Mceneff and Walkers future ?

6 hours ago, Smithee said:

Of course you can

Exactly, you do it in training.  You do enough to earn your place on the bench, then when you get your chances to come off the bench, you do enough to convince the manager that you should be starting.  If you can't rise to the challenge, then you're done as a starting choice, you are back up at best or released / loaned in the next window.

It seems like our recruitment policy is now very much aligned to that principle, bringing in players who can challenge established first team players, keep them on their toes and don't let anyone think they are guaranteed starters (apart from the exceptional ones like Gordon and Souttar).

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• Bongo 1874

• wavydavy

A_A wehatethehibs

They are fringe players, who don’t fit into the main 3-4-3 we are adopting, why is that such a controversy? Mceneff I think is worth a try at rwb but that’s all it would be, a try / experiment. As for Walker, I think Neilson has simply moved on to other players now with better engines as have I 

4 hours ago, Ugly American said:

The others, with the exception of Woodburn who seems to like the middle of the park, are more naturally wide players. Walker has a role to cut out as one of our few true central attackers -- I'm thinking Boyce, Gnando, Walker, and possibly Woodburn.

Walker's best spot IMO is as a #10 lurking around the top of the box. Whenever we put him wide in a 4-2-3-1 in the past, he would always cut inside anyway, which when you lined him up with Paterson on the outside was just fine.

I agree that Walker is no longer a wide player and should be played more centrally, but I disagree that Woodburn out of the current wide players is the only one that’s considered a central attacker also. GMS played ahead of Walker in the no.10 role on more than one occasion, so he’s ahead of him as is Woodburn as you say. McKay can play anywhere along the attacking three positions (LW/CAM/RW) and has done in the English Championship, so he’ll be ahead of Walker. And personally in the no.8/no.10 CAM role I’d have McEneff ahead of Walker too. So for me, whether it’s CAM or wide positions, Walker is 5th choice for either.

Plenty games to come. Plenty suspensions and injuries to come.

They’ll both get their chance.

I actually feel like yesterday was a game Walker would’ve come on and scored in. 

I think they'll both stay until the end of the season but its quite obvious that they're not going to be starting much, if at all. Walker has a monent in him, but not enough to play a full match, and McEneff I think unfortunately just isn't a good enough player.

AlphonseCapone

Walker has scored 50 goals for Hearts so won't criticise what he's done for us but, it's a great sign of the higher standards we're reaching that he's nowhere near the team now. 

29 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Aye but you were a massive racist about it... 

ummm no I wasn’t mate

some Internet bullies on here suggested it but that’s not the case

Don’t follow their footsteps 

Whether it’s McEneff or A N Other (Devlin?), his style is what I’d like to see beside Beni.   Someone who works the length of the park, is instantly attack minded but knows their defensive duties.  

McEneff came across like that to me.  Prepared to work hard but has a mentality of being positive on the ball.  

Ainsley Harriott

I've heard from a very reliable source Walker will be wearing green come then end of the season.

Working nights in Asda.....

13 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

The genius in the dug out maybe going to convert him into a defensive player. 

I bet the genius in the dugout can spell Aaron's surname right though....

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Whether it’s McEneff or A N Other (Devlin?), his style is what I’d like to see beside Beni.   Someone who works the length of the park, is instantly attack minded but knows their defensive duties.  

McEneff came across like that to me.  Prepared to work hard but has a mentality of being positive on the ball.  

I was very impressed with his first couple of games last season. To me he looked like the forward-thinking midfielder we’ve been missing for so long. Really don’t know what happened after that.

4 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

I bet the genius in the dugout can spell Aaron's surname right though....

Spelling players’ names right is a nightmare sometimes. I’ve had two failed attempts at Baningime already today, and I’m desperately hoping this third one is correct!

Walkers number seems to be up with the signings we have brought in so far. McEneff is a victim of the system and probably would have been suited to yesterdays game. 

