Death

jonesy

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My dad was the same, walking towards the consultants office he turned to me and said "This is where they tell me that I'm dying" and when he got the news, complete calm, he asked how long, told a few months, my dad said no BS doc how long, weeks was the reply, he lasted 5 weeks.

My dad was of the generation that death was virtually a taboo subject, nobody talked about it and yes he used to be terrified by it, but after my mum died he was less so.  In his last weeks he planned his funeral and all that sort of stuff, he wanted all his affairs in order and that's the way it all turned out.

All thats left of my family are my son and I. We have talked, and the only arrangement requested is that my wife and my ashes be deposited together somewhere we enjoyed. Death hath no power over I now, it is no cause for concern, because there is nothing I or anyone can do about it, life alone is no pleasure after years of excellent company, or excruciating illness which I watched for a few months, when you got to go you got to go.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auldbenches

• Ulysses

• MoncurMacdonaldMercer

• JamesM48

9 hours ago, jonesy said:

The message I’m getting here is to stop buying Irish peat for my gardening endeavours. Y’know, just in case.

cover-2939.png?rect=0,0,500,500&q=98&fm=

Francis Albert

Surprised there has been no mention on the thread of Jeff Bezos' latest project in which he is investing heavily. That is preventing humans from ever dying -  initially prolonging lifespans greatly as the first step. I do not fear death but the idea of living until say 150 is to me truly terrifying. The consolation in a  way is that like commercial space travel it would only be afforded by the mega-rich so it would not personally affect me or 99.9999% of people. 

Edited by Francis Albert
tokyowalnut

I have really dwelled on it many times. I’m relatively young at 39, both parents gone, 2 grandparents left. Partner and I are discussing having children, she is a few years younger than me but I have this worm in my head that I’m not going to live a long life. Maybe 50’s, 60’s if I’m really lucky. The hypothetical thought of having kids and not living long enough to see them grow into adulthood really scares the life out of me. I get it’s irrational, but I can’t shake it. 

Never thought I’d see 40 (still might not), but dying never seems to be a thought far from my thinking. 

It really spooks me. Live a life, things go well, things not so well, laughs, more tears than I should have shed in 10 lifetimes. Then one day the lights are out. Too much for my small brain to comprehend.

3 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

I have really dwelled on it many times. I’m relatively young at 39, both parents gone, 2 grandparents left. Partner and I are discussing having children, she is a few years younger than me but I have this worm in my head that I’m not going to live a long life. Maybe 50’s, 60’s if I’m really lucky. The hypothetical thought of having kids and not living long enough to see them grow into adulthood really scares the life out of me. I get it’s irrational, but I can’t shake it. 

Never thought I’d see 40 (still might not), but dying never seems to be a thought far from my thinking. 

It really spooks me. Live a life, things go well, things not so well, laughs, more tears than I should have shed in 10 lifetimes. Then one day the lights are out. Too much for my small brain to comprehend.

Its having and I say this not as a criticism too much time to ponder, when we should be using our mind for more positive thoughts. I think it is quite normal to me wondering about the finality of death, I suspect most of us, I know for sure I pondered on it. At a fairly young age eighteen I went on active service to the Suez Canal Zone where British soldiers were being killed.  Never occurred to me that I could be one of them, I had gone through about thirty two weeks of Guards training, knew the army had never been founded that could kill me, at least thats basically what our trainers led us to believe, then as I got older realised  other than suicide we have pretty much no control over our time of death, so just as well to suck it in and be the best you can be.

tokyowalnut
7 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Its having and I say this not as a criticism too much time to ponder, when we should be using our mind for more positive thoughts. I think it is quite normal to me wondering about the finality of death, I suspect most of us, I know for sure I pondered on it. At a fairly young age eighteen I went on active service to the Suez Canal Zone where British soldiers were being killed.  Never occurred to me that I could be one of them, I had gone through about thirty two weeks of Guards training, knew the army had never been founded that could kill me, at least thats basically what our trainers led us to believe, then as I got older realised  other than suicide we have pretty much no control over our time of death, so just as well to suck it in and be the best you can be.

