Crap HMFC-related Claims to Fame!

Craig_

Shanks said no

Was walking through Corstorphine with my dad when he said "good morning" to a random older man. I asked him who that was, "Mr Walker" was the reply.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Pans Jambo

• Shanks said no

• Stu_HMFC

section s heart

Mate and I were travelling by bus to a holiday in England, bus was stopping in Newcastle for 20 minutes or so. Bus station was next to St James Park and we wrote to Ralph Callachan after his transfer there, asking if he would meet us. Surprised to find him there when the bus pulled in, and we chatted for a while before we headed off. Good lad.

Like many on here, we had POTY nights at our supporters club (Longstone) back in the 70s which were well attended by players. No problem with us young guys (underage) attending and we got to sell raffle tickets, including the chance to speak to the players. Again they were really good with us, helped by a few beers amongst them. 

35 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

So he has been places

Indeed. He’s also been seen on his push bike on the bottom road towards Prestonpans from Musselburgh. He gets around!

Samuel Camazzola

Met big Edgaras in Riga. He was out after a match with Marian Pahars who was his team mate at Skonto Riga. The great man just wanted to talk about Scottish Golf courses and Edinburgh bars! 

Met Rousset, Adam and Salvatori in McDonald’s on Princes Street one night after they had been at a game. Pretty drunk at the time but got a picture and just called them legends continuously. Sure I bought them Big Macs too 

George Cowie was up in Shetland doing some football coaching for some reason.

Possibly a bit of a sore point but I just had to ask him how the hell that St Mirren opener went in in the 1987 big cup semi. He was as gutted as I was at the memory. This was a good few years after 1987, I hasten to add.

The response was something along the lines of 'Aw, man, I know. I just don't know how it got in...'

Can I do three?

I stood next to Pressley (while working) in the tunnel at Tynecastle. He was injured and had special dispensation to watch the game from there as he couldn't sit for long periods. He gave a running commentary on the game which was really interesting and insightful. It was V Dunfermline and it was things like 'Don't worry, Niemi will save this penalty' and 'we'll score from this corner' amongst others. Obviously he was right.....

I used to live next door to Steve Banks. We've both since moved....

As a musician I've performed the pitch at Tynecastle. 

I've got another one re the 5-1 final but I'll save that for the 'not crap Hearts related claims to fame'. 

3 hours ago, VagabondJambo said:

Played golf a couple of times with the great Alex Young.

Been to a party or two and chatted with Eric Carruthers.

Enjoyed pints a number of times with Sandy Jardine (and John Greig) during his Rangers years.

Would any of that been in the Leamington Hotel in Bruntsfield.  Reason I ask is thai I enjoyed beverages in that establishment with Jardine and Carruthers from time to time.

Met many jambos when working in the Rutland, JC (friendly) and Big Dave (bought me a pint) among the best, Eamonn Bannon (a bit rude) among the worst. Used to see a lot of them in Fingers Piano Bar after work (is that place still going). Used to get the plane to Amsterdam quite regularly (for work, honest) and had JC, MDV and Jimmy Calderwood as fellow passengers a few times. Bumped into JC in a womens' fashion shop in Glasgow (both of us with bursds, he looked as bored as I was). Rixy lived a few doors along from my sister in Corstorphine when he was manager (kids kept indoors that summer). Not me but my mate saw Henry at a POTY do and asked him to order two cabs instead of one when Henry was leaving but the slippery **** only ordered one and left my mate fuming.

More details required please on flogging Wallace Mercer a house sold unseen including number of bedrooms and off-street parking etc.

Just remembered, not Hearts but snogged a bursd in Blackpool who said she was going out with a Hibs player at the time, later saw their wedding photo in the News. 

Edited by CostaJambo

Portable Badger
7 hours ago, The Tackle said:

Not Hearts related but refused to sell Riordan a vodka and orange juice just cos he was Hibs

You win !!

well done sir !!

Portable Badger

Early 80s and my mother dragged me into a charity shop in Corstorphine to get some school uniform.  We ended up starting to chat to the guy serving about Hearts for some reason.  As someone else entered the shop the guy just said “Well if it’s Hearts you want to talk about then maybe you should talk to this gentleman”.  I turned round and even as a young lad then my chin hit the floor!  We all had a lengthy chat. I asked for his autograph to which he replied “Give me your address and I’ll see what I can find”.  A week later an envelope arrived with four signed original photos of him playing for Hearts in his heyday.  I wrote a letter of thanks back to him and to my surprise I received a Christmas card from him for the next three years. What an amazing player and true gentleman Tommy Walker was.

1 hour ago, Portable Badger said:

Early 80s and my mother dragged me into a charity shop in Corstorphine to get some school uniform.  We ended up starting to chat to the guy serving about Hearts for some reason.  As someone else entered the shop the guy just said “Well if it’s Hearts you want to talk about then maybe you should talk to this gentleman”.  I turned round and even as a young lad then my chin hit the floor!  We all had a lengthy chat. I asked for his autograph to which he replied “Give me your address and I’ll see what I can find”.  A week later an envelope arrived with four signed original photos of him playing for Hearts in his heyday.  I wrote a letter of thanks back to him and to my surprise I received a Christmas card from him for the next three years. What an amazing player and true gentleman Tommy Walker was.

That is fantastic.  The good often seem to die young.  What a shame the war prevented him and Hearts winning trophies.  The 1st world war had a similar effect on our fortunes.

8 hours ago, Ribble said:

My first Hearts autograph was Graeme Hogg, couple of weeks later was his fight with Levein.

