World of Football

Dazo

The quotes from the Greens councillor in the article are incredibly weak. 

Shocking if this comes to pass. More student accommodation in an area where it is significantly oversaturated as is. At the expense of a community resource that's vital for the physical and mental health for thousands of residents. 

13 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

The quotes from the Greens councillor in the article are incredibly weak. 

Shocking if this comes to pass. More student accommodation in an area where it is significantly oversaturated as is. At the expense of a community resource that's vital for the physical and mental health for thousands of residents. 

I noticed that too. Typical Edinburgh council though, not a single thought for its tax paying residents. 

The lack of affordable housing sees Edinburgh turn its key workers into the working poor.

That together with tax rises and taxing you higher if you try and work your way out of it.

Tynecastle high school student flats as apparently the air quality not good enough for social housing is just another example of shite governance.

Time that Holyrood stepped In .

City is getting ran by backhanded envelopes 

1 hour ago, Ked said:

The lack of affordable housing sees Edinburgh turn its key workers into the working poor.

That together with tax rises and taxing you higher if you try and work your way out of it.

Tynecastle high school student flats as apparently the air quality not good enough for social housing is just another example of shite governance.

Time that Holyrood stepped In .

City is getting ran by backhanded envelopes 

Literally me at the moment. Split up with my girlfriend during the summer and left paying my flat on my own which leaves me a pittance once rent and bills are paid. Looking elsewhere to decrease rent, but there's just not anything out there much cheaper than where I currently am. And I'm actually in Musselburgh. Seriously considering moving considerably further out as I just can't afford to live in and around Edinburgh on my own which is a shite state of affairs.

Just now, Locky said:

Literally me at the moment. Split up with my girlfriend during the summer and left paying my flat on my own which leaves me a pittance once rent and bills are paid. Looking elsewhere to decrease rent, but there's just not anything out there much cheaper than where I currently am. And I'm actually in Musselburgh. Seriously considering moving considerably further out as I just can't afford to live in and around Edinburgh on my own which is a shite state of affairs.

I'm comfortable just.

My mates daughter works in care industry.

Has a flat and he is constantly bailing her out.

She worked throughout pandemic has no money for fun.

It's a joke .There needs a look at Edunburghs cost of living .

By the way the student accommodation isnt cheap.

Together with high rents dear cost of living higher ni contributions and a higher rate if tax once you get over the 42 grand mark we are being robbed.

The working poor is a reality and the political class are ignoring it at their peril.

Ripe for a step in from some reactionary party.

The SNP have lost touch.

Good luck mate I cannot give you advice because theres not much option.

Work longer and the rats just tax you harder.

The talk of 4 day weeks is a bag of shite amongst the reality.

luckyBatistuta
19 minutes ago, Locky said:

Sorry to hear that Locky, hopefully something positive is around the corner for you. They just don’t seem to care about the hard working residents, as long as the students and tourists are ok🙄😤😡

It’s a long time since we bought our house and we’ve no intention of moving . Couldn’t believe it when I seen an advert for the new houses on the old Springwell medical centre on Gorgie/Ardmillan being advertised for £230,000 😱 nearly quarter of a million in Gorgie . 

1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

It’s a long time since we bought our house and we’ve no intention of moving . Couldn’t believe it when I seen an advert for the new houses on the old Springwell medical centre on Gorgie/Ardmillan being advertised for £230,000 😱 nearly quarter of a million in Gorgie . 

Rents are wild.

Really needs a proper shake up the housing market.

Young couples have no chance.

The Scottish government should address this as an urgent matter.

Just now, Ked said:

Rents are wild.

I really do feel for all the hard working people out there that are really up against it trying to get a foot on the housing (owning) ladder . I don’t see how either of my daughters will be able to afford a house in an area they like in Edinburgh .
All this student accommodation building is getting out of hand , Edinburgh is a working city it’s workers need housing , it’s not rocket science , but then again it is  CEC 

6 minutes ago, Ked said:

Rents are wild.

Can I ask , what is the cost of renting a 1 or 2 bedroom house / flat , I see the prices for buying but never looked at rents tbh 

Just now, 3fingersreid said:

I really do feel for all the hard working people out there that are really up against it trying to get a foot on the housing (owning) ladder . I don’t see how either of my daughters will be able to afford a house in an area they like in Edinburgh .
All this student accommodation building is getting out of hand , Edinburgh is a working city it’s workers need housing , it’s not rocket science , but then again it is  CEC 

Useless .

