Top Posters In This Topic

• bobskeldon

• BackOfTheNet

• GinRummy

• JimmyCant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

I am totally convinced…murder! Get rid of ASAP. For me, he is the only ‘mistake’ made by Joe Savage and/or Robbie Neilson.

Bollocks! He offered us a completely different option in the second half and give their big centre half an uncomfortable time! Another good signing.

Edited by Thomaso

33 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

There was **** all negative about yesterday. The whole team played well and the subs done fine when they came on. 

Exactly mate. 

A lot more to Liam Boyce than scoring goals. Good player and one I'm glad we've got. 

The new guys look very good, all of them. The team look so comfortable on the ball. 

Hackney Hearts
51 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Boyce is a striker who scores goals. Gnando isn’t. That’s the telling contribution here. Boyce might get 20 this season. Gnando will struggle to get 5. 

How do we know? From open play, Gnando has a better scoring ratio than Boyce. Take away the penalties (and a penalty rebound), then they've each scored 1 league goal. Boyce has played all of the first 6 games plus 63 minutes yesterday. In game time, Gnando has played less than 2 matches.

I'm not saying Gnando is better than Boyce, or that he should start, but if you're doing comparative stats you have to be fair about it.

1 hour ago, bobskeldon said:

I am totally convinced…murder! Get rid of ASAP. For me, he is the only ‘mistake’ made by Joe Savage and/or Robbie Neilson.

I'm totally convinced he isn't. He was instrumental in creating the 3rd goal with his nutmeg pass to Mckay 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Good post. However Boyce is a striker who scores goals. Gnando isn’t. That’s the telling contribution here. Boyce might get 20 this season. Gnando will struggle to get 5. My biggest gripe on Gnando is he doesn’t seem to be that interested in bonding with the team. Devlin and Beni get it and they’ve barely had time to have a shite in the building yet. Gnando doesn’t and in our squad it’s a big factor in what we’re achieving IMO

Not sure about the idea he hasn't bonded with his team mates. At half time he seemed to be having a laugh and a joke with the other subs in amongst the warm up. When he came on the rest of the players seemed almost too keen to give him the ball at times and let him have a shot. They seemed desperate to get him a goal. The that he blazed wildly into the stand was a good example of that.

The way we controlled possession towards the end of the game was impressive. But it did mean we weren't pinging crosses into the box for Gnandulliet to attack. I'm not sure our style suits him.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Call me old fashioned but I see a big mobile bloke that can:

- win headers and flick ons

- has a bit of pace

- has quite quick feet

- has a bit of awareness about him.

This is his first season in a top league and I think he has potential - I would love to have a finished product but this year we didn’t have the money to buy a finished product striker.

I understand that. Some don’t. Fair dues.

A good finish this season will open up the striker market for us massively for Europe next season give we are guaranteed some sort of group if we finish 3rd.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

5 minutes ago, kila said:

Did Gnando run down the tunnel? Didn’t look like that to me. 

That Bob guy really hates him huh!

I just don’t get the issue. Fair enough if the argument is Boyce plays before him. We need more than one striker though. He does well almost every time he comes on yet some folk just want to write him off as shite. What do folk want instead?

2 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Pretty sure it’s comments like this that led to Smith cupping his ears to the crowd after he scored that belter.

Smith is a top player and we’re lucky to have him. Remember, without him last week RN had to change the whole shape of the team and we didn’t look half as good as we did yesterday.

His finish yesterday was top drawer

His crossing is dire

Strikes and gutterballs 

I think bringing Gnando yesterday gave them a new threat and made us look far more offensive again after Livi he managed to stabilise a little after the half.

Like others have said we need more than one striker as players will get suspended/ injured and Gnando is a far better option than we’ve had in the last few years to fill that void.

1 hour ago, Hackney Hearts said:

How do we know? From open play, Gnando has a better scoring ratio than Boyce. Take away the penalties (and a penalty rebound), then they've each scored 1 league goal. Boyce has played all of the first 6 games plus 63 minutes yesterday. In game time, Gnando has played less than 2 matches.

I'm not saying Gnando is better than Boyce, or that he should start, but if you're doing comparative stats you have to be fair about it.

