Jump to content

Death


jonesy

Recommended Posts

Death will come to us all at some point but we don't know when that might be. I lost my youngest son in an accident 9 months ago and have just found out that a good friend has terminal cancer so the moral of the story is get out there and live your life now because you just don't know when it will end. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Auldbenches

    21

  • Ulysses

    16

  • MoncurMacdonaldMercer

    11

  • JamesM48

    10

15 hours ago, Ulysses said:

 

Yes, but what's that got to do with evidence of the supernatural?  Organised religion might be bollocks to one person and not to another, but it isn't evidence of the existence of the supernatural.  On the other hand, it is evidence of people's willingness to - to use my language above - fill in the gaps in their knowledge with someone else's imagination, and allow themselves to be organised into groups for that purpose.

A wiser man than me once said 

 

“Absence of proof is not proof of absence”

 

Belief/Faith by its nature is not something you can prove.

 

Ghosts, for instance. I’ve never seen one but I know a few pretty rational folk who have or believe they have.

 

I think, in a multicultural society learning about faiths out with the one you are familiar with can only help you understand the world.

 

It may be imagination/superstition 

 

Personally I’d like to think there is “something” after death.

I’d love to see my Mum again.

It gives me comfort to think I might.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

A wiser man than me once said 

 

“Absence of proof is not proof of absence”

 

Belief/Faith by its nature is not something you can prove.

 

Ghosts, for instance. I’ve never seen one but I know a few pretty rational folk who have or believe they have.

 

I think, in a multicultural society learning about faiths out with the one you are familiar with can only help you understand the world.

 

It may be imagination/superstition 

 

Personally I’d like to think there is “something” after death.

I’d love to see my Mum again.

It gives me comfort to think I might.

 

 

 

 

 

Belief is really easy to prove.  Faith exists, we've all seen evidence of that.  Faith can be extraordinarily positive, I've certainly seen plenty of evidence of that. Organised religion clearly exists, and there's plenty of evidence of that.  But they're not creations of gods.  They're human creations, and there is plenty of evidence to support a humanistic explanation for them.

 

No-one's ever seen a ghost, though plenty of people think they have, and plenty of people (myself included) have had spooky experiences.

 

I used to occasionally regret not thinking that there is 'something' after death.  I regretted my own awareness of how things are, and thought my smart-arsed mind had played a terrible prank on me, by denying me the comfort of hoping I might see the people I've lost along the way again.  But it doesn't matter how comforting a thought is, or how ugly a fact is.  What really matters is what is.  The universe is a wonderful place, though I sometimes wonder will it become a better one when our species disappears.  It doesn't need magic to become a better one.  So now I get my comfort from knowing who the people I've lost were when they were here, and from remembering how they made things better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

 

Belief is really easy to prove.  Faith exists, we've all seen evidence of that.  Faith can be extraordinarily positive, I've certainly seen plenty of evidence of that. Organised religion clearly exists, and there's plenty of evidence of that.  But they're not creations of gods.  They're human creations, and there is plenty of evidence to support a humanistic explanation for them.

 

No-one's ever seen a ghost, though plenty of people think they have, and plenty of people (myself included) have had spooky experiences.

 

I used to occasionally regret not thinking that there is 'something' after death.  I regretted my own awareness of how things are, and thought my smart-arsed mind had played a terrible prank on me, by denying me the comfort of hoping I might see the people I've lost along the way again.  But it doesn't matter how comforting a thought is, or how ugly a fact is.  What really matters is what is.  The universe is a wonderful place, though I sometimes wonder will it become a better one when our species disappears.  It doesn't need magic to become a better one.  So now I get my comfort from knowing who the people I've lost were when they were here, and from remembering how they made things better.

 

Having lost parents, sister, daughter , and wife I thought I had been exposed to all the education life brings about death. For some reason possibly because I have been an A'hole since birth i have been offered lots of religious advice, about everything including death. I went through phases in life where death or thought of it could terrify me, I saw lots of dead people, and the thing that always seemed to strike my mind was, just how really dead they were.

