Derby County

Malinga the Swinga

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, ShedBoy said:

Got your number lad 👍🏻

Don't think you've got any number Tbh. 

Away and cry crocodile tears for Derby fans and every other fan who's team overspends for a generation or 2 then goes bust. 

Teams like Derby, who are in mountains of debt are likley to be offering Souttar contracts we can't match. 

It's unfair and I have no sympathy for them. 

In fact the quicker it happens to these clubs the better. 

They need to live with their means. 

Did you feel the same for the cheating *******ing rangers or do you just Pick and choose who you have sympathy for? 

Edited by Smith's right boot

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

• Nookie Bear

• jamboinglasgow

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Right? Not so often we'll agree on a topic SRB but hard to think too many of us would have forgiven Gretna had they beat us in 2006 then went bust so soon after. 

The English clubs, particularly the championship are the worse. 

Almost every team are in massive debt. 

The championship clubs, many who "buy" Scottish players and give them bigger contracts than we can afford are in debt. 

How can clubs in £50m+ debt and growing buy players and offer more money than the likes of us? 

Sunderland  where/ are  still offering players more. 

Notts forest have a wages turnover of 143% yet are buying players? 

4 teams in the championship are £100m in debt, Broro bought a player for £1m just this season. 

Derby gave stupid contracts to big name players and added to their debt. 

All these types of  clubs cherry pick some of Scotlands best talent as the Scottish clubs can't afford to compete with them. 

The quicker the English game resets the better. 

These clubs chase the golden goose of top flight football, no sympathy for them at all as they over spend then realise they can't maintain it. 

For most clubs it's been a 5/10 + year build up as well, not a shock event that's caused it, it's been on the cards for years. 

This the same Derby that spent £3.6M last September on a player? Three months later they fail to pay players wages. 

Why not sell him for £500k this summer like farmers league clubs have to do?

They loan in Jordan Ibe on loan and pay him £10k/week?

It seems their average wage is £6k/week

First game of the season at home having had no fans for 18 months and they get 16k fans in. Sound familiar?

And the EFL gave them exemption to sign players this summer due to exceptional coronavirus circumstances?

I do feel sorry for the fans but every club supporter outside of the EPL needs to start understanding just how flimsy their league is. 

Remember going to the old Baseball for pre-season friendly back in the 90's (Jefferies 1st game).

Chatting to some Derby fans in pub beforehand - they were mostly Little Englander pricks, usual condescenfing crap towards Hearts/Scotland.

No time for them ever since.

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

This the same Derby that spent £3.6M last September on a player? Three months later they fail to pay players wages. 

Why not sell him for £500k this summer like farmers league clubs have to do?

They loan in Jordan Ibe on loan and pay him £10k/week?

It seems their average wage is £6k/week

First game of the season at home having had no fans for 18 months and they get 16k fans in. Sound familiar?

And the EFL gave them exemption to sign players this summer due to exceptional coronavirus circumstances?

I do feel sorry for the fans but every club supporter outside of the EPL needs to start understanding just how flimsy their league is. 

Yip. 

Ridiculous, were their fans demanding that the club don't sign players? 

Nah, they enjoyed the big money signings, paying daft wages and wanted to chase promotion with no thoughts to the debt or long term effects. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-deloitte-championship-finances-gibson-18397723.amp

A couple of years out of date but alarming and that trend continued. 

25 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Away and cry crocodile tears for Derby fans and every other fan who's team overspends for a generation or 2 then goes bust. 

Teams like Derby, who are in mountains of debt are likley to be offering Souttar contracts we can't match. 

Did you feel the same for the cheating *******ing rangers or do you just Pick and choose who you have sympathy for? 

Don’t think I’ve ever agreed with any of your posts but here we are 😂

:spoton:

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The English clubs, particularly the championship are the worse. 

Almost every team are in massive debt. 

The championship clubs, many who "buy" Scottish players and give them bigger contracts than we can afford are in debt. 

How can clubs in £50m+ debt and growing buy players and offer more money than the likes of us? 

Sunderland  where/ are  still offering players more. 

Notts forest have a wages turnover of 143% yet are buying players? 

4 teams in the championship are £100m in debt, Broro bought a player for £1m just this season. 

Derby gave stupid contracts to big name players and added to their debt. 

All these types of  clubs cherry pick some of Scotlands best talent as the Scottish clubs can't afford to compete with them. 