Good post. It’s not one or the other here, liking one doesn’t mean you have to slag the other off, but hey it’s the internet where people feel they have to hold extreme opinions for no apparent reason.

41 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Not sure about the idea he hasn't bonded with his team mates. At half time he seemed to be having a laugh and a joke with the other subs in amongst the warm up. When he came on the rest of the players seemed almost too keen to give him the ball at times and let him have a shot. They seemed desperate to get him a goal. The that he blazed wildly into the stand was a good example of that.

The way we controlled possession towards the end of the game was impressive. But it did mean we weren't pinging crosses into the box for Gnandulliet to attack. I'm not sure our style suits him.

There seems to be a real tangible desperate need for some to label the guy with an attitude problem. Was speaking to a mate of a mate after the game yesterday that was spouting the nonsense about him walking out. Had nothing to say when I pointed out he is still at the club and has clearly not walked out. It’s the same with the straight down the tunnel stuff, what if that’s just what he does? No actual evidence to say he’s got an attitude problem. The only real thing you could point to for him maybe not being happy is that he’s a striker not starting, which I would hope we all would be wanting him to feel that way. As otherwise he’d be labelled a wage thief. He can’t win for some. Asked someone on here after the County game (guess who from this thread) if he’d be happy if Gnanduillet had scored two rather than great saves, said they wouldn’t be happy as he’s a “donkey” apparently. Blind.

44 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Call me old fashioned but I see a big mobile bloke that can:

- win headers and flick ons

- has a bit of pace

- has quite quick feet

- has a bit of awareness about him.

This is his first season in a top league and I think he has potential - I would love to have a finished product but this year we didn’t have the money to buy a finished product striker.

I understand that. Some don’t. Fair dues.

A good finish this season will open up the striker market for us massively for Europe next season give we are guaranteed some sort of group if we finish 3rd.

Also makes angled runs that for some reason our players aren’t picking out a pass for (apart from right at the end when he was through on goal and the full time whistle blew). Look at his goals he scored at Blackpool, plenty where he made a run and ball played over the defence or a through ball to find him and one on one he scored. He’s more than capable and we’re not playing to his strengths, but as you point out he has plenty of attributes to offer more than enough.

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Boyce might get 20 this season. Gnando will struggle to get 5.

If we deduct penalties and just go for goals scored from open play/set pieces, would their stats really be that different in a world where they got equal game time?

It's a hypothetical I know but I do feel we're either not getting the work rate we should be out of Boyce (be that due to his form or the way we're playing by isolating him etc) or his somewhat padded stats from penalties is giving us rose tinted glasses.

This is the advantage of having a squad of players who can slot in and interchange  if things are not working in a game, I think we are building that kind of squad who can do this. 

3 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

You need to get a seat that faces the pitch. A friend of mine watching AG yesterday for the first time (and without any input from me) thought he was crap!

🤣

Hes a great option to come of the bench but its clear he won't play second fiddle to Boyce, had a tough task coming on yesterday with game pretty much done and dusted, was too eager to score and not supply which led to wasted chances but gave Livi defence a completely different proposition to contend with.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Hes a great option to come of the bench but its clear he won't play second fiddle to Boyce, had a tough task coming on yesterday with game pretty much done and dusted, was too eager to score and not supply which led to wasted chances but gave Livi defence a completely different proposition to contend with.

I guess the interesting question to ask is - if he was a starter and was on penalties would Gando or Boyce be top scorer this season? 

Big Gnando to me looks very frustrated at his lack of game-time. There were times yesterday where he was moving around and looking for a pass that never came. His only mistake yesterday was the attempt at goal when the easier option would've been to pass it out to Cochrane to keep the pressure on and get himself into a better position. His body didn't look set for that attempt at goal and looked like a bit of desperation to make a point. I've said for months that i couldn't work out what type of player Gnando is. He doesn't do anything particularly great in the same way as he doesn't do anything that bad either. For his height he is not an out-and-out centre-forward in the way Sandy Clark was in the past, he appears to be the type that can make something happen with a quick switch or tight pass so to get the benefit out of him he needs the ball played into feet more often. His height is a positive at corners and free kicks, defensively and offensively but that's not his natural game. He gives defenders something else to think about, something that they've maybe not had to worry about during a game.