I'm not anti tram as such but the money should have seen housing.

1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Miss playing there in the summer. On a sunny day it felt like you were playing in Brazil with the heat coming through the glass

And in winter an away game in Siberia . 
Played in goals there for a sometimes friendly Hearts v hibs game and went 57 mins without losing a goal , I’ve still never forgiven the defender who gave the ball away for a hibs player to score their only goal . My team celebrated a 12-1 victory , I was ****ing raging 😂😂

1 minute ago, 3fingersreid said:

Can I ask , what is the cost of renting a 1 or 2 bedroom house / flat , I see the prices for buying but never looked at rents tbh 

For a 1 bed in Gorgie 800.

The old social work across from the merch hearts 1200 for 1 bed rent ni joke.

I'm lucky.

Mid market 650.

My bird has a tidy flat social housing 400 something.

She wants me to move in.

Something I'm not sure about for various.

I'm on decent money I put in hours as have others to carry.

It grates me that i get taxed more on my overtime.

Really does my head in considering the cost of living in Edinburgh.

My mates daughter works in care .

On shitpence 675 rent.

Struggling

All these key workers getting priced oot the toon.

Means more and more commute.

Aaarrgggh

Jeffros Furios

On topic it was blessed with my greatness for a number of years . Best goalie the place ever seen .

Offish topic I don't think there is council tax for student accommodation. 

£800 a month 😱 in today’s low interest rates that’s got to be more than a mortgage ? 
I hope you get something sorted sooner rather than later my friend 

6 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

£800 a month 😱 in today’s low interest rates that’s got to be more than a mortgage ? 

Rent is higher than a mortgage for a lot people unfortunately.

7 hours ago, Ked said:

For a 1 bed in Gorgie 800.

The old social work across from the merch hearts 1200 for 1 bed rent ni joke.

I'm lucky.

Mid market 650.

My bird has a tidy flat social housing 400 something.

She wants me to move in.

Something I'm not sure about for various.

I'm on decent money I put in hours as have others to carry.

It grates me that i get taxed more on my overtime.

Really does my head in considering the cost of living in Edinburgh.

My mates daughter works in care .

On shitpence 675 rent.

Struggling

All these key workers getting priced oot the toon.

Means more and more commute.

Aaarrgggh

They rental rates are extortionate. The government should set a rental cap, if there are landlords who can’t afford d to rent out at these prices then the government should buy the houses/ flats and rent at mid market rates.

1 hour ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Rent is higher than a mortgage for a lot people unfortunately.

32 minutes ago, windsor1874 said:

Massively. I pay £550 for my mortgage and I'd probably get £1000 if I rented it out (2 bed slateford). Absolute disgrace.

And at that kind of price there’s not a chance of saving for a deposit 😡

30 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

I think they will burst the green belts round the city soon, in an attempt to provide more housing. 

That’s getting done down at Maybury road at Cammo right now , there won’t be any homes at the low end of the market price there though 

3 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The West of the city is probably prime for it as there is a bit of room around the city within the council boundary. 

They’ve been creeping onto to them for a while. I think in the future, we’ll probably see housing spread out to villages surrounding Edinburgh, and effectively have an Edinburgh and greater Edinburgh. 

I thought all new developments, of certain size, were conditional on a % of affordable housing. Albeit not sure why I think that🤷🏻‍♂️

I’m of the same thought as you with regards to affordable housing 🤷🏻‍♂️
The green belt is definitely being reduced 😡

10 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Issue for renters who want to buy is saving the deposit, which is a minimum of 10 percent. Basically at least £20,000 for a 2 bedroom flat in Edinburgh. Daughter and her boyfriend bought an ex council flat in Balgreen for about £210,000 about 3 months ago. 

11 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Renting is miles more expensive than a mortgage. My monthly cost nearly halved when I got my mortgage. 

From 650 to 380.

Its daylight robbery. Boomers bought everything up and now take in the money from the younger generation who can't get onto the housing ladder.

If it makes people feel any better though, the numbers being banded around are far from exclusive to Edinburgh.

11 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

Rumours around that the old picture house / church next to MHSC is earmarked for student accommodation too

2 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

The West of the city is probably prime for it as there is a bit of room around the city within the council boundary. 

