SPFL clubs invest in independent advice on strategic review

Carl Fredrickson

LarrysRightFoot
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

So of the teams listed 3 or 4 are American owned (if you include Ron) - I am guessing this has been pushed by them.

Care needs taken here as whilst we need change I personally don’t want Americans *******ising our game.

I don’t like American sports but I admire their attempts to keep them competitive. They also know how to market things. 

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Rogue Daddy

• Bazzas right boot

• GinRummy

• John Findlay

Byyy The Light
1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I don’t like American sports but I admire their attempts to keep them competitive. They also know how to market things. 

Agreed. Exactly what we need. 

gorgie rd eh11

Waste of time and money. The last couple of years has shown everybody cares only about themselves. Hearts should have nothing to do with any of them. **** them all.

11 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

My father always said that a consultant is someone you pay a lot of money to tell you what you already know...

He was correct. You give them a watch and they will tell you the time. 

Hopefully they unlock funds for VAR to be introduced.   Maybe ask the BBC for an increase ☺.   Or BT to spot the funds and system, they could sponsor it.    

Seems a laugh deloittes are being asked to review and report back with an honest analysis.   See what happens I guess.   No money is my guess, we canny find any extra dosh.    Cue a revolt and disbandment. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
51 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

They turn leagues, clubs and sports into franchises. 

We might just welcome the 2 vote block here to make sure something too wacky doesn’t happen.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
33 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

My father always said that a consultant is someone you pay a lot of money to tell you what you already know...

Spot on - especially these clowns.

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

They turn leagues, clubs and sports into franchises. 

That shouldn't impact on Hearts.  

Any "franchise" change of ownership requires a buyer and and seller.  I can't see FOH ever being a seller, particularly with a 90% super majority vote required.

1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Aye and times have moved on haven’t they. We’re not gonna go bust so who cares what they think about that particular subject? 

The point is Gordon has a plausible idea that benefits the Scottish game and infrastructure as a whole but you want to disregard it merely because he suggested it. 

Not sure if I've missed it or forgotten it, but what is Gordon's idea?

5 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Any criticism aimed toward Doncaster and co will probably see any advice thrown into the nearest dumpster. Surprised they allowed this to go ahead as it could highlight their incompetence. 

Rangers and Celtic not on board doesn’t surprise me. They don’t want the rest of us having access to decent funds as it threatens their duopoly. Only have to look at the EPL to show that well run teams with access to money (Leicester, Everton, West Ham) can threaten the status co. 

The SPFL gave their backing because the consequences of trying to prevent it would make Hearts case seem like kindergarten stuff.

Doncaster is circulating his CV as this moment..

Also Celtic nowhere to be seen although I believe Sevco are quietly in favour of exposing the SPFL and SFA for the commercial Lilliputlians that they are.

1 hour ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

If we took the American sports model to its extreme, the OF would be the only full professional clubs in Scotland, playing in an all-Europe league of 48 clubs, and Hearts would be nothing but a development team for Spurs or some such.

(North Carolina, where I live, has twice the population of Scotland and exactly one major league team in each of three sports and no major league baseball team, despite being home to the greatest baseball movie ever made.)

The closest the US has to the rest of Scottish football is college athletics, which is on the throes of yet another major conference realignment  In that light, my off-the-wall suggestion to absorb the whole NI setup is not far off a true American sports-style solution.

24 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

The SPFL gave their backing because the consequences of trying to prevent it would make Hearts case seem like kindergarten stuff.

Doncaster is circulating his CV as this moment..

Also Celtic nowhere to be seen although I believe Sevco are quietly in favour of exposing the SPFL and SFA for the commercial Lilliputlians that they are.

That's pretty much how I see it.

The 5 clubs are saying that we can do a much better job of promoting Scottish football than the SPFL Board and Doncaster in particular are doing. If he wants to keep his job, Doncaster has to say he supports the investigation so that he can own the findings and then say he is the man to deliver whatever strategic plan Deloitte suggests.

The 5 clubs have clearly given him warning of their intention and given him the choice of endorsing or being pilloried as an obstacle standing in the way of progress and more £ for all clubs.

Rangers are clearly in support of ousting Doncaster but are probably scared that this investigation will challenge the duopoly and recommend ending the unfair voting system etc. So they can't support it and it's not in their DNA to work with anyone else anyway, hence their dossier and their attempt to get Doncaster out using the sponsorship deal. 

It will be portrayed as the 5 clubs trying to get more money for themselves - which it is in part - but it is really about improving the product and the way it is marketed and that's got to be a good thing.

6 hours ago, OldGorgie said:

Yet another strategic review, which is simply not needed. Scottish football is dominated by two unashamedly sectarian clubs, both of which owe their position to entirely to their relative attraction to the many religious bigots in Scottish society. Far better to spend research on why so many morons in Scotland who profess a particular faith, never go near a church.

I love this, especially the last sentence, as someone who does go to church and can't stand sectarianism in any form in society in general and in football in particular. It is utterly baffling why people who have zero interest in the Christian faith behave in this way.

That said I think what the 5 clubs are doing is brilliant. It's not just another strategic review. It's a carefully thought out plan to show all the clubs how poorly they are served by a Board and Chief Executive who sing to the tune of two clubs and spectacularly fail to promote the game as a whole and generate the money that is available.

It is a means to bring about a change in governance which can only be a good thing. I think any fan who is sick of the Rangers/Celtic cabal running Scottish football (a guaranteed seat on the Board in alternate years, the voting system, etc) and sick of the massive gulf between the finances north and south of the border should welcome this.

It won't fix everything overnight but it is a good start. Just a pity it's only 5 clubs doing it. Hopefully others are privately on board but just not able or willing to help fund it.

9 hours ago, Biffa Bacon said:

Look at the reaction we have within minutes of posting... Deloitte's can't be trusted, they are in the pocket of the OF, Ron Gordon is in charge, we don't need a review, we should not be talking to clubs who shafted us last year. The bigots won't vote for change etc etc. The fan base could not agree how to buy a pint of milk, never mind drive the direction of Scottish football.

Are you surprised.

We only have to turn the clock back Eighteen months to remember what a gallery of rogues are those that are on the SPFL board.

This is SPFL sanctioned I hear you cry.

So what say I. 

SPFL sanctioned to me is no different to a government inquiry, where the government know the outcome before they announce the inquiry.

For me the SPFL endorsed this in the full knowledge that they intend to keep the status quo, imho.

I personally feel it is nigh impossible to have a bloodless coup in Scottish football.

What club chairpersons say to you in private is completely different to how they behave at vote time.

If this review comes up with serious recommendations and they are not acted upon, then Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs and both Dundee clubs have to go public and say this was blocked by whoever, and if it is the gruesome twosome we have to publicly shame them and let everyone know that these two clubs have no interest whatsoever in the betterment of Scottish football and they are aided and abetted by both the SFA and SPFL. 

Bear in mind these two clubs have been wanting to get out of Scottish football for the last twenty five years. Ideally the want South of the border, not for footballing reasons but solely for the television money on offer.

Please also bear in mind that Sky television now push their coverage of the WSL more than they do the SPL.

I find it no accident that SKY and the WSL never went public with the amount they are paying for coverage of the WSL. The cynic in me says this was to save Neil Doncaster embarrassment, with the truly awful deal along with Peter Lawell that was negotiated for SPL football.

I further believe that it is Heart of Midlothian that are the driving force behind this review and that we have the stomach for the fight ahead, but I am not convinced that others do and I include Aberdeen, Hibernian, and both Dundee clubs in that statement.

I sincerely hope that all of the board at Heart of Midlothian have learned the most important lesson. That when it comes to Scottish football you trust mo one, especially from the West.

8 hours ago, Spellczech said:

A guy I worked with (who was a consultant himself) used to say 'A consultant is someone who steals your watch then tells you the time.

41 minutes ago, WalterEgo said:

A guy I worked with (who was a consultant himself) used to say 'A consultant is someone who steals your watch then tells you the time.

Yes but for a fee.

9 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Aye and times have moved on haven’t they. We’re not gonna go bust so who cares what they think about that particular subject? 

The point is Gordon has a plausible idea that benefits the Scottish game and infrastructure as a whole but you want to disregard it merely because he suggested it. 

Self righteous clap trap. Five clubs out of 12 have gone along with Ron the Cons idea. Absolutely no chance of this bringing any change. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

Are you surprised.

We only have to turn the clock back Eighteen months to remember what a gallery of rogues are those that are on the SPFL board.

So what say I. 

SPFL sanctioned to me is no different to a government inquiry, where the government know the outcome before they announce the inquiry.

For me the SPFL endorsed this in the full knowledge that they intend to keep the status quo, imho.

I personally feel it is nigh impossible to have a bloodless coup in Scottish football.

What club chairpersons say to you in private is completely different to how they behave at vote time.

If this review comes up with serious recommendations and they are not acted upon, then Hearts, Aberdeen, Hibs and both Dundee clubs have to go public and say this was blocked by whoever, and if it is the gruesome twosome we have to publicly shame them and let everyone know that these two clubs have no interest whatsoever in the betterment of Scottish football and they are aided and abetted by both the SFA and SPFL. 

Bear in mind these two clubs have been wanting to get out of Scottish football for the last twenty five years. Ideally the want South of the border, not for footballing reasons but solely for the television money on offer.

Please also bear in mind that Sky television now push their coverage of the WSL more than they do the SPL.

I find it no accident that SKY and the WSL never went public with the amount they are paying for coverage of the WSL. The cynic in me says this was to save Neil Doncaster embarrassment, with the truly awful deal along with Peter Lawell that was negotiated for SPL football.

I further believe that it is Heart of Midlothian that are the driving force behind this review and that we have the stomach for the fight ahead, but I am not convinced that others do and I include Aberdeen, Hibernian, and both Dundee clubs in that statement.

I sincerely hope that all of the board at Heart of Midlothian have learned the most important lesson. That when it comes to Scottish football you trust mo one, especially from the West.

From a business point of view all these clubs are in a similar position. 

Milne has left Aberdeen and the American owners will be far more forward thinking and commercially astute. 

From a business view all these clubs will have a similar goal. 

These guys will take the emotion and history our of it and be looking at facts and figures and ways to improve their businesses value. 

Scottish football needs that. 

No bigotry, history, emotional clap trap. A review of it's business and where it wants to go and how it can improve. 

These owners will be focused on that. 

Might upset some fans and other clubs  if they tell some home truths. 

The OF will dictate the outcome tho, and the smaller clubs will fall in line behind them. 

The absolute diddy clubs will do everything to keep thier measly sphere of influence alive and the sfa and spfl top folk don't want to rock the boat. They want free games, free expenses, a decent pension and more importantly an easy life - which will mean just agreeing to the majority - which as above the OF will have all tied up. 

Also, IMO a Dundee merger is incoming. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

13 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Anything that tries to drag Scottish football forward has to be seen as a good thing, but I would have thought that the SPFL, the people who are well paid to run Scottish football, should be doing this as part of their job description 

Exactly this.

As I read the "The Plan", my immediate thoughts as I went through each item on the list was "is this not what the SPFL are already supposed to doing".

"Growth", "Brand", "Governance", "Competition".......

It makes me wonder what do they actually do then!

The SPFL is basically endorsing clubs using their own money to dig them out a hole and to do their job for them.

(No doubt they will want to claim the credit later for anything positive that may come out of it!)

Edited by AndyMcI

Can't change anything by doing nothing. Wether the old firm or diddy clubs will let it happen is another matter. There can't be many major changes that will suit the old firm and all other clubs.

I imagine it will all come to a vote a few years down the line and then be scuppered by St Johnston living off the old firm and Montrose not wanting to put extra fuel in their minibus.

Edited by jambopilms

LarrysRightFoot
8 hours ago, Ugly American said:

If we took the American sports model to its extreme, the OF would be the only full professional clubs in Scotland, playing in an all-Europe league of 48 clubs, and Hearts would be nothing but a development team for Spurs or some such.

(North Carolina, where I live, has twice the population of Scotland and exactly one major league team in each of three sports and no major league baseball team, despite being home to the greatest baseball movie ever made.)

The closest the US has to the rest of Scottish football is college athletics, which is on the throes of yet another major conference realignment  In that light, my off-the-wall suggestion to absorb the whole NI setup is not far off a true American sports-style solution.

I am not saying adopt American style sports governance hook, line and sinker. I am saying I admire their attempts to keep it competitive - we could never have drafts etc. 

However, there is plenty we could do - look at the distribution of revenue, look at league structure, look at wage caps, look at academy/home grown quotas in match day squads (I’m talking more than a token 2 here - something like 8), look at moving away from thinking/marketing that the OF are be all and end all of Scottish football. I’m sure smarter people than me can come up with more that can be done. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Are you surprised.

So what say I. 

Good post John. The point I was making is that fans will never agree with each other, so any consultation, with them would be almost impossible, in terms of directing any negotiations.

9 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Not sure if I've missed it or forgotten it, but what is Gordon's idea?

He wants to reduce the number of leagues and make them bigger. 16 and 16 I believe. 

He thinks there are too many teams for such a small country so wants to make sure more money is invested into making more teams full time. 

3 minutes ago, Biffa Bacon said:

Good post John. The point I was making is that fans will never agree with each other, so any consultation, with them would be almost impossible, in terms of directing any negotiations.

Absolutely, that's why fan owned but not fan run.

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Are you surprised.

So what say I. 

This is an excellent post. 

4 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I am not saying adopt American style sports governance hook, line and sinker. I am saying I admire their attempts to keep it competitive - we could never have drafts etc. 

However, there is plenty we could do - look at the distribution of revenue, look at league structure, look at wage caps, look at academy/home grown quotas in match day squads (I’m talking more than a token 2 here - something like 8), look at moving away from thinking/marketing that the OF are be all and end all of Scottish football. I’m sure smarter people than me can come up with more that can be done. 

Spot on Larry, look at the sky promotional piece, they never have any representation of SPFL unless it is the OF. Open talk from many media sources about who will come third, before a ball is kicked. It is accepted as the norm and promoted as competition, the OF are the only winners since the mid 80s, most normal people would argue about that being competitive. The trouble with promoting the whole league, as is common in US, is the OF don't want to share, they want to sell their own TV, media rights and frankly don't want the competition from others.

10 minutes ago, Biffa Bacon said:

Spot on Larry, look at the sky promotional piece, they never have any representation of SPFL unless it is the OF. Open talk from many media sources about who will come third, before a ball is kicked. It is accepted as the norm and promoted as competition, the OF are the only winners since the mid 80s, most normal people would argue about that being competitive. The trouble with promoting the whole league, as is common in US, is the OF don't want to share, they want to sell their own TV, media rights and frankly don't want the competition from others.

TV is an interesting one. I wonder if all Scottish clubs could just broadcast and charge ppv for their home games. I know there are rules preventing 3pm games on a Saturday being broadcast but surely these can be changed, they were for Covid. 

That would surely benefit the other sides in the league as much, if not more than the old firm.

Edited by GinRummy

9 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

He was correct. You give them a watch and they will tell you the time. 

In my experience it's been more like:

"you have a watch. they ask you the time. you tell them the time. they tell you the time back accompanied with an invoice"...

3 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

TV is an interesting one. I wonder if all Scottish clubs could just broadcast and charge ppv for their home games. I know there are rules preventing 3pm games on a Saturday being broadcast but surely these can be changed, they were for Covid. 

That would surely benefit the other sides in the league as much, if not more than the old firm.

This is where I would like to see JA and his Amazon contacts get involved. SKY is a big part of Scottish footballs problem, demanding 4 uglies derbies per season... and paying a pittance compared to elsewhere. 

I would love to see a Scottish Football TV platform and tell SKY to GTF. It would require significant funding but I'm sure the likes of JA and some of his contacts could run rings around the trumpets at the spfl, and come up with something that would benefit the whole of Scottish football and not just the OF.

LarrysRightFoot
4 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

This is where I would like to see JA and his Amazon contacts get involved. SKY is a big part of Scottish footballs problem, demanding 4 uglies derbies per season... and paying a pittance compared to elsewhere. 

I would love to see a Scottish Football TV platform and tell SKY to GTF. It would require significant funding but I'm sure the likes of JA and some of his contacts could run rings around the trumpets at the spfl, and come up with something that would benefit the whole of Scottish football and not just the OF.

James Anderson is interesting in all this - a lot of chat (rightly) about the Americans and what they will bring to the table. 

But what about Mr Anderson - he is certainly someone who knows how to make money (for himself and others). 

3 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

James Anderson is interesting in all this - a lot of chat (rightly) about the Americans and what they will bring to the table. 

But what about Mr Anderson - he is certainly someone who knows how to make money (for himself and others). 

This is why I think there is something else at play here... and not just another 'review', I get the feeling this is going somewhere.... but why inform the SPFL? Well, I guess they would look like they have something to hide if they didn't endorse it 🤷‍♂️. One things for sure, it's clear nobody rates dungcaster.... and he can't hide up liewell's arse any longer - makes me wonder if this has something to do with Dominic McKay's departure from shellick?

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, OldGorgie said:

Self righteous clap trap. Five clubs out of 12 have gone along with Ron the Cons idea. Absolutely no chance of this bringing any change. 

In football, self-interest is king. That can be a frustrating thing but it also can bring about common aims if done right.

The five clubs are all of the level of size below the old firm and above the smaller clubs. So these are the clubs who suffer the most from the limited income of Scottish football. Where they can have decent crowds that put them ahead of the rest, but not enough money to get into the group stages of European football. Ron Gordon is a Hibs man, but he also is an outsider from Scottish football who wants to get the most from his investment, to do that he needs more money coming into Scottish football (same with the other American owners.) Thats the self-interest, but it is one that we can shape to benefit us. 

I understand the cynicism. Scottish football is lousy with short term decision making, clubs screwing others other for the sake of petty things. I also understand the principles. But ultimately I want one thing and that is things to benefit Heart of Midlothian football club. If that can be achieved through an independent review that leads to change that helps the club, I dont care if Ron Gordon is one of the driving forces behind it.

Edited by jamboinglasgow

A lot of this is embarrassing. “Nothing will change so why bother?”

Why do we even bother supporting a team in a meaningless sporting contest that has no actual impact on our lives, or attach meaning to men paid thousands of pounds per week to kick rubber up and down some grass?

HMFC is a business. They are attempting to expand their business to increase your enjoyment of said business. But you don’t want to cos Hibs are doing it too. Genuinely embarrassing behaviour. Sad sacks. 

Open your eyes. 

jamboinglasgow
9 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

This is why I think there is something else at play here... and not just another 'review', I get the feeling this is going somewhere.... but why inform the SPFL? Well, I guess they would look like they have something to hide if they didn't endorse it 🤷‍♂️. One things for sure, it's clear nobody rates dungcaster.... and he can't hide up liewell's arse any longer - makes me wonder if this has something to do with Dominic McKay's departure from shellick?

Thats where I am at. First of all its clear the 5 clubs are paying for the review, when money is tight why would they put their own money behind something which they think would not be part of a serious push for change. Add in that Ann Budge and the board has seen first hand the two faced nature of the clubs and mess of the SPFL, so I doubt she would get the club to sign up for something and put up their own money if it was likely that it will swept under the carpet by the SPFL.

Also I think Rangers would be more in favour of it then people think.

51 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

He wants to reduce the number of leagues and make them bigger. 16 and 16 I believe. 

He thinks there are too many teams for such a small country so wants to make sure more money is invested into making more teams full time. 

The same ideas that Ann Budge was criticised by the smaller clubs for having, years ago. Then when they got their chance, they hit her and Hearts hard, aided by the likes of Hibs, Aberdeen, Dundee and Dundee United.

It doesn't take a forward thinking genius to know that there are too many part time clubs in the Scottish Professional Football League. The clever bit will be removing the shackles that they have on Scottish football and their subservience to Rangers and Celtic.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hearts are involved with this just to make sure that we know what the other 4 are up to.

2 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Thats where I am at. First of all its clear the 5 clubs are paying for the review, when money is tight why would they put their own money behind something which they think would not be part of a serious push for change. Add in that Ann Budge and the board has seen first hand the two faced nature of the clubs and mess of the SPFL, so I doubt she would get the club to sign up for something and put up their own money if it was likely that it will swept under the carpet by the SPFL.

Also I think Rangers would be more in favour of it then people think.

Yeah, me also - while absolutely no lover of anything 'Old Firm'.... out of a lot of previous chief execs, I actually think Douglas Park is a decent guy. They're certainly no lovers of the spfl at the minute... or over the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Ann Budge has said the same in the past. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36999758

Byyy The Light
41 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Why not both? Why do we have to be dictated to by Sky what away OF match we watch at 12 on a Saturday?

The clubs should come together and host their individual club channels and social media content on 1 platform. Let fans stream away games only (the type of fan who will try cheat the system wouldn’t have any intention of going to the game anyway)

Sky can still get their OF love in with a pundit from each side of Glasgow and we can watch what we want, when we want it.

Its taking nothing away from what Sky do so why would they be bothered about a rival streaming platform?

Chances are the SPFL would need to outsource the broadcasting infrastructure to them anyway. Might even be a win-win. 

16 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Interesting that the clubs who have invested in this are those outside the Old Firm who either have a decent fanbase or owners who have or can invest their own money in their club.

The Old Firm as we know have their own agenda and the others such as St Johnstone, St Mirren, Ross Co are so dependent on the revenue from their games with them that they are terrified to say a wrong word against them.

The voting system is still such that making any changes in nigh on impossible without the support of at least one of the Old Firm so as much as this should be applauded it will no doubt ne a waste of time effort and money without their support.

13 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Deloitte?

Lucky to get any change from £5m.

Classic scope creep company for this type of work and just pull a lot of work off the shelf.

I know a few companies/organisations that have had the “Deloitte review” and it’s usually a load of shite most of which we as fans could tell the member clubs now.

Will be an initial couple of hundred grand for the review which will provide a list of recommendations so vague that they will be ‘best placed to provide a detailed implementation’ and that’s where the big money comes in

We could start with getting a shit hot marketing company involved to actually help sell the league rights instead of clowns like Doncaster putting it down.make it performance based as well how does someone who constantly gets things wrong be rewarded with bigger and bigger pay every year is beyond me.

The bottom line is the league is poorly run.

I think this is good to see. The problem is due to the voting system change is virtually impossible to achieve. So with that in mind it’s very hard to see this achieving much. 

Perhaps if it’s focused on helping individual clubs maximise their revenue streams it might be beneficial but it’s hard to see following the Mcleish report and Barry hearns comments that anything is likely to change. 

Good to see the biggest non-OF clubs working together though. Hopefully they can force the change needed. 

Hopefully this review will result in some kind of breakaway league. What needs to happen is that you present a plan to the likes of the old firm that shows enough benefits for them that they are willing to drop/negotiate other points (e.g. larger league, less old firm matches, fairer voting system). Present a plan that shows much higher revenue, potential for colt teams, higher league stature, more competitiveness (whilst they increase revenue) and they will be interested whilst also suggest how they can use things like less old firm matches to their advantage e.g. winter break friendlys with each other in America/Australia etc.

We have too many professional league clubs and I think a Premiership and championship of 16 clubs each still is not a radical enough change. A Premiership of 20 teams, decent stadiums, must have proper training facilities, no AstroTurf pitches. After that regional leagues (highland, east & west) which will contain a mixture of pro teams, ambitious semi pro/ready to go pro teams, amateurs and colts - and only pro teams and ready to go pro teams can be promoted. After x amount of games top 3/4 of each regions top division (that meet Premiership standards) play each other twice in a play off league so that the best 3 are promoted regardless of region. Get rid of the diddy cup and bring league format into early rounds of the Scottish cup to spread wealth with smaller teams. Start league earlier in the summer and have a winter break.

5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Good to see the biggest non-OF clubs working together though. Hopefully they can force the change needed. 

I sincerely hope they are all working together, but I have my reservations.

5 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Why not both? Why do we have to be dictated to by Sky what away OF match we watch at 12 on a Saturday?

The clubs should come together and host their individual club channels and social media content on 1 platform. Let fans stream away games only (the type of fan who will try cheat the system wouldn’t have any intention of going to the game anyway)

Sky can still get their OF love in with a pundit from each side of Glasgow and we can watch what we want, when we want it.

Its taking nothing away from what Sky do so why would they be bothered about a rival streaming platform?

Chances are the SPFL would need to outsource the broadcasting infrastructure to them anyway. Might even be a win-win. 

The problem with SKY is the lions share of games and monies is given to the OF. But they (SKY) have the money, and so can dictate what they want (4 OF games per season=crap league set up). To oust SKY (or at least change how TV is run), we would require a deal well in excess of their 125 mill.

I love the idea of clubs hosting their own channels, we've shown the quality of what can be achieved over the last 18 months. However, if for instance, JA & Amazon were to come in and offer 300/400 or 500 mill... then they would also be in a strong position to 'add strings'. Like 'only if it's an 18 team league' or 'only if there is an equal share of televised games and monies'... the OF wouldn't like it, but I'm sure everyone else would. But I feel it would have to be funding of the like we've never seen before... it would have to be of the amount where by, if the OF 'block' the proposal using our ridiculous voting system, everyone else can say fine, GIRFUY we all resign... and leave the OF to lick their wounds.

Ok, pie-in-the-sky stuff, I know... but until our voting structure is changed, it's going to take an obscene amount of £££s to make any real changes, and SKY will continue to dictate.

But we have to start somewhere.