Said it on other thread.  Very difficult to keep 20 potential starters happy especially when only playing Sat Sat. He’s second to Boyce. Boyce on target for 20 goals.  He has to stay in pole position. Can they both be accommodated?  

LarrysRightFoot
4 minutes ago, Ted (Theodore) Logan said:

If we can get service in to nando then he'll score goals. 

I think so as well. I think his time will come, injuries, suspensions, different ways to break teams down etc. 

Having said that I’d expect next summer at the latest we will be looking for 1 if not 2 strikers. 

26 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I guess the interesting question to ask is - if he was a starter and was on penalties would Gando or Boyce be top scorer this season? 

Not seen him take a pen but imagine he would be good at slotting them away. I think Boyce is a better team player, intelligent and bringing in other teammates to the attack, the con of that is he is typically quite deep and doesn't have the pace to bomb forward. 

Looking at our league position and Boyce stats over last 12months, Gnado can have no complaints with his game time so far.

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, Sid said:

Boyce on target for 20 goals.  He has to stay in pole position. 

As has been pointed out already, Boyce is only on target for 20 goals because he takes the penalties!

From open play Gnando and Boyce are one 1 goal each*. Boyce having had over three times as much game time.

*Not counting the penalty rebound (as the result of a badly taken penalty).

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, number-16 said:

As soon as he came on the whole team were able to move further up the pitch and we scored seconds after his first touch.

He's a really effective sub almost every time he comes on. He has a languid style and can look like he doesn't do that much but he has a very deft touch at times and definitely occupies defenders. Needs a goal as you can tell he's getting frustrated about not scoring , the worry is that that results in him taking shots when a pass is the better option but he is a striker so fair enough having a go when he can.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 hours ago, Jamdub said:

This is the advantage of having a squad of players who can slot in and interchange  if things are not working in a game, I think we are building that kind of squad who can do this. 

Spot on. The alternative is we flesh out the rest of the squad (including some of the bench) with second rate players who are never likely to be starters.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I just don’t get the issue. Fair enough if the argument is Boyce plays before him. We need more than one striker though. He does well almost every time he comes on yet some folk just want to write him off as shite. What do folk want instead?

They want more strength in depth but then they write off players not playing or say there getting unsettled. The obvious solution is to start with 17 players.

Gnando will do well this season. 

Having good wingers in form will help. 

Would also expect him to do well away from home against any team playing a high line. 

His highlights real is 3 goals on repeat:

A run with the ball from deep in a counter. 
Running on to a cut back. 
Arriving in the box late to head in a hung up cross. 

If teams sit in against us, Boyce is the best option. Especially on our wee tight pitch. 

Great to have Gnando as an option for other types of game. 

Edited by CMc

The big man’s ball control is poor and when he’s around the penalty box he looks as though he’s too eager to score. He is definitely needing some help in putting his game together and Big Jig is his best bet because he could be a real handful as well as an asset.

8 hours ago, Halliphax said:

If we deduct penalties and just go for goals scored from open play/set pieces, would their stats really be that different in a world where they got equal game time?

It's a hypothetical I know but I do feel we're either not getting the work rate we should be out of Boyce (be that due to his form or the way we're playing by isolating him etc) or his somewhat padded stats from penalties is giving us rose tinted glasses.

Did we take penalties out when we counted robbos goals?

This is ridiculous, we've all been moaning about needing a 20 goals a season striker for decades. We've now got one that's scored 9 before October and people still moan.

Boyce is doing just great

On 18/09/2021 at 08:56, 1971fozzy said:

I really think it’s as simple as we are playing so well , undefeated and therefore dropping anyone is not fair and unwise.  Dropping a fit Boyce is ridiculous in my opinion. Can you imagine the furore if he drops him and we get beaten. This place in particular ?  Resting him is different.  Loads of time and opportunities for the likes of Gnando to get game time then stake a claim to stay in the team by playing well

To be fair... Haring was dropped for no reason and no fault of his own against 2 "weaker" teams in Ross County and Livingston and Devlin came in for his debut and did very well anyway. 

