Gnanduillet

NB GIN

2 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

Are you implying that supporters should at all times be positive and not be critical or have views on who they like as a player or don’t like? I am 66 and both my granda and my Dad watched Hearts and spent their lives liking and disliking certain players, it’s what supporters do. 

FFS  There are no words for this 🙄

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobskeldon

• BackOfTheNet

• GinRummy

• JimmyCant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

Are you implying that supporters should at all times be positive and not be critical or have views on who they like as a player or don’t like? I am 66 and both my granda and my Dad watched Hearts and spent their lives liking and disliking certain players, it’s what supporters do. 

The clue is in the name supporter. I will always support any player that puts on our strip. Gnando offers something different to our other forwards and I hope we keep him past this season. Of course if we sign a better forward and the club decide he is surplus to requirements then that's fine with me too

1 minute ago, XB52 said:

The clue is in the name supporter. I will always support any player that puts on our strip. Gnando offers something different to our other forwards and I hope we keep him past this season. Of course if we sign a better forward and the club decide he is surplus to requirements then that's fine with me too

I can go along with that. 

Hoping we can get someone better is a bit different from the derogatory comments directed at Gnando from the dismal Jimmy's on here. 

They've always got to find a scapegoat. 

I have liked him since he appeared as a sub at Starks Park, he is a player and needs a couple of 90 min under his belt to get his match fitness . He'll get there I'm sure.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s just vocabulary mate that’s all. No one hates the guy or even dislikes him. I question his attitude and I think he’d be a better player if he had the attitude of a Boyce or a Devlin. I also think we’ve improved the squad so much in one window that he’s now out of his depth here. If you have a player in the first team squad that isn’t good enough, he goes, and you get someone else. Its as simple as that. It’s what squad development is all about, you identify areas you are weak in and you improve them. Personally I think we should have signed another striker in the summer, one that fitted in to our style of play a bit more. We don’t play long ball. We don’t hang crosses up for a big man. 

Unless I'm mistaken, the whole point of signing AG  was because we were looking at playing with wingers who would run behind defences, hit the goal line, and send in crosses for him to attack.  That was going to be our style of play. We signed Frear, Roberts, Kastaneer, Ginelly and latterly Mackay-Steven for that purpose. The first three proved to be poor signings and are now gone, with the jury still being out on GMS although he does have a good pedigree.   Ginelly's form also seems to have hit a blip. We now have Woodburn and Mackay who are more able to put decent crosses into the box, so If Gnando gets game time with decent service, he'll score goals.  He also chips in with his fair share of assists when he plays and he gives us a different option when things need changed up a bit. 

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

I can go along with that. 

Hoping we can get someone better is a bit different from the derogatory comments directed at Gnando from the dismal Jimmy's on here. 

They've always got to find a scapegoat. 

I am not ‘hoping’ we get someone better, my point is we ‘need’ someone better! I would be very, very surprised if both JS and RN think the same come January.

scott herbertson

I think he'll get goals for us pretty regularly, often as a sub, often just his little head flicks at corners or from crosses - he seems very accurate with those to me. 

I don't care about his style of play or people's assumptions about his 'attitude' (it amazes me how many people think they can tell about attitude just by posture or the look on someone's face - Walker used to get this all the time).

I think he makes a positive contribution when he comes on, rumbles up the opposition central defenders and makes a nuisance of himself.

That'll do for me

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

I think he'll get goals for us pretty regularly, often as a sub, often just his little head flicks at corners or from crosses - he seems very accurate with those to me. 

I don't care about his style of play or people's assumptions about his 'attitude' (it amazes me how many people think they can tell about attitude just by posture or the look on someone's face - Walker used to get this all the time).

I think he makes a positive contribution when he comes on, rumbles up the opposition central defenders and makes a nuisance of himself.

