Gnanduillet

NB GIN

5 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Anyone with an ounce of football savvy can tell he’s a good signing. Obviously not the greatest but well worth being a squad member. Nothing wrong with him getting upset over not starting. You want players to be mad and keen to play every week. He’s done well for us since he signed. I like him.

I also think he’ll score more than 5 goals for us.

What exactly does “obviously not the greatest” mean?

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bobskeldon

• BackOfTheNet

• GinRummy

• JimmyCant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He’s shite.   People trying to make up reasons why he’s good man.  He’s never a top level footballer in his puff.  More chance of Finn Balor winning in the wrestling than him being decent, ever.  

we need a top quality young player to deputise for Boycey than the laddie.  He will score against Yeovil next season etc but we are going on about splitting old firm and saying he’s good?  The boy Kane at St Johnstone is better even then we really are crying out for a nippy wee striker.

thank god your not in charge of recruitment 

7 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He’s shite.   People trying to make up reasons why he’s good man.  He’s never a top level footballer in his puff.  More chance of Finn Balor winning in the wrestling than him being decent, ever.  

we need a top quality young player to deputise for Boycey than the laddie.  He will score against Yeovil next season etc but we are going on about splitting old firm and saying he’s good?  The boy Kane at St Johnstone is better even then we really are crying out for a nippy wee striker.

You think we are going to sign the likes of Kane from one of our rivals for a European place without serious hard cash?

I like him in all honesty. Like the other poster said nothing wrong with him getting mad and when he isnt playing. Would rather this than him being happy with being in the stand 

It doesn’t mean he is going to be here for ever and we are probably still on the loom out for another striker but I reckon if he can get a run of games he will do well for us 

Give him a chance ffs 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
8 hours ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Maybe we don’t need a good scoring striker but just someone that can score 20 penalties in a season.  Both us and Hibs seem to be on course for this at the moment but I’m sure they’ll dry up.,

To be fair it wasn’t so long ago we were only scoring about 50% of pens.

The good thing for us now is we have people with decent technical ability getting into the box so I am fairly confident we will continue to get pens.

#jinx

On 26/09/2021 at 12:48, Halliphax said:

If we deduct penalties and just go for goals scored from open play/set pieces, would their stats really be that different in a world where they got equal game time?

It's a hypothetical I know but I do feel we're either not getting the work rate we should be out of Boyce (be that due to his form or the way we're playing by isolating him etc) or his somewhat padded stats from penalties is giving us rose tinted glasses.

We are most definitely getting ‘work rate’ out of Boyce. However we play him as a ‘false 9’ a lot of the time, rather than an orthodox penalty box striker. If Gnando plays the system needs altered and frankly we don’t always reset to play to his strengths which would be crosses of course so we’ve left Gnando trying to play the same role as Boyce which isn’t going to work. You can see why Gnando might be frustrated and we’ll probably never know if he is the real deal because of the way we’re playing and our preferred set up. My gut says he isn’t good enough to score goals at this level but maybe we’re not giving him a real chance by not setting up the way that would probably suit him better. I also thinks he lacks a bit of heart and effort. He could dig in a bit harder and give a bit more when he gets the chance if you ask me but that’s just my opinion.

I thought gnando did well when he came on on Saturday, whereas I didn't think Boyce contributed much other than his goal. Gnando definitely a good option off the bench to either replace Boyce, or bring on alongside Boyce if we're chasing a goal. However, Boyce by far the better finisher and can get goals out of nothing, which we've seen already this season. 

On 26/09/2021 at 10:32, bobskeldon said:

Who else did we hear exactly the same about e.g. he isn’t treated fairly by refs etc He was dreadful too!

Who we talking about. 

Isma, Uche ? 🤔 

FWIW  I like the boy he's not had a lot of game time but when he's got on he's affected the game. 

31 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Who we talking about. 

Isma, Uche ? 🤔 

FWIW  I like the boy he's not had a lot of game time but when he's got on he's affected the game. 

Worth a new contract in the Summer? Straight yes or no would suffice.

Just now, bobskeldon said:
35 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I thought gnando did well when he came on on Saturday, whereas I didn't think Boyce contributed much other than his goal. Gnando definitely a good option off the bench to either replace Boyce, or bring on alongside Boyce if we're chasing a goal. However, Boyce by far the better finisher and can get goals out of nothing, which we've seen already this season. 

New contract in the Summer? Straight yes or no would suffice.

1 hour ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Exactly what it says. 

Is that “not the greatest” but worth a new contract OR “not the greatest” not worth a new contract? If you think that JS and RN will offer him an extended deal, you are delusional!

