Daniel Stendel

Arthur Morgan

5 minutes ago, pointon said:

Will be lucky to get another gig

As a football manager I would say unemployable now but to be fair to the man I am sure there will be managers who actually have lower win ratios . His tenures at Hearts and Nancy have destroyed what was a decent win and GD ratio statistic.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• sadj

• Alex Kintner

• Bazzas right boot

On 23/09/2021 at 18:20, ToqueJambo said:

One thing I'm sure we can all agree on. Let's not rush to appoint a permanent manager mid-season again. Sack the incumbent by all means if he's leading us down the wrong path but let a coach or player-manager take over or bring in a JJ or Robbo as caretaker, and use the time to find the right person and give them a pre-season, their own team, etc to set us up for the new season.

It didn't work when we were flying high in 2nd place and it didn't work when we were near the bottom of the table.

Nope, I don't agree at all. Levein was sacked at the end of October and Stendel appointed in early December. He had more than enough time to get the team in some sort of shape but made a complete and utter mess of it. An interim appointment would have been just as likely to end in disaster, with us limping along, completely directionless, through the season.  What was needed was to make the right appointment. Stendel was clueless and so was Cathro. Neither of them failed because they were appointed mid-season, they failed because they were useless at management. 

The way he had the team set-up was really naive IMO - a complete gift to the opposition. Much of the positivity about him was really about fans who were just happy that Levein had gone. The signings that he made were generally very poor. I wish him well, but the reality is we were going nowhere with him in charge.

4 hours ago, John Findlay said:

A certain poster will be easy to spot at Tynecastle today. He will be the one with Black armbands around both arms.

Will go nicely with the one he wears over his eyes.

43 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

This thread will be quiet as the Nancy forums will have a new member called Bongeau to deal with. 

He'll be raging as they've started calling him le ching alteady

13 hours ago, Alex Kintner said:

That’s surely not the manager’s fault! 

::troll::

Was just thinking that , waiting to hear again how its not his fault they couldn’t beat 10 last week and 9 this week being the owners fault. Shame as hes a likeable guy but surely needs to reign in his style a bit

1 hour ago, Stendelnator said:

This thread will be quiet as the Nancy forums will have a new member called Bongeau to deal with. 

14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He'll be raging as they've started calling him le ching alteady

Brilliant lads 🤣 

Just now, stirlo said:

The way he had the team set-up was really naive IMO - a complete gift to the opposition. Much of the positivity about him was really about fans who were just happy that Levein had gone. The signings that he made were generally very poor. I wish him well, but the reality is we were going nowhere with him in charge.

Stendel had his faults but his vision of what he wanted to do no-one was complaining about at the time. The atmosphere at Tynecastle was great as his enthusiasm for the game fired through to the stands but unfortunately for him, he took over 3 and a half years of downward spiral and a team that consisted of a few players in their comfort zone who didn't give a hoot if they won or not. The likes of Berra who went bleating to the press, Mulraney who showed no respect for his manager, Whelan who was only there to keep himself fit and a few others. He turned Clare around and even Bozanic amongst others. He signed four players, two looked good and two didn't. Boyce and Sibbick being decent, Avdijaj and Langer not. He was also stuck with the previous manager's other poor signings like Damour, McLean and Wighton etc., he was on a hiding to nothing. Wish him no harm, it didn't work out due to various things and we move on. 

Feel a bit sorry for the guy he’s came into two clubs that are in a mess with both not really willing to back him 100 % . I suppose their isn’t many job you get as a football manager where you can settle into the job with the team ticking over. Anyway best of luck to the guy wherever he ends up, and hopefully the endless arguing over him will now end 😁

Every time you read anything about him people talk about he ‘wants’ his team to play, and the type of football he ‘tries’ to get them playing. 
Almost anyone on here if they were in charge of a team would ‘want’ them to play a certain way and ‘try’ to play that system.  It that doesn’t mean we could manage to make it happen, and I feel he’s the same. Lots of great ideas but doesn’t actually make it happen. 

