Fever Pitch: The Rise of the Premier League

Deodato

Sorta okay doc alert. 

On iPlayer and from the Open University, the story of how football's Premier League was formed, told by its stars. Good memories, bad production. You forget about the story of Jack Walker and Blackburn, the Cantona transfer and the fact Man Utd hadn't won the league in over quarter of a century. That's all good viewing. It loses itself along the way but still worth a watch. Officially here, and YouTube'ed below.  

Might give it a go but it will be knowing full well I'll hate it. The Premier League coincided with the beginning of the Champions League and the end of football as we knew it; certainly for anyone who grew up watching the game from late 1960's onwards.

It made millionaires out of mediocre players and some pretty poor ones and ultimately led football to become an elitist sport. I recommend anyone to watch The Big Match on ITV4. Football as it should be and not played by precious little divas preened to within an inch of their lives moaning about being tired after playing a couple of games in a week.

Jumpers for goalposts rant over!

1 hour ago, JWL said:

Might give it a go but it will be knowing full well I'll hate it. The Premier League coincided with the beginning of the Champions League and the end of football as we knew it; certainly for anyone who grew up watching the game from late 1960's onwards.

It made millionaires out of mediocre players and some pretty poor ones and ultimately led football to become an elitist sport. I recommend anyone to watch The Big Match on ITV4. Football as it should be and not played by precious little divas preened to within an inch of their lives moaning about being tired after playing a couple of games in a week.

Jumpers for goalposts rant over!

Can’t argue with any of that.