Auto Trader

communist

Anyone used it for selling a car recently?

Found the cost to advertise, a bit expensive but went for it anyway. Hoping it’s worth it.

I’ve used Gumtree as well in the past (and currently) but it seems a magnet for time wasters and I always get nuisance calls from 3rd party companies after posting on there. 

Any other recommendations of where to advertise it? 

1 minute ago, Pap said:

What was that yellow paper that was for selling stuff a good few years back? Late 90's - early 00's.

Was it the exchange and mart?

2 minutes ago, Pap said:

What was that yellow paper that was for selling stuff a good few years back? Late 90's - early 00's.

Was it not just called ad trader? 

Advertised my wife's car on both Autotrader and Gumtree a couple of months ago. The car sold within a week from someone on Gumtree who travelled from Cupar to Edinburgh to pick up the car. I chose to only use the contact by email option on Gumtree and didn't receive many time wasters tbh.

Used it once and never got a single bit interest. I was selling a performance car during the start of lock down so that didn't help. Put it on gumtree and just got arseholes making ridiculous offers and several phone calls a day from some Indian bloke telling me about a crash Id been involved in. Ended up selling it to WBAC, took a slight hit on the price but it really is hassle free.

I saw my car on the Autotrader website 20 years ago. I traveled to Brighton to get it.

I've still got it and it's my only car 👍 Now 27 years old and still going strong.

We've just got a used car from a dealership. Apparently there is a a real shortage of used cars at the moment and Dealers were advised to put their prices up last week across the board. Assuming your cars in decent nick, dont be shy at putting it on at a strong price 

highlandjambo3

Bought a second hand Mazda CX 5 in January, only 2 years old.  I decided to put the reg into “wee buy any car” just to see what ridicules price they would offer me……

£1600 more than I paid for it so, I’d assume they will knock that right down when I do appear with the car as they’re assuming I need to sell?

ps I’m not selling, just curious.

10 hours ago, communist said:

Anyone used it for selling a car recently?

Found the cost to advertise, a bit expensive but went for it anyway. Hoping it’s worth it.

I’ve used Gumtree as well in the past (and currently) but it seems a magnet for time wasters and I always get nuisance calls from 3rd party companies after posting on there

Any other recommendations of where to advertise it? 

Don't quite get why they would contact you. What about?

Sold an old car a couple of years ago. Never got a sniff from Autotrader, but Found a buyer from Gumtree - did however also get some lowball offers from traders seeking to flip it. 

Sold a couple of my cars recently. One to Arnold Clark and one to WBAC. Neither of them drove the car so if you have any issues I would recommend this. They look at bodywork and alloys/tyres. Turn the engine on and check no warning lights on dash. That's about it. Slightly lower price than sites suggest for private sale, but no advertising costs or timewasters and money comes through quickly.

1 hour ago, mrcrisps said:

Sold a couple of my cars recently. One to Arnold Clark and one to WBAC. Neither of them drove the car so if you have any issues I would recommend this. They look at bodywork and alloys/tyres. Turn the engine on and check no warning lights on dash. That's about it. Slightly lower price than sites suggest for private sale, but no advertising costs or timewasters and money comes through quickly.

thanks, I’ll maybe give them a go, i didn’t bother as i suspected their prices would be similar to we buy any car, which is about half the value of the car.

car doesn’t have any issues so I’m not in a hurry to sell it.

4 hours ago, EH11_2NL said:

Don't quite get why they would contact you. What about?

Usually life insurance, PPI or the ‘accident I was involved in’. I suspect there are probably just bots sweeping these sites for free contact numbers for suspect call centres. 

I’ve sold a few things on Gumtree over the years and anything decent always seems to attract chancers and scam replies. The usual being asking if you’ll take a PayPal payment. 
A number of years ago I bought a car off someone I worked with for the huge price of £50! Just as a temporary measure as my car had been stolen and I was waiting for the insurance pay out. A couple of months later I put it on Gumtree for £80, someone called and said they’d take it. When he turned up he said he’d thought about the price and offered me £35!! This was with six moths MOT and a couple of months of tax still on it. When I told him to bugger off he stood outside my house shouting that I was a cheat and a liar. In the end I sold it to a young African nurse who obviously liked it as I saw it two years later in Dumfries looking better than when I’d sold it to her. 

On 09/09/2021 at 13:58, Section N Rules said:

Used it once and never got a single bit interest. I was selling a performance car during the start of lock down so that didn't help. Put it on gumtree and just got arseholes making ridiculous offers and several phone calls a day from some Indian bloke telling me about a crash Id been involved in. Ended up selling it to WBAC, took a slight hit on the price but it really is hassle free.

I assume that the crash wasn't your fault? In which case, would you mind if I take a few details? :biglaugh: