Club Brugge / FC Bruges

Tasavallan

Having lived in the south of the Netherlands for many years and being very familiar with north Belgium (Flanders), I have always called the Flemish city Brugge (Broo-ga) by its Flemish name.  That includes its main football club: Club Brugge KV and not FC Bruges as it is called by the Walloons and French speakers. 

However, I notice that most of the English media refer to the club by its French pronunciation.

Am I wrong.  We do not refer to Antwerp as Anvers so why do the English speakers refer to Brugge as Bruges.

9 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Having lived in the south of the Netherlands for many years and being very familiar with north Belgium (Flanders), I have always called the Flemish city Brugge (Broo-ga) by its Flemish name.  That includes its main football club: Club Brugge KV and not FC Bruges as it is called by the Walloons and French speakers. 

However, I notice that most of the English media refer to the club by its French pronunciation.

Am I wrong.  We do not refer to Antwerp as Anvers so why do the English speakers refer to Brugge as Bruges.

Most English speakers refer to the city by its French name: Bruges. It's as simple as that. (I think the "FC" part is an anglicization though? I'm sure they would refer to themselves a Clube de Bruges in French.)

Similar story with FC Basel, although there is probably a smaller proportion these days who still refer to them as the French Basle rather than their preferred German Basel.

Glamorgan Jambo

I guess it's because there's an ancient English name for the city of Bruges just like there's an ancient English name for Antwerp (Antwerpen/Anvers) and Brussels (Brussel/Bruxelles).

Incidentally the only double I ever scored in my football career was in a pre season friendkly against a team from Bruges (they have literally hundreds of afiliates of Brugge/Bruges).

10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

More recognisable style of pronunciation to the English ear. I’d be willing to bet a lot of the people in the UK aren’t even aware of Flemish as a thing. 

?

See the source image

25 minutes ago, Tazio said:

More recognisable style of pronunciation to the English ear. I’d be willing to bet a lot of the people in the UK aren’t even aware of Flemish as a thing. 

I was vaguely aware of Flemish but was educated about it by a prick in Brussels . After nipping my head he then wanted to fight me because I didn't speak Gaelic .

August Landmesser
44 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

There's always the odd anomaly, like why we say Bayern Munich instead of Bavaria Munich or Bayern Munchen

See also; Inter Milan & AC Milan instead of Inter(nazionale) & Milan

17 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

See also; Inter Milan & AC Milan instead of Inter(nazionale) & Milan

Yep, which makes me cringe at how the name 'Inter Miami' came about

I believe that we should always use the pronunciation as used by the natives of any particular city. Similarly with the spelling of place names, albeit within the limitations of our alphabet.

Edited by Footballfirst

1 hour ago, Tasavallan said:

image.jpeg

54 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Sounds like he had been on the Leffe. 

A swift boot in the Leightons would have shut his yap.

Sensible girlfriend got rid of him

1 hour ago, jonnothejambo said:

I find it ignorant not to call these clubs by their correct pronunciation but I'm probably in the minority. 

Mind you my US colleagues used to say Edinbro.....

:phface:

Edinborrow 🤣

Going to see Man Citeh play Bruges in the Champions League early November. Work thing but I will just be getting wired into the grog n nosh!

Салатные палочки

I remember the Zeebrugge disaster and the media pronouncing it as "Zee-brugg-a". No one ever said the Zee-bruges disaster. Zeebrugge I assume means something like sea of Brugges. 

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I remember the Zeebrugge disaster and the media pronouncing it as "Zee-brugg-a". No one ever said the Zee-bruges disaster. Zeebrugge I assume means something like sea of Brugges. 

To the best of my limited knowledge, yes.

Doctor FinnBarr
12 hours ago, john thomas said:

I was vaguely aware of Flemish but was educated about it by a prick in Brussels . After nipping my head he then wanted to fight me because I didn't speak Gaelic .

Flemish is spoken widely in Belgium apart from Brussels which only has a few Flemish speaking enclaves.

We, me wife and mate wandered into a wee Flemish bar in Brussels where we bumped into a "local". He was from fickin Hamilton. Didn't take him long to return to form and start abusing Catholics, Pakistanis and blacks. We tried to explain to the barman he was going to get a kicking if he persisted, he bolted.

Guy lived 20k from Brussels and got the train in with his pushbike in tow, hope he wasn't too upset when he returned to find 2 flat tyres and his bike reeking of piss.

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

Goldstone Wonder
19 hours ago, Poseidon said:

There's always the odd anomaly, like why we say Bayern Munich instead of Bavaria Munich or Bayern Munchen

Even more confusingly, in Italy and Spain they call that team Bayern Monaco, as Monaco is their version of Munich! 

I lived just outside of Dordrecht.   FC Dordrecht were basically a yoyo club.  When I was there, Advocaat was their manager and MdV played with them before joining Hearts.  Living in South Holland, it was a short trip to Antwerp and to see many of the Flemish clubs.  To my ears Flemish was just Dutch spoken with an accent.  KV Oostende was a favourite weekend visit.  Just a drive down the coast.  They are currently owned by a Hong Kong businessman and I expect them to rise.

Belgium and Netherlands are similar in size of population to Scotland and their football leagues are similar in size too, each with a couple of oversized clubs looking for a bigger place.

SomethingAboutObua

Tbf I have heard old folk refer to Antwerp as Anvers (saying it as "Annvers" not "Awnverr" of course)

I've always heard them being called Club never FC, for Brugge my guess would be historically English media would always rather use the French term than Dutch, and would have read the name Club Broozh before hearing any Flemish rep calling them Club Broogguh. Another guess would be a few Belgian teams follow English naming customs, so Royal Antwerp are called Royal Antwerp in Belgium, (Royal) Standard (de) Liege get "Standard" from an English mens club in Paris, and Sporting Club Anderlecht and Racing Genk etc. Would imagine early reports assumed English football name = English city name? 

5 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

I lived just outside of Dordrecht.   FC Dordrecht were basically a yoyo club.  When I was there, Advocaat was their manager and MdV played with them before joining Hearts.  Living in South Holland, it was a short trip to Antwerp and to see many of the Flemish clubs.  To my ears Flemish was just Dutch spoken with an accent.  KV Oostende was a favourite weekend visit.  Just a drive down the coast.  They are currently owned by a Hong Kong businessman and I expect them to rise.

Belgium and Netherlands are similar in size of population to Scotland and their football leagues are similar in size too, each with a couple of oversized clubs looking for a bigger place.

I lived in Maastricht for a while (weird language down there , barely got close to Dutch) and was used to Dutch & Belgians speaking - Flemish & Dutch is very similar but def not the same. In saying that, the way Belgians & Dutch pronounce "g" might explain why English speakers use the French name for Bruges because it is very difficult for non native speakers to pronounce "Brugge" properly (in my experience, most Scots could get close but English people were hopeless). Also  a possibility that English ears are just used to hearing the French speakers of Belgium so got accustomed to "Brooges". 

21 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

They did , but in Dutch (and I'm sure Flemish also) it's not a hard "g" but it's pronounced something like "Zaybrookhe". As I said above, I think that's why the Flemish pronunciation would be near impossible for English people hence the smoother French "Brooges".