Denmark v Scotland WC Qual 1972

Tasavallan

2 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'm setting myself up for pelters here but back in the day that ball for the first goal was the keeper's all the way. He would wipe anything out in his path too. I love Craig but my initial though was could he have come for it.

I appreciate the game has changed by the guy was on the edge of the six yard box when he headed it. 

The six yard area was the keeper's domain. 

Maybe I'm wrong but happy to read other views.

I thought this at first when watching - but not sure if the angle / pace of cross created doubt for Gordon. Either that or he expected a defender to win the header. 

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• Mikey1874

• Doc Rob

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'm setting myself up for pelters here but back in the day that ball for the first goal was the keeper's all the way. He would wipe anything out in his path too. I love Craig but my initial though was could he have come for it.

I appreciate the game has changed by the guy was on the edge of the six yard box when he headed it. 

If it’s a 50/50 between you and the striker, you stay on your line and trust your defence. Otherwise you leave an open goal and anything on target is a goal. You have about half a second to weigh up the probabilities and decide to stay or go. If in doubt, stay.

☝️That was told to me by a top level goalkeeper not too long ago. 

Pasquale for King
36 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'm setting myself up for pelters here but back in the day that ball for the first goal was the keeper's all the way. He would wipe anything out in his path too. I love Craig but my initial thought was could he have come for it?

If it has changed it’s for the worse, it’s a keepers ball all day long and the merest touch prevents a goal. 
Saying he’s never come for a cross like that doesn’t excuse it.
He should’ve been closer to the scorer for the second also, when the ball lands he should’ve been right on top of it. 
Still the best option Scotland has as the two deputies continually make mistakes. 

55 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

I'm setting myself up for pelters here but back in the day that ball for the first goal was the keeper's all the way. He would wipe anything out in his path too. I love Craig but my initial thought was could he have come for it?

Could be right jonno, the 6 yard box should deffo be the goalkeepers domain and any action in it

should be contested by the goalkeeper.

Ive never been happy about the keeper staying on his line, in saying that Craig is one of the best in Britain

so im not going to fault him, his defence certainly did not help his cause.

Guest ToqueJambo
16 hours ago, Spellczech said:

Yeah but he did have Fraser, and as the second half showed, THAT was the right thing to do...basically Clarke killed us at both the back and up front with the ludicrous decision to ask Robertson to try playing on the right. At international level you just don't do that...To me this was a more suicidal selection than Craig Levein's 4-6-0...At least Levein's selection almost got the draw. Tonight we were done within 15 mins...

One of many ludicrous decisions by Clarke. He's shit. He finally found a way to make Robertson and Tierney play in the same team and then completely messes with it.

We had an excellent goalie for the Euros in Gordon and he played a Derby County reserve for sentimental reasons.

He didn't consider Gilmour good enough to play him against the Czechs in a winnable game when he would have been very useful to help us have more possession, but did consider him good enough to play in a huge derby.

We make a big fuss of getting Adams for Scotland and need a striker, and he doesn't play him in the Euros from the start.

We've had a RB problem for ages but he sticks with ODonnell - barely a Scottish Premiership level player - and doesn't involve Hickey or other players who could play RB, so we have no-one who can step in and he plays Robertson there.

He's happy to promote multiple uncapped Killie players the minute he gets the Scotland job but ignores an impressive St J side.

We have lots of decent midfielders but he's yet to come up with a formation to get the best from them, instead setting up the entire team around fitting in two players only - Robertson and Tierney.

Edited by ToqueJambo

53 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Great (ancient) minds think alike, John 😉

The irony is, we are not wrong. I always maintain that Cruikie, Jennings and Banks were the three best keepers I have ever seen coming for crosses, and none of them were as tall as Craig Gordon and other modern goalkeepers.

They are taught to punch nowadays and not to catch and that is a terrible coaching Idea. If the ball is in the safety of the keeper's hands, then the opposition are definitely not scoring.

The criticism from some on here re Gilmour shows a lack of knowledge of the game of football, for me he had a great second half, some are too used to Haring type players and cannot see the wood for the trees.

1 hour ago, Robbies Tackle said:

He was man of the match against Man City despite them getting skelped. 