That'll do for me

“That’ll do for me”. Talk about low expectations! I think most of the new signings/loans can without doubt take us to another level in a relatively short timeframe and it’s a very exciting time to be a Hearts fan because of this. However, anyone who thinks that AG can take us to another level is delusional! If he was as good as people think or that RN “really likes him” he would be starting regularly, he isn’t starting because he is not good enough to start!

5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s just vocabulary mate that’s all. No one hates the guy or even dislikes him. I question his attitude and I think he’d be a better player if he had the attitude of a Boyce or a Devlin. I also think we’ve improved the squad so much in one window that he’s now out of his depth here. If you have a player in the first team squad that isn’t good enough, he goes, and you get someone else. Its as simple as that. It’s what squad development is all about, you identify areas you are weak in and you improve them. Personally I think we should have signed another striker in the summer, one that fitted in to our style of play a bit more. We don’t play long ball. We don’t hang crosses up for a big man. 

What do you think it is about his attitude? Just a feeling?

It just has to be one extreme to the other with some posters :lol:. Gnando is a good option who hasn't really done anything wrong in his limited game time but they don't both fit together in the system we play and Boyce is the first pick on merit. I hope we keep him around and he's happy with his role because he offers something and will be relied upon at times.

5 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Was fairly well known we were looking for another striker in the summer. With Henderson away, we needed another one plus Boyce and Gnando imo. So far so good with the injuries though.  

5 hours ago, Firefox said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the whole point of signing AG  was because we were looking at playing with wingers who would run behind defences, hit the goal line, and send in crosses for him to attack.  That was going to be our style of play. We signed Frear, Roberts, Kastaneer, Ginelly and latterly Mackay-Steven for that purpose. The first three proved to be poor signings and are now gone, with the jury still being out on GMS although he does have a good pedigree.   Ginelly's form also seems to have hit a blip. We now have Woodburn and Mackay who are more able to put decent crosses into the box, so If Gnando gets game time with decent service, he'll score goals.  He also chips in with his fair share of assists when he plays and he gives us a different option when things need changed up a bit. 

We’ve binned playing with wingers months ago mate. We play a narrow front 3 with a false 9. Our width comes from wing backs. None of whom are very adept at swinging crosses in for a big striker. I’m quite happy with the system that’s been developed now. Its attacking and it’s fluid. AG is redundant in our system IMO. I can’t remember the last time a striker scored leaping for a cross and heading it, probably AG at Kirkcaldy

Edited by JimmyCant

2 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

What do you think it is about his attitude? Just a feeling?

3 times I’ve seen him running right down the tunnel as soon as the whistle goes. No hand shakes with team mates or opposition. No interaction with fans. His body language says he doesn’t fancy it here. Whether he hasn’t settled or isn’t getting on with RN or just isn’t good enough and it’s frustrating him I don’t know. I don’t mind players not showing much emotion but it’s a team game with big crowds and folk like Devlin eat it up whilst others, it just doesn’t run off on. All irrelevant if you’re doing a great job. Starts to look bad if you’re not though.

4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

3 times I’ve seen him running right down the tunnel as soon as the whistle goes. No hand shakes with team mates or opposition. No interaction with fans. His body language says he doesn’t fancy it here. Whether he hasn’t settled or isn’t getting on with RN or just isn’t good enough and it’s frustrating him I don’t know. I don’t mind players not showing much emotion but it’s a team game with big crowds and folk like Devlin eat it up whilst others, it just doesn’t run off on. All irrelevant if you’re doing a great job. Starts to look bad if you’re not though.

we're back to the "the office staff are useless because they come across as nice people" chat from 18 months ago.

no mention of them now.

Boyce has 9 goals in 12 games I think this season.

if we're looking to sign another striker with that (or better) goal ratio then Joe Savage will have to take up Voodoo or Mr Anderson will have to accidentally drop a spare million quid on his way out the boardroom.