I think Aaron has fallen foul of our move to 343., which you have to say has been largely successful.

Obv not seen as being part of a two man mid. I'd disagree personally but he has Beni and Haring there on merit and now Devlin

I'd like to think he's ahead of Halliday in the cm queue but can see why Halliday would be on bench due to his flexibility

Squad ain't bad you'd have to say

2 hours ago, jonesy said:

Has AM played wing-back before at his previous clubs, or is this just guesswork? 

I've not been a fan of MS for about two or three years now. Yes, he's consistent, but it's a consistent 6 or 6.5, not a 7 or 7.5. We need better, and for wing backs, we need genuine game changers.

Correct. Smith can be an auxiliary player for back 3. Indeed a very valuable auxiliary but you feel his days as a wing back should be numbered.

42 minutes ago, Bret the Hitman Hearts said:

Walker would have scored the chance that GMS had yesterday 👀

Probably. Very good finisher. Natural finisher. Natural police

16 hours ago, 160598 said:

Be interested to know folks thoughts. If I was Mceneff Id be well ****ed off and if Walker checking the employment market - thoughts ?

Squad players. 

Who would you leave out of the starting eleven for either of them? 

16 hours ago, Macros said:

I understand a player gets frustrated with not playing or not being picked but it bugged me when I saw Gnanduillet walking up the tunnel with about 4 minutes to go this afternoon. It's a derby, it's 0-0 with minutes to go but he walks away 

I noticed this too

Not a good look from Nando, unless he was about to shit his pants, then he could have at least stayed with the team for 90mins

I have a feeling Nando will be off in the next window, I get the feeling he is a player who will spit the dummy if he is not first pick

Stupid Sexy Flanders
17 hours ago, R1874 said:

McEneff should get a shot at RWB

Walker is done unless we have injury crisis

Right now everyone is fit so squad looks big. Only takes a couple of injuries to change everything 

I agree with this. I'd like to see how he'd get on in that position. Much as I love Mick Smith I don't think he's got the legs or the crossing ability to play RWB any more. 

7 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Could walker be our third striker.  Backup for Boyce and Gnando.  His finishing is terrific

Yes he could be a striker.  He (or Woodburn) would be more of a like-for-like replacement for Boyce than Gnando.

11 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I agree that Walker is no longer a wide player and should be played more centrally, but I disagree that Woodburn out of the current wide players is the only one that’s considered a central attacker also. GMS played ahead of Walker in the no.10 role on more than one occasion, so he’s ahead of him as is Woodburn as you say. McKay can play anywhere along the attacking three positions (LW/CAM/RW) and has done in the English Championship, so he’ll be ahead of Walker. And personally in the no.8/no.10 CAM role I’d have McEneff ahead of Walker too. So for me, whether it’s CAM or wide positions, Walker is 5th choice for either.

For me GMS gets pushed around too much at the top of the box and is better cutting in from the wing. McKay and Gino are also better with some space to run. I wasn't able to watch much of last season so I don't have a feel for McEneff's game so I'll shut my trap there.

I thought at the end of the match yesterday the best sub, if we could have had one left, would have been either Gnanduillet or Walker to provide that extra little bit of punch in the middle help draw Porteous' physical presence and his sneaky pulls and pushes and free Boyce up a bit.

21 hours ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

I actually think Walker would be perfect for the system we play. As one of the forwards behind Boyce. But that’s just me, and has nothing to do with a successful campaign on football manager! 

This is about where I am.

Even if it's as an impact sub. He's shown what he's capable of when coming off the bench.

One of the players in our squad who has real ability to change a game.

I think there might be more going on behind the scenes though that has lead to Neilson having omitted him so readily.

Hope i'm wrong mind you.

1 hour ago, Ugly American said:

For me GMS gets pushed around too much at the top of the box and is better cutting in from the wing. McKay and Gino are also better with some space to run. I wasn't able to watch much of last season so I don't have a feel for McEneff's game so I'll shut my trap there.

