What is our best starting 11 now?

Hagar the Horrible

Ignoring our current formation for my own preference.  Ignoring some first team players as well.   My opinion could well change after Sunday.   

4-3-3       Gordon

Smith  Souttar Moore  Kingsley

Devlin   Haring  Beni

Ginnelly Woodburn GMS

hearts 4 the cup
8 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Right now? 

I think it is fairly obvious that our best XI is those that have won their place in the starting XI and have performed well. The only exception I'd make at the moment is Moore because he's a natural Centerhalf. 

Woodburn, Devlin and McKay can't be judged yet as they haven't contributed anything and until that happens, imo this is our best XI. 

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore 

Smith                    Cochrane/Kingsley 

Baningime Haring 

Ginnelly                            GMS

Boyce 

Can’t disagree with this.

But makes things exciting thinking about what might happen once these guys start to contribute. Should be a really good season 

42 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Ignoring our current formation for my own preference.  Ignoring some first team players as well.   My opinion could well change after Sunday.   

4-3-3       Gordon

Devlin   Haring  Beni

Ginnelly Woodburn GMS

Robbie is not going to drop Halliday and Halkett.

20 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Of course, it's not realistic.   Kingsley might not be able to run the line now.   So that keeps him in the 343.  Then that means other players have to drop out to suit the formation.    Which goes back to players have to earn their place.   

The team won't change much you'd think considering the league position thus far.    Maybe down to match fitness or just the impressing in training that gets one or two in.   I can't see too many changes to a successful team. 

7 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Why sign Moore and Devlin then ? Two of the weak links he has signed replacements for and he’s going to keep starting them ? Maybe in the derby but going forward neither are starting IMO

6 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

Of course, it's not realistic.   Kingsley might not be able to run the line now.   So that keeps him in the 343.  Then that means other players have to drop out to suit the formation.    Which goes back to players have to earn their place.   

The team won't change much you'd think considering the league position thus far.    Maybe down to match fitness or just the impressing in training that gets one or two in.   I can't see too many changes to a successful team. 

Not so sure why people think Halliday won’t or can’t be dropped. Haring and Beni should definitely keep their place in the middle and anyone can see Kingsley is a better option at LCB than Cochrane. That leaves Cochrane and Halliday vying for LWB. Not saying Halliday definitely will be dropped but Cochrane has played better in that position than Halliday imo. 

16 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Now with the window closed and a decent summ er of signings, not sure what our current best 11 is and formation, but as the new guys need time to blend:

I am going for a 4-4-2

Gordon

Smith

Soutar

halket

Kingsley

Beni

Haliday

GMS

Gino

Boyce

Gnando

Bench: Stuart, Moore, Cochrane,Haring, McEneff, devlin, Woodburn, walker, McKay

Good team tbf.

Only thing is I think we look much more solid at the back with a 3 and wing backs as has been proven this season and the tail end of last.

At the moment it is difficult to tell who our best 11 is because Woodburn, Moore, Devlin and McKay have 2 appearances between them, they might well all be in our best starting 11 after another dozen games or so?

At the current moment our best 11 imo is

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Cochrane

Smith Beni Haring Kingsley

Gino Boyce GMS

We have seen all of them play at least a decentish amount of games for hearts so I would go with that, however I have a gut feeling that Woodburn might be better than Gino and McKay could potentially be better than GMS but we will wait and see on that, I have seen the boy Devlin play a couple of times for Wellington phoenix and I thought he was a good player and stood out,  albeit it was in the A league, however I think the A league is better than what people give it credit for, Moore could be better than halkett too, I like Gnando but he doesn't suit our best system which Is a shame but I really like it when we change it up and he partners boyce in a two, I guess it's too early to tell yet though, that's a good thing though, it'd been a while since I have struggled to name our best 11.

17 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Right now? 

I think it is fairly obvious that our best XI is those that have won their place in the starting XI and have performed well. The only exception I'd make at the moment is Moore because he's a natural Centerhalf. 

Woodburn, Devlin and McKay can't be judged yet as they haven't contributed anything and until that happens, imo this is our best XI. 