 When speaking to the hospital staff they talked about my wife how she would be going to a place where she would again be with her family, our daughter, who had all passed before. In the last year I have developed a new outlook, I have at least sitting here  no fear of death, I have no real belief that I will meet all those who mattered in this life. I have regular contact with my wife, but not in a spiritual sense. I will be doing something and will reflect on what she might have said, and  talk in my mind to her, and she responds. This though is not spiritual it is a replaying of stored memories, Esther is gone, I will go and when I do I will be in exactly the same condition I was on Sept 24th, 1642, non existent, non thinking non alive, and with no future, and no ability to consider a past. 

Its just like when the old car won't start the mechanic will tell you the battery is deid, you will have to get a new one. They may be able to use some of the parts, but that battery just like I will be is deid, going nowhere and knowing nothing. And again I quote my old mother, and my wife who preached the same epitaph, I will be glad of the rest.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2021 at 09:40, 1953 said:

Death will come to us all at some point but we don't know when that might be. I lost my youngest son in an accident 9 months ago and have just found out that a good friend has terminal cancer so the moral of the story is get out there and live your life now because you just don't know when it will end. 

Very true and so sorry To hear about your son . I think the lose of a child must be an awful pain to experience . I know my mum was inconsolable when one of my brothers died tragically a few years back . 

9 hours ago, Sharpie said:

 

Having lost parents, sister, daughter , and wife I thought I had been exposed to all the education life brings about death. For some reason possibly because I have been an A'hole since birth i have been offered lots of religious advice, about everything including death. I went through phases in life where death or thought of it could terrify me, I saw lots of dead people, and the thing that always seemed to strike my mind was, just how really dead they were.

 When speaking to the hospital staff they talked about my wife how she would be going to a place where she would again be with her family, our daughter, who had all passed before. In the last year I have developed a new outlook, I have at least sitting here  no fear of death, I have no real belief that I will meet all those who mattered in this life. I have regular contact with my wife, but not in a spiritual sense. I will be doing something and will reflect on what she might have said, and  talk in my mind to her, and she responds. This though is not spiritual it is a replaying of stored memories, Esther is gone, I will go and when I do I will be in exactly the same condition I was on Sept 24th, 1642, non existent, non thinking non alive, and with no future, and no ability to consider a past. 

Its just like when the old car won't start the mechanic will tell you the battery is deid, you will have to get a new one. They may be able to use some of the parts, but that battery just like I will be is deid, going nowhere and knowing nothing. And again I quote my old mother, and my wife who preached the same epitaph, I will be glad of the rest.

 

Yes I think people live on if you remember them . You can lie down relax and just think about them and they are back with you . Or when you talk about them to others who also knew them . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ulysses said:

 

Belief is really easy to prove.  Faith exists, we've all seen evidence of that.  Faith can be extraordinarily positive, I've certainly seen plenty of evidence of that. Organised religion clearly exists, and there's plenty of evidence of that.  But they're not creations of gods.  They're human creations, and there is plenty of evidence to support a humanistic explanation for them.

 

No-one's ever seen a ghost, though plenty of people think they have, and plenty of people (myself included) have had spooky experiences.

 

I used to occasionally regret not thinking that there is 'something' after death.  I regretted my own awareness of how things are, and thought my smart-arsed mind had played a terrible prank on me, by denying me the comfort of hoping I might see the people I've lost along the way again.  But it doesn't matter how comforting a thought is, or how ugly a fact is.  What really matters is what is.  The universe is a wonderful place, though I sometimes wonder will it become a better one when our species disappears.  It doesn't need magic to become a better one.  So now I get my comfort from knowing who the people I've lost were when they were here, and from remembering how they made things better.

Well one of us is wrong mucker

Hopefully it’s you 😀

We’re all gonna find out for sure at some point. Of that we can be certain 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...