***Official Ross County vs Heart Of Midlothian Match Thread***

William H. Bonney

42 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hopefully another day you'll be gutted anaw, as we collect another 3 points and remain unbeaten. 

Ha. I didn't say we wouldn't collect 3 points. I think we probably will.

I am not looking for flair (leave that with the lochenders) - would like us play to our full potential though.

We aren't.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Harry Potter

• King prawn

• GinRummy

• Hearts1975

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, lost in space said:

Ha. I didn't say we wouldn't collect 3 points. I think we probably will.

I am not looking for flair (leave that with the lochenders) - would like us play to our full potential though.

We aren't.

Nobody knows our full potential.

Also 3rd place could very well be it. 

Also, Several players joined only a few a few weeks ago so we'll Likley improve as they do. 

15 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nobody knows our full potential.

Also 3rd place could very well be it. 

Also, Several players joined only a few a few weeks ago so we'll Likley improve as they do. 

Agree re new players. Woodburn will improve as he gets fitter. Mackay looks a real danger and Devlin will add to the pool.

3rd place may well be our full potential (whoever manager is) - but there is a real possibility, under Neilson, that we will never know.

Isn't it great that for the first time in what feels like 50 years, we don't have to worry about a massive catalogue of long term injuries to key players

Tom Hardy’s Dug
40 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Isn't it great that for the first time in what feels like 50 years, we don't have to worry about a massive catalogue of long term injuries to key players

Well. If there was ever a ****ing massive “jinx post” there it is…

Just now, Barack said:

Ross County 1 Hearts 0.

If our forward line decides to choke again, then this is a possibility. 

So important that we start strongly and force them back, but actually capitalise on that. Until your pressure leads to a goal, its pointless. Hibs were still dangerous despite our pressure and but for Gordons heroics (both keepers played incredible), we might have been spewing we'd chucked away points. 

Think @Smith's right boot has already made the point that we need to start getting more bodies in the box/ forward. Expecting any of our wingers to hit Boyce when there is likely the GK and 4 defenders is insanely stupid % wise. We badly need Haring and Beni making runs in and at least taking the pressure off Boyce and giving the defenders something to think about. 

I don't doubt Robbie knows what he's doing with this formation, but we need to be getting Boyce the support he needs. We have a 20 goal a season striker if we use him effectively. 

17 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Well. If there was ever a ****ing massive “jinx post” there it is…

If you're looking for a jinx post, try Barack.

Bazzas right boot
43 minutes ago, OTT said:

If our forward line decides to choke again, then this is a possibility. 

So important that we start strongly and force them back, but actually capitalise on that. Until your pressure leads to a goal, its pointless. Hibs were still dangerous despite our pressure and but for Gordons heroics (both keepers played incredible), we might have been spewing we'd chucked away points. 

Think @Smith's right boot has already made the point that we need to start getting more bodies in the box/ forward. Expecting any of our wingers to hit Boyce when there is likely the GK and 4 defenders is insanely stupid % wise. We badly need Haring and Beni making runs in and at least taking the pressure off Boyce and giving the defenders something to think about. 

I don't doubt Robbie knows what he's doing with this formation, but we need to be getting Boyce the support he needs. We have a 20 goal a season striker if we use him effectively. 

Agreed, we might see Haring out for McKay/ Devlin v the " lesser" teams especially at home ore we might even see a variation of the 442 to get more bodies in the box and midfielders breaking the lines.

Beni surprised me on Sunday he was far more purposeful and direct , maybe he might go more forward with Haring the sitting the player.

I personally see McKay starting most games sooner rather than later as well. Some will be dropped for him.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, lost in space said:

Agree re new players. Woodburn will improve as he gets fitter. Mackay looks a real danger and Devlin will add to the pool.

3rd place may well be our full potential (whoever manager is) - but there is a real possibility, under Neilson, that we will never know.

What does that mean?

We will never know either way under him or any manager.

12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

What does that mean?

We will never know either way under him or any manager.

What it means is - that Neilsons "too careful" approach (IMO) has the danger of stifling a team that could do better.

I am not looking for him to "do a Stendal" but if for example he had allowed Cochrane to get outside hibs defenders (as he did very late in the game), we might win instead of drawing games.

