What is our best starting 11 now?

Hagar the Horrible

Hagar the Horrible

Now with the window closed and a decent summ er of signings, not sure what our current best 11 is and formation, but as the new guys need time to blend:

I am going for a 4-4-2

Gordon

Smith

Soutar

halket

Kingsley

Beni

Haliday

GMS

Gino

Boyce

Gnando

Bench: Stuart, Moore, Cochrane,Haring, McEneff, devlin, Woodburn, walker, McKay

Our team is designed for 3-4-3

Our team going forward, unless there are injuries, will be Gordon, Souttar, Halkett, Kingsley, Smith, Baningime, Devlin, Cochrane, Boyce and two of GMS, McKay, Ginnelly and Woodburn. Given Woodburn is on loan he will play when available. 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Smith                                Cochrane

Beni Devlin

Gino           Woodburn

Boyce

Looks a good side and a system that fits the players we have. Finally.

17 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Our team is designed for 3-4-3

Our team going forward, unless there are injuries, will be Gordon, Souttar, Halkett, Kingsley, Smith, Baningime, Devlin, Cochrane, Boyce and two of GMS, McKay, Ginnelly and Woodburn. Given Woodburn is on loan he will play when available. 

This is how I see it, only exception could be Moore in for Halkett/ Smith depending on how good he is in either position. 

What a squad transformation, Gnando, Walker and 2 of GMS, McKay, Gino, Woodburn sitting on the bench. 

Edited by EH11 2NL

Right now? 

I think it is fairly obvious that our best XI is those that have won their place in the starting XI and have performed well. The only exception I'd make at the moment is Moore because he's a natural Centerhalf. 

Woodburn, Devlin and McKay can't be judged yet as they haven't contributed anything and until that happens, imo this is our best XI. 

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore 

Smith                    Cochrane/Kingsley 

Baningime Haring 

Ginnelly                            GMS

Boyce 

Edited by Cruyff

Incredibly difficult question to answer with any degree of authority.

We haven't really seen Moore, Woodburn, Devlin or McKay play, not for Hearts anyway and we're still to see Cammy Logan get a run in the team, although I do know he is good.

Expect Moore to make it into the back 3. If Halkett retains some form, he should come in for the natural LB, allowing Kingsley/Cochrane to compete in their natural position. But if Halkett starts playing shit, then if we are asking what the best 11 is, |I fully expect to swap him out for Kingsley, who I like at LCB.

I like Ginelly out of the 2 wingers at the club and of the new arrivals I would opt for Woodburn going on gut feeling

Beni is a must start in midield. I don't mind the 2 DM's playing in most circumstances, given we have attacking threat elsewhere, Halliday is probably the better option on current form but I still hope Haring can return to his best as I still think there's a cracking player in there.

Devlin is probably a very good option, going by the description we have of his playing style and energy but the jury is very much out coming from Australian football, so I need to wait and see there.

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore

Smith                                 Kingsley

Beni    Haring

Ginelly                      Woodburn 

Boyce     

22 minutes ago, Jamstomorrow said:

Anyone know if Mikey Smith will be fit to play?

According to the match thread Robbie has said he is available.

All of the Hibs squad apparently have Covid and they are calling in Fans who play Sunday league to see if they'll pull on the jersey

3-4-3 for me. 

Id be partial to even throw Logan in at RWB I’m that confident in his potential ability when he’s fit. 

Gordon

Souttar Moore Kingsley

Smith                                 Cochrane

Beni    Devlin

Gino                      Woodburn 

Boyce   

Some good sides posted. Nobody knows our best 11 because we haven’t seen a few players play much. 

I do think it’ll settle down to look like RustyRightPeg’s side above. 

8 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

According to the match thread Robbie has said he is available.

All of the Hibs squad apparently have Covid and they are calling in Fans who play Sunday league to see if they'll pull on the jersey

😀 some serious misinformation coming out of Easter Road. Clearly still smarting after getting beat at Hampden by a championship side who weren’t allowed to train. 

Edited by GinRummy

Obviously we have got a squad which gives up good options in most positions but this is the team I hope might become our best XI once the new boys are bedded in.

