First Derby

martoon

Quite a few possible derby debuts on Sunday. What was yours?

Hibernian 1 Heart of Midlothian 2, East of Scotland Shield, 27 October, 1981, for me.

Only a Shield game but, as the 10k+ att. would suggest, a derby that was taken seriously in the absence of League or Cup clashes.

Big Roddy MacDonald headed us into an early lead down at the cowshed, Hibs equalised late but shortly after that Gordon Rae bundled in an og to win it for us.

Lots of rioting, etc, and memories galore for the 13 year old me.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• martoon

• dannymack

• Auldbenches

• John Findlay

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 of September 1967. Hibs won 1-4 at Tynecastle, Pat Quinn(3) and Peter Cormack for Hibs. Tommy Traynor for us. I was 4yrs and 5 months old and down at the school end.

19th January 2008, Velicka scoring to win 1-0. Me and my mate were standing at a bus stop in gorebridge with our scarf's on, a car pulled up, husband and wife, and asked if we were going to the game and if we wanted a lift in. Nice people, never seen them again after they dropped us off on gorgie road, hopefully still season ticket holders.

Edited by Section N Rules

Though it was 1986 but after checking it was 31st august 1985. 2-1 colquhoun then Clark with the winner after Durie levelled for Hibs. 

I wasn’t alowed to go to Hibs or Celtic games when I was wee. 

First League Derby NYD 1958 

Hearts won 2-0 on the way to the League Title. 

There was a friendly match a few months earlier to celebrate Hearts new floodlights. We lost 4-2

and 6yo me was rather upset. 😢

11 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

19th January 2008, Velicka scoring to win 1-0. Me and my mate were standing at a bus stop in gorebridge with our scarf's on, a car pulled up, husband and wife, and asked if we were going to the game and if we wanted a lift in. Nice people, never seen them again after they dropped us off on gorgie road, hopefully still season ticket holders.

Fred and Rose perchance?

The first one I remember would be new years day 64/65 ish at Easter Road. I got a stand ticket in my Christmas stocking and went with my dad, brother and uncle. Hibs went 2 goals up early on and I remember my uncle saying that if we get one before half time we could go on and win it. We pulled one back before halftime then scored 2 in the second half to win 3-2. Boom boom!

78 at home with McLeod getting a very late winner.   Paid to get in at McLeod street and didn't know they had that end and a bit worried walking g through them as a 10 year old.  

Can't remember if we changed ends, but I remember being behind the goals at the school end and him scoring at the other end. 

Did changing ends happen relatively peacefully at that stage?  

Took years to see my first win which was Robbo's introducing himself to them.   

17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Sometime around 1966 or 1967. It was a draw but most of them were at that time iirc. 

Yes, I remember that spell, always seemed to finish 1-1.

30 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

9 of September 1967. Hibs won 1-4 at Tynecastle, Pat Quinn(3) and Peter Cormack for Hibs. Tommy Traynor for us. I was 4yrs and 5 months old and down at the school end.

Cormack was supposed to be the next big thing.  Didn't realise he played for them as early as that.  He was back to them in 82ish.  

8 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Cormack was supposed to be the next big thing.  Didn't realise he played for them as early as that.  He was back to them in 82ish.  

He didn't do to bad at Liverpool.

saw us win a few EOSS games home and away but the first 'big' game I think I was at was the 1966 2-1 Scottish Cup win at Tynecastle in midweek. Came from 1 down and Cruickie saved a penalty. Absolutely loved it and is still amongst my favourite derby wins

Just now, John Findlay said:

He didn't do to bad at Liverpool.

Better than mcgarvey...

I might've been thinking of Marinello (sp?) rather than cormack. 

Cormack ended up back at them ,Marinello ended up at us...

1 hour ago, martoon said:

Quite a few possible derby debuts on Sunday. What was yours?

Hibernian 1 Heart of Midlothian 2, East of Scotland Shield, 27 October, 1981, for me.

Only a Shield game but, as the 10k+ att. would suggest, a derby that was taken seriously in the absence of League or Cup clashes.

Big Roddy MacDonald headed us into an early lead down at the cowshed, Hibs equalised late but shortly after that Gordon Rae bundled in an og to win it for us.

Lots of rioting, etc, and memories galore for the 13 year old me.

Hibs v Hearts 1981 (10) - Copy - Copy - Copy-1.jpg

3 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Better than mcgarvey...

Cormack left Hibs for Nottingham Forest before eventually moving to Liverpool. Bill Shankly sang his praises saying he was the main reason they won the Fairs/UEFA cup in the early 70's I think. He moved to Bristol City after Liverpool before returning to Hibs.

See him from time to time walking his dog on Porty prom.

39 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Though it was 1986 but after checking it was 31st august 1985. 2-1 colquhoun then Clark with the winner after Durie levelled for Hibs. 

I wasn’t alowed to go to Hibs or Celtic games when I was wee. 

Hearts v Hibs 1985 John Colquhoun.jpg

6 minutes ago, dannymack said:

Hibs v Hearts 1981 (10) - Copy - Copy - Copy-1.jpg

Nice one, danny.

Never seen that pic before.

Roddy and, I think, Duncan

What a gap on the terracing. 

40 years ago next month. Gulp.

Edited by martoon

My first away derby was a  3-1 win at Easter rd. 3-0 up at half time doing the conga around the terrace. Robbo and Cameron scored I think. I still remember Leighton making a mess of things and Cameron nicking the ball off him and scoring.

No idea what my first home one was though. Must have been a good few years before my first away derby. 

My nephew will be at his first Derby on Sunday. He’s looking forward to it and so am I. Should be fun. 

