• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Auldbenches

• JudyJudyJudy

• graygo

• Ron Burgundy

1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

She’s brought this on herself. I was completely unaware of her pre covid but it seems folk have been pointing her vile views out for years and been getting piled on in response. Racism is abhorrent but so is blind nationalism like yours.  

Have seen things being pointed out a few times about her in the past, however pile ons were mostly Rangers fans getting called out for sharing fake tweets suggesting she'd said even worse things. You'd have thought though that after having some fake ones do the rounds she'd have had the common sense to remove the old ones. 

Looking at the tweets and context from what i have seen in the paper I'm not necessarily convinced her comments/views were from a position of vile hatred. They were not politically correct and belittled people for how they looked and/or sections of society. It looks/sounds very immature and low brow humour and i think it's important to keep that in perspective.

Edit -

That said - she's being punished and called out for it which is right. She's apologised for it which is also the right thing to do. 

There is a level of irony IMO that a lot of people who are attacking Godley would have called this takedown political correctness gone mad.  Having seen a number of the things that have come out it looks like there's a lot of non SNP supporters and Rangers fans who are going for the jugular. 

So general conclusion - marmite (not very good) comedienne taken down by a twitter pile on mostly by some hypocrites.

Edited by Mysterion
additional comment added.

10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Not sure what you're referring to, Ron? He signed an open letter against Humza's hate bill, FWIW.

Some folk are suggesting that Janey shouldn't be punished for her offensive stuff as she's a "comedian".

I'm saying that if a comedian aligns itself with a political party that wants to do away with freedom of speech then they set themselves up.

Not having a go at RA.

2 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Have seen things being pointed out a few times about her in the past, however pile ons were mostly Rangers fans getting called out for sharing fake tweets suggesting she'd said even worse things. You'd have thought though that after having some fake ones do the rounds she'd have had the common sense to remove the old ones. 

Looking at the tweets and context from what i have seen in the paper I'm not necessarily convinced her comments/views were from a position of vile hatred. They were not politically correct and belittled people for how they looked and/or sections of society. It looks/sounds very immature and low brow humour and i think it's important to keep that in perspective.

There is a level of irony IMO that a lot of people who are attacking Godley would have called this takedown political correctness gone mad.  Having seen a number of the things that have come out it looks like there's a lot of non SNP supporters and Rangers fans who are going for the jugular. 

So general conclusion - marmite (not very good) comedienne taken down by a twitter pile on mostly by some hypocrites.

I won’t deny my hatred for that advert has clouded my judgment on her. Some of the things she’s said I’ve probably said in my younger years. To have a go and try defend her on a political stance is madness. 

HartleyLegend3
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I disagree, I think comedians should be able to joke about most things. It becomes an issue when they align themselves to political parties or causes and then they are fair game IMO.

I think you will find most are aligned politically. Most on the left playing the dumb right. 

But in truth, the sick stuff they come out with. All of them. Jail the lot. Being a comedian should be viewed as a hate crime. 

Edited by HartleyLegend3

1 hour ago, Brown Stuff 74 said:

Don't even know where to begin with this. You reckon the behaviour of Godley or Salmond among others is an issue because people are too "light hearted"? 

I have made my views on Godley pretty clear on this thread she had nothing to apologise for. As for Alex Salmond the bullying accusations haven’t been proved i any inquiry or court in this land. In fact many were happy to work under him and with him when he had the reigns. Of course he had his methods and ran a pretty tight ship but bullying? Nah. Seems like some scorned arseholes who couldn’t handle the heat decided to Make up false stuff about him IMO. 

16 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

She may be signing on pretty sharpish because her career will now be down the shitter. 

Her HIGNFY appearance was totally embarrassing and I must admit I'd never heard of her until that appearance. 

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

She’s finished unless she reinvents herself as some mental health guru / redemption story thing 

Malinga the Swinga

I believe NS has come out in support of  way that she handled apology saying it was dignified.

Think you can rule out investigation.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

I have made my views on Godley pretty clear on this thread she had nothing to apologise for. As for Alex Salmond the bullying accusations haven’t been proved i any inquiry or court in this land. In fact many were happy to work under him and with him when he had the reigns. Of course he had his methods and ran a pretty tight ship but bullying? Nah. Seems like some scorned arseholes who couldn’t handle the heat decided to Make up false stuff about him IMO. 

If she has nothing to apologise for, then why has she? 