Think the lad is affected by the smell from the farmers field up in Currie, Gilmour is an unbelievable talent and will be mainstay of Scotland's midfield for years 

Howdy Doody Jambo
10 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

The irony is, we are not wrong. I always maintain that Cruikie, Jennings and Banks were the three best keepers I have ever seen coming for crosses, and none of them were as tall as Craig Gordon and other modern goalkeepers.

They are taught to punch nowadays and not to catch and that is a terrible coaching Idea. If the ball is in the safety of the keeper's hands, then the opposition are definitely not scoring.

Steve Banks wasn't bad and has won the Scottish Cups with 3 different club's with 3 clean sheets but not as good as Craig Gordon 

4 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Steve Banks wasn't bad and has won the Scottish Cups with 3 different club's with 3 clean sheets but not as good as Craig Gordon 

Perhaps I should have said Gordon Banks to avoid any ambiguity.

3 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

If it has changed it’s for the worse, it’s a keepers ball all day long and the merest touch prevents a goal. 
Saying he’s never come for a cross like that doesn’t excuse it.
He should’ve been closer to the scorer for the second also, when the ball lands he should’ve been right on top of it. 
Still the best option Scotland has as the two deputies continually make mistakes. 

Incredibly harsh. When it’s a ball put in at great height and it’s in the air for a few seconds i.e a corner then yes it’s a keepers ball all day long. When it’s whipped towards goal like that one at that pace then I’m not having that as a goalkeeping error. With the second I think he does everything right, he is out quick and makes himself big. The only place the boy could’ve scored was through the legs. It a great finish. Not one of McCoist, Boyd and McFadden mentioned Gordon at either goal 

To be objective I thought Craigs kicking was poor last night. Nothing awful but he was putting it into areas where there were no Scotland players. Must be tough when you’ve got Ryan Fraser to aim at though. 

9 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Incredibly harsh. When it’s a ball put in at great height and it’s in the air for a few seconds i.e a corner then yes it’s a keepers ball all day long. When it’s whipped towards goal like that one at that pace then I’m not having that as a goalkeeping error. With the second I think he does everything right, he is out quick and makes himself big. The only place the boy could’ve scored was through the legs. It a great finish. Not one of McCoist, Boyd and McFadden mentioned Gordon at either goal 

To be objective I thought Craigs kicking was poor last night. Nothing awful but he was putting it into areas where there were no Scotland players. Must be tough when you’ve got Ryan Fraser to aim at though. 

I agree with this. I don't think most keepers would have come out for that ball. The bottom line is that the defending for both goals is poor. At the first one Tierney seems to lose his bearings. The second one is even worse though. There are 5 or 6 players all focusing on the man in possession and no-one picks up the runner as he bursts through. Liam Cooper is particularly at fault - but from a team perspective it's a total defensive calamity. 

3 minutes ago, Boab said:

England game on cooncil TV.

👍

Missed the Scotland game as don’t have Sky.

Great stuff !

Who are England boring to death (playing) tonight? 

Scotland will never be successful at international level unless we appoint an international manager who knows what it takes to win, our last 10 managers have been Scottish stuck in the traditional way we are clueless and predictable 

1 hour ago, DS98 said:

It's not harsh far from it. It was a goalies ball all day long.

I liked what Southgate said yesterday. 

Journalists were trying to get him to discuss Hungarian hooliganism - booing taking the knee etc. He replied by reminding everyone England are facing a stadium ban for the trouble at the Euro final. 

2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

How is Boyce not getting in that team, let alone squad.

He asked not be involved this time for family reasons.

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, DS98 said:

It wasn’t that pacy at all, a great ball but a keeper has to come for it. When MaEle takes the ball on his chest it then lands nearly on the 6 yard line and Gordon has barely moved. Split seconds yes, but guys like Donnaruma would’ve affected the cross and been at his feet when the ball bounces for the second. Harsh, agreed. 

33 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I didn't know Valdas Ivanauskas was the Lithuania manager. He's missing with covid.

He still there, amazing. 

Novikovas getting mentions for being ex Hearts.   Not heard much about Smith yet who currently plays for Hearts. 

:tlj:

Least we got mentioned anyway ☺ 

47 minutes ago, HMFC01 said:

He still there, amazing. 