13 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Better than mcgarvey...

He did via Arsenal and Portsmouth.

49 minutes ago, Section N Rules said:

19th January 2008, Velicka scoring to win 1-0. Me and my mate were standing at a bus stop in gorebridge with our scarf's on, a car pulled up, husband and wife, and asked if we were going to the game and if we wanted a lift in. Nice people, never seen them again after they dropped us off on gorgie road, hopefully still season ticket 

When was the one where they gave the hibs fans the school end,then we smashed the place up taking it back? Not my first one but the first time I took my,now ex,wife to see a Scottish match.

Just now, lou said:

Derek O,'Connor winner at Easter road 🇱🇻

Mine too. Had to look it up. 25th August 84. Coming round Albion Road onto Easter Road all you could see up to London Road was a huge maroon twirly. Awesome 

Think it had been a while since we won at the Piggery, which seems weird now

4 minutes ago, lou said:

Derek O,'Connor winner at Easter road 🇱🇻

Which one.

He did it twice. 😊

The winner in 1984 was amazing. We didn't play too well, fell behind, but still came back to win.

Frankie says it's all part of the story of our derby dominance.

Edited by martoon

2 minutes ago, thegreatsd said:

My first away derby was a  3-1 win at Easter rd. 3-0 up at half time doing the conga around the terrace. Robbo and Cameron scored I think. I still remember Leighton making a mess of things and Cameron nicking the ball off him and scoring.

No idea what my first home one was though. Must have been a good few years before my first away derby. 

My nephew will be at his first Derby on Sunday. He’s looking forward to it and so am I. Should be fun. 

Great taking the bairns to the football. Took both my nephews over the years and about to secure the wife’s grandsons jambo future, as his dad is a hibee who doesn’t go to matches. My old man was a hun though never took me to Rangers games but my uncles took me to see Hearts. 

Byyy The Light

Was in section N upper in the old main stand.  As an 11 year old it was unreal.  I'd been to loads of games before but that was the first time I ever experienced a proper atmosphere.

1 minute ago, martoon said:

Which one.

He did it twice. 😊

The winner in 1984 was amazing. We didn't play too well, fell behind, but still came back to win.

That one, then got the t-shirt 😁 

Just now, martoon said:

Nice one, danny.

Never seen that pic before.

Roddy and, I think, Duncan

What a gap on the terracing. 

FAO Martoon... 

A while ago I posted a thread relating to this game along with Jim McArthurs testimonial and the Tom Hart Memorial, I'll try and find them and bump it to the main page for you to go over. 👍

2 minutes ago, dannymack said:

FAO Martoon... 

A while ago I posted a thread relating to this game along with Jim McArthurs testimonial and the Tom Hart Memorial, I'll try and find them and bump it to the main page for you to go over. 👍

I think it was on a thread I started, danny.

Simply called "Hibs 1 Hearts 2".

One or two other lads added stuff also like EEN report etc.

Edited by martoon

The game we won to qualify for Europe in 2000.  I had my first season ticket that wasn't with my grandad and with my pals instead.  I wasn't allowed to go to the earlier game that season as it was on late and too dark, glad I didn't tbh. 

5 minutes ago, martoon said:

Which one.

He did it twice. 😊

Derek O'Connors chips are better than Brattisanis 

Screenshot_2014-09-05-18-58-28-1.png

3 minutes ago, martoon said:

I think it was on a thread I started, danny.

Simply called "Hibs 1 Hearts 2".

One or two other lads added stuff also like EEN report etc.

That's it bumped up now mate.

Салатные палочки

August 1993. Beautiful sunny day. I had my new 'Inter' shirt on and Magic scored the winner. Beautiful. 

Didn't really sink in until the derby later that season when Millar scored an equaliser late on in the delayed new year's game just how much it means to our fans not to lose to that mob. The place went mental. 

1 minute ago, dannymack said:

Derek O'Connors chips are better than Brattisanis 

Screenshot_2014-09-05-18-58-28-1.png

That's it.

Not there, danny, but I remember the win. Only 5 in 1973, so no real memory of 4-1. The above game was the first time I'd known Hearts win a derby.

Byyy The Light
11 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

August 1993. Beautiful sunny day. I had my new 'Inter' shirt on and Magic scored the winner. Beautiful. 

Didn't really sink in until the derby later that season when Millar scored an equaliser late on in the delayed new year's game just how much it means to our fans not to lose to that mob. The place went mental. 

See my post above. The Millar goal was my first derby. Video is above 

30 minutes ago, argyjambo said:

Cormack left Hibs for Nottingham Forest before eventually moving to Liverpool. Bill Shankly sang his praises saying he was the main reason they won the Fairs/UEFA cup in the early 70's I think. He moved to Bristol City after Liverpool before returning to Hibs.

See him from time to time walking his dog on Porty prom.

It was foolishly Marinello I was thinking about when typing, even thought about his TOTP appearance.  

Hackney Hearts
1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

1975/76 Ralph Callaghan then a 265th minute equaliser by stanton 😡😡😡

That's mine too. November 1975.

Same thing happened 3 years later - Hearts 1 up (Donald Park) and then Ally MacLeod* equalised around midnight at the school end.    

*the Hibs player, not the Scotland manager whose army we'd been on the march with that year.

My first Derby at ER was New Year's Day 1968, we got beat 1-0, a Pat Quinn penalty in the last few minutes I think.

All I can really remember is being very high up on the old East terracing.

Not the best of starts to my Hearts Derby games.

StevenNaismith

My first derby was actually at Easter Road in September of 1964, Hearts won 5-3 in what was a fantastic but ultimately heartbreaking season.