Mceneff and Walkers future ?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• Bongo 1874

• wavydavy

Neilson after the game suggested they do have futures. Like others they will have to wait for their chance as the ones playing at the moment are doing well. Injuries, possible covid cases and suspensions will come so they will get their chance I’m sure 

3 minutes ago, 160598 said:

Be interested to know folks thoughts. If I was Mceneff Id be well fukked off and if Walker checking the employment market - thoughts ?

Depends on whether they're the type to stand and fight in their respective situations.

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Depends on whether they're the type to stand and fight in their respective situations.

Canny fight if your no on the bench

Edited by 160598

1 minute ago, Newton51 said:

Think Walker will go out on loan

I think he might too - Walker's time at Hearts is up after this season IMO.

2 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

Has Mcineff had a chance in his strongest position? It's a question not a criticism.

Hes not had a run thats for sure. I feel for the lad having upped sticks full of hope to progress and secure a future. Probably a plan we dont know about - may be a slow burner

1 minute ago, 160598 said:

Hes not had a run thats for sure. I feel for the lad having upped sticks full of hope to progress and secure a future. Probably a plan we dont know about - may be a slow burner

The genius in the dug out maybe going to convert him into a defensive player. 

How has McEneff not had a run? He had a couple of sub appearances initially then started each of the last 12 games last season, as well as the first game this season against Peterhead.

He's got something about him and popped up with a couple of goals, but he's also been too peripheral in his several starts (all against lower/non-league opposition) to merit a place in the team just now. To be fair, that's probably why people have forgotten that he has had a good run of games.

I'm not writing him off - I hope he comes good. But he hasn't done enough to merit a place ahead of any of our other options in his position. Unless you have a first team squad of exactly 18 players then some are going to miss out when everyone's fit.

Edited by DC_92

Think both are good enough to do a job when called upon. It's about time we had a good enough squad to keep "decent" players in back up. Hopefully they are both professional enough to realise they may well play a part in the season when injuries and suspension kick in and not throw toys out the prams

8 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

How has McEneff not had a run? He had a couple of sub appearances initially then started each of the last 12 games last season, as well as the first game this season against Peterhead.

He's got something about him and popped up with a couple of goals, but he's also been too peripheral in his several starts (all against lower/non-league opposition) to merit a place in the team just now. To be fair, that's probably why people have forgotten that he has had a good run of games.

I'm not writing him off - I hope he comes good. But he hasn't done enough to merit a place ahead of any of our other options in his position. Unless you have a first team squad of exactly 18 players then some are going to miss out when everyone's fit.

I meant against Prem opposition - I didnt judge him on last year for good reason on his behalf.

McEneff should get a shot at RWB

Walker is done unless we have injury crisis

Right now everyone is fit so squad looks big. Only takes a couple of injuries to change everything 

Edited by R1874

Niemi’s gloves
46 minutes ago, 160598 said:

Be interested to know folks thoughts. If I was Mceneff Id be well fukked off and if Walker checking the employment market - thoughts ?

It’s not as if the bench was full of youngsters. We’re at full strength right now but won’t always be. If you want to have lots of experienced back-up, you’ve got to be able to deal with the possibility that some won’t make even the bench some times. 

I understand a player gets frustrated with not playing or not being picked but it bugged me when I saw Gnanduillet walking up the tunnel with about 4 minutes to go this afternoon. It's a derby, it's 0-0 with minutes to go but he walks away 

I remember thinking the bench looked strong;

Stewart

Moore

Halliday

Devlin

Ginnelly

McKay

Gnanduillet

The question would then be who do McEneff or Walker replace? Walker is behind Ginnelly and McKay in the pecking order, so can understand him not getting ahead of them. McEneff however is a strange one, in that he would be an alternative to anything else we had on the bench rather than a like for like - which in itself in my opinion should warrant his inclusion. (Not to mention he has in the past been square pegged in round hole at RWB and although I don’t want to see him there, could’ve offered more in an attacking sense than Moore did today)

So who does McEneff replace? Simply put, Halliday. Not having a go at Halliday, but who was he there to cover? CM? We have Devlin for CDM already. LB/LWB? We have two of those already on the pitch, if Kingsley comes off it can be for Moore, if Cochrane comes off it can be for Moore too, and Kingsley goes back to his natural position. Could you argue Halliday could operate more of an attacking of the midfield two so cover for that? Maybe, but the likelihood is McEneff could do so better.