Edited by Tazio

Guest ToqueJambo
5 hours ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Nope, I don't agree at all. Levein was sacked at the end of October and Stendel appointed in early December. He had more than enough time to get the team in some sort of shape but made a complete and utter mess of it. An interim appointment would have been just as likely to end in disaster, with us limping along, completely directionless, through the season.  What was needed was to make the right appointment. Stendel was clueless and so was Cathro. Neither of them failed because they were appointed mid-season, they failed because they were useless at management. 

Maybe I phrased it badly. Making a risky or experimental permanent appointment mid season is not a good idea - both Cathro and Stendel were risky for different reasons. Stendel had a good amount of time and a transfer window and Cathro  just messed with things for no reason. I thought I'd like to see Stendel back - definitely not now. A good example of a manager who has one good season but can't replicate it, probably helped by German managers and gegenpresse being "in vogue' when we appointed him.

Anyhow we have a good attack minded manager now who knows how he wants us to play, can sign players to play that way and can communicate what he wants to the players. Today was as good a team performance as you'll see from us - not a single poor performance. So many positives all over the park and an excellent win in what we were told was a "must win" game. Can't wait to see how this team does when all the players are up to speed fitness wise and have played together more.

3 hours ago, jambonian said:

Stendel had his faults but his vision of what he wanted to do no-one was complaining about at the time. The atmosphere at Tynecastle was great as his enthusiasm for the game fired through to the stands but unfortunately for him, he took over 3 and a half years of downward spiral and a team that consisted of a few players in their comfort zone who didn't give a hoot if they won or not. The likes of Berra who went bleating to the press, Mulraney who showed no respect for his manager, Whelan who was only there to keep himself fit and a few others. He turned Clare around and even Bozanic amongst others. He signed four players, two looked good and two didn't. Boyce and Sibbick being decent, Avdijaj and Langer not. He was also stuck with the previous manager's other poor signings like Damour, McLean and Wighton etc., he was on a hiding to nothing. Wish him no harm, it didn't work out due to various things and we move on. 

I agree he inherited a situation of a bloated squad of players who either weren't motivated or were just downright rubbish.

He also had to work on his own for the first month or so, but even given these difficult circumstances I still think there was more than enough quality in the squad to get out of the relegation zone.

He should have been more pragmatic in changing the style of play, what he did took time and there were signs of improvement, but time wasn't a luxury he had.

When he came in he should've told the squad it was a fresh start, they all had the chance to impress, and he was excited with the talent he had at his disposal. Anything to get them motivated, raise their confidence, and get the new manager bounce.

Instead he criticised the senior players after a couple of games, and publicly said he wanted new players in but would have to ship some out first. Honesty isn't always the best policy.

If he's able to get another job in football now, you'd imagine it's going to be at a very modest level.

That said, in an interview earlier this year he didn't rule out another crack at the Hearts job...  :shocked666: 

Edited by Beni

5 hours ago, Beni said:

I agree he inherited a situation of a bloated squad of players who either weren't motivated or were just downright rubbish.

He also had to work on his own for the first month or so, but even given these difficult circumstances I still think there was more than enough quality in the squad to get out of the relegation zone.

He should have been more pragmatic in changing the style of play, what he did took time and there were signs of improvement, but time wasn't a luxury he had.

When he came in he should've told the squad it was a fresh start, they all had the chance to impress, and he was excited with the talent he had at his disposal. Anything to get them motivated, raise their confidence, and get the new manager bounce.

Instead he criticised the senior players after a couple of games, and publicly said he wanted new players in but would have to ship some out first. Honesty isn't always the best policy.

If he's able to get another job in football now, you'd imagine it's going to be at a very modest level.

