Newcastle Hearts

Heart of Darkness

Heart of Darkness

I have a running race on Sunday morning in Newcastle. 

Can anyone recommend any pubs in the city centre that would be good to watch the game and might even have some Newcastle based Hearts fans!!

Thanks. 👌

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heatonjambo

• stuckinsunderland

• Heart of Darkness

• brawlad74

Heart of Darkness
2 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

Not the city centre but the Turks head in Tynemouth usually plays Scottish games in the back bar

Going down with the wife and was hoping to get the race finished, in a pub for the game and a bite to eat before 6pm train home again! So ideally somewhere central. 

Thanks H. 👍

As there no premier league game on at the same time as the derby you would probably get any bar to put it on for you. 

Opposite the station you should try the waiting rooms 

good craft ales there

Edited by heatonjambo
Spelling

2 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

As there no premier league game on at the same time you would probably get any bar to put it on 

Opposite  the station try the waiting rooms 

good craft ales there

100%  great shout 👍

Heart of Darkness
44 minutes ago, jimmy51 said:

be on in any of the sports bars 

Cheers J51

44 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

As there no premier league game on at the same time as the derby you would probably get any bar to put it on for you. 

Opposite the station you should try the waiting rooms 

good craft ales there

You sold it with the good craft ales!! 😋

Being a 12 noon kick off, is this going to be an issue for the OP reagarding pub opening  times?

Lost track up here if pubs still don't open until 12.30 up here.

3 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Being a 12 noon kick off, is this going to be an issue for the OP reagarding pub opening  times?

By up here are you meaning Scotland, as OP is about Newcastle?  Scotland still has this mad 12.30 opening on Sundays I think but no idea about England.

Heart of Darkness
7 hours ago, iainmac said:

Pretty sure The Centurion right next door to the station has a projector & big screen for televising the games.

👍

Heart of Darkness
10 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Never thought about that 😳

Heart of Darkness
6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

By up here are you meaning Scotland, as OP is about Newcastle?  Scotland still has this mad 12.30 opening on Sundays I think but no idea about England.

I'll either run slower so I'm not hanging about or I'll get some breakfast and wait until they start serving beer!! 😃

Pubs will be open, Centurion, waiting rooms all close to station will show it for sure. The crows nest up at Haymarket will show it too, this is where i usually watch in toon, will not be around this time unfortunately. Any bar with a tv will be showing it as nowt else on.

Not sure there is a group anymore who watch games, used to be quite a few of us but it all petered out.

portobellojambo1
24 minutes ago, Heart of Darkness said:

I'll either run slower so I'm not hanging about or I'll get some breakfast and wait until they start serving beer!! 😃

The two Newcastle pubs mentioned in this thread, The Waiting Rooms and the Centurion open at 12:00 lunchtime and 10 am respectively on a Sunday.

stuckinsunderland

Haven't really been in town much since being sent home from the office 18 months ago, so not really sure what is happening.

Having said that, I've managed to get Waiting Rooms to put Hearts games on for me before, usually without sound until i complain repeatedly and sometimes in a back room somewhere.  It used to be a Wetherspoons but i heard a rumour it's not now!  Only time I've asked in the Centurion they looked at me like an alien but that was a midweek evening game I would imagine that a Sunday lunchtime might be different.

There was a conversation on here a few years ago trying to get something organised for a few to meet up but it never really got anywhere which is a shame.

stuckinsunderland

On a related note, I've asked Champs in Washington if they will be able to show it, reply below... I pointed out that the Spurs game is the day before.  I'll probably go there as it's about 15 mins walk for me and a wide selection of beers

"The Spurs game is on at 12:30 so it is likely the commentary will be on for that…..however if no one is interested in that game I am sure they will put the sound on for the hearts game"

6 minutes ago, stuckinsunderland said:

On a related note, I've asked Champs in Washington if they will be able to show it, reply below... I pointed out that the Spurs game is the day before.  I'll probably go there as it's about 15 mins walk for me and a wide selection of beers

"The Spurs game is on at 12:30 so it is likely the commentary will be on for that…..however if no one is interested in that game I am sure they will put the sound on for the hearts game"

Spurs is Saturday we are Sunday

Edit, didn't read your post properly :jj_facepalm:

Edited by Section N Rules

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

Slightly off topic . Pubs in Scotland are allowed to open before 12.30 on a Sunday

County Durham Hearts
1 hour ago, stuckinsunderland said:

I used to watch games in Chevvy's quite a bit, don't even know if still open or not, 

County Durham Hearts
1 hour ago, stuckinsunderland said:

Or is Chevvy's now known as Champs Bar as not been in for a good few years, usually stick to up at Consett or Chester-le-street if watching in a pub now. Sunday's one will be in the house.

stuckinsunderland
1 hour ago, County Durham Hearts said:

Or is Chevvy's now known as Champs Bar as not been in for a good few years, usually stick to up at Consett or Chester-le-street if watching in a pub now. Sunday's one will be in the house.

yeah same place.  Never went when it was Chevvy's as we had just moved here.  I believe it had a certain reputation! nicknamed last chance saloon I believe.

Heart of Darkness
4 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

The two Newcastle pubs mentioned in this thread, The Waiting Rooms and the Centurion open at 12:00 lunchtime and 10 am respectively on a Sunday.

Thanks Portie! I appreciate your info. 👌

Heart of Darkness
4 hours ago, stuckinsunderland said:

Haven't really been in town much since being sent home from the office 18 months ago, so not really sure what is happening.