Gordon

Moore Souttar Kingsley

Smith Baningine Devlin Cochrane

Ginnelly Boyce Woodburn 

I want Souttar to have licence to come forward with the ball and play passes as he has that ability. I am assuming Moore will be better than Halkett, although he has been decent in the last few games.

Smith is the only real option at RWB unless we play Ginnelly or Woodburn there, which would be tempting against teams where we are expected to win and we can play another attacking player.

Baningime and Devlin look like upgrades on Haring and Halliday, although all will play a part.

GMS and McKay will also interchange with Ginnelly and Woodburn with Gnanduillet also a good option off the bench.

Bazzas right boot

I'd say no such thing nowadays Tbh. 

Our core players  for me-

Gordon

Souttar 

Smith 

Beni 

Boyce 

Will likely start every game. 

Keep that core fit and we're in business. 

The others will Likley chop and change depending on training / form etc. 

Cochrane/Kingsley / Moore / Halkett/ Halliday / Logan all in about defence 

Devlin, Halliday, Haring, maybe even Pollock for Central mid. 

Woodburn/ GMS / walker / Mckay/ Gino for the forward and wide berths. 

Big chicken to mix it up as a striker. 

Opshunns!

12 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

3-4-3 for me. 

Id be partial to even throw Logan in at RWB I’m that confident in his potential ability when he’s fit. 

Gordon

Souttar Moore Kingsley

Beni    Devlin

Gino                      Woodburn 

Boyce   

This for me.

Strong bench of Halkett, Halliday, Haring, Mackay, GMS, Gnando, Stewart.

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Beni    Haring

Woodburn                   GMS 

Boyce   

This one for me.

If one or more of Moore, Devlin, Ginelly, or McKay are better than their counterparts in that team, we'll be in good shape. 

Edited by Cut The Crap

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Right now? 

I think it is fairly obvious that our best XI is those that have won their place in the starting XI and have performed well. The only exception I'd make at the moment is Moore because he's a natural Centerhalf. 

Woodburn, Devlin and McKay can't be judged yet as they haven't contributed anything and until that happens, imo this is our best XI. 

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore 

Baningime Haring 

Boyce 

I would agree with this. As much as some of the new signings excite me they are untried at this level so we don’t know yet. But I’m hopeful with a lot of them.

Also not sure why the OP has opted to deviate from a 3-4-3 to a 4-4-2 when we’ve looked slow and laboured whenever we’ve played 4 at the back.

30 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Beni    Haring

Boyce   

This one for me.

If one or more of Moore, Devlin, Ginelly, or McKay are better than their counterparts in that team, we'll be in good shape. 

That’s the team I’d pick tbh 

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Right now? 

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Moore 

Baningime Haring 

Boyce 

Cant believe the op post however this - though I suspect Nelly will be keen to use/see Woodys impact - with Gino rotating

Selkirkhmfc1874
33 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Beni    Haring

Boyce   

This one for me.

That's team I'd go with aswell , far too big a game to just throw players into that just here and getting upto speed etc but the bench will be strongest for a long time aswell 

2 hours ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Smith                                Cochrane

Beni Devlin

Gino           Woodburn

Boyce

Looks a good side and a system that fits the players we have. Finally.

This for me too would argue haring and Gms are unlucky to miss sunday

30 minutes ago, 160598 said:

Cant believe the op post however this - though I suspect Nelly will be keen to use/see Woodys impact - with Gino rotating

We'll revisit this in 6 weeks and it might include Woodburn and Devlin but at the moment, I think that's the team. :thumbsup:

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Cut The Crap said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Beni    Haring

Boyce   

This one for me.

. This for me as well. 

1 hour ago, gnasher75 said:

Obviously we have got a squad which gives up good options in most positions but this is the team I hope might become our best XI once the new boys are bedded in.

Gordon

Moore Souttar Kingsley

Smith Baningine Devlin Cochrane

Ginnelly Boyce Woodburn 

I want Souttar to have licence to come forward with the ball and play passes as he has that ability. I am assuming Moore will be better than Halkett, although he has been decent in the last few games.

Smith is the only real option at RWB unless we play Ginnelly or Woodburn there, which would be tempting against teams where we are expected to win and we can play another attacking player.

Baningime and Devlin look like upgrades on Haring and Halliday, although all will play a part.

