One for the Stattos

Gimme an H...

Bored at work so I've just sifted through all the league tables in Scottish football history to find your answers. Apologies if I've made a mistake however.

Only counting seasons in which we've been in the same division of course, there have been 108 seasons in which we've played in the same division. 107 in the top flight, and one season in the 2nd tier. 

As it stands, by my count, we lead the way 63-45.

Quite interesting going through the years to see how it worked out. Despite Hearts being a Scottish Cup force in the late 1890's-early 1900's, Hibs finished above us for quite a few seasons in a row. During WW1, depsite our plight, we still managed to routinely finish above them. 

I didn't even realise til now as well that they were missing from the top flight for a few seasons during the 1930's. One startlng statistic though, is that if we fail to finish above them this season, that is a full decade since we finished above them in a top flight season.

8 minutes ago, Locky said:

Bored at work so I've just sifted through all the league tables in Scottish football history to find your answers. Apologies if I've made a mistake however.

Only counting seasons in which we've been in the same division of course, there have been 108 seasons in which we've played in the same division. 107 in the top flight, and one season in the 2nd tier. 

Quite interesting going through the years to see how it worked out. Despite Hearts being a Scottish Cup force in the late 1890's-early 1900's, Hibs finished above us for quite a few seasons in a row. During WW1, depsite our plight, we still managed to routinely finish above them. 

I didn't even realise til now as well that they were missing from the top flight for a few seasons during the 1930's. One startlng statistic though, is that if we fail to finish above them this season, that is a full decade since we finished above them in a top flight season.

Wow, cheers Locky.

That will do nicely.

53 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

How many times have Hearts finished above Hibs in the league since Hibs were formed?

Best stat........which team is the only team to win a lower league 2 years in a row?

After being reformed, Hibs won the inaugural Division Two championship. Bizarrely (says who?), were refused admission to Division One for the 1894–95 season and Clyde were promoted instead.[27] Hibs won the Division Two championship for a second time in 1894–95.

19 minutes ago, Locky said:

This must be put right this season as that's not acceptable what so ever.

1 hour ago, Gimme an H... said:

How many times have Hearts finished above Hibs in the league since Hibs were formed?

Depends if you include Hibernians and the period Hibs ceased to exist. Their history is muddled but they have taken the Scottish Cup won by Hibernians. A completely different club. 🤣

22 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Best stat........which team is the only team to win a lower league 2 years in a row?

After being reformed, Hibs won the inaugural Division Two championship. Bizarrely (says who?), were refused admission to Division One for the 1894–95 season and Clyde were promoted instead.[27] Hibs won the Division Two championship for a second time in 1894–95.

The original "Hibernians " had died when Celtic "stole" all their players in 1888 so there was no team in existence when the League started in 1891 - Hearts were the only non-Western team in the league then. A new team started up about 1892 (I read a Hibs book once!) but have nothing to do with the original team - in a local pub after training they were quized by the publican if they were anything to do with the "Irishmen" as he was due a wedge of money (along with many other local businesses). The new club replied "No, we are completely separate". They claim the 1887 Scottish Cup win but that really was a different team.

When the Second Division started, Hibs joined BUT despite winning it, the Scottish League were wary about their finances so did not fully trust them - hence not promoting them. A further year later they were finally fely worthy of promotion.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

With regard to not finishing above them in a top flight season in a decade, total anomaly. Why are we beating ourselves up, when we finished above them in the Championship and then they werent in the same league the following year. A very odd decade for various reasons

24 minutes ago, JTJ said:

The original "Hibernians " had died when Celtic "stole" all their players in 1888 so there was no team in existence when the League started in 1891 - Hearts were the only non-Western team in the league then. A new team started up about 1892 (I read a Hibs book once!) but have nothing to do with the original team - in a local pub after training they were quized by the publican if they were anything to do with the "Irishmen" as he was due a wedge of money (along with many other local businesses). The new club replied "No, we are completely separate". They claim the 1887 Scottish Cup win but that really was a different team.

When the Second Division started, Hibs joined BUT despite winning it, the Scottish League were wary about their finances so did not fully trust them - hence not promoting them. A further year later they were finally fely worthy of promotion.

So all this ‘Since 1875’ mince is just that. Since 1892 has a much better ring to it. Even worse than Sevco. 

Not quite the same question but loosely related, we are 852 points better of than hibs in the all time premier league table. We have played 135 more games but thats mostly due to hibs being in lower league(s) more often.

Points per game wise its us: 1.55, them: 1.38

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/sco-premiership/

Assuming we are both in the top flight, it would take hibs to finish 20 points ahead of us for the next 43 seasons to overtake us.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

6 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

With regard to not finishing above them in a top flight season in a decade, total anomaly. Why are we beating ourselves up, when we finished above them in the Championship and then they werent in the same league the following year. A very odd decade for various reasons

Correct and throw in a points deduction in one of the seasons

50 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Depends if you include Hibernians and the period Hibs ceased to exist. Their history is muddled but they have taken the Scottish Cup won by Hibernians. A completely different club. 🤣

As the popular terrace chant of the late 19th, early 20th century went...