The quicker the English game resets the better. 

These clubs chase the golden goose of top flight football, no sympathy for them at all as they over spend then realise they can't maintain it. 

For most clubs it's been a 5/10 + year build up as well, not a shock event that's caused it, it's been on the cards for years. 

Agree with you on this one mate. I can't believe that some of these teams are still afloat.... I've always thought that the EPL will go pop at some point, that the obscene amounts floating about there can't be sustained - just seems to be getting worse. It'll probably take 4 or 5 championship teams (at the same time) to go bust to make them sit up and realise.

Makes me appreciate, all the more, where we are as a club. We've been there... as fans we stepped up, and now we own our club. Here's a question, is anyone 'happy' we went through THAT to get to where we are now?

I do have a bit of sympathy for their fans, we know what it's like... although I wonder if they'll step up - and this is where I lose sympathy. I doubt their fans will step up, why? Because they want the million pound players, they crave the EPL riches, right NOW. While it's taken years for us to get to where we are now, these clubs aren't interested in building for the future. They just don't want to be left behind and they'll jump into the arms of the next devil-in-disguise (most likely a foreign billionaire) that wants to have a shot at the EPL. And off we go again.

Some of the debts are mental. £8m still owed to former manager Cocu, £20m owed to HMRC, £17.5m in a loan held against the ground. 

This is not football, it is corporate fat cat greed and negligence. It is not tolerated in any other area of life so why tolerate it here? 

Time to get the bulldozers in. 

42 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Agree with you on this one mate. I can't believe that some of these teams are still afloat.... I've always thought that the EPL will go pop at some point, that the obscene amounts floating about there can't be sustained - just seems to be getting worse. It'll probably take 4 or 5 championship teams (at the same time) to go bust to make them sit up and realise.

Makes me appreciate, all the more, where we are as a club. We've been there... as fans we stepped up, and now we own our club. Here's a question, is anyone 'happy' we went through THAT to get to where we are now?

I do have a bit of sympathy for their fans, we know what it's like... although I wonder if they'll step up - and this is where I lose sympathy. I doubt their fans will step up, why? Because they want the million pound players, they crave the EPL riches, right NOW. While it's taken years for us to get to where we are now, these clubs aren't interested in building for the future. They just don't want to be left behind and they'll jump into the arms of the next devil-in-disguise (most likely a foreign billionaire) that wants to have a shot at the EPL. And off we go again.

If they're due £20m to HMRC it's going to be hard to step up. 

One advantage we had was who the creditors were, and even then it was touch and go.

3 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

If they're due £20m to HMRC it's going to be hard to step up. 

One advantage we had was who the creditors were, and even then it was touch and go.

Newcastle UTD fans face similar amounts (possibly more?) but are engaging with FOH about how to proceed. Granted, they're not facing administration - but fair play to them for exploring this route to oust Ashley.

Yeah, we were lucky that the CVA was nothing like 20mill... and we had AB willing to meet it - but you've got to start somewhere.

complete control
10 hours ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Have season tickets for both Hearts and Leeds. Live in Edinburgh and work down there! Bit of a slog I must admit. 

Good teams you support mate  👍

10 hours ago, luckydug said:

Last night sticking up for the obnoxious Rangers. 

Tonight relishing a perfectly innocent fanbase and City possibly losing their club. 

Horrible behaviour imo. 

Well said. 

And completely bereft of any self awareness. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Agreed as well. 

Once again it's the fans who suffer through no fault of their own. Thank goodness we're now fan-owned - it really is the way forward. Just hope that Derby get through this. 

I sincerely hope that Derby County survive, but there has to be a reality check within English football. The money that is gambled by clubs to get into the cash bonanza of the EPL is crazy. The Championship clubs, in particular, seem to be run by many owners who will make financial commitments that are to the extreme risk of a club's very existence, and then compound those gambles, when they don't pay off, by spending even more. 

The Championship is arguably a more competitive league than the EPL, with more games. There are only 2 teams who can succeed automatically, with the third promotion spot being acheived after even more games. Many clubs relegated into it find it too difficult to get promoted again. It is cutthroat stuff created by the SKY money. The clubs that are successful, tend to find themselves back down again within a very short time.

As others have said, it is annoying for Scottish fans that players from our clubs are lured away by non top league clubs due to the television money and those crazy financial gambles. Clubs in Scotland, in general, have learned to work within their means, which has made it difficult to hold onto their best players, who move onto, what I would call ordinary, clubs in England purely for the money, not ambition.