I thought at the end of the match yesterday the best sub, if we could have had one left, would have been either Gnanduillet or Walker to provide that extra little bit of punch in the middle help draw Porteous' physical presence and his sneaky pulls and pushes and free Boyce up a bit.

Gnanduillet was a no brainer for me against them anyway. I was disappointed not to see him start, but for the life of me don’t understand why he wasn’t used as one of the subs, even with effectively only having 2 available due to the premeditated Smith substitution. Don’t think anyone would have really moaned if McKay, who hadn’t trained at elite level since May, didn’t come on for a debut and Gnanduillet came on. In fact, there’s an argument to be said that throwing McKay on with so little elite training and time with his teammates when there was an alternative on the bench that scored on his last appearance is actually a very odd decision indeed.

17 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Gnanduillet was a no brainer for me against them anyway. I was disappointed not to see him start, but for the life of me don’t understand why he wasn’t used as one of the subs, even with effectively only having 2 available due to the premeditated Smith substitution. Don’t think anyone would have really moaned if McKay, who hadn’t trained at elite level since May, didn’t come on for a debut and Gnanduillet came on. In fact, there’s an argument to be said that throwing McKay on with so little elite training and time with his teammates when there was an alternative on the bench that scored on his last appearance is actually a very odd decision indeed.

I said exactly the same thing on a thread yesterday. Big guy should have started or been on with half an hour to go (and most definitely ahead of McKay).

I’ve got so much time for walker a real Hearts man he gets what we are all about and I love that but sadly I think his time is up . He kind of reminds me of another “Hearts” man Scott crabbe great potential never really hit the heights expected of him and a bit injury prone . I would love to be proved wrong though ❤️JW7

Guest ToqueJambo

It's called a squad for a reason. It's good thing we have players like this not even making the bench. They'll get chances but if not it means we have better players playing well ahead of them.

Guest ToqueJambo
23 hours ago, Scott Leitch said:

The genius in the dug out maybe going to convert him into a defensive player. 

The geniuses who have put as at the top end of the table playing an attacking formation and style?

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, mintmyster said:

I said exactly the same thing on a thread yesterday. Big guy should have started or been on with half an hour to go (and most definitely ahead of McKay).

McKay did very well when he came on - very promising debut. I'd love to see Gnando more often but the team is playing well without him.

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

McKay did very well when he came on - very promising debut. I'd love to see Gnando more often but the team is playing well without him.

And playing well when he’s played too. Don’t think anyone is saying McKay or other players have played badly that Gnanduillet should be a certain starter, but for me yesterday was a perfect example where we need to change things up and Gnanduillet could’ve and probably would’ve done that. McKay and Ginnelly were effectively like for like changes for Woodburn and GMS, so we didn’t change how we played so Hibs had no reason to adapt. Bringing Gnanduillet on, even for Boyce with no change of formation, would at the very least give them something to think about and would undoubtedly be a different outlet.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

And playing well when he’s played too. Don’t think anyone is saying McKay or other players have played badly that Gnanduillet should be a certain starter, but for me yesterday was a perfect example where we need to change things up and Gnanduillet could’ve and probably would’ve done that. McKay and Ginnelly were effectively like for like changes for Woodburn and GMS, so we didn’t change how we played so Hibs had no reason to adapt. Bringing Gnanduillet on, even for Boyce with no change of formation, would at the very least give them something to think about and would undoubtedly be a different outlet.

Definitely need to improve our crossing if we put Gnando in.

8 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Definitely need to improve our crossing if we put Gnando in.

You’d think one of the 4 wingers that Neilson plans to have all on at some point throughout the 90 would be capable of one or two. Maybe even a LWB cross or decent corner while we’re at it.

On 12/09/2021 at 22:31, 160598 said:

Be interested to know folks thoughts. If I was Mceneff Id be well ****ed off and if Walker checking the employment market - thoughts ?