That said, in an interview earlier this year he didn't rule out another crack at the Hearts job...  :shocked666: 

All i remember after a few weeks in the job he said he was shocked at the condition of the players for a professional football club. There was maybe something in that. Under Levein the injury situation was ridiculous and always a mystery as to why. Perhaps it was the way they were coached, who knows. But i do remember a mid-week game (under levein) where we were at home against Dundee and we were second to every loose ball. That was happening in a lot of games over a longer period where we ran out of steam with at least 20 minutes to go. Some players were up for how Stendel wanted to go about things, others pretty-much downed tools. I still think there was a wee bit of interference and bad-mouthing behind the scenes with Levein  hanging around like a bad smell. Stendel was starting to reduce the dead wood but it was always going to be at least 18 months for him to get his own squad together and, with some players on longer contracts, he was limited to what he could do straight away. Did he make mistakes? Yes, and for me not sorting out the defence in that January transfer window was the main one. He was working with a squad of players who were signed to play in a certain style and a lot couldn't or wouldn't adapt. Shame really. 

As for him returning....i can't see it. Perhaps he feels frustrated and has unfinished business, something he would want to prove to his doubters. If he was to return to Scotland though, i doubt it would be at Hearts, not now.

6 minutes ago, jambonian said:

All i remember after a few weeks in the job he said he was shocked at the condition of the players for a professional football club. There was maybe something in that. Under Levein the injury situation was ridiculous and always a mystery as to why. Perhaps it was the way they were coached, who knows. But i do remember a mid-week game (under levein) where we were at home against Dundee and we were second to every loose ball. That was happening in a lot of games over a longer period where we ran out of steam with at least 20 minutes to go. Some players were up for how Stendel wanted to go about things, others pretty-much downed tools. I still think there was a wee bit of interference and bad-mouthing behind the scenes with Levein  hanging around like a bad smell. Stendel was starting to reduce the dead wood but it was always going to be at least 18 months for him to get his own squad together and, with some players on longer contracts, he was limited to what he could do straight away. Did he make mistakes? Yes, and for me not sorting out the defence in that January transfer window was the main one. He was working with a squad of players who were signed to play in a certain style and a lot couldn't or wouldn't adapt. Shame really. 

As for him returning....i can't see it. Perhaps he feels frustrated and has unfinished business, something he would want to prove to his doubters. If he was to return to Scotland though, i doubt it would be at Hearts, not now.

Dunfermline I would think. 

On 26/09/2021 at 13:36, davemclaren said:

Dunfermline I would think. 

Really can’t see him lowering himself to that level.

And by “him” I mean the Dunfermline chairman.

Stendel was a very likeable chap, in maybe in another period, could have been good for us. But unfortunately it never worked out and that's that, end of.

I always found his appointment at Nancy utterly bizarre. Given that he's a manager who likes to play an attacking, high press style, I really never thought the French 2nd division was right for him. Reckon he needs to go back to the German lower leagues and rebuild.

Bazzas right boot

Maybe he would make a good assistant manager. 

Maybe Robbie could take him on, be a good balance, save Bob putting the cones out and Danny can learn from a good manager. 

:jambobanana:

56 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Really can’t see him lowering himself to that level.

And by “him” I mean the Dunfermline chairman.

They are owned by Germans. 

There must be something in the air that is suggestive that managers can be at clubs and have good and bad times without necessarily being a shite or good manager 

DS in League 1 season in England in 2018/2019 played 46 matches in the league. Lost 7, drew 13 and won 26 

What I can’t get my head around is that they lost 39 goals, over 46 games - less than a goal a game. Best defence in the league and this was a team he inherited 

This probably re emphasises the difficulties and negative results with Daniel playing Pereira as to lose less than a goal a game over 46 games suggests that the keeper and defence were on top form - but he was still gegenpressing down there 🤷‍♂️

Look at what happened with RN at MK Dons, over the full season, and yet look at how he has us playing now, riding high at the summit, chasing down the Orcs inclusive of the talented and hungry squad that he has built. 

It’s all went horribly pearshaped for DS since he left us. It doesn’t give me any pleasure at all seeing what has happened to him.    

I guess sometimes with managers it’s not a case of them just either being good or shite and more a case of them at different points in their career where they make good decisions and bad decisions and also how club circumstances, at the particular time, influence their decisions - good and bad. 

