Daniel Stendel

Arthur Morgan

I liked Stendel and was happy with his appointment, however his win percentage since getting Barnsley promoted must be horrific. Is he a good manager? The evidence suggests probably not. 

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• sadj

• Alex Kintner

• Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

Bongos different class when it comes to Danny boy. 

Ligue one with Barnsley - Bob has won the championship 3 times. 

Does he rate Bob - no. 

Sf of cup- CL got us to 3.

Does he rate CL, not at the end. 

Stendel Litterally taken the injury ravaged journeyman  CL team who folk thought couldn't get any worse.... and made it worse. 

Any manager that takes us to the bottom of the league has failed miserably. 

If Hearts even play a poor half Bongos all over Bob, yet he's defending Stendel like he's a son. 

Stendel being shite for Hearts is one of the most clear and obvious things that's happened recently, you'd think everyone would atleast agree that. The guy relegated us ffs 🤣,  not the sole reason but the man at the helm when it happened and had ample opportunity to get us out that mess. Even bringing in his we pal that "scores everywhere" except Edinburgh, and that huddle that thought he'd be better than Scott Brown.  Playing the season out he was taking us down

Credit where it’s due. Stendel managed to make a really, really shite Hearts team, even worse.

That’s quite a feat.

5 wins in 17 (2 of which came against lower league opposition) and people (well Bongo) are defending him.

I love this place :lol:

jambo-in-furness
19 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

Stendel being shite for Hearts is one of the most clear and obvious things that's happened recently, you'd think everyone would atleast agree that. The guy relegated us ffs 🤣,  not the sole reason but the man at the helm when it happened and had ample opportunity to get us out that mess. Even bringing in his we pal that "scores everywhere" except Edinburgh, and that huddle that thought he'd be better than Scott Brown.  Playing the season out he was taking us down

We were not relegated.

1 hour ago, been here before said:

See if it wasnt for the players, the owner, the injuries, Covid, not having Savage, and not being Levein or Neilson?

See if it wasnt for blindly standing by the worst keeper the club has ever had, playing a style of football wholly unsuited to what was at his disposal and see if it wasnt for the press?

See if it wasnt for only winning 5 out of 17 games, having no plan B and playing in a way your opponents knew weeks in advance, see if it wasnt for taking the club to an even worse league position than you started and for every other team ending up being better than you?

See if none of this was Daniels fault.

Then Stendel would have won us the league.

FACT.

Am I doing this right?

Pretty much nailed it IMHO. 

4 minutes ago, jambo-in-furness said:

We were not relegated.

If he hadn’t masterminded the absolute abomination of a performance against St Mirren, just 12 days before the first lockdown, then we definitely wouldn’t have been.

Byyy The Light
1 hour ago, been here before said:

See if it wasnt for the players, the owner, the injuries, Covid, not having Savage, and not being Levein or Neilson?

See if it wasnt for blindly standing by the worst keeper the club has ever had, playing a style of football wholly unsuited to what was at his disposal and see if it wasnt for the press?

See if it wasnt for only winning 5 out of 17 games, having no plan B and playing in a way your opponents knew weeks in advance, see if it wasnt for taking the club to an even worse league position than you started and for every other team ending up being better than you?

See if none of this was Daniels fault.

Then Stendel would have won us the league.

FACT.

Am I doing this right?

Spot on.  He was Cathro mk II.

40 minutes ago, jambo-in-furness said:

We were not relegated.

Call it whatever makes you feel better, same result. Due to Stendel's inability to win a few games.  

3 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

We are in a good place right now, and seem to have got our mojo back -and not before time.
Decisions in recent times and throughout the club are a vast improvement on what happened before and long may it continue 

That said, we were abject at worst to mediocre at best in terms of on the park performance over the whole period and between 2016 and 2021. 

In percentage terms Stendel was with us all of 5% of that time and throughout that particular period. 

