Why do we sit back

NB GIN

Great result today but I do not get this sitting back when we are in the ascendancy it was the same with Levein

Best form of defence is attack.

Why do they do this I don’t get it 

Tired today I think. And it's very rare to dominate the whole game, especially away. But I did shite it for about 5 minutes.

I don't think we did tbh, certainly not at all in the first half, where we were very dominant, there was about a 15/20 minute spell towards the end of second half where united came back into it but I think it was just them pressing further up the park to make it look like that.

I thought we tried to press for the majority of the game today imo

Geoff Kilpatrick

We were forced back by their only spell of attacking. We weathered it and then scored the winner. Not worried in the slightest.

I think we we’re tired. We need to make more of the times we are on top and when we are forced back it won’t seem so scary. 

We can definitely be questioned for the Celtic and Aberdeen games for doing that but I was actually fairly happy that we came out the second half and continued to dominate.

As others have mentioned we started to tire. Beni and Boyce looked knackered at the end.

Good result and apart from a 10-15 minute spell it was a good performance. Should have been a lot more comfortable if haring remembered how to head a ball.

6 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Think we went to back 4 and it almost killed us. 

Stop tinkering. 

I agree. I really don’t like changing because a team we are completely dominant against change formation. 

We were far better defensively with 3 at the back than when we went to a 4. 

It worked today but Robbie’s tinkering is enfuriating. 

Believe the tinkering was in response to United's shape change, where they ended up having two chances with a two players overloading the left side. Didn't quite work as planned and after weathering it a bit, Moore got brought in and we seemed solid again.

Solid defense will come with how Gordon is playing. The goalkeeper defense relationship is crucial, with an excellent one of the couple giving an average partner confidence. Last time I remember being confident in the solidity of the Hearts defense was at the start of Levein's season where we topped the table for a bit. Berra and Souttar played well and gave confidence to Zlamal. After their injuries and Dunne's we were less solid and Zlamal slowly turned into a bombscare. Gordon will be giving the confidence to the defense by his play, and with the new lads looking good, should get better at adapting to opponent's tactical changes.

JamboBornNBred
13 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

We were forced back by their only spell of attacking. We weathered it and then scored the winner. Not worried in the slightest.

Definitely this. They were always going to have a spell of pressure and we soaked it up then killed the game off. Such a difference from what we have been served up over the past few years. Today that team had fight but more importantly they had belief. Such a breath of fresh air.

A_A wehatethehibs

Folk find it tough to understand, we are still adjusting to this level. Teams in this division have another gear fitness wise, for our players it is a step up in intensive and it takes time to get there. That’s why we need these reinforcements coming in. Squad so important 

Watt-Zeefuik
2 minutes ago, JamboZeus said:

Believe the tinkering was in response to United's shape change, where they ended up having two chances with a two players overloading the left side. Didn't quite work as planned and after weathering it a bit, Moore got brought in and we seemed solid again.

Solid defense will come with how Gordon is playing. The goalkeeper defense relationship is crucial, with an excellent one of the couple giving an average partner confidence. Last time I remember being confident in the solidity of the Hearts defense was at the start of Levein's season where we topped the table for a bit. Berra and Souttar played well and gave confidence to Zlamal. After their injuries and Dunne's we were less solid and Zlamal slowly turned into a bombscare. Gordon will be giving the confidence to the defense by his play, and with the new lads looking good, should get better at adapting to opponent's tactical changes.

The importance of the partnership between Souttar and Gordon cannot be overstated. They clearly trust each other, listen to each other, and enjoy playing together. It's absolutely beautiful to watch.

Guest ToqueJambo
26 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Great result today but I do not get this sitting back when we are in the ascendancy it was the same with Levein

We didn't. D Utd just came out more positively in the 2nd but we ended the game very much on the front foot and made positive subs.

We did seem to tire, like last week. Hope it's not a trend. Also not taking Halliday off sooner when he was clearly fecked didn't help.

It’s the Hearts way. Until we get the next Burley or Stendel this is what we’ll do.

Absolutely not having a go in any way, shape or form. Just answering a question 👍🏻

Brick Tamland
4 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

We didn't. D Utd just came out more positively in the 2nd but we ended the game very much on the front foot and made positive subs.

This

Ex member of the SaS

They went three up, so we went to a back four, however with three up they were exposed at the back and we did not take an advantage from this. We shouldn't always play out from the back and route one can be very effective in games like this as evidenced by the long throw from Craig to Mackey Stevens, how the guy only got a yellow for what was a blatant attack is strange.

Guest ToqueJambo
3 minutes ago, ShedBoy said:

It’s the Hearts way. Until we get the next Burley or Stendel this is what we’ll do.