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore 

Smith                    Cochrane/Kingsley 

Baningime Haring 

Ginnelly                            GMS

Boyce 

Pretty much. As you say, we’ve yet to see more of our new signings to gauge who’s going to keep their place or lose it.  

However, he needs to find a remedy when Kingsley or Cochrane are missing. Not a big fan of the Smith/Halliday wing back combination as a stop gap. It’s one or the other you can get away with.  Against stronger, more athletic sides they’ll struggle to support further up the park in those roles, as we saw against Aberdeen. You’d pick Smith first but we’d need more “legs” on the left.

This is the danger of the system if the balance isn’t right.  Esp if we play two defensive in nature centre mids, you lose attacking impetus.  

Edited by Debut 4

17 hours ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Smith                                Cochrane

Beni Devlin

Gino           Woodburn

Boyce

Looks a good side and a system that fits the players we have. Finally.

Like this. I’d like to be able to have Moore in there…he looked decent in his short appearance at Tannadice. Maybe in for Halkett.

McKay, GMS, Gnando, Halliday, Haring on the bench. 

Edited by cb1874

Long post alert ⚠️ I don't normally post that much but it has been on my mind a lot, the 3-4-3 has been quite successful  but it was a necessity because last season, our main CB Halkett is horrific in a 2 man central defence but looks remarkably better in a back 3. It seems strange to say but it's not the best formation (in my eyes) for the players we have.

A lot of this is hypothetical, if our new players come in and make a difference 

3-4-3

Gordon

Souttar     Halkett    Moore

Smith                                  Cochrane

Beni      Haring

Woodburn                   GMS

Boyce

Pros- has gotten us off to a good start to the season, compliments Halkett and Haring, allows Souttar and Moore to drive forward with the ball. Lots of cover in the LWB area and  in the attacking third with Mackay, Ginelly.

Cons- quite defensive at least 6 defensively minded players, placed a lot of onus on the front 3 to create and a lot of pressure on Beni to link it all up, little pace in the middle of the park. Absolutely no cover at RWB and whole Smith is a solid player he is not the dynamic, attacking pacy wingback that would really be best suited to this role.

4-2-3-1

Gordon

Smith   Souttar  Moore   Cochrane

Beni    Haring

Ginelly      Wooburn     GMS

Boyce 

Pros- Robbies old go-to formation, adds a different dynamic in the final third and actually have the players to play it this year, plays more to Smith and Cochranes strengths, offers a midfield link to the 2 holding players.

Cons- we have been here a lot recently, can become really narrow with Boys and the No10 getting in each others way.

This next one is a bit of a stretch as it needs some players to come in and prove themselves but, if we are to look at the players we have it is an option.

4-3-2-1

Gordon

Smith    Souttar   Moore    Cochrane 

Beni

Devlin      McEneff

Mackay      Woodburn 

Boyce

Pros- adds 2 energetic players who could go box-to-box with dynamicism,  thar midfield 3 should not get overrun and could really add energy to the game.

Cons- too many unknowns in there 

3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Why sign Moore and Devlin then ? Two of the weak links he has signed replacements for and he’s going to keep starting them ? Maybe in the derby but going forward neither are starting IMO

We will soon find out what Robbie thinks. He signed these players to put pressure on the current first choice players and if they don't measure up then they will be dropped.

He hasn't had that option before now. Add to that these new signings have not exactly played a lot of football so unlikely to feature from the start unless we have injury/sickness issues.

Edited by wavydavy
typo

18 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Some good sides posted. Nobody knows our best 11 because we haven’t seen a few players play much. 

I do think it’ll settle down to look like RustyRightPeg’s side above. 

On paper looks very good, but we’ll need to see how some of the new guys settle in over the next few games. Fingers crossed they live up to the billing they’ve had. My concern would be Neilson playing GMS or Halliday  over others (not a slight on both) and the competition for places should be fierce going forward barring injuries. 

14 hours ago, HMFC01 said:

4-3-3       Gordon

Devlin   Haring  Beni

Ginnelly Woodburn GMS

Yer missing Boyce mate ??

