Janey Godley

The Ultimate Worrier

15 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Ok, he's not a racist. I take it back and admit I was wrong.

He does tell jokes using black stereotypes to get a laugh though, the law says that's not racist so I was wrong.

I think his point is to highlight and ridicule the racist attitudes of so many people. In a similar way, the scripts of the 60s and 70s comedies, "'Til Death Do Us Part" and "Love Thy Neighbour" were designed in such a way that we were meant to laugh AT the racist/bigoted charachters, not WITH them. I think it sometimes backfired though, a lot of hard of understanding people thought Alf Garnett was hilarious. He was but not in the way they thought.

• Replies 450
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auldbenches

• JudyJudyJudy

• graygo

• Ron Burgundy

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Making reference to someone in humour who is dead is in poor taste whether you think it is or not.

You need to get a thicker skin or are you one of those people who gets up every morning looking to be offended, then go to bed at night offended as you haven't been offended whilst you were awake?

I haven't seen all her stage act, but what I have seen of her, she's as funny as a broken leg, as is Frankie Boyle imho. If you don't like my opinion, tough shit.

8 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

You need to get a thicker skin or are you one of those people who gets up every morning looking to be offended, then go to bed at night offended as you haven't been offended whilst you were awake?

I haven't seen all her stage act, but what I have seen of her, she's as funny as a broken leg, as is Frankie Boyle imho. If you don't like my opinion, tough shit.

Nailed it mate, clever as feck you are. 👍

been here before
35 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Uni professor: If you could kill anyone, who would it be.

Student: Hitler.

Uni professor: He's already dead.

Student: Shit. Didn't even know he was ill.

Aw c'mon man Hitlers dead. Making reference to someone in humour who is dead is in poor taste remember.

doctor jambo
8 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I've lost track of this thread. Is Janey Godley dead? Meh.

Her career is, that’s for sure

Samuel Camazzola
8 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Has anybody on here slating this Godley creature as being a crap comedian ever actually saw her act or do you think all she does is Nicola Sturgeon voiceovers? 

I wouldn't mind betting the same posters having a go at her for the horrible comments she made years ago lap up Frankie Boyle's patter.

ps, I think she's shite too but that's not my point.

I saw her in the Martin Compston series based in Dundee. It was an adaption of a Val McDermid book. She was pish in that. 

The Hogfather

I've never seen Enoch Powell deliver his "Rivers of Blood" speech, but I still think he was a massive bellend. Is that allowed?

2 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

I've never seen Enoch Powell deliver his "Rivers of Blood" speech, but I still think he was a massive bellend. Is that allowed?

It's a fair point, of course it's allowed.

I should have said "the recently departed" for the halfwits amongst us. Andy Fordham was a good guy and only died a couple of months ago, it was crass to use him as a figure of fun.

7 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

That tells us he was cleared of racism 10 years ago, my brother in law wasn't a vegetarian 10 years ago, he is now.

What’s he done in the last 10 years to suggest he is racist?

52 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

What’s he done in the last 10 years to suggest he is racist?

He made some "joke" about why Katie Price had to marry a cage fighter, to stop her son Harvey from fu**ing her.

Now you can argue whether that is racist or not but for me it is. 

Shanks said no
10 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Pretty common for a stand up comedian's live act to be completely different from what you'll see on BBC Scotland for obvious reasons.

I've never seen Jane Godley live, never will but my wife has and she said she was hilarious. 

I'd be interested to know what kind of "certain demographic" @JamesM48 thinks it is that my Mrs falls into.

I'll own up, I have seen her twice.

First time was a free BBC Radio show being recorded at the Festival. I had never heard of her and admit to being amused. She was obviously on her very best behaviour. I then read her autobiography and was shocked that people in Glasgow were brought up in those conditions in the 70's. My wife really liked her and wanted to see her again.

Second time was this years Fringe by the Sea where she was much more loud mouthed and playing to the audience more. I got the impression she thought she could get away with anything. The 2nd half of the show was her doing the voice-overs and it was truly awful, I couldn't wait to get back to the bar and we vowed never to waste a Fringe night out by going to NB again.

16 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I'll own up, I have seen her twice.