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

“That’ll do for me”. Talk about low expectations! I think most of the new signings/loans can without doubt take us to another level in a relatively short timeframe and it’s a very exciting time to be a Hearts fan because of this. However, anyone who thinks that AG can take us to another level is delusional! If he was as good as people think or that RN “really likes him” he would be starting regularly, he isn’t starting because he is not good enough to start!

my 'low expectations' for our second striker are, and I quote  "I think he'll get goals for us pretty regularly" "makes a positive contribution when he comes on, rumbles up the opposition central defenders and makes a nuisance of himself."

To get a striker who can take us to "another level" they would have to be as good as or better than Boyce. I don't expect that will be possible within our budget.

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

my 'low expectations' for our second striker are, and I quote  "I think he'll get goals for us pretty regularly" "makes a positive contribution when he comes on, rumbles up the opposition central defenders and makes a nuisance of himself."

To get a striker who can take us to "another level" they would have to be as good as or better than Boyce. I don't expect that will be possible within our budget.

I’m struggling to see how, when generally playing with one striker, we could keep two strikers of Boyce’s calibre happy. For instance (and this is only for the sake of an example) IF Gnando was playing instead of Boyce, week in week out, then I’d expect a transfer request to come from Boyce in the next window. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I’m struggling to see how, when generally playing with one striker, we could keep two strikers of Boyce’s calibre happy. For instance (and this is only for the sake of an example) IF Gnando was playing instead of Boyce, week in week out, then I’d expect a transfer request to come from Boyce in the next window. 

We won't keep them both happy, I'm fairly certain Gnado will move on next summer and suspect that Savage is already looking at replacements, both Boyce and Gnado will be in there 30s come end of season so need to be looking at some younger players for striking berth.

Something on Twitter at start of September about an Iranian team targeting Gnando, Persopolis i think  ? 

Its still early days in the season and i have a feeling we will see more of the big dude as games pass, he offers something different to what we currently have with Boycie, so maybe there is still a place for him here  ? 

2 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

We won't keep them both happy, I'm fairly certain Gnado will move on next summer and suspect that Savage is already looking at replacements, both Boyce and Gnado will be in there 30s come end of season so need to be looking at some younger players for striking berth.

We were looking at another option in the summer so you’re definitely right there I think. I really don’t know how much I believe that Gnando isn’t happy. I bought into the whole rumour that he had fell out with Robbie and effectively left the last time and felt like a bit of a cock for believing it. People banging on about body language and the fact he gets up the tunnel as soon as he can is just idle chit chat imo. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

We were looking at another option in the summer so you’re definitely right there I think. I really don’t know how much I believe that Gnando isn’t happy. I bought into the whole rumour that he had fell out with Robbie and effectively left the last time and felt like a bit of a cock for believing it. People banging on about body language and the fact he gets up the tunnel as soon as he can is just idle chit chat imo. 

Exactly. He might have a weak bladder

7 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

So far, Jo Savage has found and secured the full time services of 2 different class central midfielders, for nothing. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that he could find a striker in the same mould. Having said that, as far as we know, Gnando was also someone he sourced.

30 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

👍I think we will sign a new striker who will give Boyce the competition that most players have now, AG does not and will never be competition for Boyce.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, Firefox said:

Spot on. 

5 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

That'll do for me

Definitely 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ve binned playing with wingers months ago mate. We play a narrow front 3 with a false 9. Our width comes from wing backs. None of whom are very adept at swinging crosses in for a big striker. I’m quite happy with the system that’s been developed now. Its attacking and it’s fluid. AG is redundant in our system IMO. I can’t remember the last time a striker scored leaping for a cross and heading it, probably AG at Kirkcaldy

Two of our goals on Saturday came from crosses from McKay, who was playing wide with Smith inverted. Both times McKay picked out Cochrane. If Gnanduillet plays more often he might look for him with the crosses. Cochrane especially could do with a target when he’s looking to cross.

Pasquale for King
40 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Something on Twitter at start of September about an Iranian team targeting Gnando, Persopolis i think  ? 