The Apprentice

In fairness to Robbie and the coaching staff, Gnanduillet did nowhere near enough against Ross County last week to merit a start against Livi, especially with his general play. Didn't hold the ball up or compete well enough with the County centre-backs but in saying that the keeper made a couple of good saves from him. If they go in its likely a different story.

Happy enough with him as an option for us but Boyce is clearly the main man for now.

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

You think we are going to sign the likes of Kane from one of our rivals for a European place without serious hard cash?

Not now that I've just noticed he signed a new deal in the summer.  Sadly.

5 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

I would, yes, but would depend on how much he wants and if there were other options available that Savage and Robbie felt suited us better.

12 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

I would, yes, but would depend on how much he wants and if there were other options available that Savage and Robbie felt suited us better.

His own body language suggests he’ll be off in the summer unless he has an upturn in game time. He’s only getting that if he grabs a chance he gets and scores a couple. This running down the tunnel as soon as the whistle goes gets on my tits.

Edited by JimmyCant

7 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

He's not really getting a chance, long may it continue.

Nothing against the guy but if we’re doing okay and continue to do okay with what we have (a first pick 11 is emerging here) you can’t see a place for him. You don’t fix it if it’s not broken.

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Nothing against the guy but if we’re doing okay and continue to do okay with what we have (a first pick 11 is emerging here) you can’t see a place for him. You don’t fix it if it’s not broken.

And that's exactly how it should be, he'll get another chance and if he fails to take it, he'll be away.

It's up him to get his head right and pounce on the opportunity when it comes.

Ex member of the SaS
7 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

To be fair it wasn’t so long ago we were only scoring about 50% of pens.

The good thing for us now is we have people with decent technical ability getting into the box so I am fairly confident we will continue to get pens.

#jinx

Celtic always claimed they got more penalties due to having better and more players in the box. Often Boyce is the only player in the box with three or more defenders round him. When attacking we need more in there and then the chances of a foul in the box increases.

On 26/09/2021 at 11:56, GinRummy said:

I just don’t get the issue. Fair enough if the argument is Boyce plays before him. We need more than one striker though. He does well almost every time he comes on yet some folk just want to write him off as shite. What do folk want instead?

well, what some folk want is a 20 goal a season striker starting every game, with another 20 goal a season striker on the bench having to score the same number of goals in just a quarter of the game time.

which - if this did happen - would mean we're starting with the wrong striker on the pitch!

we're fine with Gnando on the bench - he was involved in our third goal on Saturday and was more of a handful for their big CB - won some fouls against IIRC.

8 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

well, what some folk want is a 20 goal a season striker starting every game, with another 20 goal a season striker on the bench having to score the same number of goals in just a quarter of the game time.

which - if this did happen - would mean we're starting with the wrong striker on the pitch!

we're fine with Gnando on the bench - he was involved in our third goal on Saturday and was more of a handful for their big CB - won some fouls against IIRC.

I think he’s looked decent in most of the games he’s played in. Wasn’t great against Ross County but not terrible. Scored against Dundee United and done well on Saturday. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
40 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Celtic always claimed they got more penalties due to having better and more players in the box. Often Boyce is the only player in the box with three or more defenders round him. When attacking we need more in there and then the chances of a foul in the box increases.

Like at the weekend?

HeartsandonlyHearts
2 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

Is that “not the greatest” but worth a new contract OR “not the greatest” not worth a new contract? If you think that JS and RN will offer him an extended deal, you are delusional!

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

14 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Complete lump of wood. 

Worst signing in a long time

He wasn't even the worst signing we made that month ffs :lol:

Really don't know why he gets so scrutinised for his brief cameos here and there

49 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Any chance you could ‘update’ me on whether you would offer AG a new contract? 

3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Just like Saturday then…..

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I think he’s looked decent in most of the games he’s played in. Wasn’t great against Ross County but not terrible. Scored against Dundee United and done well on Saturday. 

An outbreak of reality.

Anyone slating Gnanduillet after Saturday on this thread, go find the video of the third goal from Saturday.

It's his hold-up play, movement, and clever touch into space that pulls the defence off balance, sets up McKay for the cross, and leaves Cochrane alone at the back post.

There's a lot of football that's in the eye of the beholder but he f---ing created the chance that led to the goal and it's there for anyone with eyes to see on easy-to-find video.

HeartsandonlyHearts
3 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

Any chance you could ‘update’ me on whether you would offer AG a new contract? 

Not my job. I think he’s been a decent signing for what he’s been asked to do. Not sure where you’re going with this back and forth with me. I never mentioned signing him to an extension or not signing him to an extension. You brought it up.

1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

Anyone slating Gnanduillet after Saturday on this thread, go find the video of the third goal from Saturday.