2nd autograph was Robbo’s, acquired via the local greengrocer whose son was neighbours with Robbo. Normally wouldn’t have anything to do with robbo and crap but instead of removing the paper sleeve from the Robbo goals vhs tape I was getting signed, he used a biro on the plastic outer sleeve, signature could have been anyone 

I lived in the same street as he did in Lovedean Hants, when he was with Portsmouth.

Alan McLaren was at my wedding back in 1989, it was a Friday and we had a game the next day but he was able to come as he was suspended due to getting sent off at Parkhead the previous week. Not sure if he got sent off deliberately or not. 😆

7 hours ago, SpruceBringsteen said:

Got my photo taken with Karate Keith in the Tynie Arms 😎

Must have been a 1/36,000 of a second exposure to catch him standing still

Scored at the school end against my wee brother. My Dad knew someone who knew Gary MacKay so we got a tour of Tynecastle on a Sunday after a game on the Saturday against Dundee (I think!). MacKay had also missed a penalty. Boardroom hadn't been tidied up either and was full of unfinished food and drink.

Saw Gary years ago out walking my dog, said 'Alright' to him.

Know Robbie Horn through mutual friends. Used to do shots of Aftershock in the Revolution on Lothian Road with him. He introduced me to Darren Goldie who was tipped to have a promising career with us, he was pished out his face. Robbie is a really nice guy though, top bloke.

I've seen Jamie Walker playing football with his son near his house in Prestonpans...he couldn't get the ball past his laddie either!

Edinburgh Airport, picking up my dad. Had been out all day playing football and was in my full Hearts kit including socks 😌 an airport employee spots me in passing and lets me know the full team are downstairs checking in. Gives me a pen, mum gives me a parking receipt and I proceed to pester every single last one of them for an autograph. Pretty sure I pissed off Paul Ritchie too 😆 stood for 10 mins waiting on JJ getting off the phone. No chance I was leaving without his 😅

Scored at Tynecastle in 2014 at the fans v fans match to raise funds for the club. Allan Preston took me off at about 80mins to let one of the other guys back on, I pleaded with him that if anyone else was wanting off could I please go back on. Luckily someone wanted off with about 4 minutes to go, and the rest is history. One of the best moments of my life. Had visions of me opening up my body and bending it right in the top corner - scuffed it but luckily the rain helped it slide under the keepers arm.

The keeper that day posts on here, not sure if I can post his username or whatever.

Also the Mrs just got to call Tynecastle her place of work for 6 weeks as part of Sweet FA. For anyone who went along, she played Daisy, and Campbell from the SFA. 

Ann Budge asked her for a selfie with her grandkids, Ann Park bought her a drink and she got to meet a few of the Gorgie legends, Gary Locke etc.

9 hours ago, Portable Badger said:

What a great memory that must be. 

13 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

Christophe Berra lives round the corner from me.

I've never spoken to him. 

Nice house in Meggetland eh I'm not surprised he never blamed Stendel for ruining his move to his new house like he done with the wedding 

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

I've seen Jamie Walker playing football with his son near his house in Prestonpans...he couldn't get the ball past his laddie either!

Could Imagine him in his Rangers top with his finger on his nose blowing out his snott

21 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Thought this deserved its own thread. In light of the distinctly underwhelming Kevin-Thomas-in-RBS-Queue revelations elsewhere, the question is, what is your worst HMFC claim to fame? The more obscure and mundane the better!

Had dinner aged about 10 at Sciennes Primary with Donald Ford in attendance to celebrate us winning the league...........forced to watch that bloody 1966 farce!

Shared an airport transfer coach with JJ.

Happy to talk at long lengths about fitba with folk despite being on a golfing holiday. Real gentleman.

Saw Sam Nicholson in Tesco Penicuik all the time. 

Used to see Billy Brown a lot at my sons fitba when we played Musselburgh Windsor. Don't know if he still coaches some of their teams.

Their defender elbowed my laddie pretty severely in the neck during a game once but he didn't think it was a foul.....my old man politely shouted that his eyesight may be impaired.

25 minutes ago, KevinKyle10 said:

Served Rudi in Tesco the day his return was announced. I didn’t even know he was back until I seen him.

Please tell us he was buying silver polish.....

:smugger:

15 minutes ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Had a summer job in a hotel in Fife in 1989 and the barmaid was Davie Kirkwood's ex.

Winner of most obscure ?

periodictabledancer
11 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Winner of most obscure ?

My lad was playing football on a French campsite and a French guy  noticed him/his shirt. Told me he was a team mate of Rousset in their early years at Lille. IIRC.

Getting pissed with Stephane Adam in a do after the 2006 cup win. We had the cup on our table. 

Was at a player of the year dance in Linlithgow and Henry Smith was standing at the bar so went up to him and said "I would buy you a pint but you would probably drop it"

If looks could kill. 

I served Ann Budge dinner once at a small private function in Edinburgh back in 2014.

Was a bit awestruck at the time due to the circumstances etc.

She clocked I was a jambo after about 2 minutes and was happy to chat for a few mins which was very cool

Portable Badger
2 hours ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

Had a summer job in a hotel in Fife in 1989 and the barmaid was Davie Kirkwood's ex.

Did you bone her though??

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Spoke to Stephane Paille at the bar in Indigo Yard. He was smoking and was well oiled but still coherent and a nice bloke. 

The same could not be said for Martin Geissler who was as pissed as a fart and could hardly stand.

I’ve spoken with Geissler a few times, on each occasion he has been in the state you describe.

4 hours ago, Stu_HMFC said:

Could Imagine him in his Rangers top with his finger on his nose blowing out his snott

Ach TBF his wee lad did have a Hearts top on :thumbs_up:

On 15/09/2021 at 16:29, The Frenchman Returns said:

Does he still live by the old academy in Bathgate? I could view his conservatory from my old living room

Yeah, well he did in May last year