Kids

rudi must stay

rudi must stay
14 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Quite right as adults should earn their respect...

Also that's a lot of rubbish their emotions havent developed enough to make such big decisions on people 

Just now, rudi must stay said:

Auld benches are you an old bench in Morocco 

Not sure.  Is that a good or bad thing?

Have kids ever really had respect since the 70s? 

Also that's a lot of rubbish their emotions havent developed enough to make such big decisions on people 

Don't take it seriously.   

Though some adults do demand respect when I'm not sure if they deserve it.  Not all of them but there is some.

Most kids are fine, it's just the usual ones who will argue against anything.  

rudi must stay
2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Not sure.  Is that a good or bad thing?

Have kids ever really had respect since the 70s? 

The Moroccan sands. Very good

Interesting point 

The Moroccan sands. Very good

Interesting point 

Ask teachers how difficult it is to discipline kids nowadays and you'll see kids won't accept things like they used to for the lack of things at their disposal.  

rudi must stay
3 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Ask teachers how difficult it is to discipline kids nowadays and you'll see kids won't accept things like they used to for the lack of things at their disposal.  

Ye I was disciplined as a kid and it did me good 

So was I but didn't like or respect how they would discipline us sometimes.  Using physical violence in front of a full room was barbaric.

Not sure if me getting disciplined dine me any good as I resented it due to some if it being unfair. 

luckyBatistuta

We wouldn’t want to hit our kids, but I have thanked my father for spanking me as one. Times have changed though and kids do have no fear of punishment for any wrong doing nowadays. The answer is just better parenting imo. My boys will say please, thank you, hold a door, etc and we have had people comment on how well behaved and polite they are, so we must be doing something right. Obviously don’t know what they’re up to when we are not with them, but we trust them. Just give them plenty love and respect them and they’ll respect you and others.

I remember some kids refusing to accept the tawse at school. Just meant they got chased around the class and battered even more when they were caught. Good old 1970s. 

Threaten removal of phone or computer.  But in general being the good kop that doesn't shout serves me good and they want to help out and be well mannered. 

Kids are dicks.

I say that as a parent and as a teacher.

All ages as well. Quick example?

Years ago a conversation with my 4 year old son went as follows.

"I'm making sandwiches for lunch bud. You can have ham, cheese or ham and cheese"

"......................"

"...you can have ham....or cheese....or both on a sandwich....what do you want"

'........Ham please dad.............no.....cheese please"

"Are you sure....cheese sandwich?"

"Eh.....uh-huh"

"Cheese sandwich yes?"

"Yes"

(Makes sandwich)

"Do you want it cut into squares or triangles bud"

"...........em dunno........triangles"

"OK..triangles"

"Triangles"

"Cool triangles it is"

"Dad?"

"Yes pal"

"Can I have an omelette?"

Ergo.....my son was being a dick.

But you learn though. Next time nae choice. Here's lunch.....now eat it you dick.

31 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

We wouldn’t want to hit our kids, but I have thanked my father for spanking me as one. Times have changed though and kids do have no fear of punishment for any wrong doing nowadays. The answer is just better parenting imo. My boys will say please, thank you, hold a door, etc and we have had people comment on how well behaved and polite they are, so we must be doing something right. Obviously don’t know what they’re up to when we are not with them, but we trust them. Just give them plenty love and respect them and they’ll respect you and others.

I'm a huge believer in you get the kids you deserve.

19 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

Kids are dicks.

I say that as a parent and as a teacher.

All ages as well. Quick example?

Years ago a conversation with my 4 year old son went as follows.

"I'm making sandwiches for lunch bud. You can have ham, cheese or ham and cheese"

"......................"

"...you can have ham....or cheese....or both on a sandwich....what do you want"

'........Ham please dad.............no.....cheese please"

"Are you sure....cheese sandwich?"

"Eh.....uh-huh"

"Cheese sandwich yes?"

"Yes"

(Makes sandwich)

"Do you want it cut into squares or triangles bud"

"...........em dunno........triangles"

"OK..triangles"

"Triangles"

"Cool triangles it is"

"Dad?"

"Yes pal"

"Can I have an omelette?"

Ergo.....my son was being a dick.

But you learn though. Next time nae choice. Here's lunch.....now eat it you dick.

i blame the parents in that scenario

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i blame the parents in that scenario

Me too. Who offers choice to a 4 year old!?!?! An idiot that's who!

But the idiot did learn.....

I was subject to corporal punishment at home by mother who at the sink mulling over some grievance I had caused had delayed punishment until she had thought about it, then administered the wet dish cloot sharply around my heid.

At school I was no stranger to the belt, thonged, double handed, one time an art teacher belted me until his arm got tired. I never went back to his class, and was never reported missing. A few years later a former guardsman, now a police officer, and a big strong boy, I saw hi in the Plaza dance hall, his eyes betrayed recognition and fear, that was better than physical punishment.

In the army, had a metal tipped pace stick pointed at my nostrils, threats of violence, made bed not satisfactory and the bedding tipped out of the window, marching the squad at a fast pace for extended periods.

Became a policeman, and because of my own background tried never to use solely my position to inflict physical punishment, but if asked for, they  got it, and good.

I only got hit from my dad once , and after he did he said he hadn’t enjoyed but thought it had been necessary I can’t recall what is was for . But I still recall it . It was no deterrent really . I Was still a nippy ^^^^😇 Physical violence from an adult On a child is abhorrent to me . It’s never the answer. 

Kids are mainly fine nowadays in fact I really like the “ good citizen “ model promoted by schools , in particular in primary schools . Kids are taught to be considerate and respectful and caring towards others . My wee nephew is a lovely example of this . He also has had excellent parenting . That’s where it starts from . 

Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, rudi must stay said:

so being belted by an adult for being a child is ok, can  i belt an adult if they doing something daft. Plenty teachers in my day were cruel and unsatisfied so took it out on the kids 

4 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

so being belted by an adult for being a child is ok, can  i belt an adult if they doing something daft. Plenty teachers in my day were cruel and unsatisfied so took it out on the kids 

👍

rudi must stay
18 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

You sound a nice man 

My daughter is now 19 and she was always well behaved with good manners. We found just speaking to them straight, explaining why some things are a no go, worked well. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times I actually had to raise my voice.

When I was at school (80s), was forever getting the belt, got a few skelps on the arse from my old man, but I was still a cocky wee shite who knew better.

If the fear of physical punishment actually worked, countries with the death penalty would have an almost 0 murder rate.

21 hours ago, JackLadd said:

I remember some kids refusing to accept the tawse at school. Just meant they got chased around the class and battered even more when they were caught. Good old 1970s. 

chased😮