Too many foreign owners, most of whom have no sense of feeling for the clubs, don't seem to appreciate the deep feelings that fans in the UK have for their football club, so they'll take risks in the hope of enhancing their personal profiles.

Leicester City are a shining example of good foreign ownership, by their interest and investment in the local community as well as running the football club responsibly. There are others who seem to absent landlords with no idea of how British football evolved before the cash cow turned up.

For all the faults of Scottish football, and there are more than a few, I'm really happy and content that Hearts play in Scotland.

Never nice to see for any club. Thinking of the fans, hopefully a resolution can be found ASAP. 

Wouldn’t go amiss to follow our route. 

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

You’re missing the point. 

You could say exactly the same for us 10 years ago. I’m sure we beat St Johnstone to the signing of Craig Beattie by offering more money whilst we were in the shit. Same with Webster iirc. 

It’s not the owners or the millionaire players who suffer it’s the fans. Just like we did. So folk saying ‘haha **** them’ are no better than the wankers that said that about us back then.

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, DS98 said:

You could say exactly the same for us 10 years ago. I’m sure we beat St Johnstone to the signing of Craig Beattie by offering more money whilst we were in the shit. Same with Webster iirc. 

It’s not the owners or the millionaire players who suffer it’s the fans. Just like we did. So folk saying ‘haha **** them’ are no better than the wankers that said that about us back then.

You could say the same and I'd expect no more from other fans. 

Why would I? 

I hope rangers go bust again, they've over spent to win the league title - again. 

Derby and other championship clubs have racked up debts for over ten years, what do their fans expect? 

We can't compete with championship clubs, not because they are better run, are bigger clubs but because they are allowed to rack up debts in order to chase a dream. 

If we spent £100m and racked up debt in order to win the league and get to the ucl but failed and went into administration - we'd deserve it. 

No sympathy. 

If Derby had got promoted through their mismanagement over other sides their fans would be celebrating, zero sympathy when it goes tits up. 

Even more so when it's not due to a unforseen event such as covid or a recession, but a conscious policy and strategy - rack up debts, buy promotion to get to the epl. 

We'll see how happy folk are and how much sympathy they have if Souttar goes down south for treble his wages to a debt saddled championship club we cannot financially compete with. 

Every English club that is financially doped up deserves what it gets. 

Every club in fact, look at Barca etc. 

They all need to get a grip. 

9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

You could say the same and I'd expect no more from other fans. 

Why would I? 

I hope rangers go bust again, they've over spent to win the league title - again. 

Derby and other championship clubs have racked up debts for over ten years, what do their fans expect? 

We can't compete with championship clubs, not because they are better run, are bigger clubs but because they are allowed to rack up debts in order to chase a dream. 

If we spent £100m and racked up debt in order to win the league and get to the ucl but failed and went into administration - we'd deserve it. 

No sympathy. 

If Derby had got promoted through their mismanagement over other sides their fans would be celebrating, zero sympathy when it goes tits up. 

Even more so when it's not due to a unforseen event such as covid or a recession, but a conscious policy and strategy - rack up debts, buy promotion to get to the epl. 

We'll see how happy folk are and how much sympathy they have if Souttar goes down south for treble his wages to a debt saddled championship club we cannot financially compete with. 

Every English club that is financially doped up deserves what it gets. 

Every club in fact, look at Barca etc. 

They all need to get a grip. 

Could you name a successful football club that isn’t in debt?

38 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Bang on.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Celtic. 

By debt I also mean badly run- they run together almost everyone has some debt. No one is suggesting that a  business has no debt. 

I'm surprised that needs explained 

Derby and many championship clubs have run with  over 100% wage ratio to turnover for years that is nonsense and will only y go one way. 

Aston villa spent £95n on wages on their promotion season, they gambled and won. 

Other clubs that have gambled and lost - nae luck. 

You can have sympathy and feel sorry for them, maybe you felt the same for Rangers fans. And will do for other clubs that mismanage their finances for years. 

I don't and won't. 

Seymour M Hersh
21 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Every club is in debt.

To their fans. 

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Celtic. 

By debt I also mean badly run- they run together almost everyone has some debt. No one is suggesting that a  business has no debt. 