"You let your club die,

You let your club diiiiie,

In 1891, you let your club die."

Following the cup final in 1896 that chant was often followed up with...

"It should have been five,

It should have been fiiiive,

You lucky hornswogglers,

It should have been five."

Both fell out of fashion sometime around WW1, but I'm always amazed how few people seen to be aware of the historic roots of today's football chants.

40 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Following 2 years they were still down.

37 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Not quite the same question but loosely related, we are 852 points better of than hibs in the all time premier league table. We have played 135 more games but thats mostly due to hibs being in lower league(s) more often.

Assuming we are both in the top flight, it would take hibs to finish 20 points ahead of us for the next 43 seasons to overtake us.

Love this 🤣🤣🤣

38 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Superb :rofl: 

wentworth jambo
35 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

That's a cracking table I hadn't seen before...also helps dispel the "flair" myth - despite only playing 135 less games than us in the top flight, their goal difference is 1194 worse, mainly because we've scored and averaged more goals than them over more games.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
27 minutes ago, Silvery_Moon said:

Following 2 years they were still down.

Yip, not just the one, despite Rangers Hibsing it in the cup Hibs still Hibsed it in the League

Lord Beni of Gorgie
21 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

To hell with the stats, we're good, they're shite.  End of thread.

:lol:

The perfect summary

3 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

In their entire history they've  won only 9 games more than they've lost!

:vrwow: 

:sweeet:

Stats start from 1892 when we competed for the first time in league form.

Award given for the highest league placing between the 2 teams each year.  

Note as an example: Finishing 1st in the second tier when there were 12 teams in first is classed as 13th.

Highest league placing
2021 Hibs
2020 Hibs
2019 Hibs
2018 Hibs
2017 Hearts
2016 Hearts
2015 Hearts
2014 Hibs
2013 Hibs
2012 Hearts
2011 Hearts
2010 Hibs
2009 Hearts
2008 Hibs
2007 Hearts
2006 Hearts
2005 Hibs
2004 Hearts
2003 Hearts
2002 Hearts
2001 Hibs
2000 Hearts
1999 Hearts
1998 Hearts
1997 Hearts
1996 Hearts
1995 Hibs
1994 Hibs
1993 Hearts
1992 Hearts
1991 Hearts
1990 Hearts
1989 Hibs
1988 Hearts
1987 Hearts
1986 Hearts
1985 Hearts
1984 Hearts
1983 Hibs
1982 Hibs
1981 Hearts
1980 Hibs
1979 Hibs
1978 Hibs
1977 Hibs
1976 Hibs
1975 Hibs
1974 Hibs
1973 Hibs
1972 Hibs
1971 Hearts
1970 Hibs
1969 Hearts
1968 Hibs
1967 Hibs
1966 Hibs
1965 Hearts
1964 Hearts
1963 Hearts
1962 Hearts
1961 Hearts
1960 Hearts
1959 Hearts
1958 Hearts
1957 Hearts
1956 Hearts
1955 Hearts
1954 Hearts
1953 Hibs
1952 Hibs
1951 Hibs
1950 Hibs
1949 Hibs
1948 Hibs
1947 Hibs
1938 Hearts
1937 Hearts
1936 Hearts
1935 Hearts
1934 Hearts
1933 Hearts
1932 Hearts
1931 Hearts
1930 Hearts
1929 Hearts
1928 Hearts
1927 Hibs
1926 Hearts
1925 Hibs
1924 Hibs
1923 Hibs
1922 Hibs
1921 Hearts
1920 Hearts
1919 Hearts
1918 Hearts
1917 Hearts
1916 Hearts
1915 Hearts
1914 Hearts
1913 Hearts
1912 Hearts
1911 Hibs
1910 Hibs
1909 Hibs
1908 Hibs
1907 Hearts
1906 Hearts
1905 Hibs
1904 Hearts
1903 Hibs
1902 Hearts
1901 Hibs
1900 Hibs
1899 Hearts
1898 Hibs
1897 Hearts
1896 Hibs
1895 Hearts
1894 Hearts
1893 Hearts
1892 Hearts

Hearts 72
Hibs 50
Edited by i8hibsh

@Locky looks like you only included the seasons when we were both in the same top flight.  My stats are more who was 'top dog' that season.  So for example Hearts in 2016 as Hibs were in 2nd tier.  Hibs in 1978 etc.

Edited by i8hibsh

4 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

@Locky looks like you only included the seasons when we were both in the same top flight.  My stats are more who was 'top dog' that season.  So for example Hearts in 2016 as Hibs were in 2nd tier.  Hibs in 1978 etc.

Yeah I just went for the years we played in the same division. Yours make even better reading. :lol: