Question for any Electricians

Konrad von Carstein

Konrad von Carstein

We have a light in our entrance vestibule, which is fine, however,  it is switched from inside the house. We have a door into vestibule and a second door into the house and just at the door is a triple gang switch, upstairs, downstairs and vestibule. (there is another two gang switch at the l/room door for up and down stairs)

My question is, is it possible to add a switch in the vestibule,  easily obviously :lol: not concerned if it requires trunking as it would fit the look we are going for and the walls cannot be raggled in any case.

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

We have a light in our entrance vestibule, which is fine, however,  it is switched from inside the house. We have a door into vestibule and a second door into the house and just at the door is a triple gang switch, upstairs, downstairs and vestibule. (there is another two gang switch at the l/room door for up and down stairs)

My question is, is it possible to add a switch in the vestibule,  easily obviously :lol: not concerned if it requires trunking as it would fit the look we are going for and the walls cannot be raggled in any case.

Drop it from above or under the floor.

6 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I’m assuming you want the switch in the vest so you can turn on light in vest as you come in ?

Plenty options these days for detectors if it’s only to see when you come in.

Also wireless pad you can fit with no need to run any wiring. Receiver at light fitting. Ask at a wholesaler.

Konrad von Carstein
8 hours ago, Boab said:

I’m assuming you want the switch in the vest so you can turn on light in vest as you come in ?

Plenty options these days for detectors if it’s only to see when you come in.

Also wireless pad you can fit with no need to run any wiring. Receiver at light fitting. Ask at a wholesaler.

Interesting thanks.

Do you have a link to an example of one of these....

Sorry for being a pest :(

4 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Interesting thanks.

What about the rest of the mansion? :whistling:

15 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Is the triple gang switch back to back with vestibule as you could drill through the back of the box and add a switch

Konrad von Carstein
47 minutes ago, Sergio said:

Is the triple gang switch back to back with vestibule as you could drill through the back of the box and add a switch

Yes it is... That could be the easiest solution... Will have a look on YouTube etc...Thanks

Edited by Konrad von Carstein

2 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Interesting thanks.

I’ll post up the make later, mate.

If your home wifi setup connects to your phone from the front garden you could always just get a smartbulb and switch it on from your phone as you approach, or for example if you arrive home at the same time every night you can set it on a schedule

56 minutes ago, Ribble said:

If your home wifi setup connects to your phone from the front garden you could always just get a smartbulb and switch it on from your phone as you approach, or for example if you arrive home at the same time every night you can set it on a schedule

Yip.

I’ve got Phillips Hue in the hoose.

👍

Click-Scolmore is the mob that do the wireless switch, KVC.

Probably easier when you open the outer door to hit the pad to bring on the Vest light rather than muck about on your phone. 
Just need to bridge the feed and vest switch wire at the 3-gang and fit receiver at vest light. Pad is wireless and can go anywhere in vest.

👍

Konrad von Carstein
8 minutes ago, Boab said:

Click-Scolmore is the mob that do the wireless switch, KVC.

Probably easier when you open the outer door to hit the pad to bring on the Vest light rather than muck about on your phone. 
Just need to bridge the feed and vest switch wire at the 3-gang and fit receiver at vest light. Pad is wireless and can go anywhere in vest.

👍

Thanks...

2 hours ago, Ribble said:

If he gets one of they Alexa things, he can shout 'Alexa, light on' through the letterbox.

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

If he gets one of they Alexa things, he can shout 'Alexa, light on' through the letterbox.

Or the deluxe version - get a parrot and train it to shout 'Alexa, light on' when it gets dark.

Konrad von Carstein
23 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Buy a fecking torch. :)

Not gonna lie,  my heid is spinning after looking on line,  and right now this is the most likely solution :lol: :(

If you’re not sure about doing it yourself or don’t want to pay a spark why not just stick a battery powered motion sensor led light in the vestibule? Could be a short term solution till you give it done thought. There will be shitloads on Amazon. 

Konrad von Carstein
11 minutes ago, Dazo said:

If you’re not sure about doing it yourself or don’t want to pay a spark why not just stick a battery powered motion sensor led light in the vestibule? Could be a short term solution till you give it done thought. There will be shitloads on Amazon. 

Cheers, certainly an option.

Not gonna lie,  my heid is spinning after looking on line,  and right now this is the most likely solution :lol: :(

🤣

5 hours ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Sound as if you need to wear a heid torch.  Problem solved.  ;)

On 14/09/2021 at 08:11, Konrad von Carstein said:

Yes it is... That could be the easiest solution... Will have a look on YouTube etc...Thanks

Depends on how your house is wired tbh but should be able to join the cables in the triple gang back box and drill through to the other side and add a switch meaning you'll be left with a 2 gang in the inside and 1 in the vestibule