The Fear of Losing

Italian Lambretta

Italian Lambretta

Sadly we have a manager who would rather play more defensive midfielders because he is shit scared of losing. It will be the same setup all season even against crap teams like the vermin.  We will go to Dingwall next week and it will the same too many defensive players and one striker. He needs to ditch this attitude sharpish and let the good players play or we're going know where. The midfield for the Ross county game should be Beni, Woodburn and McKay with Boyce and Nando up front.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Bazzas right boot

I see where you’re coming from but it’s a bit black and white for me. I do think he sets up a wee bit cautiously in midfield and we do need more in an attacking sense from the centre but in saying that Beni and Haring have been excellent the last couple of games. I doubt we’ll play the same formation all season either. A 3-5-2 similar to the one we played at the tail end of last season would allow for an attacking midfielder. A return to 4-2-3-1 would mean Woodburn in behind Boyce. I’d bet money one of those formations will happen. 

Edited by GinRummy

10 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Sadly we have a manager who would rather play more defensive midfielders because he is shit scared of losing. It will be the same setup all season even against crap teams like the vermin.  We will go to Dingwall next week and it will the same too many defensive players and one striker. He needs to ditch this attitude sharpish and let the good players play or we're going know where. The midfield for the Ross county game should be Beni, Woodburn and McKay with Boyce and Nando up front.

Far too cautious a manager for my (and many others) liking.

He has been given the tools to take the brakes off but will he utilise them.

Jambof3tornado
7 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Just needs a little tweak. I'm not a fan of the wing backs as we dont deploy then far enough up to offer much attacking threat.

9 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

What a load of nonsense :rofl: 

7 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

We didn't set up not to lose today, stop talking pish. We weren't good but we were never up against it on the back foot!

Only 3 attacking players in the starting XI every week. No midfield runners, all far too defensive. The formation has potential to be a winner but we need to start more forward-thinking players.

Yes, it is sad that we are unbeaten in 5 league games and right up at the top end of the league. 

Being serious though, I think the players will grow in confidence - we've had a really tough start, considering the celtic cup game, and not much of a chance to inplement our attacking game.  I don't think that is down to the manager though, more the players mindset.

If you want to look at what the manager has done, just compare the squad with some of the ones we had over the last 4/5 seasons, when it would have been common to turn up for a derby and hope to win with youth players, no strikers, no wingers, etc.

2 minutes ago, Dia Liom said:

Yes, it is sad that we are unbeaten in 5 league games and right up at the top end of the league. 

Being serious though, I think the players will grow in confidence - we've had a really tough start, considering the celtic cup game, and not much of a chance to inplement our attacking game.  I don't think that is down to the manager though, more the players mindset.

If you want to look at what the manager has done, just compare the squad with some of the ones we had over the last 4/5 seasons, when it would have been common to turn up for a derby and hope to win with youth players, no strikers, no wingers, etc.

I assumed this thread was about Ross .

Putting us under some serious threat towards the end then gets his team to indulge in some serious time wasting .

Quite bizarre

9 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Not quite this simple for me. The formation he plays will only be fully utilised if the WBs issue is sorted. Smith isn’t a WB. He has no pace and can’t cross a ball. Cochrane is a very solid defender but again, doesn’t offer enough going forward. Thus, we end up playing with 5 at the back as opposed to 3 with two WBs. 

Beni and Haring dominated the midfield today. They are giving the attacking players the platform to go and express themselves. But again, until we solve the WB issue, I’m not sure 3-4-3 suits us as a team.

With the players we have, I think we may be better in a 4-2-3-1 which we can switch to a 3-4-3, depending on how the respective match is going as opposed to the other way around.

I think the likes of Woodburn (who was impressive today), will prove more effective in such a system. 

It’s a shame Smith was an enforced substitute today as I suspect Gnando May have been introduced and he would have given Boyce some much needed support in the final third/in around the box. 

It's effectively a midfield two, which means we'll be outnumbered in there a lot this season. In my opinion, having two good ball-winners in here has been essential to helping us control games and maintain a regular supply to the front three. That said, there is potential for improvement there if Devlin can match Haring's ball-winning ability while adding more mobility.

More of an issue is wing-back, particularly right-wing-back. In this system, it's these guys that are supposed to be the extra man in attack that helps to overload the opposition defence. Unfortunately, Smith often gets in the right areas but lacks the end product. More unfortunately, we don't have a proper alternative which is why we had to play a centre-back there for the last 20 minutes.

