.

Fair. 

LarrysRightFoot
42 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

How can you make the OF games at home 50/50 and not our away games v the likes of Ross County 50/50? 

You change your logic midway In that post. 

If you're saying our home advantage v the OF evens it up a bit, then by the same principle Ross County being at home evens up the game v us? 

If not then you're just picking your argument to suit whatever you want to happen/ feel. 

It's not balanced and the logic is glaringly flawed. 

The OF have what x 10 our budget? We have maybe double County’s budget. There is a huge difference. 

What we need as much as good players is belief to win games. Attitude is essential. 

LarrysRightFoot
20 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

We should never accept these results. If you do we will never be where we want to be. 

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

The OF have what x 10 our budget? We have maybe double County’s budget. There is a huge difference. 

What we need as much as good players is belief to win games. Attitude is essential. 

Exactly my point. 

You think us v  celtic is 50/50 at home, but think we should 100% be beating County away. 

It makes no sense. Less so now. 

There is nothing that suggests we don't have the correct attitude. 

Also, what happens if the other teams players have the right attitude and belief? 

🤷‍♂️

Edited by Smith's right boot

3 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

well that’s completely incorrect. In 19/20  our playing budget was over £9 million.. rangers was between £20 and £30 million.  County’s playing budget will be £3m if you are lucky. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

This is just the start of a new era,the next 4 transfer windows are when our recruitment team will show its worth.

The jump in quality ( of transfers) on promotion is clear, if we can get European football we might see another step up in quality. 

It really is quite exciting. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

well that’s completely incorrect. In 19/20  our playing budget was over £9 million.. rangers was between £20 and £30 million.  County’s playing budget will be £3m if you are lucky. 

Rangers have around 3/4 times our wages budget, Celtic is actually around 8 iirc. 

That wouldn't include transfer fees  tho, just wages. 

4 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

We should never accept these results. If you do we will never be where we want to be. 

I don’t think anybody is happy with the result. There is clearly a bit of work to go and it’s not clicking 100%. That’s why I’m so surprised folk are pissed off at the formation change. We need to change things up a wee bit to try and get the best out of the squad. There’s been a lot of progress and I think there’ll be a fair bit more. How far Neilson can take us is a different question but I think a good bit further than where we are now. 

LarrysRightFoot
10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

If Rangers budget is anywhere near the lower end of that estimate it’s a disgrace we are so far behind them (or are likely to be). 

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Rangers have around 3/4 times our wages budget, Celtic is actually around 8 iirc. 

That wouldn't include transfer fees  tho, just wages. 

Celtic’s wage bill is not over £72m not a chance

Edited by kingantti1874

Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

If Rangers budget is anywhere near the lower end of that estimate it’s a disgrace we are so far behind them (or are likely to be). 

really.? Have you actually thought about what that means ? 

Let’s just say their budget is £25m That’s the same as 15 *  20k per week players.  

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

You/ we have  no choice to accept them, it happened and it will happen again. 

It's not like believing in the tooth fairy, we won't win every game. 

We can try, we can  want to win but  we will draw and lose games. 

Acceptance or not it will happen. 

If you want to lose your shit after every dropped point feel free, but it will happen again. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Celtic’s wage bill is not over £72million- not a chance

Think it was close to £60m - £56m rings a bell, ours was about £6m the same season. 

That will have been maybe 3 years ago tho. 

Celtic's will have dropped, rangers will have increased. 

Our average wage of a first team players was about £120k a year iirc, Celtic's was £950k.

We were just above hibs, but below Aberdeen. 

County like most other teams was about £50k, they ranged between £45k-£80k.

I can't remember Rangers, I think they were around half of Celtic's tho. 

It was discussed on here at the time with the various links etc. 

Bazzas right boot

More up to date info. 

Similar to 3 year ago Tbh. 

My memory done well. 😁

https://www.statista.com/statistics/547202/average-annual-first-team-player-salaray-football-clubs-scottish-premiership/

Celtic's has dropped slightly, rangers are much higher now. 

We've increased as well. 

43 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Just a shade too far...........most folk spotted a weakened midfield and too many attackers before the game! Except Robbie of course. I've been after a better attacking intent and entertainment for years so was nearly pleased, as I was also worried! So your statement has little grounding for me! I'd like to see Nando get a run/ Boyce a rest.....try something less predictable, see if we have a plan B? Boyce out next week to bench and Haring in for me.......still plenty attacking intent in that team!

21 hours ago, jr ewing said:

And if we don't?

If we lose next two games, I will carry on watching and supporting as always.  Seems like the bare minimum target is top 6, so doubt he'll come under serious pressure unless we hit some sustained poor form.

