• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• colinmaroon

• Four faces

• John Findlay

• ri Alban

I rarely watch BBC Scotland's Reporting Scotland so do not see the fuss.  Brian MacLauchlan has a piece about it on the BBC web page.

Getting worked up over nothing, thinks I.

9 hours ago, Boab said:

The BBC Scotland TV channel must be the worst on TV.

It’s basically teleshopping without the crap watches !

The only programmes I watch on it are Sportscene and the news on The Nine, the latter of which to be fair is normally pretty decent 

10 hours ago, Rudolf said:

I think reporting Scotland is BBC and Scotland today is STV. 

I think that the proper title for it these days is Misreporting Scotland. I gave up on it after the referendum 

8 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Good news everyone the BBC licence fee is apparently in terminal decline as viewers unsubscribe en masse 

Another reason to celebrate 

2 hours ago, Tasavallan said:

I rarely watch BBC Scotland's Reporting Scotland so do not see the fuss.  Brian MacLauchlan has a piece about it on the BBC web page.

Getting worked up over nothing, thinks I.

I dont think anybody is getting “worked-up”.

Worth mentioning that BBC “SCOTLAND” isnt interested in reporting news of the biggest fan owned club in these islands on the day the shares are transferred. 

You would think it would have had at least had a 15 second slot eh?

Heard plenty about it on radio Scotland. John Beattie. Ann Budge interviews and a lot of good will.

Maybe if folk stopped turning the telly over between channels in a rage , they'd hear and see it.

55 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Heard plenty about it on radio Scotland. John Beattie. Ann Budge interviews and a lot of good will.

Maybe if folk stopped turning the telly over between channels in a rage , they'd hear and see it.

So was it covered on BBC Scotland TV? 🤔

jambos are go!
12 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Good news everyone the BBC licence fee is apparently in terminal decline as viewers unsubscribe en masse 

What uniformed drivel. 

jambos are go!
12 hours ago, Four faces said:

I'm raging that some people still watch the BBC for their "News".

Where do you think people should go? Where do you go?

Hats off to the Daily Record , for one day only, they cover Anne Budge's press conference in its entirety on their website.

A_A wehatethehibs
34 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

What uniformed drivel. 

Whoops - I am informed mate. You are uninformed. Let me update you. 

According to John whittingdale, media and data minister, it dropped by a million from 25.8m to 24.8m in the space of 2 years. Approaching a 5% drop. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/08/26/licence-fee-terminal-decline-people-will-refuse-pay-says-media/

The Real Maroonblood
13 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

:pleasing:

39 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

According to John whittingdale, media and data minister, it dropped by a million from 25.8m to 24.8m in the space of 2 years. Approaching a 5% drop. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/08/26/licence-fee-terminal-decline-people-will-refuse-pay-says-media/

I was one of them. Stick their licence clean up their farter!

1 hour ago, jambos are go! said:

I do watch it most of the time but get most of news online.

PS 74 years of age is why I still have a habit of watching the news on TV.

3 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

I don't watch the news.If something is important enough to come up in online headlines,i go to lots of different sites(Alternative news) to try and make my own mind up.

John Findlay

I'm not sure many people may know this. At the end of the 70s where the Omni centre is now, there used to be big Billboards up saying the site was going to be the New HQ for BBC Scotland. Why this didn't happen I don't know.

I have to admit I do find it strange that in Scotland both TV companies have their HQ in Glasgow, whilst BBC England is London Norther Ireland Belfast and Wales Cardiff, the capital cities of those countries. The same for their respective Football Associations, except here in Scotland. Even the company I work for Scotrail have their HQ in Glasgow and are a totally Glasgow centric company.

All Scottish national newspapers are now based in Glasgow, including the Edinburgh founded The Scotsman.

As an Edinburgher born and bred, though whose Father was from Clydebank, I have over my 58yrs have informed the opinion that the Glasgow elite are jealous that Edinburgh is the capital city and not Glasgow.

I don't think I am alone in that.

I further believe any opportunity the media through there, television, radio and written get to put Edinburgh down, they take and twist the knife.

The sickening Dagger image on the back page of the Sunday Mail/Daily Record being one of their putting the boot in.

16 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

I'm not sure many people may know this. At the end of the 70s where the Omni centre is now, there used to be big Billboards up saying the site was going to be the New HQ for BBC Scotland. Why this didn't happen I don't know.

I have to admit I do find it strange that in Scotland both TV companies have their HQ in Glasgow, whilst BBC England is London Norther Ireland Belfast and Wales Cardiff, the capital cities of those countries. The same for their respective Football Associations, except here in Scotland. Even the company I work for Scotrail have their HQ in Glasgow and are a totally Glasgow centric company.