The real damage was done in the other 95% of time that he wasn’t actually here. Bottom line. 

I agree with that. Even given the poor circumstances he had to deal with when he arrived and the premature end of the season, Stendel had his chance, but results weren't good enough.

Hopefully the lessons have been learned to put the right personnel in the right positions with clear responsibilities, rather than just employing mates of Levein, which seemed to be the case from 2014 on.

8 hours ago, Beni said:

Levein played Pereira in every game after he signed him, except for one when he was injured. The rotating you mention didn't happen. 

It was you who brought Levein into the discussion, and you're using Pereira as a stick to beat Stendel with, when he didn't sign him or play him as often as Levein.

Pereira should be used as a stick to beat Stendel with

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Does he rate Bob - no. 

Stendel Litterally taken the injury ravaged journeyman  CL team who folk thought couldn't get any worse.... and made it worse. 

If Hearts even play a poor half Bongos all over Bob, yet he's defending Stendel like he's a son. 

He didn't even win league 1, he's won **** all in his career.

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I've not said he shouldn't.

But he should also be used as a stick to beat Levein.

The original thread about him was resurrected recently, and plenty folk had clocked him as an absolute imposter after a few games, but our coaches either missed it during their due diligence, or didn't do any. 

Edited by Beni

Time to stop raking over the past, Levein, Stendel etc etc. They've gone.

We have made a decent start to the league season, let's concentrate on the future.

3 minutes ago, Beni said:

I've not said he shouldn't.

But he should also be used as a stick to beat Levein.

The original thread about him was resurrected recently, and plenty folk had clocked him as an absolute imposter after a few games.

Just saying as we're on the Stendel thread.

The funny thing is that what's actually harmed my opinion of him most is Bongo going on and on and on in the most ridiculously biased fashion about him. Before that I was kind of negative with a touch of What If, now I've been forced to look at all the claims I'm full on anti Dan, he was shite.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Just saying as we're on the Stendel thread.

The funny thing is that what's actually harmed my opinion of him most is Bongo going on and on and on in the most ridiculously biased fashion about him. Before that I was kind of negative with a touch of What If, now I've been forced to look at all the claims I'm full on anti Dan, he was shite.

Fair enough, I was responding to another poster who'd brought Levein up.

Likewise I was a bit disappointed it didn't work out, but that has disappeared with the benefit of hindsight, conversely I find Bongo's pining quite amusing. 😆

think one weakness of Stendel was no plan B.

The reason we cuffed hibs and sevco was that they were two teams playing to attack so left us space to exploit, score and win those games.

It's the other games we should've scrapped like buggery to secure draws and points. 

I applaud Stendel for having a style / desire to play in a certain way. But the best managers adapt to the situation & opposition. I didn't see any evidence of this.

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

The reason we cuffed hibs and sevco was that they were two teams playing to attack so left us space to exploit, score and win those games.

It's the other games we should've scrapped like buggery to secure draws and points. 

I applaud Stendel for having a style / desire to play in a certain way. But the best managers adapt to the situation & opposition. I didn't see any evidence of this.

The thing is, Stendel didn't need to be the best or anywhere near it, he just had to keep us up - Litterally keeping us were we where when he taken over would have been good enough. 

He couldn't even manage that. 

33 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

Good post. Teams like St Mirren and Hamilton, knew how to defend against us. We simply didn’t have the players to fully implement the style of play that Stendel wanted. He couldn’t adapt and play to the strength of the squad he had.

Spitonastranger
2 hours ago, EH11 2NL said:

We were relegated FFS 😄 any Hearts fan knows that.

14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The thing is, Stendel didn't need to be the best or anywhere near it, he just had to keep us up - Litterally keeping us were we where when he taken over would have been good enough. 

He couldn't even manage that. 

he obvs tried to go all in with his ethos and change the whole shooting match from day one. In hindsight he should've just kept us ticking over and then sat with Budge once safety was assured and demanded the removal of all the previous backroom staff and have a clean slate for the next season.

will never know. happy with how Nielsen is doing now.