Btw, I think some are (willfully?) missing the point regarding positives from yesterday.  In the context of having a good start, being unbeaten in 6 league games, there are postives from drawing away at county.  When we drew up there under Stendel I was much more disappointed as we had done so poorly in other games the draw was no good for us.

LarrysRightFoot
14 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

really.? Have you actually thought about what that means ? 

Let’s just say their budget is £25m That’s the same as 15 *  20k per week players.  

Well if we have triple RCs budget and Rangers have just over double ours how come we don’t regularly finish 40 points above RC? 

LarrysRightFoot
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

Celtic losing to a team with 1/20th their budget.. 

funny old game football

No doubting that. However, Celtic will be fuming at the result - not claiming it’s good or that there’s improvement 

7 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Just a shade too far...........most folk spotted a weakened midfield and too many attackers before the game! Except Robbie of course. I've been after a better attacking intent and entertainment for years so was nearly pleased, as I was also worried! So your statement has little grounding for me! I'd like to see Nando get a run/ Boyce a rest.....try something less predictable, see if we have a plan B? Boyce out next week to bench and Haring in for me.......still plenty attacking intent in that team!

Surely just play someone behind Boyce. One of the main issues is Boyce has had far too much to do. Drop Gnando and play Boyce as a proper striker. None of this number 10 stuff. Woodburn or GMS or even Walker can play number 10. Dropping Boyce isn’t the answer.  Last season we didn’t have the players to play 4-2-3-1, this season our squad is made for it imo.  Is it as solid a shape defensively?  Of course not, we go from 5 defenders while under attack to 4 but the advantages in attack are obvious. 

Edited by GinRummy

Hearts would have won 2-0 if County had not scored (twice).  Let's look at the Halkett in the room.   

3 at the back will improve with practice, Smith Souttar Moore, perhaps.

8 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Agreed. It not many were saying that..Devlin in for me - balance looked much better 

I think (for me) that the recruitment had to be better. That's not saying we've recruited poorly, what i mean is that there are essential areas of the team that should've been first on the cards to sort, one of them being a left-sided central defender. Yesterday that happened when Neilson switched Souttar over to the left needlessly. We knew last season Berra was leaving and that should've been where the recruitment started first. Maybe they did try and it didn't come off but there are plenty defenders out there looking for a club, all over Europe so, i do question that. A lot of the oppositions attacks so far have been on the weakest part of the team, even their first goal yesterday ended up on our defensive left side at some point. The other essential area was upfront. 

I struggled at first to work out what formation we were trying to play yesterday. Woodburn is a forward (apparently) but he was played in midfield. At one point in the first half, both him and Boyce were back doing defending. I can't help feeling that a lot of our players are all too similar, or even if they're not, they're being told/coached to be the same. In an attacking midfield area you can play Walker, GMS, Ginelly, Woodburn, McEneff and now McKay and then you get Boyce dropping back and whoever else. We are light upfront if both Woodburn and Boyce are drifting backwards. Felt sorry for Baningime yesterday. had too much to do on his own. Can get away with that with a back three but not a make-shift defence. We were over-exposed way too often and it was no surprise they scored a couple of goals. 

Until we get a proper central defender in to play alongside Souttar we are going to get caught out far too often by using fullbacks in there or switching a naturally right-sider to his weaker side. We have Gordon to thank for so many saves or we would be sitting in the middle of the table.

55 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Sky has ruined some fans. 

The funny thing is these types expect us to compete with the OF but don't expect the "lesser" teams to compete with us a we have a bigger budget. 

The mind boggles. 

40 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Agreed. 

It's like they're new to football. 

Sorry but I don't agree with this, the thing about competing with the old firm is totally misinterpreted, at home we should be expected to take the game to anyone, we should fear not one team in Scottish football. 

1st point made above ^. 

Second you can slaver all you want about them having huge budgets, but we play them twice at home and twice away depending on how the split goes. 

3. the expectations are to be up and about the old firm something that Hibs and Aberdeen have done, and eventually maybe push the old firm. 

4. If we want to be the 3rd best team in Scotland whether you like it or anyone else, we have to be beating teams like Ross County. 

5.Personally speaking and I'm just going to come out with it, as everyone seems to be holding back from saying it, a large percentage of people don't believe we have the man in place to finish 3rd this season. 

Now i say give him time. 

But fans aren't being unrealistic when you consider the season St Johnstone had last season. 

We have competed with the old firm with far worse teams than we have now, 4-0 Levein, 2-1 stendel, 1-0 Stendel, 1-3 Stendel away. 

