Jump to content

Death


jonesy

Recommended Posts

Plenty of it about at the moment. Seen a few September 11th documentaries recently, and the footage of the planes, just before they hit the tower, are hard to comprehend. Then there's the ol' Covid. Lost someone close to us recently. And then woke up to the news that my favourite comedian, Norm MacDonald, had died.

 

What's everyone's take... Are you scared of it? Do you welcome it? Is there a 'best' way to go? What happens afterwards? Have you had a particularly poignant or traumatic experience in connection with it? Do you believe in reincarnation/afterlife? Any good death jokes? And for the cats on the board, how many of your nine lives have you got left?

 

:th_dead:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • jonesy

    9

  • Auldbenches

    8

  • redjambo

    8

  • ri Alban

    7

I'm not afraid of dying personally but the idea that a human who's done so much, seen so many things, lived so many experiences, had so many hopes and dreams, millions of thoughts and feelings, conversations etc, relationships just ceases to exist really makes me uncomfortable and a bit at a loss really when I think about it.

 

I firmly believe that so much of what makes us human is our ideas, our values and how we make others feel, so whilst those we leave behind remember and hold onto those things we continue to exist in some way. 

 

Maybe I just enjoyed Coco too much as a film. Who knows.

Edited by Taffin
Link to post
Share on other sites

Terrified of not being around for my kids or being able to help them. Can't really comprehend not ever being here or just not existing. Life is ultimately pointless I suppose and once you're dead it didn't really matter whether your life was wonderful or crap cos you're dead.

That's a bit depressing but that's my take on it.

 

I hope when it comes it's quick as I wouldn't want my kids to have to go through what I saw happen to my parents when they just wasted away with cancer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant wrap my head around it.

 

I accept when I'm asleep I'm not conscious of anything around me, not in pain etc etc but the idea that you play no further part in life just seems alien to me. 

There's no fear of it just the idea of never waking I can't comprehend. 

 

But then my scientific mind tells me that we're finite organisms and death is a natural part of our cycle and nothing can live forever as we age and deteriorate. Which makes total sense.

 

I'm not religious in any way so I don't expect to be moving up ( or more likely down) and maybe there's a lot of comfort for these people who believe there's life after death.

 

Keanu Reeves nails the quest of death.

 

"I Know the ones that love us will miss us"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Terrified of not being around for my kids or being able to help them. Can't really comprehend not ever being here or just not existing. Life is ultimately pointless I suppose and once you're dead it didn't really matter whether your life was wonderful or crap cos you're dead.

That's a bit depressing but that's my take on it.

 

I hope when it comes it's quick as I wouldn't want my kids to have to go through what I saw happen to my parents when they just wasted away with cancer.

 

Totally agree with you but I find life being pointless quite liberating to be honest. Why worry about things when ultimately it doesn't really matter. 

 

To answer Jonesy's question, I'm not scared of it happening to me. I'm petrified of it happening to anyone close to me however. 

 

I'd love to believe there's an afterlife but sadly it seems illogical and unlikely to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Best way to go has to be some kind of brain aneurism or something. One of those ones where you're just walking along fine, planning what you're having for dinner, then...... Nothing. No pain, no awareness it was happening, just you going about your day until the lights suddenly go out and you're none the wiser. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I'm not afraid of dying personally but the idea that a human who's done so much, seen so many things, lived so many experiences, had so many hopes and dreams, millions of thoughts and feelings, conversations etc, relationships just ceases to exist really makes me uncomfortable and a bit at a loss really when I think about it.

 

I firmly believe that so much of what makes us human is our ideas, our values and how we make others feel, so whilst those we leave behind remember and hold onto those things we continue to exist in some way. 

 

Maybe I just enjoyed Coco too much as a film. Who knows.

 

This sums up my thoughts pretty much perfectly. 

 

That thing inside us, the feelings you have brought on by memories, the thing that you cannot explain that gets referred to as your "gut" instinct etc cannot die for me. It doesn't physically exist so for me cannot die. For someone dead against religion and pretty dismissive of all things spiritual I can't explain where I think that goes after you die, but I cannot fathom where that could possibly go. How can something die that never existed in physical form? It is more like an energy, and energy never really dies it just transforms.

 

Anyway, dying in itself doesn't really scare or bother me. We are all dying. It is what we do with our time that is important.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 151 said:

 

This sums up my thoughts pretty much perfectly. 

 

That thing inside us, the feelings you have brought on by memories, the thing that you cannot explain that gets referred to as your "gut" instinct etc cannot die for me. It doesn't physically exist so for me cannot die. For someone dead against religion and pretty dismissive of all things spiritual I can't explain where I think that goes after you die, but I cannot fathom where that could possibly go. How can something die that never existed in physical form? It is more like an energy, and energy never really dies it just transforms.

 

Anyway, dying in itself doesn't really scare or bother me. We are all dying. It is what we do with our time that is important.

I know what you mean re life after death. Reincarnation seems like a reasonable belief system, to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live: and whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

Hard to accept, but can understand why people do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not afraid of dying, I guess that comes from being in a war at aged 19(Falklands), I have seen plenty in my time. No longer have grandparents or parents.

I don't believe there is anything after death. You die and that is the end of it for me. No heaven, he'll, reincarnation etc etc. Death is final.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I'm not afraid of dying, I guess that comes from being in a war at aged 19(Falklands), I have seen plenty in my time. No longer have grandparents or parents.

I don't believe there is anything after death. You die and that is the end of it for me. No heaven, he'll, reincarnation etc etc. Death is final.

Totally agree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I don't believe there is anything after death. You die and that is the end of it for me. No heaven, he'll, reincarnation etc etc. Death is final.

 

Agreed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The best thing to do is decide,  like Capt. James T. Kirk that you've always known that you'll die alone and like,  never be alone at any time.  Albeit that may involve a bit of major lifestyle choice in terms of lavatorial habits,  etc.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve held a loved ones hand when they passed over . It was a very powerful moment and i felt very honoured doing this . I believe that we are all atoms so we just dissolve into the atmosphere again . I believe that we live in peoples memories . That’s it really . Make the best of this world as thats all we have. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
The Mighty Thor
27 minutes ago, Der Kaiser said:

I cant wrap my head around it.

 

I accept when I'm asleep I'm not conscious of anything around me, not in pain etc etc but the idea that you play no further part in life just seems alien to me. 

There's no fear of it just the idea of never waking I can't comprehend. 

 

But then my scientific mind tells me that we're finite organisms and death is a natural part of our cycle and nothing can live forever as we age and deteriorate. Which makes total sense.

 

I'm not religious in any way so I don't expect to be moving up ( or more likely down) and maybe there's a lot of comfort for these people who believe there's life after death.

 

Keanu Reeves nails the quest of death.

 

"I Know the ones that love us will miss us"

 

That's where I am apart from the fact it irrationally gives me the fear when I think about it.

 

It'll happen, hopefully not for a good while yet but I know that most of my life is behind me and it makes my arse twitch a bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to be very scared of death when I was a young guy. It was the nothingness afterwards that I was scared of. Existing and then just not existing any more, although it was nice to think that my particles would carry on somehow in this wonderful universe of ours. Now that I've done some things and seen some things, I'm much more relaxed. I've been so privileged to live as a human being with conscious thought and in a society where I could travel and experience various facets of life. I haven't made the most of it, by a long shot, especially over the last few years, but it's still enough to not be afraid of death any more because fear has been replaced by gratitude for having been able to experience all that I have done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I used to be very scared of death when I was a young guy. It was the nothingness afterwards that I was scared of. Existing and then just not existing any more, although it was nice to think that my particles would carry on somehow in this wonderful universe of ours. Now that I've done some things and seen some things, I'm much more relaxed. I've been so privileged to live as a human being with conscious thought and in a society where I could travel and experience various facets of life. I haven't made the most of it, by a long shot, especially over the last few years, but it's still enough to not be afraid of death any more because fear has been replaced by gratitude for having been able to experience all that I have done.

I get that but to me that's only worthwhile whilst you can still remember it. If you have no memory of it then it may as well never have happened .

It's like going on the holiday of a lifetime but not remembering a single thing about it. Pointless. For me, if life has a meaning then death must also but I just can't buy in to the after life thing. 

I may hedge my bets as I get older and attend church though , just in case. 🙏

Link to post
Share on other sites

Being afraid of death, especially in centuries past where there wasn't such longevity is what led us to get into all sorts of problems with inventing religion. The human mind had to come up with an alternative to it because as we all know, it's so brutal.

 

The harsh reality is that there is no proof of an afterlife. We live for a while and then we either die young or sit in our own shit and piss blowing bubbles out of every orifice until we're 100.

 

Just be glad if you get to over 70 or so. Death in young people or children is the most brutal thing to accept.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Think about it most days, generally when I've done **** all memorable or just spend a day doing nothing.  Another day down, who knows how many left.

 

I'm not overly keen on the idea, but it's going to happen.  Nothing you can do about it, so might as well try and make the most of the time we have.  See different things, go different places.

 

It might all be for nothing in the end, but there's no point in being miserable whilst you're conscious and living.

 

I doubt there is anything after, I'm not a religious person in the slightest, but who knows.  There could be something, there could be nothing... everything could just be a big simulation, there's no way to rule anything out because it's impossible to know.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I get that but to me that's only worthwhile whilst you can still remember it. If you have no memory of it then it may as well never have happened .

It's like going on the holiday of a lifetime but not remembering a single thing about it. Pointless. For me, if life has a meaning then death must also but I just can't buy in to the after life thing. 

I may hedge my bets as I get older and attend church though , just in case. 🙏

 

I couldn't disagree more. You don't need to remember anything, just enjoy things when they happen. Some people have awful memories and a large number of folk have failing memories due to their age or illness. Does it make their life experiences any less valid than someone with reasonable memory capacity?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

 

I couldn't disagree more. You don't need to remember anything, just enjoy things when they happen. Some people have awful memories and a large number of folk have failing memories due to their age or illness. Does it make their life experiences any less valid than someone with reasonable memory capacity?

Once something has happened all it is is a memory. Without them we have nothing IMO. Dementia and Alzheimer's are the cruellest disease imaginable .

And I'm not looking for an argument.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, redjambo said:

 

I couldn't disagree more. You don't need to remember anything, just enjoy things when they happen. Some people have awful memories and a large number of folk have failing memories due to their age or illness. Does it make their life experiences any less valid than someone with reasonable memory capacity?

 

Agreed. Whether you can recall something or not doesn't diminish the experience it provided at the time.

 

If anything it provides more meaning imo, one day we'll not remember anything so best enjoy it whilst we live it.

 

I say that as someone who's not good at doing it.

Edited by Taffin
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Craigieboy said:

Being afraid of death, especially in centuries past where there wasn't such longevity is what led us to get into all sorts of problems with inventing religion. The human mind had to come up with an alternative to it because as we all know, it's so brutal.

 

The harsh reality is that there is no proof of an afterlife. We live for a while and then we either die young or sit in our own shit and piss blowing bubbles out of every orifice until we're 100.

 

Just be glad if you get to over 70 or so. Death in young people or children is the most brutal thing to accept.

 


I agree with all of the above. 
 

Never believed in any religion or afterlife and have always regarded the old timor mortis as the principal reason for the existence of religious beliefs. I have to say, however, that for a non-scientist the currently accepted explanations of the origins of the universe are so mind-bogglingly hard to get your head round that the idea of the man with the white beard up in the sky almost seems less unlikely. (Not doubting those explanations, by the way.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Once something has happened all it is is a memory. Without them we have nothing IMO. Dementia and Alzheimer's are the cruellest disease imaginable .

And I'm not looking for an argument.

 

You won't get one from me. We just disagree, that's all. For me the "must remember something for it to have meaning" is akin to the "must record an event or happening on my mobile phone for it to have meaning". My Dad has a mix of dementia and Alzheimer's and has forgotten quite a lot. However his experiences have made him the man he is, even though he may not remember many of them - he is a living embodiment of his experiences and his reactions to them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I say that as someone who's not good at doing it.

 

Me too. :) I have no regrets, but if I could go back in time and say to the young Red "Enjoy the good moments when they happen, bask in them, soak them in, because these moments are what life is about" then I would. I would also urge myself to take more (considered) risks and stop being so fearful of things that might go wrong, but that's a different story.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

 

You won't get one from me. We just disagree, that's all. For me the "must remember something for it to have meaning" is akin to the "must record an event or happening on my mobile phone for it to have meaning". My Dad has a mix of dementia and Alzheimer's and has forgotten quite a lot. However his experiences have made him the man he is, even though he may not remember many of them - he is a living embodiment of his experiences and his reactions to them.

There's no right or wrong opinion.

 

However recording something on your phone is only worthwhile to revisit while you are alive. After you die it means nothing which is what I am talking about. It makes no difference to you whether that event happened or not.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
jack D and coke

I think about it a lot on Mondays. After a weekend on the peev…how fast the years seem to be going now and how many good years do I have left. 

Someone said to me a while ago you know your birthday and you’ve had the same amount of death days but you just don’t know what day that is yet.
Kinda freaked me a bit. 

I’ve been about I suppose and done a few things but still have that nagging doubt I’ve failed in certain ways…I could’ve tried a lot more to be more. 
You’re always exactly where you want to be in life though. It’s all up to you. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, redjambo said:

 

Me too. :) I have no regrets, but if I could go back in time and say to the young Red "Enjoy the good moments when they happen, bask in them, soak them in, because these moments are what life is about" then I would. I would also urge myself to take more (considered) risks and stop being so fearful of things that might go wrong, but that's a different story.

 

I think a lot of people feel that way. I certainly do; to go back and have my time again I would but only with the knowledge I now have...otherwise it would just be the same again. Without having done certain things I wouldn't now know that. I always ended up doing the things I wanted to but I never fully embraced, I was often there in body only and my spirit was on the sidelines.

 

My girlfriend lives everything fully and it sometimes makes me sad that I didn't have that mindset but equally it makes me who I am. A grumpy, insular git who spends too much time thinking and annoying folk on kickback 😂😂

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, redjambo said:

 

Me too. :) I have no regrets, but if I could go back in time and say to the young Red "Enjoy the good moments when they happen, bask in them, soak them in, because these moments are what life is about" then I would. I would also urge myself to take more (considered) risks and stop being so fearful of things that might go wrong, but that's a different story.

 

7 minutes ago, Taffin said:

 

I think a lot of people feel that way. I certainly do; to go back and have my time again I would but only with the knowledge I now have...otherwise it would just be the same again. Without having done certain things I wouldn't now know that. I always ended up doing the things I wanted to but I never fully embraced, I was often there in body only and my spirit was on the sidelines.

 

My girlfriend lives everything fully and it sometimes makes me sad that I didn't have that mindset but equally it makes me who I am. A grumpy, insular git who spends too much time thinking and annoying folk on kickback 😂😂

 

Think I'd be the opposite. Took a lot of reckless decisions in the past and now paying the price.

 

Still, no point in looking back, only forward! :) 

Edited by jonesy
Link to post
Share on other sites
Malinga the Swinga

Not frightened of it but not overly keen for it to occur just yet.

Got a few years of grumpiness to come if I'm lucky and exercising daily to try and keep weight down and body healthy isn't too big a sacrifice.

Would prefer to go before wife and kids tbh, and as long as they're provided for, then I'm happy enough with no major regrets.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

 

My girlfriend lives everything fully and it sometimes makes me sad that I didn't have that mindset but equally it makes me who I am. A grumpy, insular git who spends too much time thinking and annoying folk on kickback 😂😂

 

:D You and me too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonesy said:

Plenty of it about at the moment. Seen a few September 11th documentaries recently, and the footage of the planes, just before they hit the tower, are hard to comprehend. Then there's the ol' Covid. Lost someone close to us recently. And then woke up to the news that my favourite comedian, Norm MacDonald, had died.

 

What's everyone's take... Are you scared of it? Do you welcome it? Is there a 'best' way to go? What happens afterwards? Have you had a particularly poignant or traumatic experience in connection with it? Do you believe in reincarnation/afterlife? Any good death jokes? And for the cats on the board, how many of your nine lives have you got left?

 

:th_dead:

 

Can't wait until I'm dead. That doesn't mean to say I'm going to do something "stupid" I just don't want a long life. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

 

Can't wait until I'm dead. That doesn't mean to say I'm going to do something "stupid" I just don't want a long life. 

I'll be glad of the sleep. Haven't slept properly for 10 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Once something has happened all it is is a memory. Without them we have nothing IMO. Dementia and Alzheimer's are the cruellest disease imaginable .

And I'm not looking for an argument.

I find the concept of memory utterly fascinating . What actually is it ? Why do people remember everything from their childhood whereas I remember hardly anything ? It’s probably there somewhere , but why can’t I ? There probably is no answer . For some reason I have an vast knowledge about dates as in anyone’s birthday or What I did on a certain day of memorable enough ! 
 

One of my favourite lines from a film when the character is discussing memory

 

“ memories are meant to fade they are Made that way “ 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...