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Jim Panzee said:

he obvs tried to go all in with his ethos and change the whole shooting match from day one. In hindsight he should've just kept us ticking over and then sat with Budge once safety was assured and demanded the removal of all the previous backroom staff and have a clean slate for the next season.

will never know. happy with how Nielsen is doing now.

Agreed. 

Stendel must be the unluckiest manager going. Internal club Issues, not backed by club, shite players, had to play young players, shit DoF, shit owner, had to sell best players at every single club he’s been at ? Well in bongos head anyway. Funny how he had no of these issues when he managed to get promoted. As I say unlucky as ****. 😂

There's no doubt that the circumstances and timing of his appointment at Hearts did not help him to be successful, the same would have been true of any manager.

However, it's increasingly difficult to defend his record when it's looking like he's headed towards another failure on his CV.

I still think that the German coaching style was worth trying, and Stendel based on his success and popularity at Barnsley and also his availability, was the most obtainable and attractive candidate to try this with at the time.

3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Does he rate Bob - no. 

The Anglo French league? 

Spitonastranger
33 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

er....all Hearts fans I'd imagine?

I was talking about you puling me up for the spelling, read my original post and thats the point i was making. Maybe reading isnt your strongest point. 

Just now, Spitonastranger said:

I was talking about you puling me up for the spelling, read my original post and thats the point i was making. Maybe reading isnt your strongest point. 

uhm, in your original post you said we were relegated. I replied to say we weren't. you then said who cares?

I took that to read as you saying "who cares if we were relegated"

in your mind you were referring to spelling - but it didn't come across that way. no biggie. 

in fact to quote you.....'who cares' lol 🤪👍

Spitonastranger
2 minutes ago, Jim Panzee said:

uhm, in your original post you said we were relegated. I replied to say we weren't. you then said who cares?

I took that to read as you saying "who cares if we were relegated"

in your mind you were referring to spelling - but it didn't come across that way. no biggie. 

in fact to quote you.....'who cares' lol 🤪👍

oops i apologise i have just read my original post back and you are right, i meant to quote the guy saying about relagation and make the point that we were demoted, my bad 😆

rudi must stay

Liked him and we play some gorgeous stuff under him, where did Bozanic lean to strike a ball like that, the answer from Daniel Stendel. Would have stuck with him to be honest but I can see new football under Neilson so I'm content with him 

44 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Liked him and we play some gorgeous stuff under him, where did Bozanic lean to strike a ball like that, the answer from Daniel Stendel. Would have stuck with him to be honest but I can see new football under Neilson so I'm content with him 

Jesus Christ 😒

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

He didn't even win league 1, he's won **** all in his career.

As a noodle, not a stick. ;) I refuse to believe Pereira has any rigidity in his entire body having watched him impersonating a goalkeeper!

12 minutes ago, Barack said:

Levein gets credit for Austin McCann then, in that case, surely...?

I couldn't complain about Levein during that time, when you consider how we were financially, was his football great to watch at times no, but there were games we did play good football, 5-1 at home, in Europe, he did improve players, but in his last spell can you say he did that? He finished 3rd in his first spell and in Europe, but under better circumstances he didn't do it second time around. 

A_A wehatethehibs

What’s happened to bump this thread, has he got sacked from his job in the Farmer’s league with 2 league wins from 14 or something? 

3 minutes ago, Barack said:

Meant teaching McCann how to shoot in all honesty...

Yes as i said Barack, he improved players 👍during that time. 

13 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

What’s happened to bump this thread, has he got sacked from his job in the Farmer’s league with 2 league wins from 14 or something? 

Not sacked yet. Nancy played another struggling team last night. 1-1 at half time with the opposition reduced to 10men. Lost 4-1. Sitting on 3points after 9 games. Someone thought that was an interesting enough result to bump the thread. I agree. But we've then had pages of exactly the same arguments repeated from earlier in the thread.