GMS and McKay will also interchange with Ginnelly and Woodburn with Gnanduillet also a good option off the bench.

Have to go with most of your opinion other than Robbie is a loyal type of Coach and I fancy that he will make room for Halliday and GMS.

Having said that I would prefer your statrting team.

47 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Have to go with most of your opinion other than Robbie is a loyal type of Coach and I fancy that he will make room for Halliday and GMS.

Having said that I would prefer your statrting team.

Zero chance Devlin starts imo

Find it a little surprising to see not many taking a punt on the untried Moore but happily including Devlin/Woodburn.

And I don't think a single person has included McKay, who is at very least a known entity in this league.

Interesting

2 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Find it a little surprising to see not many taking a punt on the untried Moore but happily including Devlin/Woodburn.

And I don't think a single person has included McKay, who is at very least a known entity in this league.

Interesting

I’m excited by McKay. Only had one season in the Scottish top flight, surprisingly. 

11 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Interesting

McKay widely acknowledged to be short of match fitness, no?

Been doing running and gym work but little else. 

Might get 5 minutes at the end unless we’re 1-0 or 1-1. 

12 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Interesting

Moore is up in the air with the Smudge situation. Personally if he is not 100% I would not play him. Eg If he comes off after 35 mins holding his leg I will be raging as its a long season ahead. As for Mckay Nelly hinted he will play a part.

Subs for me will be 

gino for woody

Mckay for GMS

Devlin for Haring

3 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Interesting

It's not a game for punts as far as I'm concerned.

I just think it's risky giving Moore his first start in this game. I'd prefer a more settled defence with players who've experienced it before.

Devlin also seems a risk but mainly because I know nothing about him. If he's settled in well, impressed in training, and deemed a better option than Haring or Halliday, then great. I can't judge that though, so it's Haring for me.

McKay has been without a club since June I read and in all honestly looks like a he needs to drop a dress size before he can be considered. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'd say 14. Gnandos McKay GMS and Gino will rotate. 

Probably something similar in midfield. 

Someone once asked me which was the quality watch,  divers or Rolex.

Answer was depends on the occasion 

rudi must stay

Gordon

Smith

Souttar (the 3s nice but I prefer a four it covers the wings)

Moore

Kingsley

Beningime

Haring (3 ball winners)

Devlin

Woodburn (let him run in behind)

Boyce (gets you 15+ goals a season)

Gnandguillet (he's no very good but a good target man to hold it up)

10 minutes ago, CMc said:

McKay widely acknowledged to be short of match fitness, no?

Been doing running and gym work but little else. 

Might get 5 minutes at the end unless we’re 1-0 or 1-1. 

10 minutes ago, 160598 said:

Moore is up in the air with the Smudge situation. Personally if he is not 100% I would not play him. Eg If he comes off after 35 mins holding his leg I will be raging as its a long season ahead. As for Mckay Nelly hinted he will play a part.

Subs for me will be 

gino for woody

Mckay for GMS

Devlin for Haring

9 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

I just think it's risky giving Moore his first start in this game. I'd prefer a more settled defence with players who've experienced it before.

Devlin also seems a risk but mainly because I know nothing about him. If he's settled in well, impressed in training, and deemed a better option than Haring or Halliday, then great. I can't judge that though, so it's Haring for me.

McKay has been without a club since June I read and in all honestly looks like a he needs to drop a dress size before he can be considered. 

I don't think the OP is asking what the line up for Sunday should be (at least that's how I read it).

I thought he meant when everyone is fully fit and availble, what would be our strongest starting 11.

9 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Id be more than happy with Moore playing and think there's every chance he will start - seeing as Smith played the other day and got a knock - and he's no spring chicken

Wasn't that long ago Spurs and a few other big teams wanted him

3 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

I don't think the OP is asking what the line up for Sunday should be (at least that's how I read it).

I thought he meant when everyone is fully fit and availble, what would be our strongest starting 11.

Well we canny answer what we havent seen

5 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Gordon

Smith

Moore

Kingsley

Beningime

Haring (3 ball winners)

Devlin

Gnandos no very good ? Is that based on his better goals to mins played ratio than a certain Boyce

4 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Gordon

Smith

Moore

Kingsley

Beningime

Haring (3 ball winners)

Devlin

Surely if we play 4-3–3 there is room for a more forward thinking midfielder?

