• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• sadj

• Alex Kintner

• Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Committed murder according to some on here, was too blame for the downfall of Heart of Midlothian, the only crime he committed was giving up his wage in order to make sure our club was okay, ungrateful b*****s. 

He was a nice guy. 

Everyone wanted him to succeed. 

He never. 

The end 

8 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Not true, I stick up for Stendel during his time at us because he was unfairly treated, at Nancy i see the bigger picture and have done research on the team and what he came into, rather than just saying he's shite etc there's a difference 😁

Untreated unfairly by us, bigger picture at Nancy, Wasn’t backed at Barnsley. Any unfortunate reasons for his sacking at Hanover Bongo ? 😂

8 hours ago, luckydug said:

Then why are you banging on about a manager who is no longer at the club ? 

It's history move on ffs. 

Was thinking the same, only memory i have of him was losing to st midden, time to forget.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Was thinking the same, only memory i have of him was losing to st midden, time to forget.

We lost a few more besides that as well but his last act will linger long in my memory. Of course, if the season had been called right after we had beaten Hibs he might well have been kept on and still be manager. 

Life is all about luck and timing. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

It's a fair point about the wages Bongo but it just didn't work out for him. I like him but managers come and go these days. Time to let it go mate.

This is so true.

Imo I think he would succeed at a club with his own team, his own transfer window and a decent budget with being backed by the board. He didn’t get this from us. I though he was treated unfairly by our club at times. He quickly identified what was wrong with our players. Too old, not fit enough, too slow and frankly apathy had set in by the time he arrived.  There must also be a correlation with our training back then and the amount of injuries. I loved Stendels energy and passion. This is our castle was a great example of this. Sadly that’s where the love affair for me ends. He failed, let’s move on. No amount of tears will bring him back. He’s commended for giving up his wage and the ending could’ve been handled better. Remember AB said she couldn’t reach him by phone to inform him before the press release🤔. I didn’t buy it then and I’m nit buying it now. 

DS had a decent footballing philosophy but a blind man could see that the players at his disposal couldn’t play the high press for love nor money and this for me is where he messed up. 2 goals conceded at home to Hamilton inside 15 mins proved this. He actually made us worse than the previous incumbent who I still lay the blame at his door for the past 6 years. How on earth did stendel think he could play that system with those players is reprehensible really so in essence he failed at our club and paid the price for it. He wasn’t  the man to take us to the next level amd I think AB finally woke up to this. We are in a far better place this season and fwiw, I think RN still needs to prove himself to our support as I’m not sure he’s the answer to our needs but time will tell. put it this way, I’d rather have him than that Aussie guy at Celtic so it’s nit like decent managers are in abundance.  It’s all relevant in the end and it’s water well under the bridge now. 

Levein mugged each and every one of us, off with his lackadaisical efforts and turned us into a laughing stock. That documentary on us was cringeworthy at times. 

Like I said, that was almost 2 years ago. We move on! 

10 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

6 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

We lost a few more besides that as well but his last act will linger long in my memory. Of course, if the season had been called right after we had beaten Hibs he might well have been kept on and still be manager. 

Life is all about luck and timing. 

Yep, will never forgive him for that night at St Mirren and it made me much angrier than the Brora result or the cup defeat to Hibs. So much was riding on that match and we just never turned up.

22 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

Yep, will never forgive him for that night at St Mirren and it made me much angrier than the Brora result or the cup defeat to Hibs. So much was riding on that match and we just never turned up.

Yeah, same

9 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Out of interest, if either of you were chairman of a club looking to appoint a new manager, would you appoint a guy who had a CV that can be summmarised as:

1. Took over a club in the relegation zone of top flight of German football late in the season. Couldn't improve their form/ position. Relegated.

2. Sacked two-thrids of way through German second division season with club outside the promotion places. New manager significantly improved them and got promoted.

3. Succesful season in third teir of English football. Came second and got promoted back to the level the club normally played at. Played attacking football that was popular with fans.

4. Sacked in early October after no wins in 10 games in English Championship, with club in relegation zone. New manager imrpoved form and club avoided relegation.

5. Took over club in December just above the relegation zone. Failed to improve form which slipped to the bottom of the league by March when the season was suspended without completing. Club demoted. Break clause in contract triggered.