So really the expectations aren't unrealistic, how many teams can boast a fan base like ours? 

How many teams can bring in player's the standard our club can in Scottish football? 

Just now, GinRummy said:

Surely just play someone behind Boyce. One of the main issues is Boyce has had far too much to do. Drop Gnando and play Boyce as a proper striker. None of this number 10 stuff. Woodburn or GMS or even Walker can play number 10. Dropping Boyce isn’t the answer.  Last season we didn’t have the players to play 4-2-3-1, this season our squad is made for it imo.  Is it as solid a shape defensively?  Of course not, we go from 5 defenders while under attack to 4 but the advantages in attack are obvious. 

....or even the forgotten man.....McEneff. Plenty options but still they insist on Boyce dropping back. Noticed Woodburn has started doing that as well.

1 minute ago, jambonian said:

....or even the forgotten man.....McEneff. Plenty options but still they insist on Boyce dropping back. Noticed Woodburn has started doing that as well.

I’m not entirely sure where Woodburn was meant to be playing yesterday tbh.  Beside Beni but pushing up to support the attack then not getting back to help enough? Was a bit messy the midfield. 

39 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

So, what do you suggest we do with those "results" apart from the obvious.

There's a big difference between accepting what has already taken place and going into a game "accepting" those results in anticipation,  which is what you seem to be suggesting.

You will never learn if you don't accept the truth of what has happened.

Just now, GinRummy said:

I’m not entirely sure where Woodburn was meant to be playing yesterday tbh.  Beside Beni but pushing up to support the attack then not getting back to help enough? Was a bit messy the midfield. 

The whole middle of the park was a mess yesterday. I watched the game and after only two or three minutes i was questioning what they were trying to do. I can't talk much about the second half as the stream went blank but saw the tail-end of it. It's strange how, after watching Hearts for nearly 40 years, i can't work out who's supposed to be doing what within the team. 

17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Not a Boyce fan, he can only trap wind! We also need to find out properly what Nando can do. When was the last time we had a serious alternative striker..........they've been snowflake, 7st weaklings straight out of school!

LarrysRightFoot
11 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

So, what do you suggest we do with those "results" apart from the obvious.

There's a big difference between accepting what has already taken place and going into a game "accepting" those results in anticipation,  which is what you seem to be suggesting.

You will never learn if you don't accept the truth of what has happened.

I’ve said this a couple of times already but I really don’t know what some Hearts want for us.  

2 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Not a Boyce fan, he can only trap wind! We also need to find out properly what Nando can do. When was the last time we had a serious alternative striker..........they've been snowflake, 7st weaklings straight out of school!

Boyce has flaws in his game for sure. He’s scored 8 goals so far this season. He was our top scorer last season. Every time he seems to lose a bit of form he pops up in the next game, or the one after with a goal. Plays every week for me. 

Just now, Jambo61 said:

To be fair, Boyce's general play is pretty decent and no-one could say he isn't a grafter. Unfortunately for him he's been told to drop back and get involved in midfield far too often even though it isn't nesscesary. The recruitment from middle to front has been pretty good bar an out-and-out striker so there's plenty of them who can play there. Keep Boyce hanging about the penalty box where all good strikers tend to be and let those behind him do the graft. 

As for Gnanduillet, if it's work-rate you're after then he isn't the answer. He'll bang in a few goals but he seems the type that would expect everyone else behind him to get the ball to him, and rightly so if you're a striker. This is why i've said sooften we need two areas of theteam sorted, striker and a naturally left-sided central defender, not a fullback playing in there. Sort these areas out and you won't have to expect people to get back and help out. They can concentrate on what they do best and we'd be all the better for it.

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sorry but I don't agree with this, the thing about competing with the old firm is totally misinterpreted, at home we should be expected to take the game to anyone, we should fear not one team in Scottish football. 

1st point made above ^. 

Second you can slaver all you want about them having huge budgets, but we play them twice at home and twice away depending on how the split goes. 

3. the expectations are to be up and about the old firm something that Hibs and Aberdeen have done, and eventually maybe push the old firm. 

4. If we want to be the 3rd best team in Scotland whether you like it or anyone else, we have to be beating teams like Ross County. 

5.Personally speaking and I'm just going to come out with it, as everyone seems to be holding back from saying it, a large percentage of people don't believe we have the man in place to finish 3rd this season. 

Now i say give him time. 

But fans aren't being unrealistic when you consider the season St Johnstone had last season. 

We have competed with the old firm with far worse teams than we have now, 4-0 Levein, 2-1 stendel, 1-0 Stendel, 1-3 Stendel away. 

So really the expectations aren't unrealistic, how many teams can boast a fan base like ours? 