8 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

Only 3 attacking players in the starting XI every week. No midfield runners, all far too defensive. The formation has potential to be a winner but we need to start more forward-thinking players.

We have 11 points, 1 behind the big spending rangers. What is is you what? Id love if we won today but it wasn't a great game, despite what's said on here Hibs are actually no too bad, that's why they are joint with us!

4 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

We had chances, their keeper had a great game.

They had chances, Craig Gordon had a great game.

It isn’t that deep.

It isn’t that shallow either 🤷‍♀️

2 minutes ago, jamboman9 said:

We'll have more draws than wins this season and be comfortable in mid table.

Dull dull dull.

I’d wager that we’ll have more wins than losses though which would be only be the 3rd time in more than a decade*

*in the top flight 

12 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

I’m not his biggest fan but, for me Haring is not a DM. Always looking to get the ball forward.

Ive said elsewhere he is a conservative manager who worries more about stopping the opposition than imposing ourselves on them.

I think he now has the players to get forward more and, hopefully we will improve in an attacking sense. Isolated Boyce needs support 

We’re going in the right direction but he’s never gonna be a gung ho all guns blazing kind of manager

24 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Not a fan of RN by any means but it's not his fault Smith can't cross a ball or the poor decision making by the attackers or the piss poor attempts  get in the box to get on the end of something (Smith permitting). In fact, too often , I thought, attackers were getting isolated due to running round like headless chickens (1st half especially)., almost like they'd been told to run at Hibs at any opportunity. The only exception being Ben Woodburn. 

30 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

What a load  of rubbish.

2 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Not a fan of RN by any means but it's not his fault Smith can't cross a ball or the poor decision making by the attackers or the piss poor attempts  get in the box to get on the end of something (Smith permitting). In fact, too often , I thought, attackers were getting isolated due to running round like headless chickens (1st half especially)., almost like they'd been told to run at Hibs at any opportunity. The only exception being Ben Woodburn. 

But Neilson is the manager and it’s up to him to fix issues. 

Jambof3tornado

Quite pleased Robbie said we are disappointed we didn't get the win.

We had chances to win that match, GMS had time to open his foot and go to the keepers right but its a great save.

I do think we lack attack minded players, cochrane gets in good positions but his 1st thought is always to be safe.....he has 3 centre halfs behind him, he can afford to take a risk but never does.

Relying on beni or Haring to join in attacks is asking too much. Intereting that that mceneff was the one to drop out the squad today as I dont think we have seen nearly enough of him to decide how good he is(in the same way ryan edwards lacked oportunities).

I hope we are more attacking in our home games against the lesser sides, these are the must win games that Robbie will be judged on(from my point of view).

15 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Putting us under some serious threat towards the end then gets his team to indulge in some serious time wasting .

Quite bizarre

That's what I saw...

Just now, Debut 4 said:

The OP was blaming RN for being defensive. He/the team wasn't. 

31 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Beni doesn’t need someone on top of him like Haring who does a similar role. He needs a Hartley type who works the length of the pitch but moves the ball on quicker and decisively. 

The manager needs to realise the potential of the squad at his disposal. 

5 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

But he keeps picking Smith there? Right of a midfield 4 and he picks a right back?

15 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

We had chances, their keeper had a great game.

They had chances, Craig Gordon had a great game.

It isn’t that deep.

I agree with this. On another day we would have buried them. 

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

The OP was blaming RN for being defensive. He/the team wasn't. 

But the nature of players in positions suggest it’s safety in mind. It’s sounds great we play 3-4-3 but who plays in the positions?

If we play two naturally defensive minded wing backs, you need the centre of the park to then offer the threat. 

Also, are we getting the best of players attributes?  GMS largely ineffective where he’s being asked to play but has pace to burn. But let’s play him through the middle?

He should be wider and getting balls slipped into him enabling him to take the full back on and use his best parts.  

Hoping he’s doing 1-2s with Boyce is hopeful. GMS’s game isn’t being able to play with his back to defenders looking to empty him. 

Just now, Jambos1983 said:

But he keeps picking Smith there? Right of a midfield 4 and he picks a right back?

I'll leave it to others to talk about (better) options available. I'm responding to the OP claims that RN is too defensively minded.  IMO there was plenty of wasted opportunities in the game, especially when we had a 3 man overload on Hibs right but often made little of it. 