6. Took over club in French second division. Started season with no wins and 3 points from first 9 games.

If Bongo was his agent, you could listen to a whole lot of mitigating factors for why five of those seasons don't count, and why the one succesful season is the only one that it is fair to consider. Would you appoint him?

You could make similar lists for most managers, Neilson for example

1. Wins Championship in first season, however knocked out of all cups in the first round

2. Finishes 3rd in Scottish Premiership, however defeated by Championship Club Hibs in the Scottish Cup 5th round after being 2-0 up, loses replay and Hibs go on to win the cup

3. Loses to Maltese minnows Birkirkara in the UEFA cup with a humiliating home defeat

4. Joins MK Dons fails to get them promoted and sacked mid-way through his 2nd season, with the team he left behind eventually suffering relegation to the 4th tier of English football

5. Appointed mid season at Dundee United, despite a huge budgetary advantage and being heavily backed in the transfer market in relative terms, fails to gain automatic promotion and loses the play off final to St Mirren

6 Manages to get Dundee United promoted with a budget 3 or 4x his nearest competitor in the division

7 Joins Hearts, team largely unconvincing all season, playing turgid football manages to win the league with a few games to spare despite a massive budgetary advantage over his competitors, the club suffers perhaps it's most humiliating result of all time at Brora Rangers

I wrote that list despite being in favour of Robbie Neilson and was against his potential dismissal as head coach following Brora after a period of contemplation and I'm very supportive of him going forward.

Timing and circumstance play a huge part in whether a manager/head coach is successful. At the time we appointed Stendel, he'd had a successful full season at Barnsley, playing attractive football and I still think that the German coaching methodology seemed desirable and in the right circumstance it would have been a risk worth taking.

It didn't work out and he's clearly having another failure at Nancy. Again the circumstances he's gone into don't appear to have been ideal, but then given his stock was low, he was probably in less of position to be choosy.

Anyway I'm glad we've got Neilson now and here's hoping that he continues to be successful.

31 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

This is so true.

Imo I think he would succeed at a club with his own team, his own transfer window and a decent budget with being backed by the board. He didn’t get this from us. I though he was treated unfairly by our club at times. He quickly identified what was wrong with our players. Too old, not fit enough, too slow and frankly apathy had set in by the time he arrived.  There must also be a correlation with our training back then and the amount of injuries. I loved Stendels energy and passion. This is our castle was a great example of this. Sadly that’s where the love affair for me ends. He failed, let’s move on. No amount of tears will bring him back. He’s commended for giving up his wage and the ending could’ve been handled better. Remember AB said she couldn’t reach him by phone to inform him before the press release🤔. I didn’t buy it then and I’m nit buying it now. 

DS had a decent footballing philosophy but a blind man could see that the players at his disposal couldn’t play the high press for love nor money and this for me is where he messed up. 2 goals conceded at home to Hamilton inside 15 mins proved this. He actually made us worse than the previous incumbent who I still lay the blame at his door for the past 6 years. How on earth did stendel think he could play that system with those players is reprehensible really so in essence he failed at our club and paid the price for it. He wasn’t  the man to take us to the next level amd I think AB finally woke up to this. We are in a far better place this season and fwiw, I think RN still needs to prove himself to our support as I’m not sure he’s the answer to our needs but time will tell. put it this way, I’d rather have him than that Aussie guy at Celtic so it’s nit like decent managers are in abundance.  It’s all relevant in the end and it’s water well under the bridge now. 

Levein mugged each and every one of us, off with his lackadaisical efforts and turned us into a laughing stock. That documentary on us was cringeworthy at times. 

Like I said, that was almost 2 years ago. We move on! 