3 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

If she has nothing to apologise for, then why has she? 

Pressure and the risk of being cancelled by arseholes. 

Got the heave from her panto gig now.

Janey: "Where's ma career?"

Audience: "It's behind you!"

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/breaking-comedian-janey-godley-withdraws-from-aberdeen-pantomime-by-mutual-consent/

7 hours ago, jonesy said:

Comes across as done for comedic effect (i.e. the daughter getting frustrated with her) rather than out and out prejudice, TBH. Whether its funny is, I suppose, completely subjective. But it's hardly a hate-filled rant.

I'm pleased someone else is at least trying to see what's going on there. 

Just now, jonesy said:

I just wish I could rewind time and wipe her honking 'patter'. And TBF, I've called friends worse.

Her patter is indeed honking. As is the mock outrage on this thread. 

26 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Now, if she'd had a go at transgender black people, that'd probably be quite a different matter in Sturgeon's book.

5446175B-33A6-414A-B359-77EC6EF94AA0.gif

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Well, if there’s one thing this thread has taught me, is I should probably avoid making any kind of Zeefuik joke here.

Oh come he was big but he wasn’t that big ! Oh happy memory brought back there . That Cowdenbeath game 

Brown Stuff 74
4 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Salmond described by his own QC as a sex pest, a bully and a creep. Nevermind the 9 women who were prepared to go to court. This was sadly the culture of thr party and salmond had carte blanched. Several others were also charged with similar indiscretions. Godley has apologised but you still defend her. Your attitude is deeply worrying and offensive to the victims. 

5 minutes ago, Brown Stuff 74 said:

Salmond described by his own QC as a sex pest, a bully and a creep. Nevermind the 9 women who were prepared to go to court. This was sadly the culture of thr party and salmond had carte blanched. Several others were also charged with similar indiscretions. Godley has apologised but you still defend her. Your attitude is deeply worrying and offensive to the victims. 

What victims? Salmond is a free and innocent man. 

11 minutes ago, Brown Stuff 74 said:

I'm sure the victims here will transgress JKB's "offensive attitude".. :lol:

8 minutes ago, Brown Stuff 74 said:

Were 9 women lying? 

A majority female dury plus female judge proceeding found the accusations “not proven” which is as close to innocent as one can be in Scotland.  He has been found guilty of nothing. Not only that but they threw the full weight of the legal system behind them and still couldn’t convict him. The media went after him as well and guess what? Still “not Proven” The women involved didn’t even want the charges against Salmond to go ahead. I believe he was inappropriate against some women. How inappropriate we will never know I suppose but clearly not illegal. And yes I believe many lies were told to try and get him. 

Salmond has been through enough and I admire him and treat him like the innocent man that he deserves to be. If he can’t rebuild his life after going through a “fair” legal trial then wtf is the point in it all?

3 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

A majority female dury plus female judge proceeding found the accusations “not proven” which is as close to innocent as one can be in Scotland.  He has been found guilty of nothing. Not only that but they threw the full weight of the legal system behind them and still couldn’t convict him. The media went after him as well and guess what? Still “not Proven” The women involved didn’t even want the charges against Salmond to go ahead. I believe he was inappropriate against some women. How inappropriate we will never know I suppose but clearly not illegal. And yes I believe many lies were told to try and get him. 

Salmond has been through enough and I admire him and treat him like the innocent man that he deserves to be. If he can’t rebuild his life after going through a “fair” legal trial then wtf is the point in it all?

Well said 

Brown Stuff 74
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

" I believe he was inappropriate against some women." At least we've moved on from blaming the women themselves for being too light hearted

Brown Stuff 74

Furthermore we are now arguing whether he was a rapist, a sex pest , a creep or a bully. Take your pic but says more about you. My orinignal point was about the culture of bullying. 

Furthermore we are now arguing whether he was a rapist, a sex pest , a creep or a bully. Take your pic but says more about you. My orinignal point was about the culture of bullying. 

He's no Prince Andrew!

queensferryjambo
15 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

'Jock' is almost exclusively used in a derogatory manner.

Really? I have always seen it as a jovial nickname for Scottish people. If someone called me a Jock in normal polite conversation (the context of how anything is said of course makes all the difference) I honestly don't think I would care less or even really notice.

I honestly have always thought of it in the same context as Cockneys, Brummies, Mancs, Scousers etc

Either way there are a lot worse things I can think of that I have been called :)

queensferryjambo

Oh and on topic - I just don't find Janey Godley funny in the slightest. 