First time was a free BBC Radio show being recorded at the Festival. I had never heard of her and admit to being amused. She was obviously on her very best behaviour. I then read her autobiography and was shocked that people in Glasgow were brought up in those conditions in the 70's. My wife really liked her and wanted to see her again.

Second time was this years Fringe by the Sea where she was much more loud mouthed and playing to the audience more. I got the impression she thought she could get away with anything. The 2nd half of the show was her doing the voice-overs and it was truly awful, I couldn't wait to get back to the bar and we vowed never to waste a Fringe night out by going to NB again.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't go and see her. I'm just an argumentative bstard. I also like Frankie Boyle. 😄

Shanks said no
5 minutes ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't go and see her. I'm just an argumentative bstard. I also like Frankie Boyle. 😄

Like Boyle on TV when he delivers short sharp shocks, however I didn't like him live. 

Sadowitz on the other hand was utterly sensational live. 

6 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

He made some "joke" about why Katie Price had to marry a cage fighter, to stop her son Harvey from fu**ing her.

Not racist at all. 

Not funny either. 

Savage Vince

I'm not sure why you think that's racist? 

18 hours ago, OTT said:

Sturgeon offering support to Godley whose humour was just racist. Whilst offering nothing to Joanna Cherry who has been victim to threats no woman should have to deal with. 

Pretty much sums up Sturgeon to me.

I don’t much care what Godley was tweeting but the way Sturgeon is allowing a prominent member of her party and absolute credit to the independence cause to be treated is disgusting. 

How do you know she hasn't?

Maybe Cherry doesn't need to bleat to the papers about her "pal" to stay relevant.

I think Boyle and others set a tone for comedy that is seeing people getting sacked from their jobs.

Do I think Boyle dislikes disabled kids? No. But he uses one to make a joke. 
Same goes for all these lads in WhatsApp chats and social media who make racist, homophobic ‘jokes’. It’s all for shock value and more than likely not how they actually live their real lives. Same used to go for chats in the pub but now it’s all recorded for use against you later on. 

Perhaps 🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Probably because of the his own racial predujuices!

Edited by jambo89

18 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Pretty common for a stand up comedian's live act to be completely different from what you'll see on BBC Scotland for obvious reasons.

I've never seen Jane Godley live, never will but my wife has and she said she was hilarious. 

I'd be interested to know what kind of "certain demographic" @JamesM48 thinks it is that my Mrs falls into.

She didn't give a disclaimer any time I've seen her on tv.   If only she had said that her live stuff wasn't as excruciating I might not have missed out.  

Edited by Auldbenches

The Ultimate Worrier
23 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Has anybody on here slating this Godley creature as being a crap comedian ever actually saw her act or do you think all she does is Nicola Sturgeon voiceovers? 

I wouldn't mind betting the same posters having a go at her for the horrible comments she made years ago lap up Frankie Boyle's patter.

ps, I think she's shite too but that's not my point.

I've seen clips of her at various points. One is from her Fringe show a couple of years back when the highlight of the whole show seemed to be her calling Trump a ***** and getting the whole audience to shout "Trump is a *****". I can't stand Trump but I could call him a ***** from the comfort of my own home and would expect a bit more from a so called comedian.

The BBC Scotland Twitter page was always sharing her "comedy" for a while. In one of the clips she is reading (shouting) a piss poor joke about Bitcoin from a piece of paper she's holding in her hand. Despite having it written down she still manages to fluff her lines which I suppose is a talent in itself.

I've seen her a few times on Have I Got News for You where she has died on her arse each and every time because she is so far out of her depth. On a show where you have to think on your feet and have some quips ready about current affairs the faux Glesgae patter about "aw the Sandras and the soup pot" doesn't really cut it. She ends up just laughing loudly at the other people on the show just to let us know she's still there.

Heard her on BBC Scotland panel shows where she's just as bad even though she's playing to a "home" audience.

The voiceovers are what she is best known for, or at least they were until her career went into a nosedive so it's fair to judge her on them. They are absolutely horrendous.

17 hours ago, Awbdy Oot said:

Making reference to someone in humour who is dead is in poor taste whether you think it is or not.

Janey seems to think that comparing people to Chernobyl victims is funny...

2 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not racist at all. 

Not funny either. 