Edited by GinRummy

2 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

Open to intepretation. My take was what is our best 11 now, two days before our first derby of the season.

TBH, even if it's a more general question, I'm not sure I'd change much given how little I know about Moore and Devlin and how little I remember of McKay before he disappeared down south.

14 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Gordon

Smith

Moore

Kingsley

Beningime

Haring (3 ball winners)

Devlin

It'd be interesting to go without any of the wingers, but certainly shows the strength of squad at the moment

17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Surely if we play 4-3–3 there is room for a more forward thinking midfielder?

Yes there would but who . Beni would fill the Salvatori role but the other 2 midfielders are creators in that set up - which would probably be.......Woody and McKay - Dont think that fits Nellys mould of a balanced midfield.

Quite sure Nelly will be thinking if it aint broke dont fix it

Edited by 160598

3 minutes ago, 160598 said:

Yes there would but who . Beni would fill the Savatori role but the other 2 midfielders are creators in that set up - which would probably be.......Woody and McKay - Dont think that fits Nelly mould of a balanced midfield.

Quite sure Nelly will be thinking if it aint broke dont fix it

I think if there is a change in formation it’ll be to 4-2-3-1. Keeping the defensive midfield anchor that RN has recruited for and enabling the wingers to start quite high up the pitch. Also gets Woodburn into his best position. 

i reckon we will see 3-4-3 for a while yet though. 

Edited by GinRummy

rudi must stay
31 minutes ago, 160598 said:

Gnandos no very good ? Is that based on his better goals to mins played ratio than a certain Boyce

Football, for me anyway is about ball control, ability with a football. Gnando is not a great footballer in that sense, he'd agree with that himself probably. But when he sees the whites of the keepers eyes he can stick the ball past them

I'll keep it simple but none of the players who have yet to play for Hearts are in our starting lineup yet.

Yes that means Devlin and McKay.

They both still have to earn their place.

Ginelly, GMS, Haring or even Halliday won't be losing their place right now and I expect all 4 to start on Sunday. Only exception I can see is if Kingsley comes back in then Cochrane moves left and Halliday drops to the bench.

47 minutes ago, davie1980 said:

That's how I read it too.

3 hours ago, Cut The Crap said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Beni    Haring

Boyce   

This one for me.

That's the very one. 

Would take either of Woody or Gino. Perhaps if Smith isn't ready to go we will see Gino play RWB with Woodburn in front.

Find it weird so many people are putting Devlin in...

Haring isn't losing his place to an untested Devlin. Not in a derby. Not when he has a good partnership built with Beni. And Haring hate the hibs.

For me he'll definitely come on as a sub for either of those two once we have the game well in hand.

Edited by PhoenixHearts

Very difficult to decide who’s best and  in what position. I honestly think this is the best squad since mad Vlad was around. 

For me only Gordon, Soapy and Boyce are certs with the remainder fighting it out. 

Some of the latest new signings are certainly intriguing and especially Devlin.

Very good squad now with no duds at all and l can only see us get better as the weeks pass by.

Can’t wait for Sunday.

Bring on the h1b5

6 minutes ago, BIG ECK said:

Very difficult to decide who’s best and  in what position. I honestly think this is the best squad since mad Vlad was around. 

For me only Gordon, Soapy and Boyce are certs with the remainder fighting it out. 

Some of the latest new signings are certainly intriguing and especially Devlin.

Very good squad now with no duds at all and l can only see us get better as the weeks pass by.

Can’t wait for Sunday.

Bring on the h1b5

Benis a dead cert surely

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

I think if there is a change in formation it’ll be to 4-2-3-1. Keeping the defensive midfield anchor that RN has recruited for and enabling the wingers to start quite high up the pitch. Also gets Woodburn into his best position. 

i reckon we will see 3-4-3 for a while yet though. 

Well he played 4 2 3 1 in the championship (shivers) albeit with a motley crew - wasn't pretty then but you never know now. I also think too much talk is about our formation on here. RN will hopefully be looking at other teams and adjusting accordingly if he sees a weakness and vice versa