Absolutely! I’m certainly not someone who is time rich, it’s more the quiet moments in the middle of the night that these thoughts manifest in my head. 

My post might make me sound downbeat and morose, I’m actually the opposite. I’m life positive, just can’t help the thoughts that carry through my mind at times.

John Findlay

July 2010, Western General hospital, ward 27, my father is a patient with inoperable bowel cancer and long past any worthwhile treatment.

As his eldest and only son, I had to have the conversation of how he would like his funeral service, what music etc etc. Was a huge Glen Mille(a)r fan, so lots of his music and the Naval hymn as an ex stoker(1956-1965).

My father was discharged to St Columbus hospice on the Thursday, and died the next evening. Took over two weeks to hold his funeral, a cremation at Warriston. I delivered the main eulogy.

The final act was to scatter his ashes from the quarterdeck of Hms Belfast, which I duly did over the November remembrance weekend 2010. 

As he was a member of the Belfast association his name is in the book of remembrance onboard in the ship's Chapel.

J.T.F.Robertson
18 hours ago, tokyowalnut said:

*I'm similar in many ways to you, only pretty much terrified at the thought. Although I'll be oblivious to it, oblivion scares me shitless. 

*Other than the "39" part. :(

Edited by J.T.F.Robertson
1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

Assisted dying needs to be a thing.  It needs a lot of safeguards, but it's a good idea.

`

After my wife had been given a diagnosis of two months but probably less I brought her home. I had the offer of a Hospice bed any time I needed it. She was home with me for a week, tragic to watch her sinking mental and physical abilities wane. I was forced to place her in the Hospice. They offered a peaceful and restful death, ignorant as I was when it came the time and  she was injected with heavy doses of Morphine she was unable to respond but could hear all that was said. It lasted just over a week, I literally watched her become almost skeletal as she was unable to consume food,  I don't know if the assisted dying made it easier for her, but I lived in a hell for the period. I will say that when I got the call that she had passed, when I saw her she had a wee smile on her face. It may and I have no real argument against it be a needed thing, but the memories of it have tears running down my face now, it is a sad sad happening

13 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

`

After my wife had been given a diagnosis of two months but probably less I brought her home. I had the offer of a Hospice bed any time I needed it. She was home with me for a week, tragic to watch her sinking mental and physical abilities wane. I was forced to place her in the Hospice. They offered a peaceful and restful death, ignorant as I was when it came the time and  she was injected with heavy doses of Morphine she was unable to respond but could hear all that was said. It lasted just over a week, I literally watched her become almost skeletal as she was unable to consume food,  I don't know if the assisted dying made it easier for her, but I lived in a hell for the period. I will say that when I got the call that she had passed, when I saw her she had a wee smile on her face. It may and I have no real argument against it be a needed thing, but the memories of it have tears running down my face now, it is a sad sad happening

I understand what you're saying, Bob.  Hospices and hospitals offer the most peaceful ending that the law allows them to do under the heading of palliative care - but the law doesn't allow medics to take actions that would actively hasten death.  It is dignified and peaceful when it works well, and I experienced that when my mother passed away a couple of years ago.  But when it doesn't, especially when it takes a long time, it can add to the suffering of the person dying and those close to them.  However, assisted dying is more than what you have described in Esther's case, and means that the person dies quickly and painlessly with the help of a doctor.  It is also known as assisted suicide, physician-asisted suicide or medical aid in dying.  While most legal systems don't permit assisted dying, the number that do is increasing. 

maroonlegions

I am convinced that conciseness passes on to another dimension. A dimension that has its own laws, like our physical reality , and is close to this physical dimension. A timeless dimension, were time is nothing more than an abstract conception.

We are more than a physical body composed of atoms ect..