All Scottish national newspapers are now based in Glasgow, including the Edinburgh founded The Scotsman.

As an Edinburgher born and bred, though whose Father was from Clydebank, I have over my 58yrs have informed the opinion that the Glasgow elite are jealous that Edinburgh is the capital city and not Glasgow.

I further believe any opportunity the media through there, television, radio and written get to put Edinburgh down, they take and twist the knife.

The sickening Dagger image on the back page of the Sunday Mail/Daily Record being one of their putting the boot in.

As a Hearts supporter for 65 years born in Glasgow area I couldn't agree more.

BBC Scotland mess around with Hearts particularly, even on their Hearts website.

Every sports news outlet EXCEPT BBC 1 Scotland covered it, and saying they covered it on the remote planet Nine is just obfuscation.

The Independent ran a good long article today (Tuesday) and yet Scotland's national broadcaster couldn't be a***d!

A claim of bias is not paranoia and the self-appointed intellectual apologists can roundly do one!

John Findlay
16 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

BBC Scotland mess around with Hearts particularly, even on their Hearts website.

Every sports news outlet EXCEPT BBC 1 Scotland covered it, and saying they covered it on the remote planet Nine is just obfuscation.

The Independent ran a good long article today (Tuesday) and yet Scotland's national broadcaster couldn't be a***d!

A claim of bias is not paranoia and the self-appointed intellectual apologists can roundly do one!

Just read the article and agree with both you and the article.

jambos are go!
1 hour ago, Four faces said:

I don't watch the news.If something is important enough to come up in online headlines,i go to lots of different sites(Alternative news) to try and make my own mind up.

We need more details to judge your impartiality. We are all free to examine BBC output and make up our own minds. We need to know your sources to judge.

30 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

We need more details to judge your impartiality. We are all free to examine BBC output and make up our own minds. We need to know your sources to judge.

I have examined BBC output and made up my own mind.I seem to have rattled you somewhat:fing10:oh! and as for your demands,GTF.

jambos are go!
2 hours ago, Four faces said:

I have examined BBC output and made up my own mind.I seem to have rattled you somewhat:fing10:oh! and as for your demands,GTF.

So asking for information is met with GTF. You are obviously not one of the intellectuals on here referred to earlier in this thread!

Pasquale for King

What’s happening at Celtic Kheridine, signed some shite and sold two divers. What’s happening elsewhere, over at Ibrox Rangers have sold a nobody. End of today’s football news. 

Jambo in Bathgate
7 hours ago, John Findlay said:

👍

Jambo in Bathgate
6 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

👍

8 hours ago, Four faces said:

What sites, out of interest?

15 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

What sites, out of interest?

No particular sites.Discussion sites mainly where you will be faced with opinions from both or all sides from credible sources.From there i'll look for evidence to back up the theories.Depends on the subject where you search.Far more time consuming than relying on the mainstream media but that's what i do.

Savage Vince
7 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

We are all free to examine BBC output and make up our own minds. 

Which is what many people have done recently, myself included. The BBC have been misreporting Scotland for a long, long time. More and more people are coming round to realising this and papping them off and none of them need to justify where they're getting their news from to the likes of you. 😊

jambos are go!
12 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

In a a world of lightening speed change in all aspects of media a Drop of around 2% a year in licence payers could be seen as a triumph. Ask a UK newspaper proprietor.  And you thought it was a subscription service not a licence system - that is how well informed you were.

The political debate over e BBC is about how it is funded and not over the quality of its programmes and News. It seems that you were uninformed about that. One way to keep yourself informed is to keep in touch with BBC output in all its forms.

John Findlay
2 hours ago, Four faces said:

No particular sites.Discussion sites mainly where you will be faced with opinions from both or all sides from credible sources.From there i'll look for evidence to back up the theories.Depends on the subject where you search.Far more time consuming than relying on the mainstream media but that's what i do.

I take it with four faces, you can look and talk on four sites at once?

Edinburgh is Scotland's Capital.

I know, I know; I'm stating the bleedin' obvious.

But, how many times do we hear the word 'provincial' used when referring to teams outwith Glasgow?

The fact is that there is one, and only one, club who are Scotland's capital team; and that is Heart of Midlothian.

The gruesome twosome (AKA the 'arse-cheeks', AKA 'the Old Firm'), The 'New Firm', The Sheep, and the Lochenders, plus ALL the rest are ALL, by definition, 'provincial'.

We're from the Capital. Dare I say, "FACT"?

❤❤G❤

4 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Edinburgh is Scotland's Capital.