Its still early days in the season and i have a feeling we will see more of the big dude as games pass, he offers something different to what we currently have with Boycie, so maybe there is still a place for him here  ? 

Dud is a bit harsh, Sammon/Watt/Frear/Roberts/Kastaneer/Popescu and many others are duds. 

34 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Two of our goals on Saturday came from crosses from McKay, who was playing wide with Smith inverted. Both times McKay picked out Cochrane. If Gnanduillet plays more often he might look for him with the crosses. Cochrane especially could do with a target when he’s looking to cross.

I was meaning more a speculative cross into the box hung up there for a striker to attack. There was nothing speculative about McKay’s assists although I suppose technically they were crosses, although the second one was more of a driven passnas opposed to a cross, it’s not the type of cross that Gnando was made for 

Edited by JimmyCant

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I was meaning more a speculative cross into the box hung up there for a striker to attack. There was nothing speculative about McKay’s assists although I suppose technically they were crosses, although the second one was more of a driven passnas opposed to a cross, it’s not the type of cross that Gnando was made for 

Can’t say it was a pass and not a cross Gnanduillet was made for? Speculative crosses aren’t great either, really needs to be on his head as he doesn’t move much towards a cross. 
He will be a good back up and occasional starter but will probably go in January or next summer having made a decent contribution, much more than Halliday for instance. 

14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Can’t say it was a pass and not a cross Gnanduillet was made for? Speculative crosses aren’t great either, really needs to be on his head as he doesn’t move much towards a cross. 
He will be a good back up and occasional starter but will probably go in January or next summer having made a decent contribution, much more than Halliday for instance. 

It’s all about improving the squad for me. Can we do better that Gnando, or Halliday for that matter ? Yes we can, then you have a problem of keeping 18 really good players happy and still trying to get academy kids coming through somehow. Better problem to have than looking at 30 plus guys on a training pitch and only seeing 5 who are good enough for the SPFL, like we did not so very long ago

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s all about improving the squad for me. Can we do better that Gnando, or Halliday for that matter ? Yes we can, then you have a problem of keeping 18 really good players happy and still trying to get academy kids coming through somehow. Better problem to have than looking at 30 plus guys on a training pitch and only seeing 5 who are good enough for the SPFL, like we did not so very long ago

That’s fair enough, but as you say it’s keeping everyone happy. We might have that problem with the wingers. It’s a good problem to have. If we are going to play they way we are I would like a quicker striker to go in behind at times. 

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s fair enough, but as you say it’s keeping everyone happy. We might have that problem with the wingers. It’s a good problem to have. If we are going to play they way we are I would like a quicker striker to go in behind at times. 

Indeed a wee guy with 3-6 yards of lightning pace and a finish would be ideal. Would need to be a gamble project though because all the dead certs of that type are out of our pocket. I really trust Jo to find one in time, maybe not this season but we’re just a few jigsaw pieces away from being pretty formidable IMO.

Edited by JimmyCant

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Indeed a wee guy with 3-6 yards of lightning pace and a finish would be ideal. Would need to be a gamble project though because all the dead certs of that type are out of our pocket. I really trust Jo to find one in time, maybe not this season but we’re just a few jigsaw pieces away from being pretty formidable IMO.

I think we will get one in on loan in January. 
In Savage we trust. 

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I think we will get one in on loan in January. 
In Savage we trust. 

We definitely will if we’re anywhere close to challenging still.

9 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

JC, I think Woodburn could provide this if played slightly further forward. He is slight but when your touch with your back to goal and your game awareness are so good, as his is, it doesn’t matter what size the defender is.

3 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

JC, I think Woodburn could provide this if played slightly further forward. He is slight but when your touch with your back to goal and your game awareness are so good, as his is, it doesn’t matter what size the defender is.

Yeh, when we first heard about him, the impression I got was that he would be more of a second striker. He could certainly do that job.

5 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Was fairly well known we were looking for another striker in the summer. With Henderson away, we needed another one plus Boyce and Gnando imo. So far so good with the injuries though.  