Our subconsciousness is the link. 

Is There Life After Death? | The New York Academy of Sciences

AlphonseCapone
On 15/09/2021 at 21:27, AlimOzturk said:

No point in fearing something that is inevitable. Comes to us all. If we were all immortal then what’s the point in even getting up in the morning as there is always tomorrow or the next day. It’s the mere fact of death that drives us to live and achieve things that are truly extraordinary. I don’t even think of death as truly the endanyways, here is why (a lot of this comes from Listening to Carl Sagan and Neil degrass. 

When we die we return to the earth or to the universe in way or another. We just lose our consciousness. We weren’t conscious before we were born so it shouldn’t come as any great surprise that we then lose it when we die. When we are cremated our energy is literally blasted back into the universe.  When we are buried our remains are consumed by the earth, by the worms and other animals. They are then consumed by other animals and so forth. The soil feeds on our energy. And so the life cycle goes on. Energy is never wasted. In fact the universe rarely wastes anything. 

Find it comforting that my body goes on in another form and tbh **** living to see the end of days. I can’t see it being pretty. Think I have lived at near the peak of human knowledge and at an incredibly hospitable time for planet earth and even humanity as whole (going on human history) still got a lot of living to do though and hopefully have a long time of decent health and prosperity. 

Good post. Agree with you rationally on the first sentence though I'm irrationally terrified of it. 

On 16/09/2021 at 00:37, Ulysses said:

In Ireland there is a concept called "fód an bháis", which literally translates as "sod of death".  The idea is that there is a place in which it is pre-ordained that you must die - whereas it is common in other cultures to refer to a time or day of death.  There's an old Irish proverb which says "níl a fhios ag éinne cá bhfuil fód a bháis", or "no one knows where his sod of death is".  There's a short story about a fella who by some fluke learns where his sod of death is, and spends his life ensuring that he avoids it - until one day the piece of ground lifts itself out of the land, flies to where he is standing and jams itself beneath his feet, whereupon he dies. 

That's cool. Death comes to us, eventually. 

Maple Leaf
6 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Assisted dying needs to be a thing.  It needs a lot of safeguards, but it's a good idea.

Access to Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD) has been a consitutional right in Canada since 2015 and the law has the support of 87% of Canadians.  There is a rigorous approval process and there are stringent controls in place to ensure that the procedure is not abused.

Prior to MAiD becoming law, our suffering pets were treated more humanely than our suffering parents.  No more.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
On 15/09/2021 at 14:30, Auldbenches said:

The religious comments they made there are terrible things for anyone to say.  

What I don't get about jehovah witnesses is they believe that when they die they go to heaven, and when a 144k of them ha e passed away, there will be a hig Flood to clean this place and they are all going to come back to live on a pure planet. 

Hasn't there been a 144k jehovahs died already? 

If they say that some of them mustn't have lived pure lives, then isn't it pointless us becoming one with the lives we've lived compared to them 

Imagine saying that to anyone though.

They spread more fear than love.

the 144k isn’t the first 144k that turn up nor is it based on having pure lives - it all makes sense (if you believe anything religious makes sense) if you have the proper information which apparently you don’t - not a criticism mate we’re just posting on a football forum so we’ll all be taking a flyer with incomplete information at some time or other

spread more fear than love would be a matter of personal experience or perception

Auldbenches
1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

the 144k isn’t the first 144k that turn up nor is it based on having pure lives - it all makes sense (if you believe anything religious makes sense) if you have the proper information which apparently you don’t - not a criticism mate we’re just posting on a football forum so we’ll all be taking a flyer with incomplete information at some time or other

spread more fear than love would be a matter of personal experience or perception

What is the 144k based on if anything? 

I had heard that but maybe the figure is being as well.  