Could be that Robbie decides to give Boyce a game off (despite his good form) against another weak team like Dundee and Gnando thrives in his place and capitaliseson the opportunity, just like Devlin did yesterday.

9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

This is ridiculous, we've all been moaning about needing a 20 goals a season striker for decades. We've now got one that's scored 9 before October and people still moan.

Yeah I’ve been noticing this a lot recently as well, even saw somebody say that Boyce isn’t a goal scorer :lol:

Liam Boyce is well on course to be our highest goal scorer in a single season since the early 90s, if he fancies dropping deep and helping the team out on the way to doing so then even better

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, PhoenixHearts said:

To be fair... Haring was dropped for no reason and no fault of his own against 2 "weaker" teams in Ross County and Livingston and Devlin came in for his debut and did very well anyway. 

Could be that Robbie decides to give Boyce a game off (despite his good form) against another weak team like Dundee and Gnando thrives in his place and capitaliseson the opportunity, just like Devlin did yesterday.

Not sure about no reason. I think we playing around with options alongside Beni. Haring and Devlin offer different things for different games as we've now seen.

52 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I’m not moaning I’m just trying to be objective, a lot of folk say Boyce is better than Gnando but how could we know given the game time difference between the two of them. 

2 minutes ago, Halliphax said:

I’m not moaning I’m just trying to be objective, a lot of folk say Boyce is better than Gnando but how could we know given the game time difference between the two of them. 

Fair enough but there are plenty who are moaning about him.

He's scored 27 goals in 51 games for us, Boyce has more than earned the right to be first choice striker.

1 hour ago, PhoenixHearts said:

Devlin was superb

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

great post.  Robbo scored many penalties as we all know.  For some reason some don’t like to count them (or cup goals).

A goal is a goal

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Fair enough but there are plenty who are moaning about him.

He's scored 27 goals in 51 games for us, Boyce has more than earned the right to be first choice striker.

I will admit I’ve been critical of him in the heat of the moment on some match threads on here but this particular time I’m not 😁

If he puts away some more like his first against Ross County I’d be a very happy Jambo! 

Fozzyonthefence
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Maybe we don’t need a good scoring striker but just someone that can score 20 penalties in a season.  Both us and Hibs seem to be on course for this at the moment but I’m sure they’ll dry up.,

2 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

I really like him in a two up beside boyce, Fantastic option to have on the bench and change games for us.

Yep. For me, Gnando would fit into a 4-4-2 system (or a 3-5-2) quite comfortably. Unfortunately for him, Neilson is going with a 3-4-3 at this moment in time so it's quite difficult to fit Gnando into that system. If Neilson eventually goes back to a back four, (he'll need to sort out a naturally left-sided central defender first to do that) then you'll find the big man playing in a more natural striking role with link-ups and intricate one-two's with his team-mates. He does look frustrated when he's playing and a couple of goals out of nothing would do him the world of good. I'd still fancy him for a few goals throughout the season but a 20 goal striker he isn't, particularly in the system we're going with at the moment.

HeartsandonlyHearts

Anyone with an ounce of football savvy can tell he’s a good signing. Obviously not the greatest but well worth being a squad member. Nothing wrong with him getting upset over not starting. You want players to be mad and keen to play every week. He’s done well for us since he signed. I like him.

I also think he’ll score more than 5 goals for us.

He’s shite.   People trying to make up reasons why he’s good man.  He’s never a top level footballer in his puff.  More chance of Finn Balor winning in the wrestling than him being decent, ever.  

we need a top quality young player to deputise for Boycey than the laddie.  He will score against Yeovil next season etc but we are going on about splitting old firm and saying he’s good?  The boy Kane at St Johnstone is better even then we really are crying out for a nippy wee striker.

7 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Anyone with an ounce of football savvy can tell he’s a good signing. Obviously not the greatest but well worth being a squad member. Nothing wrong with him getting upset over not starting. You want players to be mad and keen to play every week. He’s done well for us since he signed. I like him.

I also think he’ll score more than 5 goals for us.

People said the same with every single striker we’ve signed since Sow.