3 hours ago, Dazo said:

Stendel must be the unluckiest manager going. Internal club Issues, not backed by club, shite players, had to play young players, shit DoF, shit owner, had to sell best players at every single club he’s been at ? Well in bongos head anyway. Funny how he had no of these issues when he managed to get promoted. As I say unlucky as ****. 😂

All i try to do is give an unbiased opinion of every club he's been at, at Barnsley first season he was great, you have seen Barnsley supporters come on here and say that, second season they came on and said he had his team ripped apart and the transfer committee replaced them with young prospect players, this is a philosophy of chien lee at every club he owns they all play the same way, and recruit  scout the same way, moneyball approach, 

Now before the championship season started stendel went to the board, and said can i have 2-3 experienced players for this league, as it's totally different to English league 1,the board refused this as they have an age signing policy, 

You will also see at his time at Nancy he lost 4 of the team's best players, and they have been replaced by loan signings from affiliated clubs of chien lee, they also have to play youth. 

I just feel when you consider these circumstances, you have to give him time and a chance to get it right. 

Robbie or Levein never had those circumstances ever, infact we turned down a bid for Souttar recently, if that had been the Barnsley or chien lee club they would've accepted it right away. 

Chien lee tried to buy Hearts last summer Ann refused, his plans were to bring stendel in if the bid was successful👍

Again I've watched there games this season and they aren't a bad team, they lack a cutting edge in attack. 

But they are also playing youth players in a tough league, 3 academy players have made there league debuts this season, 

1 ⃣ Axel Guessand 16 years and 295 days on 08/28/21 5 ⃣ Warren Bondo 17 years and 312 days old on 07/24/21 1 ⃣ 0 ⃣ Lamine Cissé 18 years and 159 days on 07/24/21

Again why anyone would take pleasure in a manager / coach in failing, when the guy who was an unknown to the club was prepared to waive his full wage during are struggling times, you really have to question the mindset and mentality of some on here, while club legends and other staff took a wage out the club. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

been here before
18 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

No, no its not as bad as that. They're currently bottom having played 9, win nothing, drawn three and lost 6 having shipped 18 goals in the process. They have scored 5 though so thats good.

The important thing to remember though is that none of it is Daniels fault. Its all to do with the owner and the players and Im sure the sun was in someones eyes at some point. Its also got something to do with him not being Robbie Neilson or Craig Levein.

Edited by been here before

In no way am i saying he shouldn't of won games at us or Nancy, he needs to be doing better, very much a must win for him on Friday at home 👍

1 minute ago, Barack said:

Aye. But I wasn't being serious. Levein wasn't lining them up at practice to score 25 yard on the run, on the angle, 90th minute screamers. He can't get credit for that, as it's one of those spur of the moment technique things. 

Same with Bozanic's Hibs goal. Assuming that's what's being inferred. Good technique. But he was not bad technically anyway. I thought, at least. Stendel can't take credit for Bozanic bending that in, anymore than Levein. You can hit 50 of those in training. 5% would be an good ratio of success.

Anyway. It's not a Levein v Stendel issue. It was a throwaway comment.

I wouldn't give full credit to Stendel for the goal against Hibs, what i would say bozanic never showed that sort of ability during Craig's time would that be fair? Maybe that was to do with stendel having a more attacking approach? 

Captain Lithuania

Stendel made things harder for himself than they needed to be at Hearts. He is the one and only reason he didn’t get to be Hearts manager the following season. I wanted him to be, but he didn’t deserve the chance to be. 

7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I wouldn't give full credit to Stendel for the goal against Hibs, what i would say bozanic never showed that sort of ability during Craig's time would that be fair? Maybe that was to do with stendel having a more attacking approach? 

Bozanic literally scored a 25 yard free kick under Levein in his first start?