Don't really disagree with any of that. 👍

55 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Untreated unfairly by us, bigger picture at Nancy, Wasn’t backed at Barnsley. Any unfortunate reasons for his sacking at Hanover Bongo ? 😂

That’s what I don’t get. His record is pretty terrible and he’s won nothing so why would anyone want to compare it to Robbie’s who has actually won leagues and performed well in the top flight. 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Alex Kintner said:

That’s what I don’t get. His record is pretty terrible and he’s won nothing so why would anyone want to compare it to Robbie’s who has actually won leagues and performed well in the top flight. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The comparisons are all a bit pointless really. They guy is a serial failure and his record shows this. Although this is through no fault of his own though. 🙄😂

41 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

You could make similar lists for most managers, Neilson for example

1. Wins Championship in first season, however knocked out of all cups in the first round

2. Finishes 3rd in Scottish Premiership, however defeated by Championship Club Hibs in the Scottish Cup 5th round after being 2-0 up, loses replay and Hibs go on to win the cup

3. Loses to Maltese minnows Birkirkara in the UEFA cup with a humiliating home defeat

4. Joins MK Dons fails to get them promoted and sacked mid-way through his 2nd season, with the team he left behind eventually suffering relegation to the 4th tier of English football

5. Appointed mid season at Dundee United, despite a huge budgetary advantage and being heavily backed in the transfer market in relative terms, fails to gain automatic promotion and loses the play off final to St Mirren

6 Manages to get Dundee United promoted with a budget 3 or 4x his nearest competitor in the division

7 Joins Hearts, team largely unconvincing all season, playing turgid football manages to win the league with a few games to spare despite a massive budgetary advantage over his competitors, the club suffers perhaps it's most humiliating result of all time at Brora Rangers

I wrote that list despite being in favour of Robbie Neilson and was against his potential dismissal as head coach following Brora after a period of contemplation and I'm very supportive of him going forward.

Timing and circumstance play a huge part in whether a manager/head coach is successful. At the time we appointed Stendel, he'd had a successful full season at Barnsley, playing attractive football and I still think that the German coaching methodology seemed desirable and in the right circumstance it would have been a risk worth taking.

It didn't work out and he's clearly having another failure at Nancy. Again the circumstances he's gone into don't appear to have been ideal, but then given his stock was low, he was probably in less of position to be choosy.

Anyway I'm glad we've got Neilson now and here's hoping that he continues to be successful.

Those two lists are very different. Mine was based on taking a single line for each league season. Your list is a range of highlights from Neilson's career, with various factual errors, subjective judgements and superfluous details thrown in.

Timing and circumstance might play a huge part, but when someone has been at 4 different clubs in various different circumstances, and performed really badly in 5 out of 6 seasons, it doesn't seem unreasonable to conclude that he isn't a great manager

If we just say that it is so driven by timing and circumstances that we can't make judgements, then there is little point of any discussion about football, we might as well judge Shankly's ability as manager as being indistinguishable from Tommy McLean's because they both managed in different circumstances. If that is the approach, then managers might as well be appointed based on a lucky dip.

I'll try asking again, because people seem to find it amazingly hard to answer the simple question in my post. If you were a club chairman, would you appoint a manager with Stendel's CV?

7 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Those two lists are very different. Mine was based on taking a single line for each league season. Your list is a range of highlights from Neilson's career, with various factual errors, subjective judgements and superfluous details thrown in.

Timing and circumstance might play a huge part, but when someone has been at 4 different clubs in various different circumstances, and performed really badly in 5 out of 6 seasons, it doesn't seem unreasonable to conclude that he isn't a great manager

If we just say that it is so driven by timing and circumstances that we can't make judgements, then there is little point of any discussion about football, we might as well judge Shankly's ability as manager as being indistinguishable from Tommy McLean's because they both managed in different circumstances. If that is the approach, then managers might as well be appointed based on a lucky dip.

I'll try asking again, because people seem to find it amazingly hard to answer the simple question in my post. If you were a club chairman, would you appoint a manager with Stendel's CV?

Playing Devil’s Advocate here but you wouldn’t base your decision on CV alone but it would have to be one hell of an interview to get him a decent job now!

Oh dear oh dear. Nice guy, liked him a lot. Thought he got dealt a shit hand here BUT the results speak for themselves. I'm not a huge fan of Boab but he has got the results and in football that's what matters.

Would I take Stendel back? No

30 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

The list is comprised in the same way yours is and is also a chronological summary of Neilson's career, each line representing a season, with a new point taken for a change of employer. It's as superfluous and factually incorrect as your list.

In answer to your question, no I would not employ Stendel now. But that is football management in a nutshell, 10 years ago for example, Owen Coyle would have been a desirable appointment for many clubs, a series of failures since and he's persona non grata.

It's a results based business, at the time we appointed Stendel he was coming off the back of a successful season, playing attractive football and seemed worth taking a gamble on, his subsequent record shows that it was the wrong decision.