It's his hold-up play, movement, and clever touch into space that pulls the defence off balance, sets up McKay for the cross, and leaves Cochrane alone at the back post.

There's a lot of football that's in the eye of the beholder but he f---ing created the chance that led to the goal and it's there for anyone with eyes to see on easy-to-find video.

Not for the first time either. 

Dont know why people go out of their way to pick a target for criticism. 

Gnando is part of a squad and is playing his part. 

He'll get the chance to play a bigger part in the course of the season. 

11 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Not my job. I think he’s been a decent signing for what he’s been asked to do. Not sure where you’re going with this back and forth with me. I never mentioned signing him to an extension or not signing him to an extension. You brought it up.

I would. We spoilt what could have been a good season when we let Lafferty go. 

portobellojambo1
9 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

We are most definitely getting ‘work rate’ out of Boyce. However we play him as a ‘false 9’ a lot of the time, rather than an orthodox penalty box striker. If Gnando plays the system needs altered and frankly we don’t always reset to play to his strengths which would be crosses of course so we’ve left Gnando trying to play the same role as Boyce which isn’t going to work. You can see why Gnando might be frustrated and we’ll probably never know if he is the real deal because of the way we’re playing and our preferred set up. My gut says he isn’t good enough to score goals at this level but maybe we’re not giving him a real chance by not setting up the way that would probably suit him better. I also thinks he lacks a bit of heart and effort. He could dig in a bit harder and give a bit more when he gets the chance if you ask me but that’s just my opinion.

I agree with you. I think you can tell why he has been playing in the English lower leagues, that is his level. To me he isn't the person to hold down the number 9 spot. But I do think Boyce needs another man up beside him to increase the number of options in the box, to keep defenders busy and in the same token create more scoring opportunities.

In addition I don't think we will change the delvery types into the box, we seem to look to keep it on the ground. And despite all he, Gnanduillet, said prior to the game last season versus Brora, i.e. that to get the best out of him delivery had to be in the air, he rarely wins the ball in the air for such a tall player. It might be a position that Woodburn could fill, i.e. play up near Boyce, as both are better when delivery is on the ground. Players playing at other clubs we could look at, I'm not honestly sure or not even sure if a potential option is already under the radar of Joe Savage. But to me if we are to score goals more regularly Boyce needs to be in or around the box at all times, not dropping back to win headers when Craig clears the ball long or if it is played in short from midfield. Inevitably when that happens there is no one further forward to play the ball onto.

But it is all down to opinion, when Tynecastle is full there will be multiple different takes on what everyone sees.

Edited by portobellojambo1

16 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

I would. We spoilt what could have been a good season when we let Lafferty go. 

I would too. Hearts have struggled for years to have a competent striker corps. Gnando likes it at Hearts well enough that he's telling his former teammates to come to Edinburgh, hasn't complained at all about his reduced role, and has improved us several times when he's come on as a sub. I'm sure he can see Boyce's strike rate and understand why he's currently not getting a start.

Give him the extension.

He‘s been shite practically the whole time tbh. It can be tough coming off the bench to be fair to him and he was ok when he came on at the weekend, as he was involved in the 3rd goal. 

But matches likes Ross County where he started, he has to be doing better. Contrast him to Jordan White that day. He jumped and competed for everything. Nando seems another Lafferty type, tall but for some reason rarely jumps for headers. 

7 hours ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Thanks for informing me that you are not JS or RN. The thing is there are lots of people on here who seem to think that like you, he has been a good signing. I totally disagree therefore I want him gone ASAP! I am genuinely interested to find out whether these people, who think he has been a ‘good signing’ and as such think he should have been signed on a longer contract and/or (given the qualities some think he brings to the team) an extension beyond next Summer? It’s not a trick question but one it  would appear you and others are reluctant to answer! If he gets an extension and becomes a first pick, can’t be left out player  (like Boyce), I am sure you and others will lambast me on here, rightly so. Not sure why you are hesitant/reluctant to state that your ‘good signing’ should be given an extension?

7 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

He‘s been shite practically the whole time tbh. It can be tough coming off the bench to be fair to him and he was ok when he came on at the weekend, as he was involved in the 3rd goal. 

But matches likes Ross County where he started, he has to be doing better. Contrast him to Jordan White that day. He jumped and competed for everything. Nando seems another Lafferty type, tall but for some reason rarely jumps for headers. 

But he makes ‘good runs’, he ‘creates space for others’, his ‘hold up play’ is good’, he gives defenders a different problem’, too many folk watching and listening to MOTD pundits. He is murder!

7 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

has he not scored from headers ?

