Derby County

Malinga the Swinga

Malinga the Swinga

I see Derby County are set to enter administration. If they do, they will receive 12 point penalty. Considering they avoided relegation by 1 point last season, and that their accounts for last season, and previous 2 are being investigated, then it will be interesting to see reaction of Sheffield Wednesday as they were penalised points last season while Derby, arguably guilty of worse offences, got off.

They should have been relegated last season under Wayne Rooney. Can you see Wayne hanging around if they go down.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Bazzas right boot

• Nookie Bear

• jamboinglasgow

I read a wee bit about Derby at the beginning of the season to see why they were under a transfer embargo, and was shocked to see they hadn't submitted 2 - 3 seasons worth of accounts. Also seen things in the passing about a few take over deals falling through, but no idea why the current owner can't seem to sell the club? Is he a total dodgy bassa, asset stripping the club for all he can? Or is it just a simple sh1t show of incompetence from all and sundry that have seen Derby dropped right in the Merde? 

I admire Wayne Rooney as a player.  His bicycle kick goal against Man City of all clubs will live long in the memory.  Find him unlikeable however.

Very sorry for the Derby supporters.  As ever, they are the innocents.

jamboinglasgow

The finances and the way Championship clubs are run is shocking. Sadly these clubs throw so much at wages of players it means we can never get near the same players. You would think some other clubs will be on very shaky ground.

Malinga the Swinga

Derby now saying in last year, they have been losing between £1m and £1.5m per month. You can't survive on this.

They should be demoted immediately and results wiped from records.

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

Financial mismanagement. Owner sold the stadium to himself to beat financial fair play. Living beyond their means trying to get back to the premiership. How have they had frank lampard, Philip cocu and Wayne rooney managing at that level 

SomethingAboutObua

Just what the EPL teams want, not teams to go bust, but something to spook everyone else into stopping trying to spend into the financial gap and reduce the number of teams that can spend to reach the top flight. 

I remember a rumour swirling at the time when Frank Lampard was the gaffer, that if he didn’t get them promoted, the writing was on the wall. As Barrack said, delaying the inevitable. 

Gutted for the fans.

Step forward FoD

8 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yeah I'm sure Derby fans are laughing their heads off

Yeah

Ever better thought them suffering 

But they'll be happy once they get a new owner promising top 6 Premiership 

Doctor FinnBarr
22 minutes ago, sassenach said:

It's tough times nowadays for Championship teams wanting to challenge.

It was 25+ years ago, but I remember Bryan Robson going to Middlesbrough as player-manager and then as manager, much the same as Rooney has done at Derby.  Robson's reputation and personality galvanised the club, and although it was a bumpy road he had them in the Premier League and reaching cup finals for a time.  This was despite Robson eventually proving not be a very good manager.

Of course, it helped that Robson was able to buy players such as Juninho, Barmby, Emerson and Ravanelli.  With today's financial fair play rules there is no way that teams at that level can attract such players, so unfortunately it is inevitable that some clubs will try to get around the rules.

Bora bought him? Sure Dundee got him for nowt.

41 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

I remember a rumour swirling at the time when Frank Lampard was the gaffer, that if he didn’t get them promoted, the writing was on the wall. As Barrack said, delaying the inevitable. 

Gutted for the fans.

Step forward FoD

They got lucky as Chelsea bailed them out by signing Lampard but made same mistake with cocu 

ShortmanRossco

**** Derby County. Didn't see their fans complain too much about financial irresponsibility when they dumped us out in the Playoffs to much acclaim. Fly too close to the sun and you'll get burned. We did our time, time they did the same. 

29 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

Ever better thought them suffering 

But they'll be happy once they get a new owner promising top 6 Premiership 

Last night sticking up for the obnoxious Rangers. 

Tonight relishing a perfectly innocent fanbase and City possibly losing their club. 

Horrible behaviour imo. 

2 minutes ago, ShortmanRossco said:

**** Derby County. Didn't see their fans complain too much about financial irresponsibility when they dumped us out in the Playoffs to much acclaim. Fly too close to the sun and you'll get burned. We did our time, time they did the same. 

When did they beat Hearts in the play offs ? 🤔 

Bazzas right boot

No sympathy, a big part of the reason teams like ourselves can't keep or afford better players is because clubs like Derby offer stupid money and rack up massive debts. 

ShortmanRossco
Just now, luckydug said:

When did they beat Hearts in the play offs ? 🤔 

Have season tickets for both Hearts and Leeds. Live in Edinburgh and work down there! Bit of a slog I must admit. 

4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

No sympathy, a big part of the reason teams like ourselves can't keep or afford better players is because clubs like Derby offer stupid money and rack up massive debts. 

So you have/had no sympathy for Hearts fans when Romanov did the same?

Interesting …………………………….

ShortmanRossco
4 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Right? Not so often we'll agree on a topic SRB but hard to think too many of us would have forgiven Gretna had they beat us in 2006 then went bust so soon after. 

ShortmanRossco
3 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

Interesting …………………………….