Absolutely not having a go in any way, shape or form. Just answering a question 👍🏻

But we didn't sit back 😅

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

No no no we can’t have the truth here, this thread is for spouting pish 

Ex member of the SaS
5 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

We did seem to tire, like last week. Hope it's not a trend. Also not taking Halliday off sooner when he was clearly fecked didn't help.

I don't get this tiring thing, they are professional sportsmen and should be able to run around for longer than 90 minutes. Take tennis as an example, they play for three hours or more at a time, so how can't football players who get a break and a rest when the ball is in the other half?

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

But we didn't sit back 😅

Not today agreed but last week at home to Aberdeen we absolutely did. So I get where the OP is coming from. We should be ragdolling teams like Aberdeen at home. Just like we smashed Dundee Hibernian away today 👍🏻 On to the next one 

Bazzas right boot
43 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Because other teams don't bend over, they also attack and have dominant spells so when that happens we defend. 

John Findlay
45 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

We didn't sit back. Dundee United pushed us back, credit to them, we attacked in the 2nd half when the opportunity presented itself, that's why we scored a 2nd goal. We did not deliberately sit back.

Savage Vince
15 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

They went three up, so we went to a back four, however with three up they were exposed at the back and we did not take an advantage from this. 

We cut through them 3 times in 10 minutes however Gino was very wasteful. 

Made up for it with his assist however. 

A_A wehatethehibs
11 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Because other teams don't bend over, they also attack and have dominant spells so when that happens we defend. 

At times it’s like these fans think the whole game should just be wave after wave of hearts attacks, as though we are playing against a team of traffic cones or a game of fifa on easy settings. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

At times it’s like these fans think the whole game should just be wave after wave of hearts attacks, as though we are playing against a team of traffic cones or a game of fifa on easy settings. 

Really does read like that. 

No regard for the other team at all-lots do it. 

It's alarming in so many ways and difficult to engage in a conversation with someone who thinks like that. 

12 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

We didn't. We were pushed back by a team desperate to score.

Forget this deliberately being negative pish. 

There are two teams out there.

Ask yourself this. Why did Dundee United sit back. They didn't. We forced them back.

It's not rocket science.

Indeed. 

53 minutes ago, Tambo_The_Jambo said:

We have Craig Gordon, we can afford to play on the back foot

The guy is winning us games.

Its that simple

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Because the manager thinks that he has to change things every 15 minutes or so, no matter how we're playing.

Pity he can't change your jkb password.

32 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

We didn't. We were pushed back by a team desperate to score.

Forget this deliberately being negative pish. 

There are two teams out there.

Ask yourself this. Why did Dundee United sit back. They didn't. We forced them back.

It's not rocket science.

:spoton:

1 hour ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

Think we went to back 4 and it almost killed us. 

Stop tinkering. 

If you are playing against one forward, then the opposition puts 3 up front it is sensible to change your system. 

Gordon Ramsay
15 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

If you are playing against one forward, then the opposition puts 3 up front it is sensible to change your system. 

So sensible that we had to change it back because we were getting pummeled. 

41 minutes ago, Gordon Ramsay said:

So sensible that we had to change it back because we were getting pummeled. 

Hearts overall dominated the game. 

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Yeah, Christ, you'd think people had never watched a game of football before.

I'm excited by how things are shaping up. We've all complained about how pedestrian we looked last season, even when winning.

We're improving in the right areas.

14 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

We did change he went to a back 4 it completely changed us he then realised and changed back to a 3. 
Robbie overthinks he needs to leave the system 

This was a united team who had beaten rangers and St Johnstone back to back without conceding a goal so to think they wouldn't at some time come into the game is a we bit naive. 

In fairness to Neilson even during commentary they noted that Hearts were sitting deep almost automatically at 1 nil in second half. They  he was waving us back up the park, I dont know why we do  that as we controlled the game when on the offensive but let them back in by sitting back, think he needs a talk with them to eradicate 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
16 hours ago, NB GIN said:

You’ve got to ask the question - why did United sit back for all of the first half as the home team?

The Real Maroonblood
16 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

I think we we’re tired. We need to make more of the times we are on top and when we are forced back it won’t seem so scary. 

Tired.

Imagine if they had a real job.

Dagger Is Back
16 hours ago, hearts00 said:

I agree. I really don’t like changing because a team we are completely dominant against change formation. 

We were far better defensively with 3 at the back than when we went to a 4. 

It worked today but Robbie’s tinkering is enfuriating. 

I’m no RN fan but did we not go to 4 at the back because they made subs and changed to 3 up top?

Oops - read whole post before jumping in

Edited by Dagger Is Back