I watched part of training this morning. Smith, Halkett and Ginelly were absent while I was there.  I can't think of anyone else who didn't train.  Cammy Logan and Luke Rathie also took a full part.

Jamie Brandon was also doing some running under the supervision of one of the physios / sports scientists,

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Always thought these are the kind of games Neilson has done better than any other recent Hearts manager. 

3 1 piece of piss

Bazzas right boot
37 minutes ago, lost in space said:

What it means is - that Neilsons "too careful" approach (IMO) has the danger of stifling a team that could do better.

I am not looking for him to "do a Stendal" but if for example he had allowed Cochrane to get outside hibs defenders (as he did very late in the game), we might win instead of drawing games.

So it mean's nothing, thanks for clarification. 

Bazzas right boot
18 minutes ago, Barack said:

Maybe. Happy to be proven wrong. I was one of the few who predicted a draw last week however. Maybe not turgid & boring, but the hype over both teams

was OTT. Reflected in a stalemate.

Our super*(sarcasm*) record in Dingwall, coupled with County's efforts to find a first win, added into despite them not having a great start, makes me think we could quite easily be the first to gift them points.

They've had the OF, Aberdeen, Hibs & now us, in the opening 6 games. Tough start for any team. 

Booo

🤣

Lord Beni of Gorgie
31 minutes ago, Barack said:

Maybe. Happy to be proven wrong. I was one of the few who predicted a draw last week however. Maybe not turgid & boring, but the hype over both teams

Our super*(sarcasm*) record in Dingwall, coupled with County's efforts to find a first win, added into despite them not having a great start, makes me think we could quite easily be the first to gift them points.

They've had the OF, Aberdeen, Hibs & now us, in the opening 6 games. Tough start for any team. 

Disagree. That was probably the highest quality Edinburgh derby in a long time.  Game was constantly on a knife edge, both teams looked to move the ball on the deck and both teams showed remarkable tactical discipline. 

Not since 2005/6 have both teams had such a strong squad simultaneously. It was a game of pretty high quality for the fixture 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
15 minutes ago, S Form said:

Desperate for us to win this and give their c u next Tuesday of an owner a thoroughly miserable evening.

I'm on your bus

39 minutes ago, Barack said:

Logic now. wtf has happened to this place. Just predict we’ll smash **** out of them and be in the happy gang. 

47 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

So it mean's nothing, thanks for clarification. 

Clarification wasn't really required was it? We both surely knew a concept outside your own head means nothing to you.

11 minutes ago, lost in space said:

Clarification wasn't really required was it? We both surely knew a concept outside your own head means nothing to you.

Wasting your time follow my lead if he posts more than 3 times on a thread let it be known you are not playing as it's a farce. 

40 minutes ago, keifrb said:

Would like Smith to be dropped as he has been off the boil all season, but unsure what option for RWB.  McAneff, or move Haring there and bring in Devlin.

There's no other alternative to Smith. Logan, possibly but he needs a few subs appearances before folk can start shouting for him to start tbf. 

Smith might not be great going forward but defensively, his positioning and understanding of that role is great, certainly better than anyone else. 

Haring couldn't play there, not a chance. 

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

I watched part of training this morning. Smith, Halkett and Ginelly were absent while I was there.  I can't think of anyone else who didn't train.  Cammy Logan and Luke Rathie also took a full part.

Jamie Brandon was also doing some running under the supervision of one of the physios / sports scientists,

forgive my ignorance FF who is Rathie ?

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

There's no other alternative to Smith. Logan, possibly but he needs a few subs appearances before folk can start shouting for him to start tbf. 

Smith might not be great going forward but defensively, his positioning and understanding of that role is great, certainly better than anyone else. 

Haring couldn't play there, not a chance. 

do we have to play with a wingback if we don't have one? we could always play another formation that might include someone up beside Boyce.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

If Smith is a doubt I think that justifies a formation change to a back 4. No danger can Moore or Haring play RWB.

4-2-3-1 would allow nobody to play out of position.

1 minute ago, Lfhearts said:

Wasting your time follow my lead if he posts more than 3 times on a thread let it be known you are not playing as it's a farce. 

