Travel to Dingwall

Zaba

7 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Eh!!  I run a b & b in Inverness…..I’ve been cooking breakfasts for months.  I’d challenge them on this.  What I do know about the accommodation situation up here is, a lot of old fuddie duddies have quit doing this as a wee sort of retirement cash boost have given up.  The ones that have plodded on have either:  

1.  Upped their game (like me, currently graded 9.5 on booking.com……smug 😏) to deliver a safe and professional service or…..

2.  Cuffing it and making it up as they go along (which I believe your place is)…..bet they answer your door knock through their letterbox wearing this 😂😂:

A1897FD0-4979-479A-BD5E-653FC55E481B.gif

Thanks for info. We'll see what they say on Sat.

8 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Eh!!  I run a b & b in Inverness…..I’ve been cooking breakfasts for months.  I’d challenge them on this.  What I do know about the accommodation situation up here is, a lot of old fuddie duddies have quit doing this as a wee sort of retirement cash boost have given up.  The ones that have plodded on have either:  

1.  Upped their game (like me, currently graded 9.5 on booking.com……smug 😏) to deliver a safe and professional service or…..

2.  Cuffing it and making it up as they go along (which I believe your place is)…..bet they answer your door knock through their letterbox wearing this 😂😂:

Had the Waverley Inn booked for 6 weeks. The breakfast part isn’t important as I’ll have breakfast in Maryburgh at my Auntie’s house. Was a bit pissed off, however, that breakfast was (and still is) advertised on their site and despite, as I said, booking 6 weeks back it took them 5 weeks to tell me they hadn’t been doing them since January 2021, which in itself is a very bizarre time to close their kitchen, given that everything had been on/off for 10 months prior and were completely shut down in December. Phoned them up to ask how much would my bill be deducted by and the woman was rude as feck, basically telling me I should have known breakfast wasn’t on due to Covid. I countered with the fact hospitality has been fully open since May!
The inconsistencies are mental because on their own website there is a drop down for optional extras with a cooked breakfast for £7pp. Once this week is out the way, I’ll be firing off a proper complaint (bet they’re shitting it now! 😂)

My guess is they’re “at it” with the furlough and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve fired the staff and are still claiming 80% of their wages. 

4 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Had the Waverley Inn booked for 6 weeks. The breakfast part isn’t important as I’ll have breakfast in Maryburgh at my Auntie’s house. Was a bit pissed off, however, that breakfast was (and still is) advertised on their site and despite, as I said, booking 6 weeks back it took them 5 weeks to tell me they hadn’t been doing them since January 2021, which in itself is a very bizarre time to close their kitchen, given that everything had been on/off for 10 months prior and were completely shut down in December. Phoned them up to ask how much would my bill be deducted by and the woman was rude as feck, basically telling me I should have known breakfast wasn’t on due to Covid. I countered with the fact hospitality has been fully open since May!
The inconsistencies are mental because on their own website there is a drop down for optional extras with a cooked breakfast for £7pp. Once this week is out the way, I’ll be firing off a proper complaint (bet they’re shitting it now! 😂)

My guess is they’re “at it” with the furlough and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve fired the staff and are still claiming 80% of their wages. 

It's the Waverly we're staying at too. We'll see you there and mount a joint demand for some recompense lol.

highlandjambo3
7 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

See the thing is, being in the hospitality business I know much more than I used to……….and no they won’t be shitting it because the person you spoke to is probably on the minimum wage or, if they are the supervisor they’ll be on a quid an hour more than the person changing the beds or burning the cheapest sausages…….…the people owning the place will have no idea about your complaint or, don’t particularly care.

Tip (if you don’t already know this):  

Check out booking.com, pick something graded 8.5 or above.  Unlike lots of sites where the grading can be fudged, you can only grade a property in booking.com if you’ve actually stayed there and paid for a room so their gradings are genuine.  When you find a decent property (google it and get their direct phone number)call them and ask to book the room at a lower price than advertised as booking.com charge 15% commission.  Stick with the smaller properties run by the owner, i.e. if your staying at my place then my reputation is at stake and, I do give a shit….simple lol.

Alex MacDonald

Driving up tomorrow but beware of Police speed camera van just as you come off the Kessock Bridge heading north, it’s dual carriageway but a 50mph limit.

3 hours ago, bigdav said:

It's the Waverly we're staying at too. We'll see you there and mount a joint demand for some recompense lol.

