Happy Anniversary

dannymack

Салатные палочки

That is the one game I would kill to see highlights of. Of course, we never will. 

Remember the game😄

Btw the policeman in the 2nd photo - Jimmy Johnstone - (deceased) - usual match commander - good jambo and friend - eventually ended up as Hearts security man after he retired - known to many people

section s heart

Definitely the turning point in derby fortunes after a dismal 1970s, and a blank period due to relegations. And it felt like a new world too as we got off to a flyer in the league iirc.

I was meant to be playing an amateur game that day and when it was called off a crowd of us went to the game, one of the very few times I was in the old enclosure. 

Really good game too. 

3 minutes ago, section s heart said:

Definitely the turning point in derby fortunes after a dismal 1970s, and a blank period due to relegations. And it felt like a new world too as we got off to a flyer in the league iirc.

I was meant to be playing an amateur game that day and when it was called off a crowd of us went to the game, one of the very few times I was in the old enclosure. 

Really good game too. 

Won the first 5 league games. Great times, and we were back!!

What a game!  I remember alex McDonald coming on and changing the game. 

I missed the frankie says easter road game and this was the first time I saw us beat them.   

Brilliant game. 

It's a tragedy that there is no footage of this game although the memories are special.  It also got me thinking how unfortunate we are not to have footage of some great Hearts wins between November 85 and April 86 when there was some sort of strike that prevented any TV coverage.  

1 hour ago, 1902hewat said:

Remember the game😄

Btw the policeman in the 2nd photo - Jimmy Johnstone - (deceased) - usual match commander - good jambo and friend - eventually ended up as Hearts security man after he retired - known to many people

Nice one.

This was a very rare game for me because I went to the main stand (thanks to my dad and an uncle).

Even better, I bumped into a few Hibee mates at half-time, when they were ahead. I predicted a Robertson hat-trick, very nearly correct, but what a fantastic game. 

The beginning of an era.

Seen us beat Hibs 3-1, 4-1, 4-0, 5-1 etc. in Gorgie but the famous 3-2 is still my favourite Tynecastle derby. 

The story of Hearts, 1965-2021, is effortlessly defined, imo: before 3-2 and after.

It really was that important.

Remember, remember the 3rd of September was the quip at the time and everyone who was there, maroon or green, always has and always will.

Edited by martoon

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

It's a tragedy that there is no footage of this game although the memories are special.  It also got me thinking how unfortunate we are not to have footage of some great Hearts wins between November 85 and April 86 when there was some sort of strike that prevented any TV coverage.  

If @Skippy Doodleever digs up long lost footage of 3-2 he'll have an afternoon of free, pre/post match pints in Gorgie 

I'm paying.

It was long thought there was no footage of Celtic beating Rangers 4-2 to clinch the 1979 title. 

30+ years later, grainy, b&w footage emerged from the attic of some Celtic supporting, camcorder enthusiast.

You never know. 😊

1 hour ago, TexasAndy said:

My first game at Tynie was the Rangers cup game in 86 another game that highlights of would be awesome to have. Proper cup tie and of course the right result.

Nelly Terraces

Without question my favourite derby at Tynie. Utter carnage on the terraces when the Flying Bone scored that winner. Signalled an era of total dominance over the weeteam that exists to this day. 

Worthing Jambo
6 hours ago, 1902hewat said:

Remember the game😄

Didn’t know Jimmy had passed away.

Sorry to hear that.

In those days, he had his beady eye on the Currie and Balerno contingent at the pylon!😂

He didn’t half get some stick back then but guarded the Scottish Cup well on its journey back from Celtic Park in 98.

A regular in Ma Brows for a while.

Yup he died May 2017, and yup I was one of those contingent.

You are right he did keep an eye on the trophy all the way back from Hampden  that day!

He then brought Cruikie back to Currie Bowling club that night - what an evening that was😄😄👍👍

6 hours ago, 1902hewat said:

Remember the game😄

Knew Jimmy well - great guy! 👍

6 hours ago, martoon said:

Seen us beat Hibs 3-1, 4-1, 4-0, 5-1 etc. in Gorgie but the famous 3-2 is still my favourite Tynecastle derby. 

The story of Hearts, 1965-2021, is effortlessly defined, imo: before 3-2 and after.

It really was that important.

Remember, remember the 3rd of September was the quip at the time and everyone who was there, maroon or green, always has and always will.

Very true   I often have a wee look back at that game, in.my head obviously , brilliant day .......🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻👍

6 hours ago, Hectormasson said:

Very true   I often have a wee look back at that game, in.my head obviously , brilliant day .......🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻👍

Epic day, Hector.

So many memories which I've recounted every 3rd of September on JKB since I joined.

Always try to make the memory a new one and I doubt I'll ever run out. 😊

Many cracking days since, especially against Hibs, but only a few eclipse 3/9/83.

Heart of Midlothian 3 Hibernian 2.

38 years on and that result still resonates to this day.

22 minutes ago, martoon said:

Epic day, Hector.

So many memories which I've recounted every 3rd of September on JKB since I joined.

Many cracking days since, especially against Hibs, but only a few eclipse 3/9/83.

