Jamie Walker

dazajmbo

Sub4TiddlerMurray
6 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

His goals tally is padded out against dud clubs like Morton, and that disguises the lack of defensive work rate which costs us territory in the midfield and chances/goals at the other end. So he’s vastly overrated based on his goals, whilst his weakness in the amount of running he is willing/able to do costs the team. 

Absolute rubbish. He's scored plenty at the top level including against the old firm and he puts in a decent shift defensively. The only issue with Walker is that he doesn't always perform at the level he's capable of. If he was arrogant rather than shy and more confident he'd be playing at a higher level IMO. 

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

He’s so far down the pecking order with the new wingers that can’t see him getting near a game barring an injury crisis

Who cares if he doesn't get a game. That will mean we're playing well. Having him for when we need him is a good thing surely?

7 hours ago, indianajones said:

He's just not very good, lacks heart and rarely applies himself basically. Being a nice guy doesn't come into the equation.

Should never have been brought back and I'm glad it seems like Neilson is now building a team without him in the picture. 

Absolutely spot-on, imho 👍

A_A wehatethehibs
14 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Absolute rubbish. He's scored plenty at the top level including against the old firm and he puts in a decent shift defensively. The only issue with Walker is that he doesn't always perform at the level he's capable of. If he was arrogant rather than shy and more confident he'd be playing at a higher level IMO. 

That’s a laughable statement

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

That's a laughable retort

“Jamie Walker puts a good defensive shift in” - a statement that has never been said by any fan, coach or team mate of Jamie’s ever in his career. Or ever will. You are on your own there mate.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

“Jamie Walker puts a good defensive shift in” - a statement that has never been said by any fan, coach or team mate of Jamie’s ever in his career. Or ever will. You are on your own there mate.

To be fair he's been much better since the Rangers transfer fiasco. Even got a serious injury against Motherwell when defending well. It's not really what he's on the park for though so I'll never understand why people slag off creative players for their defending.

Edited by ToqueJambo

letsalllaughathobos

Very surprised we didn't look to loan him this season as the lad needs games big time at any level, problem is to who and where? (Inverness would have a been a great option with robbo) but really young family probably rules that out, 

Real shame as most of us really want him to be brilliant thought him returning would have had a point to prove but looks like his hearts career is coming to a close, 

Should never have been brought back. Thankfully recruitment at the club seems to now be done in a professional manner rather than ex-players and Wyscout wonders (exc. Craig Gordon). 

Decent finisher, but offers very little else. Will likely be in the championship next season. 

For a player with 50 goals for the club he seems like someone most fans don't particularly care for. Probably due to the fact that half have been against pub league opposition. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I've seen Walker put in tackles and clear our lines plenty of times. He's had good games, great games and several ineffectual games. But, when he is at it, he also tracks back. 

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

To be fair he's been much better since the Rangers transfer fiasco. Even got a serious injury against Motherwell when defending well. It's not really what he's on the park for though so I'll never understand why people slag off creative players for their defending.

Because in the modern game it is critical to be able to do the high press for long spells of the game. It is an essential thing that big clubs need to be able to do to assert dominance and ensure the opposition don’t get out their half, and it simply is far too easy to play through with someone like Walker. It IS what he’s in the team to do. If the ball gets played through him or anyone else in the forward line that’s you on the back foot. All 11 players are responsible for defending and there is no room for a passenger in the starting 11. Fair enough if he is focusing on the super sub role but when he came on against Aberdeen it was not so super a sub. They dominated with comfortable un-pressed secure possession.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

To be fair he's been much better since the Rangers transfer fiasco. Even got a serious injury against Motherwell when defending well.

This

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, The Fonz said:

Should never have been brought back. Thankfully recruitment at the club seems to now be done in a professional manner rather than ex-players and Wyscout wonders (exc. Craig Gordon). 

Decent finisher, but offers very little else. Will likely be in the championship next season. 

For a player with 50 goals for the club he seems like someone most fans don't particularly care for. Probably due to the fact that half have been against pub league opposition. 

More like a third. He's got goals in him off the bench, so he's a keeper for me for now.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Because in the modern game it is critical to be able to do the high press for long spells of the game. It is an essential thing that big clubs need to be able to do to assert dominance and ensure the opposition don’t get out their half, and it simply is far too easy to play through with someone like Walker. It IS what he’s in the team to do. If the ball gets played through him or anyone else in the forward line that’s you on the back foot. All 11 players are responsible for defending and there is no room for a passenger in the starting 11. Fair enough if he is focusing on the super sub role but when he came on against Aberdeen it was not so super a sub. They dominated with comfortable un-pressed secure possession.

I'm not in the "must press" cult. I like my skilful players who do one good thing in a game but it's a really good thing that leads to a win. Walker has that in him.

Saying Walker doesn't do the defensive side just smacks of people having made their mind up about him IMO. He always puts a shift in these days. I agree before his move he had that annoying habit of not looking arsed, genuinely don't think it's an issue now, look at him against Inverness, winning tackles on the touchline and driving us into good areas.