Didn't we pay the penalty for this? Why should Derby be any different? 

1 hour ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Just what the EPL teams want, not teams to go bust, but something to spook everyone else into stopping trying to spend into the financial gap and reduce the number of teams that can spend to reach the top flight. 

It'll still be three teams going up

1 minute ago, ShortmanRossco said:

Didn't we pay the penalty for this? Why should Derby be any different? 

We absolutely did pay the penalty. As a fanbase. The owner done a Nash. We picked up the pieces. But the point is SRB said he had no sympathy for the their plight. It wasn’t Hearts fans that put Hearts to the wall, just like it wasn’t Derby fans that put Derby where they are now. Like I say it was an interesting comment. Maybe even outed himself slightly …………….

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

Interesting …………………………….

Sympathy, nope we rolled the dice and gambled. 

Had the world recession not hit, who knows what would have happened with us - but if you roll the dice, bet Big - you can lose big. 

I had no sympathy nor wanted any. 

I had no sympathy for Rangers, Motherwell or Dundee either. 

English clubs, especially in the championship have been racking up debts for decades now, follow that strategy, you deserve to go bust imo. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
7 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

We absolutely did pay the penalty. As a fanbase. The owner done a Nash. We picked up the pieces. But the point is SRB said he had no sympathy for the their plight. It wasn’t Hearts fans that put Hearts to the wall, just like it wasn’t Derby fans that put Derby where they are now. Like I say it was an interesting comment. Maybe even outed himself slightly …………….

Outed myself? 

I take it you lit a candle and shed a tear for Rangers fans? 

Nice of you too care for every fan so much. 

It's touching, lovely in fact. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

AlphonseCapone

Is it shite for genuine fans? Yes. 

Do these English clubs that chuck money about like it's no ones business have to face up to reality at some point? Yes.

Is it hard to feel too bad when some of these clubs think they're footballing giants and see Scotland as a farmers league when they're not doing anything but building sandcastles? Yes. 

11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Outed myself? 

I take it you lit a candle and shed a tear for Rangers fans? 

Nice of you too care for every fan so much. 

It's touching, lovely in fact. 

Got your number lad 👍🏻

45 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Last night sticking up for the obnoxious Rangers. (no, just keeping the prick Neil Lennon away from inciting trouble) 

Tonight relishing a perfectly innocent fanbase and City possibly losing their club. 

Horrible behaviour imo. 

Innocent people all over

Derby are pricks overall though 

They sacked their captain not so long ago after he was injured as a passenger in a car accident, one of many despicable decisions including backing the drink driving driver. 

Save your sympathy 

Edited by Mikey1874

Byyy The Light
17 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Do these English clubs that chuck money about like it's no ones business have to face up to reality at some point? Yes.

Is it hard to feel too bad when some of these clubs think they're footballing giants and see Scotland as a farmers league when they're not doing anything but building sandcastles? Yes. 

Nailed it. Fans of clubs like Derby sneer at Scottish football. I’m sure there are good people who support the club but it’s hard not to shrug and think fukum when they look down their nose at us. 

11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Innocent people all over

Derby are pricks overall though 

They sacked their captain not so long ago after he was injured as a passenger in a car accident, one of many despicable decisions including backing the drink driving driver. 

Save your sympathy 

That’s a good point - didn’t Keogh win a big settlement, wonder if that’s now at risk or if he got the money already.

Byyy The Light
16 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

That’s a good point - didn’t Keogh win a big settlement, wonder if that’s now at risk or if he got the money already.

That whole thing was a shit show. Poor show making Keogh out to be a victim. Life choices. 

jamboinglasgow
55 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Thats my view as well. Championship clubs are like PSG, throwing a lot of money around which has messed with the level of player wages, meaning Scottish football cant compete. But unlike PSG who have the backing of an oil rich state, these clubs are being loaded with huge debts by owners desperate to get clubs into the Premier league so they can sell for big money. Problem is fans are calling for more spending. And as you say the fans of these clubs look down on the Scottish Premiership as trash, basically because we are not recklessly spending.

I've been working in Derby for a few weeks now and have family down there who are all Derby fans. I've yet to hear any of them call Scotland a farmers league. 

The owner is obviously a bit dodgy but the fans are proper football fans. I wouldn't wish their team to go bust. Some brass necks on show in this thread given our own plight not so long ago. 

4 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

I've been working in Derby for a few weeks now and have family down there who are all Derby fans. I've yet to hear any of them call Scotland a farmers league. 

The owner is obviously a bit dodgy but the fans are proper football fans. I wouldn't wish their team to go bust. Some brass necks on show in this thread given our own plight not so long ago. 

💯

Shanks said no

Firstly thoughts are with the normal Derby fans.

Reading the BBC article about the administration mentions their major debt is to MSD and this is where it could get interesting/scary. They are a US based group who have been lending money to clubs including Sunderland and Southampton as well as sniffing round others looking to buy

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/msd-make-loan-derby-county-18757889.amp

Edited by The Frenchman Returns