Nearly 40 years is the frightening bit.  Ffs 

10 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Before the cross for the winner I was thinking give it to Robbo. 

20210903_144800.jpg

I remember wee Parky collecting the ball down at the corner of the shed then flighting it in. Rough came out, Jimmy got there first and the ball nestled into the net.

I was only 15 and clearly recall older lads in the shed, who'd suffered much longer than I had, being overwhelmed that Hearts were about to beat Hibs.

It can't be emphasised enough what a pivotal day that was for Hearts and the fans.

13 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Nearly 40 years is the frightening bit.  Ffs 

True.

Occasionally think I must be mistaken when thinking back to old games.

They can't be that long ago. 😄

12 minutes ago, martoon said:

True.

Occasionally think I must be mistaken when thinking back to old games.

They can't be that long ago. 😄

I missed the frankie says game and it took me 6 years before I saw us beat them.   First derby I thought we had until McLeod scored a 200th minute equaliser.  

Thankfully more than made up for those first 6 years.  

HeartsandonlyHearts

Was right behind the goal in the school end.

Robbo’s goals were amazing but the Bone header absolutely bulleted into the net. As others have said I wish there were highlights.

8 hours ago, martoon said:

Epic day, Hector.

Used to see ally Brazil driving the 36 bus   and I remember chatting to him regarding Robbie goal ,2nd one I think'   and the brave Mr Brazil trying to clear it at the school end, but trundling into the net with the ball,  magic , he just gave a wry laugh, 🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭great memos of that era , that game in particular.....

1 hour ago, Hectormasson said:

Used to see ally Brazil driving the 36 bus   and I remember chatting to him regarding Robbie goal ,2nd one I think'   and the brave Mr Brazil trying to clear it at the school end, but trundling into the net with the ball,  magic , he just gave a wry laugh, 🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭great memos of that era , that game in particular.....

Been on a Benny bus once or twice myself. Willie Jamieson, too. 

Said thanks to the latter as getting off, like you do, then turned and added a thanks for the equaliser v. Celtic.

He just laughed.

41 minutes ago, martoon said:

Been on a Benny bus once or twice myself. Willie Jamieson, too. 

Said thanks to the latter as getting off, like you do, then turned and added a thanks for the equaliser v. Celtic.

He just laughed.

I think that goal is the only thing I remember from Willie’s season at Hearts. I remember watching him collect the ball and shouting ‘Don’t hit it’ as I thought it would sail over the bar and be a wasted ball. Boy was I wrong!!

19 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I think that goal is the only thing I remember from Willie’s season at Hearts. I remember watching him collect the ball and shouting ‘Don’t hit it’ as I thought it would sail over the bar and be a wasted ball. Boy was I wrong!!

My only memory of him, too. 😊

On 03/09/2021 at 07:59, dannymack said:

FB_IMG_1494069366433.jpg

21231577_10209829106150424_406477245959884514_n.jpg

Robbo_2 (2).png

The policeman in this picture is Graham Wight, he worked with my dad but also worked with Jimmy Johnstone aka cheeky. Graham ended up the security manager in the Gyle centre 

, Jimmy Johnstone was at least an inspector when this picture was taken 

4 hours ago, martoon said:

My only memory of him, too. 😊

Good lad is Willie knew him from school him and old chuck in the same Firhill school team 

36 minutes ago, andi17 said:

Good lad is Willie knew him from school him and old chuck in the same Firhill school team 

No prisoners taken by that team. 😊

Was Willie Hearts or Hibs, andi?

On 03/09/2021 at 14:45, Mikey1874 said:

without doubt Robbo's best derby goal

helluva goal

helluva celebration with my mates just in front of the toilets in the shed

helluva win

Hearts were back

Doctor FinnBarr
23 hours ago, martoon said:

I remember wee Parky collecting the ball down at the corner of the shed then flighting it in. Rough came out, Jimmy got there first and the ball nestled into the net.

I was only 15 and clearly recall older lads in the shed, who'd suffered much longer than I had, being overwhelmed that Hearts were about to beat Hibs.

It can't be emphasised enough what a pivotal day that was for Hearts and the fans.

100%, I'd been going regular for about 9 years at that point and had hardly seen us beat them, I persevered though.

34 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

100%, I'd been going regular for about 9 years at that point and had hardly seen us beat them, I persevered though.

Magic day, Finn and it set the tone for many more against Hibs.

Hope we never lose our grip on that fixture. It's a fantastic thing to have.

23 hours ago, dav1e said:

Remember running the Edinburgh marathon the next day with a huge grin on my face. 

The Edinburgh marathon the next day was the reason there was no TV coverage as BBC was covering the event. Remember the late John Fairgrieve apoplectic with rage at the lack of coverage. The company I was working for at the time entertained a USA distributor  visit one of whom competed in the marathon. I had contacts with the club at the time and took him to the game .He was absolutely blown away with the atmosphere and took him to the diggers for a light refreshment post match. I had entered for the event but thankfully decided against it as a hangover would have kicked in big style 

22 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Only 1 victory against Hibs in that 9 year period, the 1-2 win at Easter Rd, Dennis McQuade and Derek O'Connor. 

First victory at Tynecastle in 10 years 😔