Thanks Lf  - I actually don't mind SRB. He can sometimes post amusing comments but mostly takes him self too seriously and takes on all comers. Tries to look smarter than he is and gets abusive when losing.

Will look out for the "3 times" bit.

6 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

do we have to play with a wingback if we don't have one? we could always play another formation that might include someone up beside Boyce.

I'd say aye because it has worked well so far. Even if we changed to a back 4, we still don't have a proper alternative to Smith. We were crying out for a RWB in the summer. 

Edited by Cruyff

1 hour ago, cookieboy said:

forgive my ignorance FF who is Rathie ?

Luke Rathie is a 16 year old centre back who was given a full time contract during the close season.  He's a big strong lad and the coaching staff obviously see some potential there.

Having had a think about this now, I think Ross County are not scoring, so basically If we score, we win imo.  Predicting County 0-1 Hearts. Ben Woodburn with the goal.

Bazzas right boot

Team that can't buy a goal, without a win and Hearts come rocking along as favourites..... 

I've seen this movie before. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

portobellojambo1

Hoping for a win of any sort, and that we make our intentions reasonably clear from kick off. An early goal if possible, then build on that to look to double it. Then if we take our foot off the gas for a period I have no problem with that, I don't expect us to attack for 90 minutes non stop, that is unrealistic. But creating something to then hold onto is better than sitting off constantly, getting hit by the opposition and being unable to get back into the game late on.

I look at our squad and feel confident that we have players capable of winning every match. We just need to approach games with  the correct mentality, and that comes from the manager. Lining up with seven defensive players in the starting XI every week is having an effect on our ability to score goals. We control games a lot better but we're just not dangerous enough for the players we now have at our disposal. I may well be wrong and others may see it differently but that's just the feeling I get when I watch the side.

We're in a good place, obviously, and I think our spirit and quality should shine through at the weekend.

Ross County 0 - 1 Heart of Midlothian

Woodburn the scorer.

Byyy The Light
10 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If Smith is a doubt I think that justifies a formation change to a back 4. No danger can Moore or Haring play RWB.

4-2-3-1 would allow nobody to play out of position.

In this formation you are still relying on your fullbacks getting up and down the pitch to provide any kind of width otherwise your winger is up against 2 men and it’s easy to nullify.

Hearts for too long have helped teams that are struggling and in bad form. Tomorrow is a massive match. Win and we are onto something and our away form finally beginning to look better. Come on the hearts. Get the win

...andFulton'sBaggio

Same team as last week, but Gnando to come on around 70th minute and grab a last minute winner. Woodburn with the other goal. 2-1 Hearts

Or 1-2 for you pedants out there 🙃

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Team that can't buy a goal, without a win and Hearts come rocking along as favourites..... 

I've seen this movie before. 

Yup - It's a potential banana skin that's for sure. I hope with the competition for places we have that anyone who comes in or comes off the bench does so with a point to prove and that we play with some intensity. 

23 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

We’ve talked about how we’ve had a tougher start, Hibs beat Ross County 3-0 so there’s your 3 goal goal difference advantage.

Big difference between putting three past them at home and putting three past them at Dingwall

12 minutes ago, Jamiemac said:

Pre match press conference from Lee McCulloch:

https://t.co/SasJKz5W6o 

Speaks about challenging the old firm, Craig Gordon and the threat of Ross County. 

Good to see the coaches have plenty ambition. 

Reads appreciated

Enjoyed that, thanks for posting.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 hour ago, Halliphax said:

Big difference between putting three past them at home and putting three past them at Dingwall

Not that big, same players on the park, and a big support will be behind the Hearts players.

Mainly the point was about how, we’ve said Hearts have had the harder start and that’s true. But now it is time for us to back that up.

Need to do the business against the bottom 2 and show our quality in front of goal because there will be chances. None of this conserving a 1-0 advantage, that leaves you vulnerable to a 1-1 draw. We need to take multiple chances and put these games to bed.

...andFulton'sBaggio
1 hour ago, Jamiemac said:

Pre match press conference from Lee McCulloch:

https://t.co/SasJKz5W6o 

Speaks about challenging the old firm, Craig Gordon and the threat of Ross County. 

Good to see the coaches have plenty ambition. 

Reads appreciated

Another great article, cheers 👍