First Derby

martoon

2 hours ago, dannymack said:

250726206.jpg

Nice pic👍🏻  I remember them going into a very early 2-0 lead and the goal above always sticks in my memory as we staged a comeback. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• dannymack

• Auldbenches

• John Findlay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, tedarmy said:

1977. the scum won.

it was the postponed new years day game (had to check london hearts)

I was drinking in the St Vincent the night before the postponed game - Hogmanay, obviously. Half the Hearts first team came in, pished. They were good humoured but you wouldn’t have fancied their chances in a game the next day. Maybe they already had insider knowledge that the pitch was frozen and the match would be off. You’d like to hope so.

But only four years on from the worst derby defeat in our history and stories of players throwing up in the tunnel, it wasn’t a good look at all. Symptomatic of the utter shambles the club had become by the mid-1970s. There was nobody left who really gave a ****.

Mine was the 2-1 win at ER in 2002 when Pressley scored the penalty late on. Think there was still a lot of fans boycotting the ground at that time as I recall my Dad getting tickets pretty easily. He hadn't been at a game in years, and I'd only been to 2 games with my Mum who wasn't even a Jambo, so big game for my Dad, but a winning derby was just the icing on the cake.

Saturday tea time kick off on a lovely day in March. Ended up getting in late and just sat down to see Gary Jos put them in front. Vaguely recall the equaliser, but it was the winner which blew my mind. Even the celebrations just for getting a penalty wowed me. :lol: First game I was at with any real atmosphere, and I was amazed. Went to a birthday sleepover that night, and just wasn't interested in playing with my pals. 8 year old me was still just processing it all and practising all the songs I'd heard that night.

Always identified as a Jambo before that day, but that was the day it became an obsession. 

15 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Changing ends could be a bit fiesty under the covered terracing. 

I watched safely from the enclosure but you could see a gap appear then a few fans having a pagger. 

Don't recall anything major.

Was it about that time the fans stopped changing ends?  The segregation went up a handful of year later and I can't remember it happening. 

I mind being in the old shed but not fans changing ends.  

I can remember being at a st Mirren game and going behind the goals in the gorgie after half time standing next to their fans but nothing in the big games.  

23 hours ago, 1953 said:

The first one I remember would be new years day 64/65 ish at Easter Road. I got a stand ticket in my Christmas stocking and went with my dad, brother and uncle. Hibs went 2 goals up early on and I remember my uncle saying that if we get one before half time we could go on and win it. We pulled one back before halftime then scored 2 in the second half to win 3-2. Boom boom!

That was my first one ,Willie Wallace scored 2 of the that day , 

54 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

My first derby was on the 8 Sept 1973, we won 4-1.

Just realised that was 48 years ago, fecks sake.

youngster

I was only 8 so my memories are a bit vague. My recollection is that we did not play particularly well in this match and looked to be heading for a defeat. That is until wee Robbo very skilfully used a Hibs defender to swerve this shot beautifully past Alan Rough and into the bottom corner. 😁

2 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Was it about that time the fans stopped changing ends?  The segregation went up a handful of year later and I can't remember it happening. 

I mind being in the old shed but not fans changing ends.  

I can remember being at a st Mirren game and going behind the goals in the gorgie after half time standing next to their fans but nothing in the big games.  

It went up after that Derby in 78, along with the perimeter fencing.

6 hours ago, dannymack said:

You sure it wasn't Chelsea ? 

Both clubs fans seemed to be blamed for anything and everything back in the day, I know a few Millwall fans, been a few times, they're not arseholes although like every club,  including Hearts they do have arseholes in their support but on this occasion relating to your point I cannot remember blue flags in the home end at Easter Rd.

Highly unlikely Millwall after 900 his ccs took liberties on a near empty Old Kent Road. 

I remember a few folk beside me saying it was Millwall that was in their end. I wasn’t into the casual scene at the time so I don’t know if it was or not 

that said, I do remember there were a group trying to charge at the very bottom of the enclosure and terrace right where the 2 corners joined. There were Hibs but I saw the blue flags dotted around in a small section 

100% this was at Easter Road and it did happen. I’ll never forget the boy with the crutch and waving the tammy - they went absolutely bay shit and started charging - it definitely happened but just can’t remember the game that it happened in.

It could have been another club - did the CCS not have ties with Oldham at one stage ? Like I said, I wasn’t into the casual scene back then 

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

It went up after that Derby in 78, along with the perimeter fencing.

Thats why I can't remember them changing ends.   I thought the segregation went up before the perimeter fence bit not that early.   Thought the perimeter went up after the trouble down south in the early 80's.  

Just now, Auldbenches said:

Thats why I can't remember them changing ends.   I thought the segregation went up before the perimeter fence bit not that early.   Thought the perimeter went up after the trouble down south in the early 80's.  

The perimeter went up because of the guy that got on the pitch and made for the referee.

1 minute ago, Hearts1975 said:

I remember a few folk beside me saying it was Millwall that was in their end. I wasn’t into the casual scene at the time so I don’t know if it was or not 

that said, I do remember there were a group trying to charge at the very bottom of the enclosure and terrace right where the 2 corners joined. There were Hibs but I saw the blue flags dotted around in a small section 

100% this was at Easter Road and it did happen. I’ll never forget the boy with the crutch and waving the tammy - they went absolutely bay shit and started charging - it definitely happened but just can’t remember the game that it happened in.

It could have been another club - did the CCS not have ties with Oldham at one stage ? Like I said, I wasn’t into the casual scene back then 

Hibs casuals claimed to have had links to everyone.  A bit like their 'the night they took millwall' myth when they stormed a pub domino league match.   

4 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Hibs casuals claimed to have had links to everyone.  A bit like their 'the night they took millwall' myth when they stormed a pub domino league match.   

I read a bit about the so called casual scene in later years but back then and at the time I was ignorant about it to say the least 

I’ll need to try and find out what game that was as it’s literally doing my head in 

but there were blue scarves dotted amongst the away support. The charges happened most of the 2nd half but the ones that were charging couldn’t get through - I don’t know if the ones with the blue flags snuck it was pre arranged. No idea. 

If they had got into our end they would have more than likely got their heads kicked right in as our support wasn’t giving an inch that day 

I thought at a few points a riot would have broke out that day. Tastiest derby at ER I can ever ever  remember but I just can’t place the exact date and match 

I read a bit about the so called casual scene in later years but back then and at the time I was ignorant about it to say the least 

I’ll need to try and find out what game that was as it’s literally doing my head in 

but there were blue scarves dotted amongst the away support. The charges happened most of the 2nd half but the ones that were charging couldn’t get through - I don’t know if the ones with the blue flags snuck it was pre arranged. No idea. 

If they had got into our end they would have more than likely got their heads kicked right in as our support wasn’t giving an inch that day 

I thought at a few points a riot would have broke out that day. Tastiest derby at ER I can ever ever  remember but I just can’t place the exact date and match 

Has to be early to mid 90s.  I can't remember seeing that incident so not sure which game.  I remember them boasting about millwall and then hearing they stormed a pub on a Monday night with just old guys in it.   

2 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Has to be early to mid 90s.  I can't remember seeing that incident so not sure which game.  I remember them boasting about millwall and then hearing they stormed a pub on a Monday night with just old guys in it.   

Had to be around then timeline wise as it was the old terracing and enclosure back then. We must have had well over 3000 with us that day. 
Been to some poisonous derby’s over the years but that one stands out by a country mile 

6 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

Had to be around then timeline wise as it was the old terracing and enclosure back then. We must have had well over 3000 with us that day. 
Been to some poisonous derby’s over the years but that one stands out by a country mile 

I hope the atmosphere is like that tomorrow... 

The atmosphere will be immense me thinks 

The whole thing is geared towards a cracker.  First derby of the season and first full house one in two years.

Can't wait. 

