My Thoughts On First Edinburgh Derby

CARDIFFBOY

Now the dust has settled I just thought I would give you my thoughts after watching my first Edinburgh Derby, the most  overriding factor for me was how well the two rival sets of fans are controlled and policed to avoid any confrontations, I did the walk down Dalry Road and Gorgie Road from Haymarket and hardly saw any Hibs and the few that I did come across we’re shirters and scarfs and no sign of any Casuals. The atmosphere in the stadium was probably electric but from my seat in The Wheatfield all I could hear was us Jambos, in all honesty on the day I don’t think there was much between the two teams and I got the feeling that towards the end both teams settled for the draw. I still think that this will be a season to remember and I confidently expect us to finish in the top 4 which would be excellent. On the walk back to Haymarket after the game again no sign of any Hibs so it must be well controlled. I have attended hate filled local derbies in England and Wales but usually these are between clubs from cities about 20 or so miles apart and there has been absolute carnage! Maybe it makes a big difference when the rivals are from the same city? Anyway I can’t wait for the next Derby with hopefully a better result. HHGH Terry

Edited by CARDIFFBOY

Very rarely any bother near the stadium, if anything kicks off its usually away from the stadium and later on in the night, International bar few years ago for example. Heard there was some pavement dancing on Princess street on sunday but no idea if it was Hearts and hibs. Having experienced the Newcastle Sunderland derby I know what you mean about carnage, that was an eye opener as a young lad. Thankfully our hatred for each other stays in the stands, mostly.

Glad you enjoyed it CARDIFFBOY, good to have you on board, yer on the right side of the city 👍

Edited by jamboozy

3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

There was trouble just off the royal mile where the pub with loads of screens is.  Forget the name now sorry. 

Mitre?

2 hours ago, jamboozy said:

Glad you enjoyed it CARDIFFBOY, good to have you on board, yer on the right side of the city 👍

Forgot to add that the buzz I get when I see the Tynecastle Arms and Tynecastle Park and when I am up in Section G with a great bunch of lads makes me realise I bloody love this Club and it’s loyal fans and makes my 400 miles trip by train bloody worth it! What an amazing Club. HHGH Terry

Tynecastle sits between roads that can be closed and it allows the police to separate the fans easily. That's why there is never any bother near the ground.

6 hours ago, CARDIFFBOY said:

Now the dust has settled I just thought I would give you my thoughts after watching my first Edinburgh Derby, the most  overriding factor for me was how well the two rival sets of fans are controlled and policed to avoid any confrontations, I did the walk down Dalry Road and Gorgie Road from Haymarket and hardly saw any Hibs and the few that I did come across we’re shirters and scarfs and no sign of any Casuals. The atmosphere in the stadium was probably electric but from my seat in The Wheatfield all I could hear was us Jambos, in all honesty on the day I don’t think there was much between the two teams and I got the feeling that towards the end both teams settled for the draw. I still think that this will be a season to remember and I confidently expect us to finish in the top 4 which would be excellent. On the walk back to Haymarket after the game again no sign of any Hibs so it must be well controlled. I have attended hate filled local derbies in England and Wales but usually these are between clubs from cities about 20 or so miles apart and there has been absolute carnage! Maybe it makes a big difference when the rivals are from the same city? Anyway I can’t wait for the next Derby with hopefully a better result. HHGH Terry

Good post, mate. As you say, let’s hope for a better result next time. Mind you, our record at Easter Rd is better than theirs so the signs are probably good 😊

Glamorgan Jambo
6 hours ago, CARDIFFBOY said:

Great you enjoyed it Terry. And you’re right there’s a keen rivalry but nothing like the hatred between for example Cardiff and Swansea or even Cardiff and Bristol C. 

I remember a few years ago driving past Ninian Park on the day of a Cardiff Bristol game. It was lunchtime as I’d never drive down Sloper Road close to KO but there were literally several thousand Cardiff fans hanging around. When I got home I cursed myself that I hadn’t clocked that it was a lunchtime game only to find it was still a 3 pm kickoff. To cut a long story short the huge turnout was to give pelters to the Bristol team coach when they arrived and especially Swansea legend Lee Trundle who by then was at Bristol City.

Was a good 0-0 watch with plenty atmosphere.  It's a shame the likes of Millwall West Ham, Newcastle Sunderland, Birmingham/WBA/Villa are in different leagues as I love the passion of these games. 

10 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Nah the one down niddrie street.  The globe. 

That's where all the younger Hibs CCS drink along with a few of their Jimmy Connolly Republican friends, there's been a number of liberties taken in and around that pub before lockdown. 

Shithole of an establishment perfect for cowardly cowards who thrive for cowardly violence against the uninterested public. 

Didn't think the atmosphere was that great to be honest, but that's what happens when the game is played at 12.00 on a Sunday. Play it the same time as the league opener, 20.00 on a Saturday night and then you'd get an electric atmosphere😊

Yeah atmosphere was abit flat in my opinion, number of factors - not much needle or controversy, ref was keen to keep cards in pocket, time of day, and first Derby of season can always be tense and nervy. The game needed a goal to kick-start it.  Dont really understand the 12.00 kick off there isn't a history of violence and then they typically through in a night game in the same season, strange.

43 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Yeah atmosphere was abit flat in my opinion, number of factors - not much needle or controversy, ref was keen to keep cards in pocket, time of day, and first Derby of season can always be tense and nervy. The game needed a goal to kick-start it.  Dont really understand the 12.00 kick off there isn't a history of violence and then they typically through in a night game in the same season, strange.

12pm KO is for Sky television.

16 hours ago, Glamorgan Jambo said:

Great you enjoyed it Terry. And you’re right there’s a keen rivalry but nothing like the hatred between for example Cardiff and Swansea or even Cardiff and Bristol C. 

I remember a few years ago driving past Ninian Park on the day of a Cardiff Bristol game. It was lunchtime as I’d never drive down Sloper Road close to KO but there were literally several thousand Cardiff fans hanging around. When I got home I cursed myself that I hadn’t clocked that it was a lunchtime game only to find it was still a 3 pm kickoff. To cut a long story short the huge turnout was to give pelters to the Bristol team coach when they arrived and especially Swansea legend Lee Trundle who by then was at Bristol City.

Hi Glamorgan Jambo, yeah the Cardiff Swansea thing is pure hatred between two cities 40 miles apart and one which is the Capital City and is perceived to get everything and one which thinks they get nothing! To be honest I think Swansea are obsessed with Cardiff and Cardiff really couldn’t care less about Swansea. Incidentally, are you based in Cardiff and how do you get up for the home games at Tynecastle?  Terry HHGH

5 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

They had nothing of note on until 4.30pm, I would wager it was police/authorities.

They had Notts Forest v Cardiff live at 2.30pm, Leeds v Liverpool at 4.30pm

And Tottenham women v Man City women at 6.45pm. Sky put all these games before the SPL. 

When will people realise that Sky Sports treat Scottish football as the lowest of the low.

3 hours ago, jamboman9 said:

The fixture was moved for Sky.🤷

3 hours ago, jamboman9 said:

The fixture was moved for Sky.🤷

My (a Chesterfield fan) first experience  of an Edinburgh Derby too, loved the atmosphere both fans came across as respectfully passionate, likely to have been different with a later kick off I suspect.

Was dying for a Hearts goal for the roof to lift off, as a brilliant stadium for the acoustics. 

All the best for the rest of the season, get Gnando on the pitch and he'll keep you up there