Hope he comes back and gets himself another gig soon although this is going to make it really difficult for him to probably get the gig he wants.

He was a good guy - most definitely wanted the best for us and gave up his wage to try and help the club when times were bleak. He loved the passion from the stands and as much as there were bad times I’ll remember the good times - especially fester road. Absolutely rag dolled the mutants that particular evening. 

1 hour ago, karipidis said:

In his last 35 league games as a manager he has won 2 games. 

😂😂😂

Still can’t all have been his fault. I blame the groundsmen who cut the grass the wrong way. 

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

There must be something in the air that is suggestive that managers can be at clubs and have good and bad times without necessarily being a shite or good manager 

DS in League 1 season in England in 2018/2019 played 46 matches in the league. Lost 7, drew 13 and won 26 

What I can’t get my head around is that they lost 39 goals, over 46 games - less than a goal a game. Best defence in the league and this was a team he inherited 

This probably re emphasises the difficulties and negative results with Daniel playing Pereira as to lose less than a goal a game over 46 games suggests that the keeper and defence were on top form - but he was still gegenpressing down there 🤷‍♂️

Look at what happened with RN at MK Dons, over the full season, and yet look at how he has us playing now, riding high at the summit, chasing down the Orcs inclusive of the talented and hungry squad that he has built. 

It’s all went horribly pearshaped for DS since he left us. It doesn’t give me any pleasure at all seeing what has happened to him.    

I guess sometimes with managers it’s not a case of them just either being good or shite and more a case of them at different points in their career where they make good decisions and bad decisions and also how club circumstances, at the particular time, influence their decisions - good and bad. 

Hope he comes back and gets himself another gig soon although this is going to make it really difficult for him to probably get the gig he wants.

He was a good guy - most definitely wanted the best for us and gave up his wage to try and help the club when times were bleak. He loved the passion from the stands and as much as there were bad times I’ll remember the good times - especially fester road. Absolutely rag dolled the mutants that particular evening. 

100%

Fair post. 

I really loved the Daniel Stendel song. But my favourite line was 'Stendel's got us playing HEARTS ARE BACK!'. 

The whole emotion of Hearts being BACK is great. And I feel like we really are back. It's a great feeling.

Dennis Reynolds
On 28/09/2021 at 02:54, Hearts1975 said:

Very good post.

The Old Tolbooth

Excellent post that, I genuinely don't get people sticking the boot into the guy and wishing the worst for him, he was a damn good egg who came to us at an impossible time and I for one felt really sorry for him (or anyone thrust into that role at that time tbh). Nancy are also in a shambolic state and no one going in there will turn that round any time soon either, I wish him nothing but the best for his managerial future. 

Very good post.

The problem for any head coach that has even one bad spell at a club, is that their stock/ reputation can be so badly damaged that they are then in a position where they can't be selective about their next job and indeed may not get another offer at all.

The really bad spell that John Hughes had at Raith, arguably put him out of the game for years for example, despite him having a reasonable track record in the Scottish game.

On 23/09/2021 at 17:20, gorgieheart said:

wrong man, wrong job...should never have been anywhere near Hearts...

Not quite sure what kind of Diamond he was supposed to be , but was more cubic zirconia

Strongly agree. Nothing against the guy but only had one style of play. You can get away with it in the English leagues to an extent as you only play each opponent twice, up here playing 3 or 4 times a season they would have figured him out faster even if it did work. Would also love to know if it was his decision to stick with Pereira for so long or whether he had to play if fit under the terms of the loan.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

Excellent post that, I genuinely don't get people sticking the boot into the guy and wishing the worst for him, he was a damn good egg who came to us at an impossible time and I for one felt really sorry for him (or anyone thrust into that role at that time tbh). Nancy are also in a shambolic state and no one going in there will turn that round any time soon either, I wish him nothing but the best for his managerial future. 

Folk have been sticking the boot In to Bob for years. 

I agree with your sentment, I liked Stendel, but the hypocrisy of folk defending him when our own have been getting it tight  on here is not lost.