Daniel Stendel

Arthur Morgan

1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Not been backed properly after losing 4 of the teams best players, from last season filled with loans from there feeder club. 

If he had been backed like Robbie has and had Savage, I've no doubt he would have us in a even better position. 

When you look at his time with Barnsley, given a settled team he had them playing and winning games. 

well put.  Feel sorry for him, although he should of done better here than he did. Wrong time

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bongo 1874

• sadj

• Alex Kintner

• Bazzas right boot

10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Who had the bigger short-term rebuild job? Stendel with a whole January window to fill a couple of key positions in a squad (with key players returning from injury) that not that long before was good enough to go toe to toe with Celtic in a cup final and top the league for about 12 weeks or something. And all he had to do was make up a few points on teams like Livvi, St Mirren and Ross County. That was literally his only task - we were only 6 pts off 7th with game in hand over the team in 7th. He had several games before the window to assess the team, then a whole window, backed with cash, to improve it. For comparison look how St J improved during the same period, after being bottom when Stendel took over. It is possible to turn things around with mostly the same players.

Or Neilson during a pandemic making transfers very difficult, faced with numerous players leaving and others coming back form injury or still injured, inheriting Levein/Stendel's squad, and not even knowing what league we'd be playing in or if it would start at all while trying to persuade players to join us. Plus looking ahead to a derby semi final with a seriously weakened team compared to Hibs, who would also have more match fitness by the time that game came?

Difference is that one recognised the seriousness of the situation and focused on improving things quickly and one just dallied around and didn't seem to think we needed to win games that urgently.

Give it a rest with your constant Neilson love in. Stendel didn’t work out   but was hung out to dry compared to the backing Neilson has had since he came back. 

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Neilson during a pandemic  bringing in Halliday, Gordon, GMS, Ginnelly aye he had it tough 🙄

Stendel never had a few positions to fill 😂 how many players has Robbie and Savage brought in since he's came back?

That would be the same Livi that beat us 5-0 under Levein, St Mirren who Levein didn't beat it was Austin who set us up to be more attacking. 

And Ross County who Levein couldn't beat either, but stendel was supposed to beat these teams with Leveins squad that Couldn't beat them? 

Tell me how that works? 

Yes Neilson brought in better players than Stendel. Not sure how that strengthens your point. Especially when you mention Gordon who Stendel said we didn't need.

Our attack against Livvi (shocker as that was) consisted of Steven McLean. All we had on the bench to replace him with was Wighton. Stendel had Washington, Uche, Boyce, McLean, Wighton and Naismith. Same against many other teams.

Talking of Levein, I appreciate I might be in a gang of 1 here, but he would have kept us up. He knew what the long-term injured players coming back could and couldn't do. We'd have finished as high as 9th maybe and he'd have headed off at the end of the season. With the players Stendel got back from injury (the ones Levein had playing well when fit a year before) and signings like Boyce (a player he liked) he'd have finally wised up to the danger we were in around Jan/Feb at the latest and would have gone back to basics to win points no matter how we did it. He at least would not have messed around with weird 5 man attacks late in games and high presses against the teams around us.

Bazzas right boot

Again an another game they controlled the possession, lacking upfront, he will do well if he keeps them up. 

He does have difficulty keeping teams up tho. 

He's playing a young team that's filled with loans, they shouldn't of lost tonight.  You're spot on 👍

As I said previous they have had the team ripped up and replaced with loan signings from affiliated clubs, or young players that are prospects, they play again on Friday if he doesn't win that i can see him getting sacked 👍

Not been backed properly after losing 4 of the teams best players, from last season filled with loans from there feeder club. 

If he had been backed like Robbie has and had Savage, I've no doubt he would have us in a even better position. 

When you look at his time with Barnsley, given a settled team he had them playing and winning games. 

He was backed at us and 2 of his signings were absolutely mince. 

Stendel imo could well, but you've got to stop defending him like he's one of your bairns. 