He needs a run of games to get fit, Neilson won't play him until he's fit so it looks like he's going to get limited game time. There'll be injuries and suspensions though so he'll get a chance at some point, he just has to be ready to take it.

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

I'm not in the "must press" cult. I like my skilful players who do one good thing in a game but it's a really good thing that leads to a win. Walker has that in him.

Who would win. A team of Benis or a team of Jamie’s. 

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Pressing high up the park is a different point to the one about defending. And, it's also one I agree with. Walker doesn't like the high press.

7 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Great talent.. but for some reason doesn’t do it from the start..

If he works hard he will get opportunities though 

Agreed and hopefully not being in the first 11 starting line up might push him on to up his fitness/game as their is no doubting his talent. 

Guest ToqueJambo
10 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Who would win. A team of Benis or a team of Jamie’s. 

Both is good 🤣 I just like players with a bit of skill. in the old days no-one used the word "press" which is basically just running around madly closing players down and denying them space. The teams that were known for doing that - like Wimbledon and Jack Charlton's Eire - were thought of as physical, anti-football type teams. The top teams today can sign players who can press and are very skillful. For teams at our level pressing is just players running around and closing down a lot., ultimately getting knackered as the game goes on.

Edited by ToqueJambo

RustyRightPeg

Jamie is the type of player that needs better players around him. He’ll still have a role to play this year. 

With the talent we have, I wouldn’t be surprised if he got between 5-10 goals this year. 

12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

More like a third. He's got goals in him off the bench, so he's a keeper for me for now.

Meh. The general apathy towards him might also be down to his attitude and lack of impact, especially in big games. 

Hopefully you're right and we can get some use out of him this year. After that he can be on his merry way to Falkirk or Raith. 

If his problem is a lack of fitness he really needs to take a long look in the mirror.  It's a short career and he's wasting it.

Based on the comments on here which include his own comments, I wouldn't risk him against Hibs.  I would for the next game and start him.

Let's all see what he's made of.

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

If his problem is a lack of fitness he really needs to take a long look in the mirror.  It's a short career and he's wasting it.

Based on the comments on here which include his own comments, I wouldn't risk him against Hibs.  I would for the next game and start him.

May have no option. Will be at least a sub.

4 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Cant see him as a starter barring necessity

ooh-aah-cantona
3 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if goes out on loan to a Scottish championship side

I would actually be all for loaning him until January so he gets a run of games, getting his confidence up and the chance to see what his fitness is like.

I think both Raith Rovers and John McGlynn would be ideal for him, as a replacement for Lewis Vaughan.

Looks like it may be coming to the end of his Hearts career , bench warmer at the moment and cannot see that changing anytime soon. Real shame, as he can be a match on his day .

39 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

People will say it’s a coordinated tactic(pressing) but it’s nothing new.  I think in football we go through spells in the game where sometimes it’s defensive, sometimes it’s more attacking but going back 25, 30 years teams went out to take their game to one another. Therefore, teams constantly closed down the ball.

Theres wasn’t an over emphasis on tactics or elaborate shapes or strategies. 

I still think to this day that players, and therefore teams, worked harder decades ago. It was a different mentality towards the game. 

Personally I think there's not particularly anything wrong with his fitness that a run of games wouldn't sort.  Neilson though has decided he doesn't fancy him this time around and he's not one of the select few who get a game regardless of how shite they've been.  He's always a useful option if we're trying to win a game where we've huffed about

He'll almost certainly go at the end of the season, and I'll be a bit sad to see him go

Dennis Reynolds

Can't see a place for him in the starting eleven. Bench warmer for me. He always looks better coming off the bench but I would assume he wants to be starting. At least I would hope he does. I doubt he'll be here next season but he's a decent option to have this year. 

11 hours ago, Locky said:

Writing is on the wall for Jamie I think. Good player on his day as we all know, and capable of changing a game but just not consistent enough for the direction we want to head as a team.

The fitness issues referred to I don't think are specific to injury problems, rather general fitness. He doesn't look capable of playing 90 minutes when I've seen him lately. Don't know the lad personally to comment safely on this too much, but his attitude doesn't strike me as someone who's going to roll his sleeves up and fight for his place, which is exactly what he's got to do now with the options we have.

Shoot me down if I'm wrong, but feel like Walker believes he has nothing to prove, and if Robbie doesn't pick him then it's not his own fault. All my own opinions of course though.

Last Paragraph is spot on imo. I just get the impression he is too laid back at times. I wonder if he doesn't sell himself well enough to Neilson or show that little piece of desperation to get on and play from the start. For whatever reason, its frustrating as he has the talent in spades.

Maybe spending a bit of time with the new signings and seeing how they focus themselves will help him - He cant just sit back and point fingers in the meantime as he wont be here once his contract expires. Hopefully get a reaction from him soon enough.