They’ve been creeping onto to them for a while. I think in the future, we’ll probably see housing spread out to villages surrounding Edinburgh, and effectively have an Edinburgh and greater Edinburgh. 

I thought all new developments, of certain size, were conditional on a % of affordable housing. Albeit not sure why I think that🤷🏻‍♂️

Literally thousands of houses planned for South Queensferry and hundreds of new houses completed in Kirkliston too so already happening. I moved to Winchburgh, West Lothian 4 years back 3,500 houses planned about 1,000 have already been built or are being built along with 2 secondary schools and a primary school. Unusually, there is a Development company which means that there is a plan eg a new motorway junction on the M9 plus schools and shops. Think only 600 of the houses are "affordable" to buy and fewer which will be available to rent which will be council or housing association

The whole thing is out of control and there will be massive problems in the future,

People renting need income to pay that rent.

Cost of renting, for an average worker, will make saving for a deposit impossible.

An average worker is almost certainly paying bare minimum towards a pension.

Pension will be too small to live on, for example won't be enough to pay rent.

With age health deteriorates, unable to work, unable to pay rent. 

What then? Social housing? Massive shortage already.

Social care? Massive shortage already - NI increases on way.

The average worker is basically ****ed.

44 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Literally thousands of houses planned for South Queensferry and hundreds of new houses completed in Kirkliston too so already happening. I moved to Winchburgh, West Lothian 4 years back 3,500 houses planned about 1,000 have already been built or are being built along with 2 secondary schools and a primary school. Unusually, there is a Development company which means that there is a plan eg a new motorway junction on the M9 plus schools and shops. Think only 600 of the houses are "affordable" to buy and fewer which will be available to rent which will be council or housing association

Do you reckon the motorway junction and new high school will happen? Developers do have a record of promising such things, then disappearing off the face of the earth.

Governor Tarkin
23 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

How many on here have actually used it in the last year though 

Probably not that many so best for it to be used for something else now 

There's been a lot going on the last year or so, bud, except between your ears.

5 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

There's been a lot going on the last year or so, bud, except between your ears.

Even so

i bet a lot of the people moaning about never go there 

2 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Even so

I've never been to the Amazon. 

Just cut it down, right?

32 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Twice a week minimum. It is aIways fairly busy especially peak times/nights and  rammed through the winter. 

Jeffros Furios
3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Even so

What about voyeurs ? 

57 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

:rofl:

24 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Even so

😂 I'd wager most folk have used it regularly for large chunks of their childhoods and adult lives. 

Even for those who don't use it any more it doesn't remove the need for the facilities. It's used for everything from under 5's through to pensioner football and disabled football. 

Much more important to the community than some money making scheme for some shifty London property development wanks. 

2 hours ago, Craig_ said:

Do you reckon the motorway junction and new high school will happen? Developers do have a record of promising such things, then disappearing off the face of the earth.

All three schools have roofs and glass in them due to open in 2023 , I think. First phase of 85 acre public park opens this month. Motorway junction  is approved and some preliminary works completed. Again I think it's about a year to 18 months until all phases are complete. Because there is a development company with private and public sector cash its coordinated and not left up to individual developers to provide community facilities. Only bug bear is the railway station which has no timescale as Scottish government are carrying out a review of the western approaches to Haymarket. Quite frustrating as there are two railway lines in Winchburgh.

1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Using this logic, we should demolish Tynecastle and build student accommodation. Tuned to the moon

Byyy The Light
3 hours ago, Lord BJ said:

Yeah I think you’ll, see areas begin to join up and the green belt filled in. It’s not inconceivable that somewhere like kirkliston, Newbridge and Ratho could almost all join up/become connected, You have houses coming down from riccarton which could go towards ratho and out towards the calders. 

I’ll be honest I have no idea where everyone is coming from for the housing demand.

Nobody can afford to buy anywhere in the City and every second flat is rented out through Air bnb so the number of long term rental property available is getting smaller and smaller.  The festival has had a massive part to play too.

The housing situation in Edinburgh is a joke.

On topic...very disappointed in Corn Exchange going. Been playing there pretty much on a weekly basis for about 20 years.  Apparently they were close to losing it a couple of times through the pandemic so they've obviously decided to cash in their chips now.  They've got the one down at Granton so I get it from their point of view but it's a travesty for the community to lose a facility like that.  Every pitch is pretty much booked up from 6pm to 11pm every night of the week and all day at the weekends.