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Give it a rest with your constant Neilson love in. Stendel didn’t work out   but was hung out to dry compared to the backing Neilson has had since he came back. 

I do indeed love managers who have us never out the top 1-3 positions over multiple seasons. They're awesome! Ones who make a bad team even worse - nah, not so keen.

Edited by ToqueJambo

4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sorry toque I'm getting confused here are you seriously saying that, what stendel was left with by Levein, was good enough, bit confused about that? And if that is what you are saying how could Levein not get them winning games, Levein at the end had a horrible home record at Hearts. 

That Hearts team was no worse on paper than the Hibs team Jack Ross inherited around the same time. Both underperforming and looming near the bottom. Ross’s Hibs finished 6th. Stendel’s Hearts 12th. 

11 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yes Neilson brought in better players than Stendel. Not sure how that strengthens your point. Especially when you mention Gordon who Stendel said we didn't need.

Our attack against Livvi (shocker as that was) consisted of Steven McLean. All we had on the bench to replace him with was Wighton. Stendel had Washington, Uche, Boyce, McLean, Wighton and Naismith. Same against many other teams.

Talking of Levein, I appreciate I might be in a gang of 1 here, but he would have kept us up. He knew what the long-term injured players coming back could and couldn't do. We'd have finished as high as 9th maybe and he'd have headed off at the end of the season. With the players Stendel got back from injury (the ones Levein had playing well when fit a year before) and signings like Boyce (a player he liked) he'd have finally wised up to the danger we were in around Jan/Feb at the latest and would have gone back to basics to win points no matter how we did it. He at least would not have messed around with weird 5 man attacks late in games and high presses against the teams around us.

May I point out stendel didn't have Washington, or Naismith when he came in👍

Or Souttar or Haring. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

8 minutes ago, DS98 said:

That Hearts team was no worse on paper than the Hibs team Jack Ross inherited around the same time. Both underperforming and looming near the bottom. Ross’s Hibs finished 6th. Stendel’s Hearts 12th. 

Over a full season mate that we will never know, but Jack was backed, stendel was forced to get players out before bringing players in. 

Not any of his fault the players currently at the club at the time, were gash. 

Over a full season stendels Barnsley finished above Jack Ross’s sunderland who had the biggest budget in the league, and got grigg for £5mil. 

So we will call it 1-1 if you want to count a season we got demoted. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Talking of Levein, I appreciate I might be in a gang of 1 here, but he would have kept us up.

He won 4 games in 30 ffs! 

Revisionism at its finest. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I agree. 

Tbh, I would have kept us up. 

All he had to do was play the defence 10ft further back and play a different keeper. 

He had the better injured players coming back and we we're pish. 

His January signings were a bit pish as well, very little effect. 

To take Hearts from 10th iirc to 4 points adrift at the bottom is just shite. 

Could he have done well longer term- maybe. 

Should we care - no. 

Guest ToqueJambo
22 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sorry toque I'm getting confused here are you seriously saying that, what stendel was left with by Levein, was good enough, bit confused about that? And if that is what you are saying how could Levein not get them winning games, Levein at the end had a horrible home record at Hearts. 

May i also ask where are you getting this he was backed with cash? 

Last time I will point this out, but during Stendels press conference with Ann in attendance, Ann was asked about signings by the press, she came out with an i quote=/ we will be operating on a 1 in 1 out basis, levein had done the cash mate. 

Neilson also had to shift players didn't he - about 20 or so I think it was in the end. Stendel signed what 4 players was it? That's more than enough in January. Did you expect an entire new team? He also got several players back from injury - essentially new players. But he used them all wrong, apart from maybe Washington who started off where he had left off under Levein.

Look how we improved immediately Souttar came back under Robbie, but not when he came back under Stendel. Neilson knew how to use him to benefit the whole team and that he was key to getting more out of Halkett. We conceded 14 goals in 7 games after Souttar returned under Stendel. Under Robbie, since Souttar's returned we've conceded 8 in 16 games. 