Derby and many championship clubs have run with  over 100% wage ratio to turnover for years that is nonsense and will only y go one way. 

Aston villa spent £95n on wages on their promotion season, they gambled and won. 

You can have sympathy and feel sorry for them, maybe you felt the same for Rangers fans. And will do for other clubs that mismanage their finances for years. 

I don't and won't. 

Fair enough. Just find it very strange that there’s Hearts fans that can find this remotely funny or can’t see that sad story that it is. 

Its like if someone had a life threatening illness (self-inflicted), luckily making a full recovery but then laughing at someone else going through the same thing year later. Bit weird. 

Fair enough though, enjoy the game today 👍

12 hours ago, everton_jambo said:

That’s a good point - didn’t Keogh win a big settlement, wonder if that’s now at risk or if he got the money already.

Seen him play for Blackpool the other night and he's still not recovered. A car crash of a player

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip. 

Ridiculous, were their fans demanding that the club don't sign players? 

Nah, they enjoyed the big money signings, paying daft wages and wanted to chase league title with no thoughts to the debt or long term effects. 

Sound familiar ?

16 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Sound familiar ?

It does. 

But Derby (and other EFL clubs) are on a different scale altogether.  These are also the clubs that will be sniffing around the likes of Souttar and offering decent money when they still owe millions elsewhere. 

Edited by Nookie Bear

55 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Celtic. 

I don't and won't. 

It's called "speculate to accumulate" which many on here were urging us to do.  Sometimes it works but most times it doesn't.  Debt is OK when it is manageable but when it's taken on recklessly, disaster looms as it has done with Derby..  I too have little sympathy: they gambled and lost!

Mel Morris has tried to sell the club for some time having run up large debts and realised he is running out of money

Why do those people run a football club so much differently from a business ?

There will be all the excuses under the sun coming out but but it boils down to overspending, chasing the premiership dream and the spending being wasted in many cases.

We know the story and the fans are the ones left to try and pick up the pieces but they will be relegated and perhaps should have been last season.

Let's hope restructuring takes place and the fans have a club to support..........one advantage is like Bolton they have a decent support that may help them through the next couple of seasons

What this has shown is the number of 'chancers' over the years who claim interest in purchasing a club but are simply at it

Shanks said no
19 minutes ago, sassenach said:

I followed another link within this story, and it took me to another piece about the company Michael Dell is involved with.

I know that Hearts' structure wouldn't allow the situations described here, but does anyone know much about the link between Hearts and Dell Computers?  Is it a straightforward sponsorship deal?

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/michael-dell-sunderland-truth-takeover-17971348

Thanks for the link, interesting. 

I am now curious to know where the Dell sponsorship has come from. If it has been via this MSD crew then how they behave during Derby’s administration will be worth a watch. 

Bazzas right boot
28 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It does. 

But Derby (and other EFL clubs) are on a different scale altogether.  These are also the clubs that will be sniffing around the likes of Souttar and offering decent money when they still owe millions elsewhere. 

Yip. 

As a Hearts fan this has annoyed me for years. 

Bazzas right boot
46 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Sound familiar ?

Yip, and I felt little for these clubs and I expected no sympathy from other fans for our plight either. 

Nor would I want any. 

7 minutes ago, CJGJ said:

Why do those people run a football club so much differently from a business ?

Because it’s completely different from any other business. There’s fans expectations, emotions, dreams etc etc. 

Derby have been up to all sorts of accounting tricks and manipulations. Sadly it’s the fans that suffer because they are powerless to do anything about it until it’s too late. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, DS98 said:

Fair enough. Just find it very strange that there’s Hearts fans that can find this remotely funny or can’t see that sad story that it is. 

Its like if someone had a life threatening illness (self-inflicted), luckily making a full recovery but then laughing at someone else going through the same thing year later. Bit weird. 

Fair enough though, enjoy the game today 👍

Tbh, I don't think it's funny. 

Folk will lose jobs. 

However, I have no sympathy for the fans who celebrated big money signings, chased the epl dream and now ultimately are paying the price. 

I wouldn't laugh at ill-health either. 

Your health example is a bit weird, but I'll compare it to my dad who's had 4 Heart attacks but continues to smoke and eat shite. 

No one had sympathy for him the 3rd or 4th times as he ignored the advise and we all seen it coming. 

No one laughed either, but there was a sense of inevitably about it-much like a club who for a decade overspends then hits the skids. 