Having said that, I've managed to get Waiting Rooms to put Hearts games on for me before, usually without sound until i complain repeatedly and sometimes in a back room somewhere.  It used to be a Wetherspoons but i heard a rumour it's not now!  Only time I've asked in the Centurion they looked at me like an alien but that was a midweek evening game I would imagine that a Sunday lunchtime might be different.

There was a conversation on here a few years ago trying to get something organised for a few to meet up but it never really got anywhere which is a shame.

👍

Heart of Darkness
4 hours ago, Section N Rules said:

9 Bar at St James will have it on. As no other games are on at that time I don't think you'll have a problem finding a pub that will show it.

Cheers SNR 👍

The wife was more worried about finding a place to eat with it going to be so busy. 😬

County Durham Hearts
50 minutes ago, stuckinsunderland said:

yeah same place.  Never went when it was Chevvy's as we had just moved here.  I believe it had a certain reputation! nicknamed last chance saloon I believe.

Aye, was always a bit like that, but a cracking boozer nonetheless. 

4 hours ago, stuckinsunderland said:

Think you are thinking of the union rooms, it is now some shit place with shit beer and no football. The waiting rooms used to be the long bar just across the road from the union rooms.

Anyway any bar will be showing it as nothing much else on. 

28 minutes ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Cheers SNR 👍

The wife was more worried about finding a place to eat with it going to be so busy. 😬

The food from 9 bar is actually no too bad,  nothing fancy but good.

stuckinsunderland
38 minutes ago, cheetah said:

Think you are thinking of the union rooms, it is now some shit place with shit beer and no football. The waiting rooms used to be the long bar just across the road from the union rooms.

Anyway any bar will be showing it as nothing much else on. 

yep! you're absolutely right.

Last time i was in the Long Bar it had one of those spin the wheel things. ordered a round and ended up with 2 pints for each of us, 10 pints between 5 of us, would've been fine if we weren't in a hurry and it being lunchtime!

Remember Newcastle will be busy on Sunday as there’s the Great North Run a big charity run that day.

Look out for No.1874 and the lass should be running in a Hearts top.

Edited by mitch41

6 minutes ago, stuckinsunderland said:

yep! you're absolutely right.

Last time i was in the Long Bar it had one of those spin the wheel things. ordered a round and ended up with 2 pints for each of us, 10 pints between 5 of us, would've been fine if we weren't in a hurry and it being lunchtime!

Ha ha bet you scoffed them though, remember the wheel was never that fortunate

7 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

if you want to do the cool thing, have a beer in the waiting rroms, head of steam and Newcastle tap.

all 3 are on the site of the old long bar in the get Carter movie.

Newcastle tap does good pizzas

6 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Remember Newcastle will be busy on Sunday as there’s a big charity run that day.

He knows!

his opening post said he was going down for a small run!!

worlds biggest half marathon 😀

6 hours ago, john thomas said:

Slightly off topic . Pubs in Scotland are allowed to open before 12.30 on a Sunday

Cheers

As I said, I had lost track of Sunday  opening hours. I remember it being a problem in the past.

Heart of Darkness
7 hours ago, Section N Rules said:

The food from 9 bar is actually no too bad,  nothing fancy but good.

Excellent, thank you. 👌

Heart of Darkness
7 hours ago, heatonjambo said:

He knows!

🤭

7 hours ago, heatonjambo said:

He knows!

Run a marathon then 🍺 drink a gallon!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

Heart of Darkness
8 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Run a marathon then 🍺 drink a gallon!

♥️♥️♥️♥️

🤣🤣🤣🤣  🏃🏻‍♂️🍻

10 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Brilliant!! Thanks, that's not far from the finish line at Town Moor. 😀

Wylam brewery and tap house is right there if you can't wait 🤪

Heart of Darkness
1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Wylam brewery and tap house is right there if you can't wait 🤪

I'll slow jog to both cheetah for my warm down!! 👍🤣🤣

22 hours ago, heatonjambo said:

if you want to do the cool thing, have a beer in the waiting rroms, head of steam and Newcastle tap.

all 3 are on the site of the old long bar in the get Carter movie.

Newcastle tap does good pizzas

15 hours ago, Heart of Darkness said:

Brilliant!! Thanks, that's not far from the finish line at Town Moor. 😀

See above mate and do the tour

Heart of Darkness
Just now, Heart of Darkness said:

Cheers for the info H. 😎👍

I'll no doubt have a beer in the 1st bar, sit down, the legs will seize up & I'll be there until it's time for my train!! ☺

With a few ales on the train to celebrate another derby victory!! 😄

1 hour ago, Heart of Darkness said:

I'll no doubt have a beer in the 1st bar, sit down, the legs will seize up & I'll be there until it's time for my train!! ☺

With a few ales on the train to celebrate another derby victory!! 😄

Enjoy the day fella.

if it wast the GNR that day I might have joined you

good luck

Heart of Darkness
59 minutes ago, heatonjambo said:

Enjoy the day fella.

if it wast the GNR that day I might have joined you

good luck

Thanks very much 👍

Would have been good to sit & watch the game with a fellow Hearts fan! 🤝

@cheetahand @heaton jambohave you guys met up to watch games in Newcastle/North tyneside before?

I used to watch the games at the Hancock years ago because the manager and one of the lads behind the bar were jambos. 

Would be up for meeting up with folk to watch games in future.