You have to wonder if Stendel even knew he had such a good player on his hands or had done any research at all into his own players. Didn't look like it.

Edited by ToqueJambo

15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

I do indeed love managers who have us never out the top 1-3 positions over multiple seasons. They're awesome! Ones who make a bad team even worse - nah, not so keen.

It's really easy to sit there and say that though, it's almost like you blame stendel, when the blame should be directed towards Levein and Ann, should stendel of won more games absolutely, but this was a team that couldn't buy a win under Levein, a guy who is a better manager than Bob. 

Robbie has had the benefit of being backed by Ann and getting Savage. 

It was just last season loads of people, were complaining about Bob and how he had us playing. 

Is it better now yes, but could that be down to recruitment, it's almost like you think stendel, signed all of those players Levein did. 

When Robbie came in he was left with 1 player, r during Stendels time That he signed Boyce? 

Guest ToqueJambo
17 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

He won 4 games in 30 ffs! 

Revisionism at its finest. 

I just think he would knuckled down, used the players we got back from injury better than Stendel did, and kept us up. We were still only a couple of points off 7th or 8th or something when he was finally binned. St J were doing even worse than us in Levein's final season and they turned it around dramatically under the same manager and mostly the same players so it's possible. They were actually bottom of the league longer than we were that season.

I don't think Levein would have had us rocketing up the league but he'd have fashioned a better team than Stendel with Souttar, Halkett, Washington, Naismith, Walker and others back form injury plus a couple of signings in January.

For the record I also thought at the time Stendel would have kept us up if given the final 8 games. Bad as we were the teams around us were unlikely to keep churning out the surprise results they were getting. Although seeing Stendel at Nancy I'm not so sure now.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

It's really easy to sit there and say that though, it's almost like you blame stendel, when the blame should be directed towards Levein and Ann, should stendel of won more games absolutely, but this was a team that couldn't buy a win under Levein, a guy who is a better manager than Bob. 

Robbie has had the benefit of being backed by Ann and getting Savage. 

It was just last season loads of people, were complaining about Bob and how he had us playing. 

Is it better now yes, but could that be down to recruitment, it's almost like you think stendel, signed all of those players Levein did. 

When Robbie came in he was left with 1 player, r during Stendels time That he signed Boyce? 

I don't care! One manger got us relegated. One got us promoted and to the top of the league. Why are we even having this argument?

12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Neilson also had to shift players didn't he - about 20 or so I think it was in the end. Stendel signed what 4 players was it? That's more than enough in January. Did you expect an entire new team? He also got several players back from injury - essentially new players. But he used them all wrong, apart from maybe Washington who started off where he had left off under Levein.

Look how we improved immediately Souttar came back under Robbie, but not when he came back under Stendel. Neilson knew how to use him to benefit the whole team and that he was key to getting more out of Halkett. We conceded 14 goals in 7 games after Souttar returned under Stendel. Under Robbie, since Souttar's returned we've conceded 8 in 16 games. 

You have to wonder if Stendel even knew he had such a good player on his hands or had done any research at all into his own players. Didn't look like it.

A lot of the players were out of contract when Neilson came in, he did get rid of some. 

If I remember correctly Souttar came back last season, but we always knew Souttar had ability so again was it really an improvement from Robbie, what you could say a player that was lambasted most weeks, many said he was shite under Levein, but under stendel we got a performance out of him and a fee Sean Clare, 

I remember people used to boo Sean when he had the ball. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

49 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

If that's you're opinion then fair enough no problem. 

Certainly done well at Barnsley, and had them playing good football. 

It's not an opinion, it's a fact - Stendel has won **** all.

If you were actually being unbiased and balanced you'd mention it as often as you do with levein.

Just now, Smithee said:

It's not an opinion, it's a fact - Stendel has won **** all.

If you were actually being unbiased and balanced you'd mention it as often as you do with levein.

Who said stendel had won something? he won promotion to the championship with Barnsley playing good football and having the best defense in the league 👍

10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You two are funny.

Like, really funny.

Like, internet message board funny.

Spot on Jonesy 👍but people don't really know what the situation is at Nancy, they don't know these things I've pointed out, they shouldn't be last that i agree on, but i seriously don't think he's a bad manager, the players all spoke highly of him, and what people forget he had us in a semi final of the Scottish Cup. 

Now would we have won it with him in charge, we will never know. 

Guest ToqueJambo
23 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

May I point out stendel didn't have Washington, or Naismith when he came in👍

Or Souttar or Haring. 

Indeed, injuries killed us in 18/19 and 19/20. However Walker, Souttar, Naismith, Washington were all back in January. Add in Boyce and we had players a new manager should have been able to work with better than Stendel did.

I don't care! One manger got us relegated. One got us promoted and to the top of the league. Why are we even having this argument?

Me or you could of won the championship, as manager of Hearts last season. 

And Robbie doesn't have us top? 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Indeed, injuries killed us in 18/19 and 19/20. However Walker, Souttar, Naismith, Washington were all back in January. Add in Boyce and we had players a new manager should have been able to work with better than Stendel did.

During January do we have a winter break? 

And they can be back all they want, but it's game time they needed if you have played the game at any level, you will realise that, how many games had they played in when we started back up. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Me or you could of won the championship, as manager of Hearts last season. 

And Robbie doesn't have us top? 

Daniel couldn't have, he's shite

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Spot on Jonesy 👍but people don't really know what the situation is at Nancy, they don't know these things I've pointed out, they shouldn't be last that i agree on, but i seriously don't think he's a bad manager, the players all spoke highly of him, and what people forget he had us in a semi final of the Scottish Cup. 

Now would we have won it with him in charge, we will never know. 

Yes, we would have pressed the **** out of that cup! 

Mind you Levein got us to three semi finals and one final in one and a half seasons. Doesn't count for much.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Daniel couldn't have, he's shite

Is this what you are resorting too 😂wow, league 1 getting promoted with Barnsley, or getting Hearts promoted from the Scottish championship, which one is a better achievement and more difficult to do 🤔all while having the best defense in the whole of England, and having the youngest team in the English football league. 

2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Yes, we would have pressed the **** out of that cup! 

Mind you Levein got us to three semi finals and one final in one and a half seasons. Doesn't count for much.

Levein is a better manager than Bob, you won't hear me saying any different 👍

Guest ToqueJambo

During January do we have a winter break? 

And they can be back all they want, but it's game time they needed if you have played the game at any level, you will realise that, how many games had they played in when we started back up. 

Even better. Stendel had a winter break to work on things. Don't need Craig Gordon though oh know. This Pererra is really very good. Sweeper keeper you know, all the rage.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Even better. Stendel had a winter break to work on things. Don't need Craig Gordon though oh know. This Pererra is really very good. Sweeper keeper you know, all the rage.

That the same keeper lennon refused to let go? The one we couldn't afford because the budget was blown!! 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Is this what you are resorting too 😂wow, league 1 getting promoted with Barnsley, or getting Hearts promoted from the Scottish championship, which one is a better achievement and more difficult to do 🤔all while having the best defense in the whole of England, and having the youngest team in the English football league. 

Comfortably strolling a league with Hibs and Rangers in it, starting the season with Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs in the first 6 games and still being unbeaten, and taking Celtic to the wire in a. cup final is better than both of those things. If you'd played the game as long as I have you'd know that.

22 minutes ago, jonesy said:

You two are funny.

Like, really funny.

Like, internet message board funny.

Its mental , clicked on this thread expecting to see hed been sacked. Instead its Bongo going off on one about his lovechild and tOque being Toque 🤣

How the **** anyone can defend Stendel for where he took us 😑 I liked him as a person but aside from the derby and the Rangers games we were awful under him imo. 

Guest ToqueJambo

That the same keeper lennon refused to let go? The one we couldn't afford because the budget was blown!! 

Maybe aye maybe naw. Daniel Stendel literally said he didn't think we needed a new goalie. Nevermind CG, he thought we were fine in that department, so you have to wonder how hard he pushed to sign him. Never even signed him on a pre-contract which he could have.

He also said this - "My feeling is we don't need a goalkeeper at the moment" That's not even the scariest thing. He said he didn't know much about Gordon, one of the best goalies in the UK in the last decade or so.

Edited by ToqueJambo

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Comfortably strolling a league with Hibs and Rangers in it, starting the season with Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs in the first 6 games and still being unbeaten, and taking Celtic to the wire in a. cup final is better than both of those things. If you'd played the game as long as I have you'd know that.

Is it i suppose we will win a league title for being unbeaten so far, even though rangers are top 🙄

As far as the championship season Robbie did win, with Rangers and Hibs in it he gets full credit. 

Mk dons you be the judge Robbie signed both Sow and Muirhead, and was backed at Mk dons. 

But i forgot he's allowed a bad season or two my bad 🤔🙄

Edited by Bongo 1874

8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He's shite

Maybe aye maybe naw. Daniel Stendel literally said he didn't think we needed a new goalie. Nevermind CG, he thought we were fine in that department. Never even signed him on a pre-contract which he could have.

He also said this - "My feeling is we don't need a goalkeeper at the moment" That's not even the scariest thing. He said he didn't know much about Gordon, one of the best goalies in the UK in the last decade or so.

He was playing down the situation because, we were having to beg of Celtic to get Gordon, because we couldn't afford to pay a fee for him. 

Lennon said he was going nowhere and was only willing to let him leave if a fee was received to replace him, similar too how we are with Souttar just now 😉

Maybe aye maybe naw. Daniel Stendel literally said he didn't think we needed a new goalie. Nevermind CG, he thought we were fine in that department, so you have to wonder how hard he pushed to sign him. Never even signed him on a pre-contract which he could have.

He never signed him on a pre contract because we were in a global pandemic. 

Everyone was having to take pay cuts, he gave up his full wage,  😂😂😂 while Austin and Levein still took a wage out the club. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Is it i suppose we will win a league title for been unbeaten so far, even though rangers are top 🙄

As far as the championship season Robbie did win, with Rangers and Hibs in it he gets full credit. 

Mk dons you be the judge Robbie signed both Sow and Muirhead, and was backed at Mk dons. 

But i forgot he's allowed a bad season or two my bad 🤔🙄

Stendel's times with us and at Nancy seem more than "bad" to me. I liked the guy but he was possibly our worst permanent manager in history results wise. Worse than Cathro wasn't he?

Edited by ToqueJambo

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He never signed him on a pre contract because we were in a global pandemic yah raj, everyone was having to take pay cuts, he gave up his full wage, oh my days 😂😂😂 while Austin and Levein still took a wage out the club. 

So? He's still shite.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He never signed him on a pre contract because we were in a global pandemic yah raj, everyone was having to take pay cuts, he gave up his full wage, oh my days 😂😂😂 while Austin and Levein still took a wage out the club. 

Not sure anyone had heard of the pandemic in January when pre-contracts tend to be signed. Probably because there wasn't a pandemic, just an outbreak of some virus thingy in China maybe.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Levein signed Pereira.

Levein played Pereira more than Stendel.

Yet you're convinced Levein would have avoided relegation. 🤔

Not sure anyone had heard of the pandemic in January when pre-contracts tend to be signed.

What when Gordon was waiting to see what sort of offers he would get yeah, I'm sure signing for us was his top priority at the time 🙄🤔

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He was playing down the situation because, we were having to beg of Celtic to get Gordon, because we couldn't afford to pay a fee for him. 

Lennon said he was going nowhere and was only willing to let him leave if a fee was received to replace him, similar too how we are with Souttar just now 😉

There's playing down a situation and admitting you don't know about a top class goalkeeper. He didn't even have to sign anyone to adequately replace Perrera.