On 10/09/2021 at 16:09, martoon said:

Quite a few possible derby debuts on Sunday. What was yours?

Hibernian 1 Heart of Midlothian 2, East of Scotland Shield, 27 October, 1981, for me.

Only a Shield game but, as the 10k+ att. would suggest, a derby that was taken seriously in the absence of League or Cup clashes.

Big Roddy MacDonald headed us into an early lead down at the cowshed, Hibs equalised late but shortly after that Gordon Rae bundled in an og to win it for us.

Lots of rioting, etc, and memories galore for the 13 year old me.

This was my first derby w😞as well OP. I was 11 and most guys at school were hibs fans, they took me along and I assumed I would just start following Hibs with them, but that night watching the Dunbar end was mesmerising. It made me realise HMFC had to be my team. Went to Tynecastle a few weeks later with the only Hearts fan I could find at my school - we spent the next 10yrs following HMFC home and away and loved every single moment, the highs and lows. Thanks for triggering great memories 🙂

2 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

The mercer derby maybe?

43 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

The mercer derby maybe?

Fits with the timeline and certainly would explain the carnage. Surprised no one saw the crutch getting waved at the vermin with the Hearts Tammy on top. You couldn’t miss it. 

5 hours ago, troy said:

That was my first one ,Willie Wallace scored 2 of the that day , 

Hibbees Two

Jam Tarts Three

Wallace, Kerrigan and MacNamee 🎶

My first derby must have been around 1957.  It was at ER and we won and the crowd was massive.  That's all I remember.

First defeat I remember was 0-7.

1 minute ago, luckydug said:

Hibbees Two

Jam Tarts Three

Wallace, Kerrigan and MacNamee 🎶

Funny wee story about that day. 

I went to the game with a pal but my two older brothers went to the game together. As was the custom in those days fans took their 'New Year Bottle' with them to the game. 

Being the sociable kind they got talking to another fan. As the game progressed and as Hibs were leading the football became a bit of a sideshow. That was until the Hearts terrific fightback resulted in great celebrations at the third goal. 

The two brothers and their new pal were dancing around in the pouring rain celebrating wildly until the final whistle went and their new friend says 'ah dinny Ken whit ah'm daeing ah'm a Hibs man' 😁 

No segregation in these days and the NYD game was as much part of the celebrations as hogmanay. 

1 hour ago, Heart&soul said:

This was my first derby w😞as well OP. I was 11 and most guys at school were hibs fans, they took me along and I assumed I would just start following Hibs with them, but that night watching the Dunbar end was mesmerising. It made me realise HMFC had to be my team. Went to Tynecastle a few weeks later with the only Hearts fan I could find at my school - we spent the next 10yrs following HMFC home and away and loved every single moment, the highs and lows. Thanks for triggering great memories 🙂

You're welcome, bud.

6 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Yes they eventually sectioned off the terracing from the wee Wheatfield Street tunnel and made the whole Gorgie Road end a bit to the side for away fans.

I think the only time I was in that end was for the game v Bayern where I had a great view from right above one of the exit tunnels.

20201216_163906.jpg

tynecastle@btinternet.com_06903322-1.jpg

September 1970, at Easter Road, 0-0 draw, I was 6yo with my dad he sat me on a barrier in the Dunbar End, my main recollection has always been Andy Lynch being taken off on a stretcher.

47E5C8AB-9187-40BC-8AC1-26410E293AB1.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Marvin said:

More from my first derby.  HHGH. 

1983090306.jpg

I remember the match programme had the derby stats. 

League: Hearts 68- 47 Hibs

Cup: Hearts 10- 9 Hibs

League Cup: Hearts 4-0 Hibs

Total: Hearts 82- 56 Hibs

After my 70s childhood it was a real eye opener to me that Hearts were still so far ahead.

Hearts 62- 30 Hibs, since.

I'll skip the first derby and go for the first derby win at Tynecastle in Sep 83

Hearts 3-2 Hibernian 

2-1 down before Robbo and Sir James of the Bone made Tynecastle go ballistic