McEneff when he has played has shown enough to be able to ask legitimate questions. Walker should be on the phone to John McGlynn asking for a second loan over there.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

4 minutes ago, Macros said:

I understand a player gets frustrated with not playing or not being picked but it bugged me when I saw Gnanduillet walking up the tunnel with about 4 minutes to go this afternoon. It's a derby, it's 0-0 with minutes to go but he walks away 

Yup - but that could be countered by the fact that the game was screaming out for him, he wants to play but cant because a 33 yr old with a knock who played the other day was chosen and were out of subs.

Jambof3tornado
44 minutes ago, Scott Leitch said:

Has Mcineff had a chance in his strongest position? It's a question not a criticism.

Nope. We've yet to see what he can or cannot do.

Neilsons job is to keep them all motivated, as season goes on there will be injuries and downturn of form. For McNeff I think he will get gamete. 

From memory though Neilsons not very good at keeping guys not involved happy, likes to move them out very quickly.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
28 minutes ago, jambo1975 said:

Think both are good enough to do a job when called upon. It's about time we had a good enough squad to keep "decent" players in back up. Hopefully they are both professional enough to realise they may well play a part in the season when injuries and suspension kick in and not throw toys out the prams

This 👍

Sub4TiddlerMurray
Just now, 160598 said:

I reckon Walker will already have spat the dummy

You could see Walker doing warm down training behind RN when he was being interviewed and he looked ok.

I think RN's giving him the message that he can't just turn up to play, he needs some fire in his belly to get ahead of the players we now have. If he can't find it, he'll be out the door.

3 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

You could see Walker doing warm down training behind RN when he was being interviewed and he looked ok.

I think RN's giving him the message that he can't just turn up to play, he needs some fire in his belly to get ahead of the players we now have. If he can't find it, he'll be out the door.

hmm win win situation for the team in that case

Tynecastlesmychurch

I actually think Walker would be perfect for the system we play. As one of the forwards behind Boyce. But that’s just me, and has nothing to do with a successful campaign on football manager! 

On paper this is probably the deepest squad we have had in many years. There is no doubt we'll need this depth later in the season. The only area we lack depths is RB/RWB ...wasn't impressed with Moore and Smiths delivery often lacks in the final third.

2 minutes ago, Renoir said:

On paper this is probably the deepest squad we have had in many years. There is no doubt we'll need this depth later in the season. The only area we lack depths is RB/RWB ...wasn't impressed with Moore and Smiths delivery often lacks in the final third.

often - youre very generous mate

6 minutes ago, Tynecastlesmychurch said:

I actually think Walker would be perfect for the system we play. As one of the forwards behind Boyce. But that’s just me, and has nothing to do with a successful campaign on football manager! 

If Im being completely honest - every part of my being is screaming to Boyce to stay up top (it was Naisy before him) Just stay **** put and the number 10 should be feeding you. He peels off , gets the ball and which way is he facing ?

Just now, 160598 said:

often - youre very generous mate

I can't criticise him too much as he hasn't looked fit, been our best player since he arrived and always gives 100%, so of all our players probably deserves a bit of leeway.

3 minutes ago, Renoir said:

I can't criticise him too much as he hasn't looked fit, been our best player since he arrived and always gives 100%, so of all our players probably deserves a bit of leeway.

All true but if I suggested there is no room for sentiment in this team to move forward - who would truthfully disagree ?

1 hour ago, McCrae said:

I don’t think either of them are playing at a good enough standard for Hearts.

Sid we also pay a fee for Bobby Burns as well?   Just not sure the irish market is worth it if paying transfer fees.  

7 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Sid we also pay a fee for Bobby Burns as well?   Just not sure the irish market is worth it if paying transfer fees.  