Anyway, I'm glad we are where we are now as a club.

I liked him and thought he would be a good appointment for us, but when you've taken 3 consecutive clubs who usually finish at least mid table in their respective leagues to the bottom of the table you really have to question some of his decision making. With us he certainly seemed to have a problem with devising tactics for the players he actually had rather than the players he wished he had. The Barnsley fans liked him at the time but with them having since avoided relegation and made the playoffs last season I imagine they may have revised their opinions somewhat. 

26 minutes ago, Martin_T said:

The list is comprised in the same way yours is and is also a chronological summary of Neilson's career, each line representing a season, with a new point taken for a change of employer. It's as superfluous and factually incorrect as your list.

Sorry, but that is simply not true. In the first point you say Neilson lost in the first round of all the cups. That is factually incorrect. Can you point to something in my list that is factually incorrect? In point two you say that Hibs went on to win the cup. Can you point to something in my list that is as superfluous to Stendel's performance as a manager in my list? Your summary of season 2016-17 at Hearts in point 3 is a single fixture. Can you point to any comparable summary of a season in my list? To suggest the two lists are comparable in how they've been produced is just silly.

Lots of managers will have mixed CVs with good and bad on them. Most are likely to have more clear failures than clear successes. That is the nature of football. But Stendel's is far more bad than good. That really shouldn't be a controversial opinion. Bizarre that it is.

Guys, just stop debating Stendel with Bongo then this thread dies. We all know his views. Nearly all of us disagree with them. Let it rest. 
It’s not Bongo that’s keeping this pointless thread alive it’s the posters who keep responding to him. Stendel was an unfortunate period in our history but it’s gone, it’s in the past, we have moved on and recovered. 

Brown Stuff 74
Just now, soonbe110 said:

Guys, just stop debating Stendel with Bongo then this thread dies. We all know his views. Nearly all of us disagree with them. Let it rest. 
It’s not Bongo that’s keeping this pointless thread alive it’s the posters who keep responding to him. Stendel was an unfortunate period in our history but it’s gone, it’s in the past, we have moved on and recovered. 

We are going nowhere under Neilson.. Stendel was a long term project at least we had some ambition and a proper plan. 

1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

Sorry, but that is simply not true. In the first point you say Neilson lost in the first round of all the cups. That is factually incorrect. Can you point to something in my list that is factually incorrect? In point two you say that Hibs went on to win the cup. Can you point to something in my list that is as superfluous to Stendel's performance as a manager in my list? Your summary of season 2016-17 at Hearts in point 3 is a single fixture. Can you point to any comparable summary of a season in my list? To suggest the two lists are comparable in how they've been produced is just silly.

Lots of managers will have mixed CVs with good and bad on them. Most are likely to have more clear failures than clear successes. That is the nature of football. But Stendel's is far more bad than good. That really shouldn't be a controversial opinion. Bizarre that it is.

Semantics. Early rounds of all the cups would have been more accurate. Anyway enjoy the rest of your day.

4 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

He was a nice guy. 

Everyone wanted him to succeed. 

He never. 

The end 

Im sure he was. Totally different story if the art school just accepts him. Awful how it turned out. 

8 minutes ago, Brown Stuff 74 said:

We are going nowhere under Neilson.. Stendel was a long term project at least we had some ambition and a proper plan. 

Stendel should have been thought of by the club custodians as a long term project but was measured in the here and now.

That was and still is my main criticism of how he was treated at the time 

The reality is that AB nor I suspect others at the club, after Stendel was brought in didn’t like what they saw. They looked at the short term results that were being produced and took fright hence when Robbie became available it was a case of get him in, and get Stendel out - as quickly as possible. 

A lot of other posters on the thread have said it’s best to let it go and they are probably right. It’s one of these ones where we will never quite know how it panned out. I wish we had kept him but we didn’t and he’s gone now and certainly not likely to return 

That said …. 

You say we are going no where under Neilson - well, we are currently 3rd in the league with him, and to be honest last year coming up I was expecting mid table but he has done a lot lot better than what I think a lot of us expected. 

And look at who we have signed - our squad since Is the strongest it has been and certainly since Post Admin, arguably long before that. 