8 hours ago, luckydug said:

Not for the first time either. 

Dont know why people go out of their way to pick a target for criticism. 

Gnando is part of a squad and is playing his part. 

He'll get the chance to play a bigger part in the course of the season. 

i genuinely believe some folk just have to have someone to dislike / complain about. No idea why but it just seems to be in some folks make up.  
Look at the Neilson thread, Halliday, Boyce.  Further back Isma, even Patterson ffs.

Same on every clubs forums though. I really hope players realise the tiny minority it is, that’s if they even bother about toxic media

Edited by 1971fozzy

2 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

i genuinely believe some folk just have to have someone to dislike / complain about. No idea why but it just seems to be in some folks make up.  
Look at the Neilson thread, Halliday, Boyce.  Further back Isma, even Patterson ffs.

Same on every clubs forums though. I really hope players realise the tiny minority it is, that’s if they even bother about toxic media

Are you implying that supporters should at all times be positive and not be critical or have views on who they like as a player or don’t like? I am 66 and both my granda and my Dad watched Hearts and spent their lives liking and disliking certain players, it’s what supporters do. 

3 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

Are you implying that supporters should at all times be positive and not be critical or have views on who they like as a player or don’t like? I am 66 and both my granda and my Dad watched Hearts and spent their lives liking and disliking certain players, it’s what supporters do. 

I understand opinions etc but we are joint second in the league, unbeaten , scoring goals, have a fantastic squad yet it seems not enough. If folk can’t be positive right now then they never will be. We are 6 games in. Gnando has largely played a sub role and scored, assisted yet you (in your words)  want him out ASAP and say he’s murder 🤣 

Really ?
the likes of Salmon , Stockton, Frear etc is understandable after giving them a chance but seriously ?
God knows how you felt when we had Cathro or Levein at the helm.  

58 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I understand opinions etc but we are joint second in the league, unbeaten , scoring goals, have a fantastic squad yet it seems not enough. If folk can’t be positive right now then they never will be. We are 6 games in. Gnando has largely played a sub role and scored, assisted yet you (in your words)  want him out ASAP and say he’s murder 🤣 

Really ?
the likes of Salmon , Stockton, Frear etc is understandable after giving them a chance but seriously ?

I am really positive about what is happening at the club after 5/6 years of gross mismanagement and neglect in football terms. I think this squad is as good as we have had since 2005/06 However, the squad has been built around a certain style of play and ‘playing for seconds’ isn’t that style.  It is clear that AG was brought in just in case we needed during a game to start ‘playing for seconds’ and you can see it when he is on the pitch when CBs look up and see a 6’6” target, they are more likely to try and hit that target. I think he will be away in January and a different type of striker will come in and he won’t be an AG type central striker!

Edited by bobskeldon

56 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Really ?

It’s just vocabulary mate that’s all. No one hates the guy or even dislikes him. I question his attitude and I think he’d be a better player if he had the attitude of a Boyce or a Devlin. I also think we’ve improved the squad so much in one window that he’s now out of his depth here. If you have a player in the first team squad that isn’t good enough, he goes, and you get someone else. Its as simple as that. It’s what squad development is all about, you identify areas you are weak in and you improve them. Personally I think we should have signed another striker in the summer, one that fitted in to our style of play a bit more. We don’t play long ball. We don’t hang crosses up for a big man. 

34 minutes ago, bobskeldon said:

I am really positive about what is happening at the club after 5/6 years of gross mismanagement and neglect in football terms. I think this squad is as good as we have had since 2005/06 However, the squad has been built around a certain style of play and ‘playing for seconds’ isn’t that style.  It is clear that AG was brought in just in case we needed during a game to start ‘playing for seconds’ and you can see it when he is on the pitch when CBs look up and see a 6’6” target, they are more likely to try and hit that target. I think he will be away in January and a different type of striker will come in and he won’t be an AG type central striker!

26 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s just vocabulary mate that’s all. No one hates the guy or even dislikes him. I question his attitude and I think he’d be a better player if he had the attitude of a Boyce or a Devlin. I also think we’ve improved the squad so much in one window that he’s now out of his depth here. If you have a player in the first team squad that isn’t good enough, he goes, and you get someone else. Its as simple as that. It’s what squad development is all about, you identify areas you are weak in and you improve them. Personally I think we should have signed another striker in the summer, one that fitted in to our style of play a bit more. We don’t play long ball. We don’t hang crosses up for a big man. 

👍🇱🇻

40 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

👍JC I don’t know AG so neither hate him or love him BUT he isn’t good enough, he was a mistake in signing terms and he will be gone sooner rather than later and a better player who suits playing in to feet will arrive.