Hopefully a good game today. 

Did you feel the same for Rangers fans? 

37 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It does. 

True but it’s all relative. We were an absolute circus but beat teams to guys like Darren Barr, Craig Beattie, Andy Webster etc. We as the fans weren’t making these decisions but we also weren’t complaining either.

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbh, I don't think it's funny. 

Folk will lose jobs. 

However, I have no sympathy for the fans who celebrated big money signings, chased the epl dream and now ultimately are paying the price. 

I wouldn't laugh at ill-health either. 

Your health example is a bit weird, but I'll compare it to my dad who's had 4 Heart attacks but continues to smoke and eat shite. 

No one had sympathy for him the 3rd or 4th times as he ignored the advise and we all seen it coming. 

No one laughed either, but there was a sense of inevitably about it-much like a club who for a decade overspends then hits the skids. 

Hopefully a good game today. 

Did you feel the same for Rangers fans? 

I’ll be honest i’m lucky and I don’t know that many. My brother-in-law is one though. Season ticket holder since the 80s, not into the bigot pish and is generally a decent bloke. If they went into oblivion they 100% would’ve deserved it but I felt sorry that he might not have a club to support anymore. 

One thing, Morris is hardly a dodgy businessman

He has formed a number of companies, made profits and sold them on and received over £450 million from selling his last company who were involved in Candy Crush Saga

In the 2020 Times wealth list his fortune was estimated at £515 million and he has spent a large sum of his own wealth at Derby but it does not excuse the terrible financial path he set the club on and as his health has worsened he has looked to get out

The sooner rules are in place to limit wages to turnover for example the quicker we might see clubs recover from mismanagement and clubs not risking it chasing the dream

You have to be strong though and let fans know the realities for many just think you should spend every last penny you have

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, DS98 said:

I’ll be honest i’m lucky and I don’t know that many. My brother-in-law is one though. Season ticket holder since the 80s, not into the bigot pish and is generally a decent bloke. If they went into oblivion they 100% would’ve deserved it but I felt sorry that he might not have a club to support anymore. 

You're a bigger man in me in regards to that. 

Rangers directly robbed us and Scottish football for a decade. 

I may even laugh if they died, again. 

🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Newcastle UTD fans face similar amounts (possibly more?) but are engaging with FOH about how to proceed. Granted, they're not facing administration - but fair play to them for exploring this route to oust Ashley.

Yeah, we were lucky that the CVA was nothing like 20mill... and we had AB willing to meet it - but you've got to start somewhere.

The whole thing needs motivation.

Newcastle just now are at same stage as the early FoH meetings. But they have to reach point of really wanting or needing it which happened with risk of Hearts being liquidated. 

Newcastle fans are probably still mainly hoping for the Saudi takeover which is still in the background. 

24 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Newcastle just now are at same stage as the early FoH meetings. But they have to reach point of really wanting or needing it which happened with risk of Hearts being liquidated. 

Newcastle fans are probably still mainly hoping for the Saudi takeover which is still in the background. 

I think the FoH idea is just an option supporters are exploring rather than there being a widespread desire for it.  I think they would be happy just to get rid of Ashley as he is not putting in the money they would like him to do for better players.  Two or three consecutive wins to ease relegation fears and the natives will pipe down, at least for a little while.

Loved playing and attending gigs at the Victoria Inn. 

But. 

Went to pride park after a work do. The played Huddersfield. I was really hungover. Awful day.

Feel sorry for Derby fans but that league is batshit crazy with overspending. 

The entire English football pyramid is built on very shaky foundations.

Clubs going bust all over the shop. Or, worse, being bought up by venture capitalists and hedge funds then milked for every penny.

Even the biggest clubs in the Premier League have gigantic debts.

It's mental what's going on down there right now.

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

No time for Ashley but are Newcastle not living by their means.

When I were a lad, (proper old now) Derby were a cracking team

A boy from my village in Wales, Terry Hennessy played for them. Dave Mackay too.

Always had a soft spot for them.

Rooney is a **** though

Just now, John Findlay said:

Brian Clough.

Indeed.

Fantastic manager who managed simply.

What's the secret to building a good of team, Brian?

"Signing good players".

6 minutes ago, martoon said:

Indeed.

Fantastic manager who managed simply.

What's the secret to building a good of team, Brian?

"Signing good players".

Not so good without Taylor.