I know, I know; I'm stating the bleedin' obvious.

But, how many times do we hear the word 'provincial' used when referring to teams outwith Glasgow?

The fact is that there is one, and only one, club who are Scotland's capital team; and that is Heart of Midlothian.

The gruesome twosome (AKA the 'arse-cheeks', AKA 'the Old Firm'), The 'New Firm', The Sheep, and the Lochenders, plus ALL the rest are ALL, by definition, 'provincial'.

We're from the Capital. Dare I say, "FACT"?

❤❤G❤

Technologically, London is Scotland's capital. 

16 hours ago, John Findlay said:

For a good few years now, BBC England as you put it, moved to Salford.

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

For a good few years now, BBC England as you put it, moved to Salford.

I think you will find there HQ is still in London. They moved from Shepherd's Bush to a more central location.

There News comes from Salford(media city) the BBC Big wigs are still in London.

The whole bbc are terrible when it comes to Scottish football.   Last week there was a sports report on radio 5 where they were giving updates on games from the women's champions league.  They gave a couple of scores from english teams while informing listeners that the Celtic women's team were currently in action and if you wanted the score you were told to check their website.   

They gave updates from the other games but couldn't be bothered giving us the Scottish scores. 

Sorry that I gave Celtic women as an example but it sums up their whole attitude towards football up here.  

23 hours ago, John Findlay said:

The Scotsman isn't based in Glasgow. It's based in Edinburgh, Orchard Brae to be specific.

From my six years of living in Glasgow, my experience is a lot more Edinburgh folk have a chip on their shoulder about Glasgow than vice versa.

It's about time Scots appreciated having two thriving cities with a political base in one and a media base in the other. It's healthy.

On the Hearts handover, I'd have thought it was a good general interest story. It was totally undersold with the headline on the BBC website - "Budge hands over Hearts shares." Should have played far more on the largest fan-owned club in the UK.

The handover coming on transfer deadline day will have limited what Reporting Scotland could cover. As mentioned earlier, it was covered elsewhere on their channels.

16 hours ago, Four faces said:

This is a discussion site . Would you call it credible ? 

48 minutes ago, john thomas said:

This is a discussion site . Would you call it credible ? 

There has to be a degree of credibility yes or else why go on it? Whether you trust or take things with a pinch of salt is up to you.On the point of credibility i think you're getting at ie sites discussing a particular news item then credible are Journalists, professors, Historians, social commentators, Doctors, Scientists ex military, Authors on type subject.That's my sources.From there i use my own intuition and form an opinion.Oh! and ordinary citizens like you and i are every bit as credible in many instances.Tell me.Do you believe the mainstream media does not have an agenda? Do you believe there is no bias to any particular item? Do you believe it is always credible?

On 31/08/2021 at 13:39, John Findlay said:

You are correct of course, other than BBC England is now in Manchester.

2 hours ago, Darren said:

The Scotsman isn't based in Glasgow. It's based in Edinburgh, Orchard Brae to be specific.

From my six years of living in Glasgow, my experience is a lot more Edinburgh folk have a chip on their shoulder about Glasgow than vice versa.

It's about time Scots appreciated having two thriving cities with a political base in one and a media base in the other. It's healthy.

On the Hearts handover, I'd have thought it was a good general interest story. It was totally undersold with the headline on the BBC website - "Budge hands over Hearts shares." Should have played far more on the largest fan-owned club in the UK.

The handover coming on transfer deadline day will have limited what Reporting Scotland could cover. As mentioned earlier, it was covered elsewhere on their channels.

Born in the West, live in the East..."You'll have had yer tea" wasn't invented by someone living in Edinburgh if you're talking about chips on shoulders!

Edited by Pans Jambo

44 minutes ago, Four faces said:

There has to be a degree of credibility yes or else why go on it? Whether you trust or take things with a pinch of salt is up to you.On the point of credibility i think you're getting at ie sites discussing a particular news item then credible are Journalists, professors, Historians, social commentators, Doctors, Scientists ex military, Authors on type subject.That's my sources.From there i use my own intuition and form an opinion.Oh! and ordinary citizens like you and i are every bit as credible in many instances.Tell me.Do you believe the mainstream media does not have an agenda? Do you believe there is no bias to any particular item? Do you believe it is always credible?

No . I have a lot of criticisms about all branches of media but they all contribute to the debate . 

The BBC has lots of faults but , without getting into details , we should have a non commercial broadcaster . They also have lots of strings to their bows which go , mostly , unrecognised .

But ,  despite lots of things I disagree with , the BBC is mostly credible .

I come on here for amusement . Don't expect much credible content though am pleasantly surprised , very occasionally