1 hour ago, Savage Vince said:

Like I said, you can argue whether it's racist or not, I'm not going to bother. The butt of the "joke" thought it was racist though.

Edited by Awbdy Oot

34 minutes ago, The Ultimate Worrier said:

I've seen clips of her at various points. One is from her Fringe show a couple of years back when the highlight of the whole show seemed to be her calling Trump a ***** and getting the whole audience to shout "Trump is a *****". I can't stand Trump but I could call him a ***** from the comfort of my own home and would expect a bit more from a so called comedian.

The BBC Scotland Twitter page was always sharing her "comedy" for a while. In one of the clips she is reading (shouting) a piss poor joke about Bitcoin from a piece of paper she's holding in her hand. Despite having it written down she still manages to fluff her lines which I suppose is a talent in itself.

I've seen her a few times on Have I Got News for You where she has died on her arse each and every time because she is so far out of her depth. On a show where you have to think on your feet and have some quips ready about current affairs the faux Glesgae patter about "aw the Sandras and the soup pot" doesn't really cut it. She ends up just laughing loudly at the other people on the show just to let us know she's still there.

Heard her on BBC Scotland panel shows where she's just as bad even though she's playing to a "home" audience.

The voiceovers are what she is best known for, or at least they were until her career went into a nosedive so it's fair to judge her on them. They are absolutely horrendous.

Janey seems to think that comparing people to Chernobyl victims is funny...

Another who has seen her 👍 your thoughts on her are valid.

I'm not buying this theory that you can't make a valid judgement on a comedian unless you've seen them live. I've not seen Chubby Brown but know enough about him and his material that I know he's a *****. 

1 minute ago, Tazio said:

I'm not buying this theory that you can't make a valid judgement on a comedian unless you've seen them live. I've not seen Chubby Brown but know enough about him and his material that I know he's a *****. 

Valid thought confirmation from someone who’s thought process is deeply flawed. What a world we live in. 

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

Chubby Brown was quite funny on his day tbf.  

Everyone is different tho  Some people for example actually find Eddie Izzard, Jack Dee, Reeves and Mortimer, Russell Howard and Stewart Lee funny.  Horrendous stuff to me.

I like blue comedy and highly offensive.

Edited by i8hibsh

SectionDJambo
2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I once had the misfortune to be asked to join a group of friends to see Chubby Brown in Edinburgh. It was horrific. Just a swearfest and completely not, for me, funny in the slightest. To make it worse, the audience had a fair amount of absolute helmets in it, which actually had me fearing for my safety. They were in hysterics at anything he said, which was mainly shouting abusive opinion about sections of society he had a problem with.

I find myself being embarrassed watching Janey Godley on television, in case people watching from other areas within the UK think she is typical of what we think is funny. I take no pleasure from her, probably temporary, demise other than to be glad that she isn't going to appear on national television any time soon.

Sawdust Caesar
1 hour ago, SectionDJambo said:

I once had the misfortune to be asked to join a group of friends to see Chubby Brown in Edinburgh. It was horrific. Just a swearfest and completely not, for me, funny in the slightest. To make it worse, the audience had a fair amount of absolute helmets in it, which actually had me fearing for my safety. They were in hysterics at anything he said, which was mainly shouting abusive opinion about sections of society he had a problem with.

I find myself being embarrassed watching Janey Godley on television, in case people watching from other areas within the UK think she is typical of what we think is funny. I take no pleasure from her, probably temporary, demise other than to be glad that she isn't going to appear on national television any time soon.

Totally agree about some of the crowd who go to see Chubby Brown. I worked in the Playhouse in the early 90s and at the time female staff had to wear skirts as part of their uniform. Anytime Chubby was playing the females were advised to wear trousers instead of skirts, or not work that shift, due to the awful behaviour of some of his fans towards the female staff. I'd heard from a few of them that it wasn't uncommon for them to get groped or had their bums slapped by pissed up Richard Craniums.

51 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Totally agree about some of the crowd who go to see Chubby Brown. I worked in the Playhouse in the early 90s and at the time female staff had to wear skirts as part of their uniform. Anytime Chubby was playing the females were advised to wear trousers instead of skirts, or not work that shift, due to the awful behaviour of some of his fans towards the female staff. I'd heard from a few of them that it wasn't uncommon for them to get groped or had their bums slapped by pissed up Richard Craniums.