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
49 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

not sure the specific criteria but they are for want of a better phrase the pre-chosen ones allocated a spot in heaven as some sort of heavenly committee :)

the rank and file are resurrected but on earth not heaven

i that’s a bit closer to accurate than your post but probably still not entirely correct :(

11 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

I am convinced that conciseness passes on to another dimension. A dimension that has its own laws, like our physical reality , and is close to this physical dimension. A timeless dimension, were time is nothing more than an abstract conception.

We are more than a physical body composed of atoms ect..

Our subconsciousness is the link. 

Is There Life After Death? | The New York Academy of Sciences

:trippin:

Nothing to fear.  I imagine that I just go back to the same state I was for billions of years before I was born, didn’t bother me then and it won’t bother me next time :lol:

Auldbenches
8 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

not sure the specific criteria but they are for want of a better phrase the pre-chosen ones allocated a spot in heaven as some sort of heavenly committee :)

the rank and file are resurrected but on earth not heaven

i that’s a bit closer to accurate than your post but probably still not entirely correct :(

Either way, I don't think they are entirely correct...

Well, definitely feel a few steps closer to it today after guzzling most of a bottle of Captain bloody Morgan's last night. Actually, would welcome the reaper's bony embrace if it got rid of this hangover...

Auldbenches
8 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Tripping and the lucky ******* doesn't have to spend money or pick mushrooms...

14 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

It's the 12 tribes of Israel, or their descendants, at 12,000 members a pop. Or at least it was originally if I remember correctly. Anyway, mentioned in Revelations.

Auldbenches
Just now, redjambo said:

It's the 12 tribes of Israel, or their descendants, at 12,000 members a pop. Or at least it was originally if I remember correctly. Anyway, mentioned in Revelations.

I've met people from the 12 tribes of Israel.

They have a community near Honington in Somerset and spent a day there looking at organic farming. 

A guy picked us up and he had long hair and a very long beard and we discovered they all had that.  Nit the women. 

They make things with spelt flour and have a stall at Glastonbury every year. 

It was strange.  

Fifth thing a guy said to me after offering coffee was.  'You ever had a God experience?   Never had the balls to say that it was the first time I'd been in hell.

Closest I've ever been to observe a cult.   

Everyone not part or them is evil as far as they are concerned  

Weird experience but glad I had seen them  

Harry Potter
On 17/09/2021 at 22:12, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

No-one seen a ghost?

Aye, driving up the bypass a figure crossed in front of me, deffo a ghost😮, my wife can confirm this.

indianajones
19 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

I've met people from the 12 tribes of Israel.

They have a community near Honington in Somerset and spent a day there looking at organic farming. 

A guy picked us up and he had long hair and a very long beard and we discovered they all had that.  Nit the women. 

They make things with spelt flour and have a stall at Glastonbury every year. 

It was strange.  

Fifth thing a guy said to me after offering coffee was.  'You ever had a God experience?   Never had the balls to say that it was the first time I'd been in hell.

Closest I've ever been to observe a cult.   

Everyone not part or them is evil as far as they are concerned  

Weird experience but glad I had seen them  

Nail on head with cult description. 

Absolute nutjobs. 

Auldbenches
1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Nail on head with cult description. 

Absolute nutjobs. 

Three of us spent the night there and it was beyond odd.  

I remember one of them saying to another one 'remember that we are no longer gentiles'.  Also called jesus by another name.  Not jehovah but something similar.

A few vulnerable strays there you can see were easily hooked. 

I was the only smoker there and a couple said it was evil and nothing but dirty looks when they saw me with a smoke.  

Ths ones in charge were pretty heavy.   For use of a better term.

3 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Three of us spent the night there and it was beyond odd.  

I remember one of them saying to another one 'remember that we are no longer gentiles'.  Also called jesus by another name.  Not jehovah but something similar.

A few vulnerable strays there you can see were easily hooked. 

I was the only smoker there and a couple said it was evil and nothing but dirty looks when they saw me with a smoke.  

Ths ones in charge were pretty heavy.   For use of a better term.

Could it have been Yahweh for God?