Novikovas getting mentions for being ex Hearts.   Not heard much about Smith yet who currently plays for Hearts. 

:tlj:

Least we got mentioned anyway ☺ 

novikovas has now missed a pen

9 minutes ago, VALDOS' said:

Where's the Hungary team and they're fans we saw at the Euros?

This is all very flat from them tonight.

hungary are sort of playing behind closed doors due to their fans at the euros. i dont know why they have allowed some in if it is supposed to be behind closed doors

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

hungary are sort of playing behind closed doors due to their fans at the euros. i dont know why they have allowed some in if it is supposed to be behind closed doors

It’s a full crowd tonight; 60,000.  They only have to play behind closed doors in UEFA competitions this is a FIFA competition.

1 minute ago, Brighton Jambo said:

It’s a full crowd tonight; 60,000.  They only have to play behind closed doors in UEFA competitions this is a FIFA competition.

ah yes youre right i forgot it was a fifa competition

2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

It's not harsh far from it. It was a goalies ball all day long.

Fair enough. I’ll tell the guy who’s a professional goalie with about 400 top flight appearances that he’s wrong and wee John Findlay from kickback is right. 👍

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

They are desperate for grealish to be the next Beckham style poster boy. I never see him do anything to justify the hype or price tag.

When we played England in the Euros the commentators were creaming themselves about Grealish for a good 20 minutes before he came on. Then he came on and fell over a lot. Every time anyone came within 5m of him. He did somehow win a free kick every time (no idea why), but that’s literally all he did.

52 minutes ago, DS98 said:

Fair enough. I’ll tell the guy who’s a professional goalie with about 400 top flight appearances that he’s wrong and wee John Findlay from kickback is right. 👍

Choo choo

7 hours ago, DS98 said:

No need, I will  tell him myself. Just PM  me his name.

14 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Great (ancient) minds think alike, John 😉

I'd have taken that out the air and never allow a ball to go thro my legs either. And why do Keepers never catch a ball these days. 

Great big Keeper is Craig, but he should have stopped both goals. But as I've said before, Tierney is the most overrated player, I've ever seen, utter shite at defending.

7 hours ago, DS98 said:

Who's yer mate with 400 appearances, Dracula?

16 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

One of many ludicrous decisions by Clarke. He's shit. He finally found a way to make Robertson and Tierney play in the same team and then completely messes with it.

We had an excellent goalie for the Euros in Gordon and he played a Derby County reserve for sentimental reasons.

He didn't consider Gilmour good enough to play him against the Czechs in a winnable game when he would have been very useful to help us have more possession, but did consider him good enough to play in a huge derby.

We make a big fuss of getting Adams for Scotland and need a striker, and he doesn't play him in the Euros from the start.

We've had a RB problem for ages but he sticks with ODonnell - barely a Scottish Premiership level player - and doesn't involve Hickey or other players who could play RB, so we have no-one who can step in and he plays Robertson there.

He's happy to promote multiple uncapped Killie players the minute he gets the Scotland job but ignores an impressive St J side.

We have lots of decent midfielders but he's yet to come up with a formation to get the best from them, instead setting up the entire team around fitting in two players only - Robertson and Tierney.

This hits the nail on the head. Also add, totally ignored Ryan Gauld who had the season of his life in Portugal's top league.

Was not impressed at all with Clarke pre Euros and in fairness he got us there via penalties but his record and style of play is honking.

In my opinion the youth set up and progression is gruesome here (not his fault) but alot of Scandinavian teams are way ahead of us in their development (with similar populations). 

Ex member of the SaS

Never thought Clark would do anything with the National squad and was amazed they did so well in the Euro's. Still have no faith he will do anything more.

On 01/09/2021 at 22:07, Spellczech said:

Yeah but he did have Fraser, and as the second half showed, THAT was the right thing to do...basically Clarke killed us at both the back and up front with the ludicrous decision to ask Robertson to try playing on the right. At international level you just don't do that...To me this was a more suicidal selection than Craig Levein's 4-6-0...At least Levein's selection almost got the draw. Tonight we were done within 15 mins...

I agree 100%.

Inept set up in first half.  McKenna at left back, which it looked like more than left of three, was a joke.