1 minute ago, NANOJAMBO said:

I'll leave it to others to talk about (better) options available. I'm responding to the OP claims that RN is too defensively minded.  IMO there was plenty of wasted opportunities in the game, especially when we had a 3 man overload on Hibs right but often made little of it. 

He is defensively minded it's patently obvious. He started 7 defensive outfield players ffs

Just now, Jambos1983 said:

He is defensively minded it's patently obvious. He started 7 defensive outfield players ffs

Had plenty of possession for long spells high up the pitch after Hibs dominated the opening 20 minutes but the final ball into the box was never good enough.  Boyce was poor , Ginnelly is hopeless , poor decision making (as per Aberdeen game) in the final third This is still a work in progress.

6 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Beni doesn’t need someone on top of him like Haring who does a similar role. He needs a Hartley type who works the length of the pitch but moves the ball on quicker and decisively. 

The manager needs to realise the potential of the squad at his disposal. 

Think we’re hoping that man’ll be Devlin. RN probably right not to chuck him in today.

Disappointing not to win but I'm taking a lot of positives out of today’s game. If Robbie was setting out not to lose such a game Halliday would have started.

15 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

That comment says what is wrong with modern football. In today's game players are not allowed to think for themselves anymore. Must do the coaches/ managers instructions to the letter or else. What's wrong with players sorting out issues on the pitch themselves?

53 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

sorry I don’t agree. No way did he set up to defend.  Despite what some think we were playing a very decent side today. There was nothing between the sides today.

It’s best to ignore these threads as the contributors will never be happy as long as Neilson is in charge. 

We look a lot better in this system. We’re playing a lot better football and are a lot more solid. If Boyce and Souttar would have been better today we would have been a lot more comfortable.

1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m no fan of our coach but we had a right good go at them today , not sure why it’s felt we were too cautious 

Because the OP played Neilson and not the game.

I do think in general he's too cautious. We started off on the back foot for the first 10 minutes but got a grip. To be fair most of Hibs chances came on the break from our corners.

40 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Quite bizarre

they were actually time wasting from the very first minute. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.  Your right it was totally bizarre 

To be honest if I were Robbie I’d be scared to lose..we were good today,  but the amount of negative pish I have read on here is beyond belief. And I’m one of neilsons biggest critics 

I think there are better managers out there who could take us on! But I’m not about to go making shit up and talking is down for the sake of it.  I’ve seen far far far worse derby day performances over the years..

was very encouraging despite the slightly disappointing result

7 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

I’m no fan of our coach but we had a right good go at them today , not sure why it’s felt we were too cautious 

:spoton:

Stern critic of Neilson but I do think criticism is a bit harsh today.

Hibs, like ourselves, are a decent side. We played well, in spells, but they made it difficult for us at times.

Always believed if there was a winner it would be for Hearts. Slightly disappointing that we didn't get it but I have no inclination to get on Neilson's back.

Next up, Ross County. Get the points there and we're still motoring.

Edited by martoon

Absolutely simplistic thinking to say 'more attacking players will win us games'

Look at Hibs - they had better chances 2nd half after bringing on a DM for a forward, because we controlled 30 minutes of the first half.

Beni and Haring help us get control of the game and get it to our forward players.  Our weakness was in the crossing from our WBs ( no idea why Kingsley and Cochrane aren't switched) and Boyce not being at his best holding the ball up today.

We did clearly settle for a point in the last 10 which was disappointing and the subs weren't great but the initial set up wasn't defensive

13 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

we weren’t - folk with a deep rooted agenda who just see what they want to see.  They’ve No credibility 

1 hour ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We set up the exact same way Chelsea do, with Kante and Jorginho in the midfield and Mount and Havertz floating behind Lukaku. 

Would you say they don't attack teams?

We had a tonne of possession in their half today, we just struggled to breakthrough.

Mostly, in my opinion, Boyce had a bit of a shocker. I'd have liked to have seen Gnando come on for him, rather than Ginnelly for GMS.

53 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

We have 11 points, 1 behind the big spending rangers. What is is you what? Id love if we won today but it wasn't a great game, despite what's said on here Hibs are actually no too bad, that's why they are joint with us!

Quite. "Pearls before swine" is the phrase which comes to mind. Any Hearts fan who couldn't enjoy today's game is doomed to eternal torment.