Kid's first match

Jambo On Fire

Evening folks, looking for some advice please. I'm thinking about taking my son to his first match some time soon (thinking the home game against Livingston later this month) and wondered if there's such a thing as a family section? If not, any advice with regards to decent sections to book tickets for and any family-type activity that goes on within the stadium on match-days?

Thanks in advance.

Candyland for some sweets to keep him happy.

Club shop for a bit of memorabilia
Seat midway up in the Gorgie or Roseburn stand (quick access to toilet is always handy with a kid) as they are cheapest and good view. 

enjoy. 

hopefully the start of many happy memories at games with the lad! 😃 

I’m sure the Gorgie was always the family section but I started of taking my daughter to the Roseburn. The seats are often filled against small teams with people that go to many games or neutrals. It made for a friendly atmosphere (no party songs). So long as the opposition are quite tame with no real history with us then I always found it was a good stand to introduce her to games. Also short wait to get a hot dog which was the highlight of the occasion for her when she was just starting. I didn’t take to any off the pre-game activities for kids but heard they were good fun from mates who did. I’m glad your thinking it about doing this - some of our happiest memories together are from our days at Tynecastle. Livi is a good choice for first game 👍

Not got a kid yet (few months to go) but seen these tips posted previously.

Definitely suggest Roseburn or Gorgie stand. If you sit right at the front of the Gorgie on the right hand side the players will warm up in front of you so that can bring them into the game a bit, as well as the corners. I have seen the subs happy to 'high-five' kids whilst they warm up, but that may change due to covid.

I suggest making a day of it. Getting kitted up together in the morning and walking through Gorgie. Buying them a scarf and a programme. Someone else suggested Candy land.

Not sure how old they are so stack up with snacks and maybe a tablet incase they get bored half way through.

Have a great day.

Thanks for the advice guys, some great suggestions and I'll be sure to make a day of it. He's 4 so his concentration doesn't last long. Will take the tablet along as a last resort.

54 minutes ago, Jambo On Fire said:

Thanks for the advice guys, some great suggestions and I'll be sure to make a day of it. He's 4 so his concentration doesn't last long. Will take the tablet along as a last resort.

See if I’m honest, I wouldn’t take him to the Livi match. They get bored really easily at that age. I’d try abs take him to a game with a better atmosphere. 

been here before

First game I took my oldest to was the pre-season game v Everton a few years ago. He'd have been 4 or 5.

Thought Id ticked all the boxes: loads of folk, dont worry, tablet for if he got bored, sweeties, juice, phone number in his pocket and who to tell if he got lost. Nae bother, went like a dream.

Then Hearts score and he shits himself at the sudden roar. Took about 15 minutes to calm him :lol:

Templeton Peck

Bag full of sweets, capri sun as bottles not allowed and a toy to keep them occupied.

I played a game with my kids that they only got a sweet when the ball went out of play otherwise they would all be gone by kick off. And it meant the focused on the ball. 

Wee mans first Derby tomorrow! 

Tbh I took him from a very young age, my advice is get there last minute, take the tablet and get them a hot dog before you sit down. Be ready to leave early and I'd pick a noisier game myself. Roseburn is good for kids imo. 

Aberdeen was my (almost) 6 year old first game, got him his seat right next to mine in the main stand, right on the middle of the row

Wre maneeded a pee 3 times in the first half 😂😂

Probably too late to move now 😂

My Son's first match was the Dundee Utd away a couple weeks ago. Wanted it to be Tynie but my daughter plays football Saturdays and could never get a home.game to suit.

He absolutely loved it but yes, stock up on snacks etc. 

I took him through to the club shop on the Friday so he could get a scarf and a new top. 

Edited by Homme

Yeah would recommend taking a tablet with you if you want to make it thru the whole game. I always found the snacks being done on the first half. Toilet break are an essential so try to pre empt like going before game starts or at a quiet time in match

Edited by Newton51

Broxburn Jambo
12 hours ago, Templeton Peck said:

Bag full of sweets, capri sun as bottles not allowed and a toy to keep them occupied.

I played a game with my kids that they only got a sweet when the ball went out of play otherwise they would all be gone by kick off. And it meant the focused on the ball. 

That is awesome thinking

Broxburn Jambo

I waited till my daughter was 9, but her first game was JCs debut against Celtic in 85, she loved it then and still loves ot now.

Incidently that was in the old enclosure

2 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Yeah would recommend taking a tablet with you if you want to make it thru the whole game. I always found the snacks being done on the first half. Toilet break are an essential so try to pre empt like going before game starts or at a quiet time in match

My son lasted 70 mins before I gave him my phone. I was astounded he lasted so long but he did great. When we scored near the end he watched the final 5 mins too so all in all really successful. And he wants to go back which is even better.