Probably the same people that will sit and watch re-runs of The Comedians or Wheeltappers and Shunters on You Tube thinking it's cutting edge comedy. Chubby Brown you can file under Bernard Manning, Jim Davidson etc.............oh, and Janey feckin Godley too.

59 minutes ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Because after all what could be a nicer evening for the female staff of being in a room with a bunch of pissed up men wetting themselves laughing at jokes about violence towards women. 

11 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Chubby Brown was quite funny on his day tbf.  

Everyone is different tho  Some people for example actually find Eddie Izzard, Jack Dee, Reeves and Mortimer, Russell Howard and Stewart Lee funny.  Horrendous stuff to me.

I like blue comedy and highly offensive.

Did his day coincide with you being about 11? His audience is the brain dead and wee boys.

I would rather watch a female comedian than him. 

4 hours ago, Herbert said:

I would rather watch a female comedian than him. 

You have taken that too far.

2 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

You have taken that too far.

I know there's only so long you can listen to a woman "comedian" go on about men,periods, chocolate and kids.

McGlynn The Money
On 06/10/2021 at 14:33, milky_26 said:

you do realise that comedians use things like HIGNFY and other panel shows to showcase selections of their acts

Hopefully she'll never be invited back now. Not that she contributed anything to it.

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

In Hospital getting treated for Ovarian Cancer. Cancelled the last week of her tour.

All the best to her. Hope she recovers and comes back strong. 

• 4 months later...
The Ultimate Worrier

Oor Janey was interviewed on Scotland Tonight yesterday. Given her language I still don't think she gets it and doesn't think she did anything wrong. Basically "I'm not a racist so folk should have know that when I said all that racist stuff". 

Definitely after sympathy and trying to get her career back. No coincidence that she's a book out soon and a tour to promote.

The only thing she's sorry about is getting caught.

JudyJudyJudy
59 minutes ago, The Ultimate Worrier said:

Oor Janey was interviewed on Scotland Tonight yesterday. Given her language I still don't think she gets it and doesn't think she did anything wrong. Basically "I'm not a racist so folk should have know that when I said all that racist stuff". 

Definitely after sympathy and trying to get her career back. No coincidence that she's a book out soon and a tour to promote.

She’s a vile person . And even worse completely unfunny . Appeals to a certain demographic it seems 

been here before
8 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

She’s a vile person . And even worse completely unfunny . Appeals to a certain demographic it seems 

Thats no fair.

If it hadnt been for her side splittingly funny Nicola Sturgeon voiceovers about shoes and hair, all delivered in that exagerated whiney weegie accent, Im not sure I would have made it through lockdown. She was a bright light shining in a very dark tunnel.

Im sure Im not alone in thinking that.

1 hour ago, The Ultimate Worrier said:

Horrific woman. I thought she had disappeared from the limelight. Disappointed to hear that isn't the case.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, been here before said:

Thats no fair.

If it hadnt been for her side splittingly funny Nicola Sturgeon voiceovers about shoes and hair, all delivered in that exagerated whiney weegie accent, Im not sure I would have made it through lockdown. She was a bright light shining in a very dark tunnel.

Im sure Im not alone in thinking that.

😂😂😂

12 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Horrific woman. I thought she had disappeared from the limelight. Disappointed to hear that isn't the case.

I agree. That Janey isn’t much better. 

1 hour ago, The Ultimate Worrier said:

I saw it too and she was very apologetic about it, said she will carry the shame to her grave. I must have watched a different interview to the one you saw.

Салатные палочки
17 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I agree. That Janey isn’t much better. 

:naughty:

Tommy Brown
7 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Is Bernard Ponsonby not the political reporter for STV? Why would he be interviewing a "comedian"‽

he shared a Scotland Tonight show with JG throughout lockdown, or until her tweets became public.

Ainsley Harriott

Jane is an absolute ***** of a human and a comedian in the loosest sense. Sorry but being unwell doesn't suddenly make someone a nice person.

20 minutes ago, Jonkel Hoon said:

Is Bernard Ponsonby not the political reporter for STV? Why would he be interviewing a "comedian"‽

Well...he does that normally !

Politicians..comedians ?

Much of a muchness !