On 10/09/2021 at 14:20, Stendelnator said:

Our team is designed for 3-4-3

Our team going forward, unless there are injuries, will be Gordon, Souttar, Halkett, Kingsley, Smith, Baningime, Devlin, Cochrane, Boyce and two of GMS, McKay, Ginnelly and Woodburn. Given Woodburn is on loan he will play when available. 

This is what it will be 

7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Not so sure why people think Halliday won’t or can’t be dropped. Haring and Beni should definitely keep their place in the middle and anyone can see Kingsley is a better option at LCB than Cochrane. That leaves Cochrane and Halliday vying for LWB. Not saying Halliday definitely will be dropped but Cochrane has played better in that position than Halliday imo. 

Yes Cochran’s is definitely better than Halliday 

Gordon

Souttar   Halkett   Taylor

Gino     Beni     Haring    Kingsley

McKay                  Woodburn

Boyce

7 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I agree Haliday should be fighting Cochrane for wingback.    He has had some good goals through the middle though.   But maybe not defensively as good to hold midfield or go boxtobox at a fair pace.   Kingsley at LCB looks good with Souttar on the right.   

I don't want anyone to lose their place this week through mistakes.    Can we leave that until after Sunday please Hearts 😉

1 hour ago, ray said:

Yer missing Boyce mate ??

Yes.   I'd have him on the bench though.    I've noticed his passing is off at times when a simple pass is all that's needed.   It wastes chances and pisses me off ☺  

I think every player that has similar issues should be dropped until they sort it out.    That's just me.   He's been scoring goals which has kept him in the side.    He does compete very well but I still feel he's giving the ball away cheaply. 

I'm happy whatever team gets called by Robbie.   

30 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

Yes.   I'd have him on the bench though.    I've noticed his passing is off at times when a simple pass is all that's needed.   It wastes chances and pisses me off ☺  

I think every player that has similar issues should be dropped until they sort it out.    That's just me.   He's been scoring goals which has kept him in the side.    He does compete very well but I still feel he's giving the ball away cheaply. 

I'm happy whatever team gets called by Robbie.   

I tend to agree with you in respect to Boyce.  Maybe due to lack of alternatives, Boyce started when he should have been rested.  He messed up a few scoring chances by either being to slow in passing or got his feet mixed up.  Now Neilson has a few options where he can sit out Boyce, Nando, Ginelly or GMS without weakening the attack.

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Smith                             Cochrane

Beni Haring

Gino Boyce GMS

Moore, Woodburn, Devlin & McKay could very well be better than those currently in the team, but haven't seen anything from them yet obviously. 

Edited by OTT

17 hours ago, OTT said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Smith                             Cochrane

Beni Haring

Gino Boyce GMS

Moore, Woodburn, Devlin & McKay could very well be better than those currently in the team, but haven't seen anything from them yet obviously. 

Devlin has made all the right noises since before he arrived so I’d start him if he is fit enough. I’d also start woodburn ahead of Ginelly 

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Devlin has made all the right noises since before he arrived so I’d start him if he is fit enough. I’d also start woodburn ahead of Ginelly 

Devlin ahead of who?

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Our best XI is the team that started today. 

Possibly,   we need to see Devlin though,  I’m hoping he can improve our starting 11 and link midfield to attack better.  Just feel we need to be more dynamic from middle to front.     McKay well short of match fitness but will push GMS hard for a starting place in another few games or so I reckon.    Just good though to have what appears to be quality competition within the team. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
On 10/09/2021 at 21:31, Das Viertel Hearts said:

Haring.  

First pick for me.

Our modern day Neil Berry.

Berry was a water carrier, Haring directs the flow

I like Woodburn a lot and was pleasantly surprised by McKay. Could be very exciting once they are fully both up to speed.

Thought Beni and Haring gave us good control in midfield and liked the narrower front three trying quick combinations through middle.

Apart from a couple of decent crosses from Cochrane there was still almost nothing coming in from the flanks though, which must be a worry.

Edited by Cut The Crap

Best squad we've had in ages imo. We should finish 3rd and really push the top two. The only real areas of concern are CB, and RWB but our midfield and attacking options are quite strong.