I think her comedy is based on the assumption that if she shouts things that are clearly not funny in an angry manner it then makes them funny. Sorry it doesn't Janey.

That's your yardstick 🤣

I don't have a yardstick. Measuring something is the beholder's issue. Hypocrisy and the British state is always up for question.

Brown Stuff 74
3 hours ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I don't have a yardstick. Measuring something is the beholder's issue. Hypocrisy and the British state is always up for question.

There's a massive difference between blindly following sex pests, bullies and wanting independence. Let's make an indy Scotland one which flies in the face of the Westminster tyranny, FPTP voting system and gets behind one which is inclusive and democratic. Stop wasting your time defending ego maniacs who abuse the trust of their immediate peers and get behind a progressive independent Scotland. 

Edited by Brown Stuff 74

5 hours ago, Brown Stuff 74 said:

There's a massive difference between blindly following sex pests, bullies and wanting independence. Let's make an indy Scotland one which flies in the face of the Westminster tyranny, FPTP voting system and gets behind one which is inclusive and democratic. Stop wasting your time defending ego maniacs who abuse the trust of their immediate peers and get behind a progressive independent Scotland. 

Good post.  People think that you're only interested in independence for nationalist reasons when it's down to a more modern, inclusive democracy. 

I wouldn't be as bothered if they were to change the Westminster voting system but there's no chance of that. 

19 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That's Michael O'Leary's wet dream, that photo.

Just add in a few scratch cards.

and a second level to pack more people in

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

Good post.  People think that you're only interested in independence for nationalist reasons when it's down to a more modern, inclusive democracy. 

I wouldn't be as bothered if they were to change the Westminster voting system but there's no chance of that. 

It might work, if only our politicians weren’t the same ineffective , greedy wasters as they are everywhere else, and Scots were different to the other people of the world .

Sadly, neither is so.

11 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

It might work, if only our politicians weren’t the same ineffective , greedy wasters as they are everywhere else, and Scots were different to the other people of the world .

Sadly, neither is so.

I also thought it might work until the Salmond case.  Not pro salmond in anyway, but it did show that our politicians are just the same.  That case was pathetically more about politics than justice.  

Nothing really changes until we find an alternative to political parties.  

The Ultimate Worrier
On 10/09/2021 at 12:48, AlimOzturk said:

Part of her act and persona. Shit as it is. 

Was it though? I think part of the reason that people dislike her so much is her sheer, rank hypocrisy.

One of her main claims to fame, and something that she milked for every drop she could get out of it, was her "protest" against Donald Trump. She even called him out for being a racist as well as brandishing her "Trump is a *****" sign which she is still trying to get mileage out of. I dislike Trump even more than I dislike Janey Godley but how can she call him out for racist remarks or for mocking the disabled when she has made similar or even worse comments?

I honestly think that for a while she considered becoming a female version of Sadowitz or Boyle. She then saw a niche in the pro Indy, anti Tory sphere in Scotland. This despite the fact that she was a card carrying, Thatcher loving Tory in the 80s despite the havoc they were wreaking on Scotland.

The Yes movement in general fell for it and she was able to worm her way in via appearances at rallies and those ****ing awful voiceovers. The Scottish Government and Nicola Sturgeon made a huge blunder when they started acknowledging her and NS even referred to her as her alter ego. Letting her anywhere near that Covid advert was a massive blunder and even yesterday NS should have distanced herself more instead of repeating Godley's laughable excuse for her actions.

I don't like to see anyone being picked on but at the end of the day it's only social media. Godley could easily just log off for a while but she is so desperate for attention that she can't bring herself to do it. What's happening to her is what she has done to loads of other people and she is well known for hiding behind other accounts and unleashing even more vitriol from them.

If anyone says she's not funny then they are a "misogynist, right wing, flag shagging unionist". Ironic that she uses the misogynist argument when she has been exposed as making disgraceful remarks about other women, especially the physical appearance of other women. Where does that fit in with her feminist and anti bullying stance?

She is a hypocrite of the highest order, a racist bully and her patter is absolutely ****ing honking. Hopefully she never darkens our screens again.

Edited by The Ultimate Worrier

15 minutes ago, The Ultimate Worrier said:

Was it though? I think part of the reason that people dislike her so much is her sheer, rank hypocrisy.