Given the way our strikers are playing more of the "false 9" role, I've started wondering if Walker might be an option there. He certainly has (or used to have) a nose for the goal and always like the middle of the park better than the wings.

No threat to Boyce but could do in a pinch I think.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

On Saturday I thought we played a little asymmetrically, with Woodburn tucking in narrowly but McKay playing more as a true winger and Smith cutting in underneath him. On the other side Cochrane stayed well wide of Woodburn.

Don't know if that was situational or if we'll keep doing that, but we clearly got plenty of danger from it.

12 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Given the way our strikers are playing more of the "false 9" role, I've started wondering if Walker might be an option there. He certainly has (or used to have) a nose for the goal and always like the middle of the park better than the wings.

No threat to Boyce but could do in a pinch I think.

On Saturday I thought we played a little asymmetrically, with Woodburn tucking in narrowly but McKay playing more as a true winger and Smith cutting in underneath him. On the other side Cochrane stayed well wide of Woodburn.

Don't know if that was situational or if we'll keep doing that, but we clearly got plenty of danger from it.

Smith was all over the park on Saturday. Probably his best game in a Hearts jersey and it went virtually unnoticed because other players were so good too.

Your right about McKay though. He was mostly and out and out winger on Saturday

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Do you mean the type of driven pass that Ginelly  sent in for Gnando to score from against Dundee United? He seemed to take that one OK!

4 minutes ago, Firefox said:

Do you mean the type of driven pass that Ginelly  sent in for Gnando to score from against Dundee United? He seemed to take that one OK!

No he never, it was a simple pass from Ginnelly but AG sclaffed it and was lucky to score as the keeper got a touch. 

4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Dud is a bit harsh, Sammon/Watt/Frear/Roberts/Kastaneer/Popescu and many others are duds. 

Read it again.....Dude....

2 hours ago, Firefox said:

No. What I mean is…… a big tall strong bloke would likely score more goals from crosses to his head. Christ it’s not that hard to get that is it ?

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I find it sad that so many Hearts fans annoy me so much with their impatience and knee jerk I’ll-thought out views and opinions - but of course they have the right to them.

I would prefer that Gnanduillet was judged after the amount of game time Boyce has been given and if he is ever given the luxury of consistency of selection.

Even without that curtesy he has shown himself to be more than adequate back up and support to the team in his appearances to date.

15 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

has he not scored from headers ?

Scored a couple when he came in yeah. But since the first couple of games he doesn’t seem to want to compete for the ball. Case in point Ross County away, bullied all day long there. 

12 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

New eyes for PoK, please.

14 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

No. What I mean is…… a big tall strong bloke would likely score more goals from crosses to his head. Christ it’s not that hard to get that is it ?

Settle petal, I got what you meant but there seems to be an assumption here that Gnando will only be useful for scoring with headers, whereas if you watch the YouTube videos of his time at Blackpool you will see that he scored as many from shots inside the box as he did from headers.   

Hackney Hearts
28 minutes ago, Firefox said:

Settle petal, I got what you meant but there seems to be an assumption here that Gnando will only be useful for scoring with headers, whereas if you watch the YouTube videos of his time at Blackpool you will see that he scored as many from shots inside the box as he did from headers.   

I know, it's weird. People just assume that because you're 6'4" your only option (or better skill) is scoring with your head. As a 6'4" dud(e) myself (and a No.9), it's frustrating.

I expect Gnando finds it frustrating as well, cos he's good with his feet.

14 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Scored a couple when he came in yeah. But since the first couple of games he doesn’t seem to want to compete for the ball. Case in point Ross County away, bullied all day long there. 

If Mckay and GMS had taken there simple chances we would be talking about Gnando winning headers and setup play.

3 hours ago, Firefox said:

Settle yourself petal. At no point did I say he can only score with his head. I said he’d likely score MORE if we were firing crosses aimed at his head.