3 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Not sure anyone had heard of the pandemic in January when pre-contracts tend to be signed.

There is evidence the virus was with us before January, November 2019 to be exact 👍but that takes it off topic. 

Any player of Gordon's calibre will wait to see what offers he has before signing any pre contract 👍

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Beni said:

Levein signed Pereira.

Levein played Pereira more than Stendel.

Yet you're convinced Levein would have avoided relegation. 🤔

I'm convinced Levein or Stendel would have avoided relegation. I still don't think we would have gone down with 8 games left and 4 pts to make up. 

That was a shite signing Levein made but he probably thought he was on safe ground with a Man Utd reserve. But he would have dropped him eventually. In fact I think he did. McPhee certainly did. And Levein rotated through all 3 goalies at times, trying to find one good one and failing. Like Stendel Levein eventually would have settle don Zlamal as the least bad option, which everyone on here would agree with.

But what has that got to do with Stendel? The job of a new manager is to correct the mistakes of the sacked one. 

Guest ToqueJambo
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

There is evidence the virus was with us before January, November 2019 to be exact 👍but that takes it off topic. 

Any player of Gordon's calibre will wait to see what offers he has before signing any pre contract 👍

There was only ever going to be one final move for Craigie - we all know that.

4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

There's playing down a situation and admitting you don't know about a top class goalkeeper. He didn't even have to sign anyone to adequately replace Perrera.

So at the time you would of replaced him with Doyle, who got relegated with Kilmarnock or Bobby dazzler who wasn't even second choice under Bob 😂😂😂😂 do continue to make a James hunt of yourself I'm enjoying this. 

Stendel's times with us and at Nancy seem more than "bad" to me. I liked the guy but he was possibly our worst permanent manager in history results wise. Worse than Cathro wasn't he?

Quite possible, looking back I can’t really remember fans having a go at him like the abuse Levein took towards the end of his tenure or dare I say a plane flying over Tynecastle having a go at a previous manager. Strange. 

20 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

That was a shite signing Levein made but he probably thought he was on safe ground with a Man Utd reserve. But he would have dropped him eventually. In fact I think he did. McPhee certainly did. And Levein rotated through all 3 goalies at times, trying to find one good one and failing. Like Stendel Levein eventually would have settle don Zlamal as the least bad option, which everyone on here would agree with.

Levein played Pereira in every game after he signed him, except for one when he was injured. The rotating you mention didn't happen. 

22 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

But what has that got to do with Stendel? The job of a new manager is to correct the mistakes of the sacked one.

It was you who brought Levein into the discussion, and you're using Pereira as a stick to beat Stendel with, when he didn't sign him or play him as often as Levein.

4 hours ago, Beni said:

Levein played Pereira in every game after he signed him, except for one when he was injured. The rotating you mention didn't happen. 

It was you who brought Levein into the discussion, and you're using Pereira as a stick to beat Stendel with, when he didn't sign him or play him as often as Levein.

We are in a good place right now, and seem to have got our mojo back -and not before time.
Decisions in recent times and throughout the club are a vast improvement on what happened before and long may it continue 

That said, we were abject at worst to mediocre at best in terms of on the park performance over the whole period and between 2016 and 2021. 

In percentage terms Stendel was with us all of 5% of that time and throughout that particular period. 

The real damage was done in the other 95% of time that he wasn’t actually here. Bottom line. 

been here before

See if it wasnt for the players, the owner, the injuries, Covid, not having Savage, and not being Levein or Neilson?

See if it wasnt for blindly standing by the worst keeper the club has ever had, playing a style of football wholly unsuited to what was at his disposal and see if it wasnt for the press?

See if it wasnt for only winning 5 out of 17 games, having no plan B and playing in a way your opponents knew weeks in advance, see if it wasnt for taking the club to an even worse league position than you started and for every other team ending up being better than you?

See if none of this was Daniels fault.

Then Stendel would have won us the league.

FACT.

Am I doing this right?

Edited by been here before