Hard to say with McEneff. Not given enough of a chance but clearly not showing enough in training. Although Neilson said in training he trained brilliantly the last two weeks. 

I’d like to see him get a shot at RWB. 

StevenNaismith

AM was sat on his phone the entire game today, that didn’t go unnoticed either. We were happy for both players to leave at the end of the window so don’t see either of them having a long term future at the club.

bigsuperslim1874
11 minutes ago, StevenNaismith said:

AM was sat on his phone the entire game today, that didn’t go unnoticed either. We were happy for both players to leave at the end of the window so don’t see either of them having a long term future at the club.

That’s pretty disappointing - I know he will be hacked off at his current situation but at least try and look like you are supporting your teammates.

Like a few folk on here I don’t think he has been given a proper chance - is it just a case Robbie doesn’t rate him

at all? He certainly has the engine and has popped up with a few goals. 🤷🏼‍♂️

19 minutes ago, hearts00 said:

Hard to say with McEneff. Not given enough of a chance but clearly not showing enough in training. Although Neilson said in training he trained brilliantly the last two weeks. 

I’d like to see him get a shot at RWB. 

He deserves more of a chance before moving him on.  I'd be wary of spending money in the Irish market after him and Burns if he doesn't do it.  

I'd like is just to play him.in his preferred position when the chance arises rather than RWB. Might be alright there but not playing to his real strengths.  

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

There’s this thing called a squad…

That's why I would definitely keep McEneff.  Walker maybe until xmas then loaned out of not getting any game time. 

McEneff can still be developed.  No point in signing him not using our facilities and coaches to help him improve. 

We do need to start improving players through coaching.  One of the real disappointments of levein and McPhee is that they never seemed to make players better. 

Posted on another thread , I think his career is over with us. Probably should not have been brought back . McEneff, is young enough, and if we get really going, then he might develop in a good squad 

Surely we need a squad, right?

McEneff will get games when injuries start to bite. Walker on the other hand is a distant 4th choice wide player and probably 4th choice attacking mid. Pretty sure he'll be leaving when his contract is done.

He has talent but his lack of fitness, pace and stamina are clear as day.

He just can't play at the level we're aiming for.

20 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

There’s this thing called a squad…

2 minutes ago, cosanostra said:

McEneff will get games when injuries start to bite. Walker on the other hand is a distant 4th choice wide player and probably 4th choice attacking mid. Pretty sure he'll be leaving when his contract is done.

Spot on, but Rob has his favourites. 

2 hours ago, cosanostra said:

4th? I would say 5th choice. We started with GMS and Woodburn, who were replaced by Ginnelly and McKay, so that would make Walker 5th in that role. For attacking mid? At least 3 of the 4 are above Walker in that pecking order, and I’d have McEneff above him there too, so 5th at most in attacking midfield - could even be 6th depending on how Pollock does.

23 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

4th? I would say 5th choice. We started with GMS and Woodburn, who were replaced by Ginnelly and McKay, so that would make Walker 5th in that role. For attacking mid? At least 3 of the 4 are above Walker in that pecking order, and I’d have McEneff above him there too, so 5th at most in attacking midfield - could even be 6th depending on how Pollock does.

The others, with the exception of Woodburn who seems to like the middle of the park, are more naturally wide players. Walker has a role to cut out as one of our few true central attackers -- I'm thinking Boyce, Gnando, Walker, and possibly Woodburn.

Walker's best spot IMO is as a #10 lurking around the top of the box. Whenever we put him wide in a 4-2-3-1 in the past, he would always cut inside anyway, which when you lined him up with Paterson on the outside was just fine.

Tynecastlesmychurch
4 hours ago, 160598 said:

If Im being completely honest - every part of my being is screaming to Boyce to stay up top (it was Naisy before him) Just stay **** put and the number 10 should be feeding you. He peels off , gets the ball and which way is he facing ?

I know what you mean. Sometimes it can be frustrating seeing him dropping so far back. But I do think as the season progresses our forward players will all really start to gel! And that fingers crossed should hopefully lead to us scoring a lot of goals! 

again fingers crossed! 🤣🤞

4 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

This and I’ve said it before too