Minimum wage query

Norm

On 07/09/2021 at 23:57, Norm said:

My employer pays minimum wage (or NLW if you prefer). They stipulate that staff must change in to uniform on the premises before their shift starts, and must change out of uniform after the end of the shift before heading home. 

Am I right in saying that this breaches the rules, and staff must be paid for that time? 

Haven't read the rest of the thread but only if you are truly hourly paid. If salaried at an annualised equivalent of the NLW then they can ask you come in and change...

12 minutes ago, Spellczech said:

Haven't read the rest of the thread but only if you are truly hourly paid. If salaried at an annualised equivalent of the NLW then they can ask you come in and change...

Yeah, it's an hourly rate. 

13 hours ago, Ribble said:

That's kinda my whole point, i've found that being punctual and ready to work at the given time (whether that's laptop booted up, uniform on or even in a bar walking in and picking up any empties) show's a good work ethic and that in turns builds trust from the employer, when an employer trusts you then you get more leeway when circumstances dictate that you need to come in late/take a long lunch/leave early etc

It absolutely does. That's one of the reasons why I start 10-15 minutes before I'm meant to, and regularly finish 15-30 minutes after I'm supposed to. That, and I enjoy what I do. 

But employers absolutely should be paying their employees the correct wage, and if that means paying them for the 10 minutes everyday they get changed in and out of uniform, they should pay it. 

Op expects to be paid for travel expenses , both ways, type post. Why is getting changed at work, before and after the shift a problem. Ovies oan, ovies oaf. Easy. 2 minutes at a snail pace.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Op expects to be paid for travel expenses , both ways, type post. Why is getting changed at work, before and after the shift a problem. Ovies oan, ovies oaf. Easy. 2 minutes at a snail pace.

Because they legally have to pay folk for it? And maybe you can fully iron a shirt and trousers in 2 minutes but I can't.

Edited by Norm

The Old Tolbooth

If you have home insurance, then the chances are you also have legal cover with this product, and you can use this legal cover for employment disputes etc, in fact I'll post the list below in case it helps anyone, but hardly anyone appears to use legal cover on their home insurance, and yet everyone pays for it, it's madness, it's there to be used when needed and can often save you a lot of money by using it too, I've used it a couple of times over the years and it helped massively. 

Here's the list I copied and pasted in case it helps anyone on here, 

What’s legal expenses cover?

Legal expenses cover, also known as family legal protection, is a type of insurance you can buy alongside your home insurance.

It'll protect you against the costs of being sued, or of making a claim against someone.

It’s not compulsory when taking out home insurance, but it’s a standard feature with many policies, and available as an optional extra on others.

Key points

• Having legal expenses cover isn’t compulsory but may be included as standard or as an added extra
  • Policies can take on the legal expenses involved in pursuing uninsured losses
  • For your insurer to take on a legal claim on your behalf, it'll need to be convinced that your case has a reasonable chance of success
  • Legal expenses won’t cover compensation and you should look out for exclusions

What’s covered by home insurance legal expenses?

Legal fees cover could include:

• Personal injury
  • Employment disputes
  • Inadequate service
  • Faulty goods
  • Boundary disputes and other problems with neighbours
  • Tax enquiries or investigation
  • Medical negligence
  • Legal defence
  • Property protection
  • Jury service

46 minutes ago, Norm said:

Because they legally have to pay folk for it? And maybe you can fully iron a shirt and trousers in 2 minutes but I can't.

Why would you need to iron your shirt and trousers at work, can you not do that at home?

Often I will do a run at my work before starting and shower and change there. No need to iron stuff that has been in my bag on the commute.

Just now, Mr Brightside said:

Why would you need to iron your shirt and trousers at work, can you not do that at home?

Often I will do a run at my work before starting and shower and change there. No need to iron stuff that has been in my bag on the commute.

The work gear is cheap as **** and crumples like hell on the commute. 

13 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

If you have home insurance, then the chances are you also have legal cover with this product, and you can use this legal cover for employment disputes etc, in fact I'll post the list below in case it helps anyone, but hardly anyone appears to use legal cover on their home insurance, and yet everyone pays for it, it's madness, it's there to be used when needed and can often save you a lot of money by using it too, I've used it a couple of times over the years and it helped massively. 

Here's the list I copied and pasted in case it helps anyone on here, 

What’s legal expenses cover?

Legal expenses cover, also known as family legal protection, is a type of insurance you can buy alongside your home insurance.

It'll protect you against the costs of being sued, or of making a claim against someone.

It’s not compulsory when taking out home insurance, but it’s a standard feature with many policies, and available as an optional extra on others.

Key points

• Having legal expenses cover isn’t compulsory but may be included as standard or as an added extra
  • Policies can take on the legal expenses involved in pursuing uninsured losses
  • For your insurer to take on a legal claim on your behalf, it'll need to be convinced that your case has a reasonable chance of success
  • Legal expenses won’t cover compensation and you should look out for exclusions

What’s covered by home insurance legal expenses?

Legal fees cover could include:

• Personal injury
  • Employment disputes
  • Inadequate service
  • Faulty goods
  • Boundary disputes and other problems with neighbours
  • Tax enquiries or investigation
  • Medical negligence
  • Legal defence
  • Property protection
  • Jury service

Yup, I have that and will absolutely take advantage of it if I have to. 

6 minutes ago, Norm said:

The work gear is cheap as **** and crumples like hell on the commute. 

Even an expensive shirt will look like crap unless it's been on a hanger. There's quite simply no way to transport one and it not be obvious and noticeably disheveled imo.