I live in Inverness, stayed in the Waverley years ago, long story why, horrendous wee place if I’m honest 

27 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

See the thing is, being in the hospitality business I know much more than I used to……….and no they won’t be shitting it because the person you spoke to is probably on the minimum wage or, if they are the supervisor they’ll be on a quid an hour more than the person changing the beds or burning the cheapest sausages…….…the people owning the place will have no idea about your complaint or, don’t particularly care.

Tip (if you don’t already know this):  

Check out booking.com, pick something graded 8.5 or above.  Unlike lots of sites where the grading can be fudged, you can only grade a property in booking.com if you’ve actually stayed there and paid for a room so their gradings are genuine.  When you find a decent property (google it and get their direct phone number)call them and ask to book the room at a lower price than advertised as booking.com charge 15% commission.  Stick with the smaller properties run by the owner, i.e. if your staying at my place then my reputation is at stake and, I do give a shit….simple lol.

Thanks for the reply and the advice. To be honest, I didn’t expect much at the price I paid, just annoyed at their false advertising. I’ll hardly even see the hotel! 
Plan is to drive up, few beers, fitba, check-in, night out, 8 hours in bed, taxi to Maryburgh for breakfast and then out for a sober day.  Sunday dinner at The Cottage in Maryburgh and back for another 8hrs kip, butchers for some top grub first thing Monday (order already in) and back doon the road. 
April will be more meticulously planned and I’ll hopefully stay a few days then.👍

25 minutes ago, Braminho said:

I live in Inverness, stayed in the Waverley years ago, long story why, horrendous wee place if I’m honest 

Thanks for that- soooo looking forward to it. I phoned them-it sounded like Fawlty Towers lol

15 minutes ago, bigdav said:

Thanks for that- soooo looking forward to it. I phoned them-it sounded like Fawlty Towers lol

haha aye it was a bit like that, horrible middle aged English wifey still in charge?

3 hours ago, Braminho said:

haha aye it was a bit like that, horrible middle aged English wifey still in charge?

Sounded like it from the three words she uttered to me 🤣

12 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

I have been traveling around Scotland this last month for work. The problem you are complaining about is lack of staff. The government will blame Covid but its lack of staff due to Brexit. This is happening all over Scotland no point complaining you will just upset the staff who are just trying to cope. 

There was a camera van last night just south of Dalwhinnie. And there is often a van near the Kessock bridge which is now a 50. 

28 minutes ago, bigdav said:

Sounded like it from the three words she uttered to me 🤣

A lot of those types up here now unfortunately.

anyway, looking forward to an early start tomorrow, pub for 10 then the train through to Dingwall at 10:56 🥳

21 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Ross County always sell away tickets on the day of the game……I cannot recall our end ever being full.

Just phoned Ross County - tickets on sale from 11am at the ground so good to go 😀

19 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

First trip up to Dingwall for a game and driving up. Anyone know best place to park that’s not too far from the ground?

George Street Car Park (behind the town centre and it's not a long walk from there).  There's always the Tesco one if not.

Edited by Dusty
Errors

On 16/09/2021 at 11:07, Section N Rules said:

From Hearts Facebook page.

Screenshot_20210916-110621_Facebook.jpg

Aye, it was Ross County, not Hearts, who were giving duff/unclear info!  Tickets on sale tomorrow at the ground.

On 16/09/2021 at 11:17, portobellojambo1 said:

In the club's defence I'd guess that the decision to sell tickets on the day, outside the ground, was a decision taken by Ross County. Chances are that if the informed HMFC of this then the info. was probably sent to Hearts Media team, and may only have been put online for viewing, rather than relayed to people in the ticket office, for example. Staff in the ticket office may have been unaware of what Ross County planned to do on the day.

To be honest, I think it was the girl in the Ross County ticket office who maybe hadn't been made aware of the plans.  Hey ho, all ok now anyhoo.

Portable Badger
19 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

First trip up to Dingwall for a game and driving up. Anyone know best place to park that’s not too far from the ground?

I used to live in Inverness and work in Dingwall.  Mind going to the last match when we’re visiting County. I drove up to car park 20 mins before KO and had a space in the car park right next to the stadium.  25 second walk to buy a ticket.   Would recommend arriving slightly earlier but normally lots of space

30 minutes ago, asomerville said:

I have been traveling around Scotland this last month for work. The problem you are complaining about is lack of staff. The government will blame Covid but its lack of staff due to Brexit. This is happening all over Scotland no point complaining you will just upset the staff who are just trying to cope. 

I’m not complaining about the hotel staff, or lack thereof. I wasn’t happy that the mother company are advertising services the hotel can’t/won’t provide. They simply shouldn’t be doing that and when I called they basically told me tough shit. The email I received blamed social distancing rather than Brexit/shortage of staff. 

Alex MacDonald
20 hours ago, letsalldothebeattie said:

There’s a big car park right beside the ground, £2 per car last time I was up. Best option if the car park in the town centre is full, which it usually is on a Saturday afternoon.

7 hours ago, Alex MacDonald said:

Driving up tomorrow but beware of Police speed camera van just as you come off the Kessock Bridge heading north, it’s dual carriageway but a 50mph limit.

You can use the station car park.

5 hours ago, Dusty said:

George Street Car Park (behind the town centre and it's not a long walk from there).  There's always the Tesco one if not.

Don't park at the ground. You'll be ages getting out. Advice given is spot on. First game of the season for me. Half an hour from the house.👍

Psychedelicropcircle
On 15/09/2021 at 15:27, 1953 said:

I'm sure I read that all the road works are done and dusted now. I'm driving up too with a B&B booked for me and the Mrs. She'll have a couple of hours to herself while I'm at the match. Haven't been to Ross County before so looking forward to it. Having said that my ticket hasn't arrived in the post yet.

If the ticket doesn’t arrive take a tin opener & cut your way in 🤙

3 hours ago, inspector said:

Don't park at the ground. You'll be ages getting out. Advice given is spot on. First game of the season for me. Half an hour from the house.👍

Agree with this. I parked there the last time we played them. Took a while getting out and the car park is uneven and full of holes/puddles which are difficult to navigate in the dark walking to/from the car

Edited by Jonkel Hoon

32 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Agree with this. I parked there the last time we played them. Took a while getting out and the car park is uneven and full of holes/puddles which are difficult to navigate in the dark walking to/from the car

Does it get dark really early up there then?🤣

9 minutes ago, bigdav said:

It was a midweek game not long before covid rolled into town.

Just my experience of their car park in addition to it taking a while to get out. Apologies if my contribution wasn't worth much.

Doctor FinnBarr
On 16/09/2021 at 15:55, highlandjambo3 said:

We stayed in an Airbnb last Saturday night that was like that, owner had downgraded the £6.50 full breakfast to continental for a fiver, bar in the hotel was closed incase he'd to employ barstaff and no one would come, all whilst he was trying to run an online alcohol delivery service (perhaps part of the reason for them not coming). Told him to ram the continental and went to a Premier Inn for an all you can eat breakfast.

Doctor FinnBarr
54 minutes ago, bigdav said:

Most likely half an hour earlier compared to the central belt so should be fine at 5ish tomorrow.

Hell of a shambles travelling back from Dingwall last night thanks to scotrail. As usual treating football fans as a whole like cattle.

It was like international waters on the carriage they segregated all the fans on to and fired down the road.

Waverly Hotel. Skidmarks in the toilet- even before I got to it. Bin hadn't been emptied. Receptionist having a fag outside as we drew up. Her wee dog in a pram behind reception. My pals toilet blocked but he didn't realise till he had been for a big dump. Staying in Inverness next time 🤣

6 hours ago, bigdav said:

Waverly Hotel. Skidmarks in the toilet- even before I got to it. Bin hadn't been emptied. Receptionist having a fag outside as we drew up. Her wee dog in a pram behind reception. My pals toilet blocked but he didn't realise till he had been for a big dump. Staying in Inverness next time 🤣

The online reviews pretty much implied this, hence we booked Inverness. Skidmark free zone thankfully.....

8 hours ago, gedster said:

The online reviews pretty much implied this, hence we booked Inverness. Skidmark free zone thankfully.....

😂. Unfortunately I just looked at the pics and thought ah it looks ok- must go back and learn that reading thing one of these days lol.

Portable Badger
14 hours ago, bigdav said:

Another option is Strathpeffer.  5 miles outside Dingwall.   Spa village with absolutely shitloads of hotels.  Easy access to very pretty scenery, if that’s your thing, at places nearby like Strathconnan.  But stopping in Inverness is easy & nice though it can be relatively expensive