One of her main claims to fame, and something that she milked for every drop she could get out of it, was her "protest" against Donald Trump. She even called him out for being a racist as well as brandishing her "Trump is a *****" sign which she is still trying to get mileage out of. I dislike Trump even more than I dislike Janey Godley but how can she call him out for racist remarks or for mocking the disabled when she has made similar or even worse comments?

I honestly think that for a while she considered becoming a female version of Sadowitz or Boyle. She then saw a niche in the pro Indy, anti Tory sphere in Scotland. This despite the fact that she was a card carrying, Thatcher loving Tory in the 80s despite the havoc they were wreaking on Scotland.

The Yes movement in general fell for it and she was able to worm her way in via appearances at rallies and those ****ing awful voiceovers. The Scottish Government and Nicola Sturgeon made a huge blunder when they started acknowledging her and NS even referred to her as her alter ego. Letting her anywhere near that Covid advert was a massive blunder and even yesterday NS should have distanced herself more instead of repeating Godley's laughable excuse for her actions.

I don't like to see anyone being picked on but at the end of the day it's only social media. Godley could easily just log off for a while but she is so desperate for attention that she can't bring herself to do it. What's happening to her is what she has done to loads of other people and she is well known for hiding behind other accounts and unleashing even more vitriol from them.

If anyone says she's not funny then they are a "misogynist, right wing, flag shagging unionist". Ironic that she uses the misogynist argument when she has been exposed as making disgraceful remarks about other women, especially the physical appearance of other women. Where does that fit in with her feminist and anti bullying stance?

She is a hypocrite of the highest order, a racist bully and her patter is absolutely ****ing honking. Hopefully she never darkens our screens again.

You really think Godley has shown worse racism than Trump ?

What has she said ?

Has she been sued for racial discrimination, called for a Muslim ban on entering the UK or claimed Mexicans are rapist drug dealers ?

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

I see another prominent Independence supporter, Michael Stewart has decided that the best way to defend Godley is to criticise Rangers supporters. 

What an arse Stewart is if he thinks this is a threat to independence, which he probably does.

I see the daily record are still not reporting anything to do with this.  Does she have a regular article with them or racism just doesn't matter to them?  

Brown Stuff 74
3 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Thanks mate. That's always been my motivation for independence. Unfortunately there are clearly some staunch nationalists who want an indy Scotland no matter what form it takes. Even to the point the behaviour of our representatives in government are swept under the carpet. In 2014 we were heading towards a Scotland deep seated in a culture of bullying, sexual impropriety and a relaxation of tax rules for corporations that would make the Cayman Islands blush. There has been a better tone since some of the bullies have been weeded out but we've gone from an immoral government to a completely incompetent one e.g. Failures over Education, drugs deaths and to have a robust process the 9 women were so badly let down by. 

52 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well that hasn’t aged well 

091EBE96-2A94-4DF6-9DEF-AA84125ACA90.jpeg

'Yous' af tae vote humza'.  Sometimes it's difficult to avoid the Scottish cringe. 

1 minute ago, Auldbenches said:

'Yous' af tae vote humza'.  Sometimes it's difficult to avoid the Scottish cringe. 

Oh I know 😂

1 minute ago, Brown Stuff 74 said:

Thanks mate. That's always been my motivation for independence. Unfortunately there are clearly some staunch nationalists who want an indy Scotland no matter what form it takes. Even to the point the behaviour of our representatives in government are swept under the carpet. In 2014 we were heading towards a Scotland deep seated in a culture of bullying, sexual impropriety and a relaxation of tax rules for corporations that would make the Cayman Islands blush. There has been a better tone since some of the bullies have been weeded out but we've gone from an immoral government to a completely incompetent one e.g. Failures over Education, drugs deaths and to have a robust process the 9 women were so badly let down by. 

This is one issue where there could be non stop whataboutery.  It's politicians we are talking about. 

Anything we can accuse one part of, the others will have done the same.

The greens up here as same as the liberals and the snp showing they are the same as the Tories when it comes to the dark arts.  

Until we look at changing from a representative system to a delegation one, they will always be at it.

Corbyn promised a more direct democracy and we heard about how he changed things within his party. 

Sturgeon promised a nationalised energy company to provide affordable energy and two years later it has just been forgotten about.

Pick a card when it comes to the Tories and lying.

Not one can be trusted to put the people who voted them in before the party. 

Antiquated shite that needs changed in these modern times.