Safe Standing Confirmed for England

A_A wehatethehibs

8 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Our safety certificate doesn’t allow standing. 

I know. The point I was making is that our stadium is safe at its current gradient/pitch and meets the maximum standard within the Scottish Technical Handbook - Non Domestic, which is the statute.

People walk up and down the stairs no problem and people do stand despite what our safety certificate being for seating.

Therefore, if we put in safe standing with all that in mind, I'm sure we would get a safety certificate for standing areas regardless of what the "Green guide" states, that is merely a guide for good practice and not a statute. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A_A wehatethehibs

• davemclaren

• David McCaig

• Phil D. Corners

A_A wehatethehibs
18 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Good info, but the safety certificate specifies that fans are seated. The fact that they choose not to sit is irrelevant and probably a breach of the certificate, which is why the club bring it up so often. If we wanted any standing area the gradient would need to be reduced from 34 to 28 somehow IMO.

The number for "standing areas" is actually 25 degrees - but it appears to me from the document, this is relating to actual covered terraces that have no seats at all installed IE fully standing areas.

It is ambiguous RE the rail seating safe standing being a "standing" section because they are still seats. It's a seated section where standing is able to be permitted. My reading of the related part of document is, the main requirements for the installation of rail seats appear to be row depth, clearways and sightlines:

SG01-Safe-Standing-in-Seated-Areas.pdf (sgsa.org.uk)

The relevant section is on page 11 - SG01 2.3 Safe standing in seated areas – design factors. There is nothing in that section about the gradient. 

56 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The number for "standing areas" is actually 25 degrees - but it appears to me from the document, this is relating to actual covered terraces that have no seats at all installed IE fully standing areas.

It is ambiguous RE the rail seating safe standing being a "standing" section because they are still seats. It's a seated section where standing is able to be permitted. My reading of the related part of document is, the main requirements for the installation of rail seats appear to be row depth, clearways and sightlines:

SG01-Safe-Standing-in-Seated-Areas.pdf (sgsa.org.uk)

The relevant section is on page 11 - SG01 2.3 Safe standing in seated areas – design factors. There is nothing in that section about the gradient. 

Interesting reading. It also says it must be ticketed as one person one rail seat, with no movement allowed and restrictions on the number of people per sq m. My reading of it is it wouldn’t increase capacity, certainly not by very much.

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

I know. The point I was making is that our stadium is safe at its current gradient/pitch and meets the maximum standard within the Scottish Technical Handbook - Non Domestic, which is the statute.

People walk up and down the stairs no problem and people do stand despite what our safety certificate being for seating.

Therefore, if we put in safe standing with all that in mind, I'm sure we would get a safety certificate for standing areas regardless of what the "Green guide" states, that is merely a guide for good practice and not a statute. 

I think the assumption that because folk stand already, when they shouldn’t, can’t be taken as an indication that a derogation on the gradient rule would be given. 

Watt-Zeefuik

As much as I would love to go stand at a game at Tynecastle when I'm through, I'd be even happier to see big sections of Hampden, maybe 50-60% of the stands, converted back to some kind of terracing. I wish they didn't require the rail seats for it but that's better than nothing.

Standing for cup finals and England "friendlies" that are outside of UEFA's purview would be amazing. Get the capacity back to 100-120k if possible.

Probably cost prohibitive, particularly since rail seating means capacity is harder to increase.

Watt-Zeefuik

Also in the long run, it's the Wheatfield that should be expanded, but capacity at Tynecastle isn't going to increase as long as the distillery is there in its current configuration.

There's a serious legal issue here.  If there is a fatal accident in a standing section of the ground it won't be swept under the carpet like Hillsborough.  The clubs, local authorities and government safety departments will all be on the receiving end of a huge legal claim.  

16 hours ago, Cruyff said:

Got to agree.

It surely has to be more safe if altered to standing with a rail at the front on each row.

Currently, when you stand to exit, it is easier to fall over the seat in front as it is below knee height.