I've nothing against Walker personally and I wish him well, but sadly these days he's nowhere near the level we need if we're going to be successful. He's simply not capable of producing the sort of performances that would help us challenge for 3rd place or anywhere close to it. I'd be both very surprised and very disappointed if he's given a new contract beyond next summer, and I'd be surprised if he then gets taken on by another Premiership club.

As for Mceneff, I don't think he's had enough game time to really show what he's capable of, but from what I've seen of him so far, he hasn't looked on the same level as the likes of Beni, Woodburn and GMS, so I think it would be very difficult for him to get much more game time. I know some people criticise Neilson for not giving him that time to prove himself, but if he did, and it resulted in us not winning games, the same folk would slaughter Neilson for that!

McEneff looks a goal threat to me which is what we have lacked so far. As a sub he hit the post at St Mirren and scored in the League Cup at Parkhead.  Who would you leave out to play McEneff? ,  that's the issue at the moment no one but I would always have him on the bench at least. 

Walker will need to bide his time and wait on injury or suspension as he has better players ahead of him at the moment.

Good problems to have , rather than relying on the likes of Kastaneer or Frear. 

11 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

The geniuses who have put as at the top end of the table playing an attacking formation and style?

Long way to go before he convinces he isn't going to go back to his shite bag ways. 

We are only 5 league games into the season. Both featured in the league cup groups. 

A few bad performances or injuries and they could easily come back into the squad. Very unusual that we have a full squad to choose from right now. 

13 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Completely agree here... the last 3 times Gnando has come on, it's coincided with us getting back on top in the games, and scoring in one of them. 

AM and JW( you can add Nando) are potential goalscorers whereas Robbies seemingly preferred options ain't. ( Club career goals- Woodburn 1, Ginnelli 14, McKay 29 mostly lower league with Rangers, GMS 46) 

Realistically GMS is probably our most likely scorer, obviously other than Boyce. Against both Hibs and Aberdeen when GMS was subbed our goal threat virtually disappeared. If RN doesn't want to play AM, JW or Nando argument would be we need to sign a goalscorer that he will play. 

Walker will struggle with 3  players in front of him in the queue 

McEneff played more often than not out of his alleged best position. Sadly remains an issue for us signing seemingly  decent players and playing them out of position. 

Despite the question posed -nice to have problems trying to get a team on the park that keeps everyone happy.

On 12/09/2021 at 22:43, 160598 said:

Hes not had a run thats for sure. I feel for the lad having upped sticks full of hope to progress and secure a future. Probably a plan we dont know about - may be a slow burner

Unfortunately RN is determined to become a clone of Levein. So I won’t be surprised if McEneff leaves in next 12 months. It’s a pity as he has a lot to offer unlike donkeys like Halliday.

Guest ToqueJambo
10 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

You’d think one of the 4 wingers that Neilson plans to have all on at some point throughout the 90 would be capable of one or two. Maybe even a LWB cross or decent corner while we’re at it.

McKay put in some good balls when he came on. I think we need to stop thinking of the likes of GMS and Ginnelly as wingers though - more inside forwards I think in the John Colquhoun mould when he played in a 3? Could be wrong though.

Edited by ToqueJambo

13 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

McKay put in some good balls when he came on. I think we need to stop thinking of the likes of GMS and Ginnelly as wingers though - more inside forwards I think in the John Colquhoun mould when he played in a 3? Could be wrong though.

GMS is.  Gino isn't.  His game is based on playing the lines.   

As for the OP.  Walker seems finished tbh.  The way we set up on Sunday would have suited him fantastically and he can't get a look in at all.  

21 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I don’t think of GMS as a winger. Ginnelly is more than capable of whipping in a fantastic cross though. I just feel he doesn’t do it often enough (might be as we have so few in the box to aim at) but I would love to see Gnanduillet get on the end of a few of his crosses, they just are rarely on the pitch together - and when they were Ginnelly assisted a Gnanduillet goal funnily enough.