How many teams can bring in player's the standard our club can in Scottish football? 

Decent post, but the point about wanting or demanding we compete with the OF but at the same time demanding we beat  the lesser teams is contradictory. 

The logic conflicts with each other. 

Bob had us third last time but it won't be easy as other teams will also think they can finish 3rd and have had a few years of stability but I still think we'll be in the top 4, said that at the start of the season. 

BTW beating them once isn't competiting with them over a season, no club has done that for almost 40 years now, Big demand to put on any manager, but I believe we are building with that in mind. 

If Bob had stayed on and built on his 3rd place finish last tine  we might have been in the place you want us to be now and not wasted 3 years. 

Thankfully he's building again. 

19 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I’ve said this a couple of times already but I really don’t know what some Hearts want for us.  

to win more games than our rivals

to always go out to try and win

to play well when possible 

to finish in the places we should be finishing 

and to show continual improvement

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

I'm happy we are creating the chances, now is the time to start bagging these chances.  It's been the same story since the utd game, could have scored a lot more but didn't, let's start taking these chances next Saturday, that'll do wonders for the confidence 

18 minutes ago, jambonian said:

To be fair, Boyce's general play is pretty decent and no-one could say he isn't a grafter. Unfortunately for him he's been told to drop back and get involved in midfield far too often even though it isn't nesscesary. The recruitment from middle to front has been pretty good bar an out-and-out striker so there's plenty of them who can play there. Keep Boyce hanging about the penalty box where all good strikers tend to be and let those behind him do the graft. 

As for Gnanduillet, if it's work-rate you're after then he isn't the answer. He'll bang in a few goals but he seems the type that would expect everyone else behind him to get the ball to him, and rightly so if you're a striker. This is why i've said sooften we need two areas of theteam sorted, striker and a naturally left-sided central defender, not a fullback playing in there. Sort these areas out and you won't have to expect people to get back and help out. They can concentrate on what they do best and we'd be all the better for it.

I think your post is slightly contradicting itself - no offense.

We had a lot of problem areas to fix for this season, and you have to accept that you aren't going to fill everything unless you accept lesser quality.  Midfield was a big problem area and we have largely made acquisitions there, and have McKay and Woodburn supporting.

I personally think Gnando will score goals given the service, so we have to do better at creating chances for him and Boyce.  GMS, Ginelly, and even Jamie Walker need to step it up.

The main weak area seems to be our full backs, who are next to useless at supporting the attacks and crossing.  I am not sure if we should be switching Cochrane and Kingsley as I think we might get more joy with Kingsley down the wing.

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

1st point made above ^. 

Now i say give him time. 

We don't have the financial backing to compete with Rangers or Celtic so what you need is hard graft. It can work. If you go back to 2016, who'd have thought that Leicester City would win the Premier League with the millions that other clubs spend in comparison? That was fantastic and proves that it can be done. Then last season in Scotland, St Johnstone won both Cups! How the f did that happen on their budget? Simply....graft, and recruiting for the areas the team needs.  For me, it doesn't help when we play players out of their natural positions, it's been happening for a few seasons now. Levein was bad for it and it can affect players' confidence. Some can adapt, others find it more difficult so recruit properly and be as strong as you can be in every position. We have had quite a lot of players that are too similar and opponents are well aware of where we are weakest. It took us a few years, since McHattie and Eckersley in fact to sort out the left-back area. That's now sorted and the weakness has shifted to central defence.  Can't expect Souttar to do everything. Halkett is a good squad player but hardly and out-and-out defender. Moore is naturally right-sided so that leaves us with a make-shift central defender on the left in Kingsley or Cochrane. Hopefully Neilson can work that out and recruit properly in the January transfer window. 

1 hour ago, Dia Liom said:

If we lose next two games, I will carry on watching and supporting as always.  Seems like the bare minimum target is top 6, so doubt he'll come under serious pressure unless we hit some sustained poor form.

Btw, I think some are (willfully?) missing the point regarding positives from yesterday.  In the context of having a good start, being unbeaten in 6 league games, there are postives from drawing away at county.  When we drew up there under Stendel I was much more disappointed as we had done so poorly in other games the draw was no good for us.

Poorest team in the league. 

35 minutes ago, jambonian said:

Never argued he wasn't a grafter...........but his touch is awful and he loses control of the ball a hell of a lot. My argument is we do know what he offers, and what not! We need to establish what Nando offers, is it a bit different and can we play to his strengths, which I am assuming are running behind and winning cross balls? As you say if the suppliers concentrate on what they do best, then learn to put a decent cross in, we might have options!