I just don’t see how you can say we are going no where under Him at this particular point in time

I would have got that 100% last year, but saying it at this point in time doesn’t make much sense to be honest.

That view may change in time but right now he isn’t going anywhere so we should get behind him and focus on having a really good season and push for the top places - where we now have the squad to compete 

The biggest positive this season is that we have got a recruitment team in place who are bloody good at their job and will be an asset for us. Something we were crying out for given the sub standard recruitment of the past. These guys look like the real deal. 

We have a manager in place - no more DOF structures but good background support so the manager can manage and the recruitment people can get the best players to the club and players who the club and support deserves. 

It has got much much better (on the football side) since AB has pulled back and handed control to McKinlay. 

TBH I don’t think that we will go back to not holding people accountable for performance. That includes Neilson. It looks like guys like McKinlay and Savage strive for perfection and if that’s been the major breakthrough for us that standards and accountability are now back and in place at the club then that’s the best result any of us could have ever have hoped for, considering where we have been in recent times and even more important than having your own manager or manager of choice appointed at the club 

3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Right man wrong time for Nancy, wrongfully treated there, apart from the results he’s been first class 

Sure I've heard this before somewhere

A_A wehatethehibs
12 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Sure I've heard this before somewhere

In all seriousness, I do feel for him. He took a risk taking the Hearts job and unfortunately between that and now this, it’s stuffed his career, big time. And Hearts were taking a big risk as well on him being the wrong fit. We will never know whether or not he was the right man but know for absolute certain it was the wrong time.

35 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

In all seriousness, I do feel for him. He took a risk taking the Hearts job and unfortunately between that and now this, it’s stuffed his career, big time. And Hearts were taking a big risk as well on him being the wrong fit. We will never know whether or not he was the right man but know for absolute certain it was the wrong time.

We also know for certain that he is gone. Should be no more than a curiosity item for us now. 

1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Right man wrong time for Nancy, wrongfully treated there, apart from the results he’s been first class 

:rofl:

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

:kirklol:

2 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Ffs 🤣🤣

wrong man, wrong job...should never have been anywhere near Hearts...

Not quite sure what kind of Diamond he was supposed to be , but was more cubic zirconia

Bazzas right boot

I liked the guy. 

I liked his philosophy 

He was also a gent in our time of need so I won't slag him. 

Bongo seems to have turned middle of the ground folk against him with his, rabid lunatic defence of him which is also sad. 

Wish the guy the best. 

2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Sure he got his german side promoted. 

I think he took over Hannover 96 in the season they got relegated and was sacked the next season while in Bundesliga 2…iirc. 

3 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Sure he got his german side promoted. 

Na they got relegated after he took them over then was sacked in March of the following season. They did get promoted that season i think. (Hannover 96) Im sure you can expect a detailed analysis of the off field issues that meant the relegation wasn’t his fault and his sacking was due to some mitigating factor that meant he wasnt therefore responsible for the end of his managerial career there.

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

I think he took over Hannover 96 in the season they got relegated and was sacked the next season while in Bundesliga 2…iirc. 

👍🏻 Took over in April 2016 , was sacked in March 2017

Lord Beni of Gorgie
20 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Really i don't know how tbh 🤔

You're basing these stats on him in the past, let's see how those stats do this season and then be the judge 👍

No doubt if he doesn't finish above Aberdeen or Hibs some will say it's fine. 

Finish above those we wont get relegated and will more than likely be in Europe. 

Even for you this isn't tough  😉

Guest ToqueJambo

One thing I'm sure we can all agree on. Let's not rush to appoint a permanent manager mid-season again. Sack the incumbent by all means if he's leading us down the wrong path but let a coach or player-manager take over or bring in a JJ or Robbo as caretaker, and use the time to find the right person and give them a pre-season, their own team, etc to set us up for the new season.

It didn't work when we were flying high in 2nd place and it didn't work when we were near the bottom of the table.

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

One thing I'm sure we can all agree on. Let's not rush to appoint a permanent manager mid-season again. Sack the incumbent by all means if he's leading us down the wrong path but let a coach or player-manager take over or bring in a JJ or Robbo as caretaker, and use the time to find the right person and give them a pre-season, their own team, etc to set us up for the new season.

It didn't work when we were flying high in 2nd place and it didn't work when we were near the bottom of the table.

JJ 👀