Aidan Keena (Falkirk)

Tasavallan

I notice he has had 16 games for the Bairns in 2 seasons but so far has scored only 2 goals.  Another player that has not so far set the heather on fire.  For some reason he reminded me of Jamie Mole.

16 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I notice he has had 16 games for the Bairns in 2 seasons but so far has scored only 2 goals.  Another player that has not so far set the heather on fire.  For some reason he reminded me of Jamie Mole.

Both thought of as real prospects . Just proves how difficult it is to judge a players potential

Saw him play a few times. Looked full of potential. Like he had all the bits to make a decent Premier league striker. Just seems he didn't take that next step of development. For every good player that comes through there are always ones that looked dead certs that just stop developing 

I played with a keeper when we were 14 or 15 and there were scouts coming to our games and big talk of the chap. At that time we thought we would be watching him on TV soon. Highest he ever made was Scottish div 2.

38 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

Scored a peach 3 or 4 weeks ago

My falkirk supporting friends seem to think he has found his mojo this season and they are all singing his praises.

1 minute ago, brownkg said:

My falkirk supporting friends seem to think he has found his mojo this season and they are all singing his praises.

I was pretty impressed, he looked confident in a way we never saw

A_A wehatethehibs

I think Hearts fans at times need a bit of perspective

As a young player, to get into a first team squad at league 1 Falkirk, you are doing really well. I would class that as success. 

Carving out a pro career is a very difficult thing to do. 

Doesn’t mean you are good enough for Hearts, the vast majority of 19-20 year olds will not be, the pressure here is high and the quality we can get in transfers is high. Keena just wasn’t, at that time, good enough. But that’s doesn’t mean to say what the future may hold. If he makes the grades and steps up the levels who knows, but it will take those trials and tribulations over several years for him to develop. 

Good to see that even the majority who do not initially make it here seem go on to start good pro careers and good luck to them

Byyy The Light
27 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

As a young player, to get into a first team squad at league 1 Falkirk, you are doing really well. I would class that as success. 

Doesn’t mean you are good enough for Hearts, the vast majority of 19-20 year olds will not be, the pressure here is high and the quality we can get in transfers is high. Keena just wasn’t, at that time, good enough. But that’s doesn’t mean to say what the future may hold. If he makes the grades and steps up the levels who knows, but it will take those trials and tribulations over several years for him to develop. 

Good to see that even the majority who do not initially make it here seem go on to start good pro careers and good luck to them

Cracking post 

Niemi’s gloves

I wonder if we were a bit rose-tinted in the Levein era in seeing Ireland - North and South - as a source of undiscovered gems? The reality is that it is very heavily scouted by English clubs and the chances are that if youngster hasn’t been picked up, there is a reason for it. So Keena and Bobby Burns were promising but in the end not good enough and I think we have had a couple of other younger players over from Ireland that never got anywhere near the first team. Of course, never say never, and there may be a player that has been missed because he concentrated on GAA or rugby as a youth; or who is a bit of a late developer (as presumably Michael Smith was when Bristol Rovers signed him from Ballymena at age 22). 

13 minutes ago, Cheile said:

Never mind Keena, what about Cole, The Goal, Stockton! Has banged in a few for Morecambe. Probably found his ideal level.

And have you seen where Morecambe are?  I had to trawl halfway down League 1.   Tranmere, Southport, Carlisle, Wrexham, Hearts.

Niemi’s gloves
43 minutes ago, Smithee said:

2 minutes in

Interesting to see Hibs new (reserve) keeper in action at 5’ 55” for Clyde. Looks pretty much Ross Stewart class. 

46 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Interesting to see Hibs new (reserve) keeper in action at 5’ 55” for Clyde. Looks pretty much Ross Stewart class. 

Yeah there isn't anything good about that

4 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

When I was younger I played with and against plenty future  pros Mackay, Robbo, Bowman,Yogi Hughes etc, even Darren Jackson in park kickabouts, but the one guy who I thought was the biggest talent played no higher than Alloa Athletic, it’s about luck and desire, Jackson at U15s struggled to get a game every week at Tynie BC, but he turned out to be the guy who played against Brazil in the WC98 opening match 

by the same token, not every player will play at the top level, but even if you play for 15 years for Alloa, you still have earned the right to say you made it as a professional player 

2 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

it’s about luck and desire, Jackson at U15s struggled to get a game every week at Tynie BC, but he turned out to be the guy who played against Brazil in the WC98 opening match 

Totally agree, I was in the same year as Darren and he wasn't the best player in our year even though he was better than most. He was however the one who was convinced he could make it and took it very seriously. 

22 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

After the team he had assembled that season I could never figure out what George Burley saw in Jamie Mole's play that he liked so much. 

19 hours ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

That the polish boy ? 

32 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

After the team he had assembled that season I could never figure out what George Burley saw in Jamie Mole's play that he liked so much. 

I think Mad Vlad was maybe leaning on Burley around then. 

23 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Absolutely and well put.

I said on another thread earlier that oor Hendo, if he does well at Alloa and wins a pro contract elsewhere will have done very well and should be proud of that.  To make it as a pro player at any level you have done well and have talent.  To maintain that across a career is very much the exception, not the rule.

Back on Keena, I also quite liked the idea of him - I liked when he first broke in how we always looked to shoot early and was quite direct.  He just looked a bit lost a lot.  Got the tools - best of luck

A_A wehatethehibs
26 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Absolutely and well put.

I said on another thread earlier that oor Hendo, if he does well at Alloa and wins a pro contract elsewhere will have done very well and should be proud of that.  To make it as a pro player at any level you have done well and have talent.  To maintain that across a career is very much the exception, not the rule.

Back on Keena, I also quite liked the idea of him - I liked when he first broke in how we always looked to shoot early and was quite direct.  He just looked a bit lost a lot.  Got the tools - best of luck

Hendo is a good lad but he is lacking a few essentials when it comes to the Hearts first team. I think given a few years out there on the coal face fighting for a club, entertaining a thousand home fans, he just may develop. Hearts can’t sit around waiting till he’s 25 or whatever. And if he stayed here, that development wont happen. He has got to go and fight for his career. It’s only a very very few who make their mark on the hearts first team at a young age. The rest it’s about the pro career and good luck to them 

County Durham Hearts
22 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

And have you seen where Morecambe are?  I had to trawl halfway down League 1.   Tranmere, Southport, Carlisle, Wrexham, Hearts.

He was playing in the 1-0 win against Sheff Wed on Saturday,  notice 3 Scottish internationals in the Wed team, Paterson,  Bannan and Palmer 

I think when you see all these promising young strikers not quite cut it it goes to show how unique a John Robertson is.