Auldbenches
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

Could it have been Yahweh for God?

That's the one.  I thought it was a reference to jesus.  

maroonlegions
On 18/09/2021 at 05:31, ri Alban said:

Trolling again i see.

Not one comment on the link to the study i supplied..

maroonlegions
On 18/09/2021 at 13:57, Auldbenches said:

Tripping and the lucky ******* doesn't have to spend money or pick mushrooms...

Troll and you lucky ******* does not get pulled for it.

One big surprise coming when you pass over mate..  :greggy:

maroonlegions
On 18/09/2021 at 05:31, ri Alban said:

Thats what death is mate one motherfecker of a trip. How you are ready when yer time comes gadgey..

Edited by maroonlegions
Auldbenches
Just now, maroonlegions said:

Troll and you lucky ******* does not get pulled for it.

One big surprise coming when you pass over mate..  :greggy:

It was only a joke about tripping not being free.  I apologise.  

I have no opinion on this as no one knows for sure if anyone is right on this.

There would be a different response to things if it was a religious viewpoint you were expressing. 

Some folk wouldn't be as disrespectful.

It was only a joke.

maroonlegions
4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

It was only a joke about tripping not being free.  I apologise.  

I have no opinion on this as no one knows for sure if anyone is right on this.

There would be a different response to things if it was a religious viewpoint you were expressing. 

Some folk wouldn't be as disrespectful.

It was only a joke.

Sorry mate took it the wrong way.. Seems i am always on the defensive on  here.  

Understandable with my views.  Religious no. Ancient Egyptians were more on the money when it  came to the after life.   

Edited by maroonlegions
Spellczech

When I was young I had dreams of leaving my mark upon the World. Now I'm older I realise that the World does not deserve it. Humankind is just a nasty paracite. Thus I only give to animal charities and the Woodland Trust.

Trolling again i see.

Not one comment on the link to the study i supplied..

You're at it. I've read your stuff on here. And I've came to the conclusion you must be skint, because you don't half buy a lot of shite.

Thats what death is mate one motherfecker of a trip. How you are ready when yer time comes gadgey..

I'm ready now, but I love my wife and kids too much, so I'll stick around, til I'm not needed.

Craigieboy
On 17/09/2021 at 22:07, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

If you think that the JW's spread any kind of love when they shun their children for leaving the religion, allow their children to bleed out on an operating table or hold the belief that you and I and indeed everyone on this forum is worthy of an abrupt and imminent death just because we are not JW's then you have a very twisted view of what love is.

On 17/09/2021 at 23:15, Auldbenches said:

The 144 000 is a literal figure made up of people from the past and present that god deems worthy to go to heaven and rule over the future paradise earth that awaits faithful current day JW's after all of our sorry asses have been murdered by their god in the biggest genocide the world has ever seen. That's what they believe and its ****ing mental. :D

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
9 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

If you think that the JW's spread any kind of love when they shun their children for leaving the religion, allow their children to bleed out on an operating table or hold the belief that you and I and indeed everyone on this forum is worthy of an abrupt and imminent death just because we are not JW's then you have a very twisted view of what love is.

The 144 000 is a literal figure made up of people from the past and present that god deems worthy to go to heaven and rule over the future paradise earth that awaits faithful current day JW's after all of our sorry asses have been murdered by their god in the biggest genocide the world has ever seen. That's what they believe and its ****ing mental. :D

as I said it’s personal experience and perception

i have known JW families where members have left the religion and not been shunned - that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen

JW have ‘saved’ many lost people who have been struggling in life for whatever reason - that doesn’t mean they haven’t ‘destroyed’ other lives in other circumstances

im not professing to be an expert as I said individual experience and perception

you appear to be more definite that your opinion is correct - which is absolutely fine too :)

Craigieboy
7 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

as I said it’s personal experience and perception

i have known JW families where members have left the religion and not been shunned - that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen

JW have ‘saved’ many lost people who have been struggling in life for whatever reason - that doesn’t mean they haven’t ‘destroyed’ other lives in other circumstances

im not professing to be an expert as I said individual experience and perception

you appear to be more definite that your opinion is correct - which is absolutely fine too :)

"i have known JW families where members have left the religion and not been shunned - that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen" 

- Really? Under the rules, if you have contact with a disfellowshipped person then you are to be disfellowshipped yourself.

"JW have ‘saved’ many lost people who have been struggling in life for whatever reason"

- No. They have preyed on vulnerable people in society who needed professional help rather than being recruited into a harmful and destructive cult. Most baptisms were either born-ins who are too afraid to leave or mentally ill people that they meet on the doors or on the streets.

"you appear to be more definite that your opinion is correct"

- For good reason. From personal experience. 

Edited by Craigieboy
MoncurMacdonaldMercer
11 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

"i have known JW families where members have left the religion and not been shunned - that doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen" 

- Really? Under the rules, if you have contact with a disfellowshipped person then you are to be disfellowshipped yourself.

"JW have ‘saved’ many lost people who have been struggling in life for whatever reason"

- No. They have preyed on vulnerable people in society who needed professional help rather than being recruited into a harmful and destructive cult. Most baptisms were either born-ins who are too afraid to leave or mentally ill people that they meet on the doors or on the streets.

"you appear to be more definite that your opinion is correct"

- For good reason. From personal experience. 

Sorry your experience appears to have been negative - there are obviously many many who feel the same

thats not everyone’s experience though

im no expert but in an attempt to lighten it slightly my limited experience of JW is that they appeared to have a disproportionate amount of good looking girls which is rarely a bad thing :)

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer
Craigieboy
14 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Sorry your experience appears to have been negative - there are obviously many many who feel the same

thats not everyone’s experience though

I believe that it is and that those who deny this are simply people who haven't woken up to the abusive nature of the cult.

To say that anyone benefits from being in a cult which operates on fear and manipulation from infancy is way off the mark.

Have a wee google at the Austrailian Royal Commision (2015) or the ICSA enquiry and let me know how children benefit from being raised in an insular environment which significantly increases their chances of being sexually abused and even worse, having the abuse not believed or blamed on you.

Do your research before endorsing or crediting a cult which has brought untold misery to so many.

Report into Jehovah’s Witness organisations released | Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse (childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au)

Edited by Craigieboy
Auldbenches
1 hour ago, Craigieboy said:

So they are waiting on us all being murdered by god to get to live in tbe type of world they want?

I'm now hoping someone chaps my door and it's them.  

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
33 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

I believe that it is and that those who deny this are simply people who haven't woken up to the abusive nature of the cult.

To say that anyone benefits from being in a cult which operates on fear and manipulation from infancy is way off the mark.

Have a wee google at the Austrailian Royal Commision (2015) or the ICSA enquiry and let me know how children benefit from being raised in an insular environment which significantly increases their chances of being sexually abused and even worse, having the abuse not believed or blamed on you.

Do your research before endorsing or crediting a cult which has brought untold misery to so many.

Report into Jehovah’s Witness organisations released | Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse (childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au)

Your first line the keywords (for me) “I believe”

plenty will believe the same but also some people will believe something different

child sex abuse is unfortunately everywhere - unfortunately seems to prevalent within religions of many types

Show me where I have endorsed it please 

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer
Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

So they are waiting on us all being murdered by god to get to live in tbe type of world they want?

They've stopped that just now due to Covid, but fear not our friendly Peebles branch send everyone a letter instead, just so as they can spread the joy. :laugh:  

Must cost them a small fortune in postage, local postie isn't amused either, because he has to put a letter through every letterbox, takes him ages to do his round. :laugh:

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
17 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Just in case someone does chap your door mate - they might say they actually want to save you from that fate however it is described - precisely the reason they are chapping at your door

so it might be worth having a couple of follow up questions in reserve