Match ratings vs "The walkers from Tynecastle"

Geoff Kilpatrick

Geoff Kilpatrick

Gordon - 8 - Their spell was limited but they forced Scotland's No1 to make the saves during it. Which he did

Smith - 7 - Might not be a wing-back but, aside from his crossing, his passing and distribution was very good

Cochrane - 7 - Probably his best game in maroon so far. Good on the ball and solid defensively

Souttar - 9 - MoM. Let's all laugh that Steve Clarke thinks there are better defenders for Scotland. Just superb.

Haring - 6 - Marked down for missing two sitters. Good otherwise

Baningime - 6 - Dropped out of the game in the latter stages. Otherwise, he did the dirty work

Halkett - 7 - Another decent performance but really doesn't suit a back four

Halliday - 6 - Again, crossing was a weakness. Solid otherwise

Woodburn - 6 - Some nice touches and plays with his head up. When he settles in he will be some player

Boyce - 7 - Scores again, works his arse off again and only blots his copybook by not taking the simple option at the right time

Mackay-Steven - 6 - Won the penalty scrapping for the ball. Final ball still needs work

Subs:

Ginnelly - 5 - Dangerous but his final ball, other than the second, could have been better

Gnanduillet - 5 - Works hard and scores. What you want from a sub

Moore - 3 - Solidified things when we went back to a back three

upgotheheads
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Gordon - 8 - Their spell was limited but they forced Scotland's No1 to make the saves during it. Which he did

Smith - 7 - Might not be a wing-back but, aside from his crossing, his passing and distribution was very good

Cochrane - 7 - Probably his best game in maroon so far. Good on the ball and solid defensively

Souttar - 9 - MoM. Let's all laugh that Steve Clarke thinks there are better defenders for Scotland. Just superb.

Baningime - 6 - Dropped out of the game in the latter stages. Otherwise, he did the dirty work

Woodburn - 6 - Some nice touches and plays with his head up. When he settles in he will be some player

Boyce - 7 - Scores again, works his arse off again and only blots his copybook by not taking the simple option at the right time

Mackay-Steven - 6 - Won the penalty scrapping for the ball. Final ball still needs work

Subs:

Ginnelly - 5 - Dangerous but his final ball, other than the second, could have been better

Gordon - 9 - with another Goalie we might well have lost the game. If The Hologram had been in goal we definitely would have. 

Ginnely -7-  took the pressure right off when he came on

Gnanduillet - 7 - as above.

Haring - 6 - Marked down for missing two sitters. Good otherwise.

Baningime - 6 - Dropped out of the game in the latter stages. Otherwise, he did the dirty work. 

Both seemed off the pace as the second half progressed and Dutd started get more of the ball. Beni looked better when he was further forward in the first half.

jambos are go!

Haring might have missed a couple  of chances but as the midfield spoiler he was immense.

Edited by jambos are go!

PhoenixHearts
2 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Haring might have missed a couple  of chances but as the midfield spoiler he was immense.

Yep. Close enough to a vintage Peter Haring performance today. Thought he held up his share of defensive duties very well and whipped some decent balls forward and switched the play quite well. 

Shame about his two missed opportunities as that is what most people will focus on and remember, but like I said in the match thread overall it's a positive that he's started getting into those positions and I can't dock him too many points for not having that poachers instinct... He's a converted CB playing DM.

Gordon Ramsay

Pete was very good today. As was back 3 and keeper. Probably Beni worst display so far but still wouldn't say he played badly. 

Gino looked very lively when he came on too. 

16 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Agree thought he was back to his best. Energy levels were tremendous and he looked like the old Peter Haring.

scott herbertson

I thought Smith played well - loads of energy and brought the ball forward when he good. Haring was immense - nearly as good as pre-injury. His passing was largely excellent and he kept them on the back foot until he tired and they went for broke to get a goal back.

I'd give them both 8 but apart from that agree with Geoff's ratings

TyphoonJambo

Harring pressing forward was immense. Couldnae score in a barrel of the proverbial though.

best in the land

Gordon     9 mom would have lost if not for him in 2nd half

Smith        6 better but not great at rwb needs competition 

Cochrane  7 solid

Souttar      9 best defender by far, superb

Haring       6 not bad would've been 7 but should have scored. 

Beningime 7 best midfielder but struggled in 2nd half

Halkett      6 ok but poor in back 4 as we know. 

Halliday     6 better than last week but would bench

Woodburn 6 still to settle but ok hopefully not injured and see more of him against hibs

Boyce        6 frustrating but scored. Just

Gms          6 need to see more from him but won penalty again. 

Subs. 

Ginnelly    5  quick but wastes great positions too often. 

Gnando.   5 good finish but poor other than that. 

Moore     3 ok for short time need to see more of him to judge. 

ShortmanRossco

Halliday anything less than 7 today is poor. Crossing wasn't up to much granted but he wanted to be a Hearts player today and put in a shift. 

I also thought Halliday did well today. Work very hard and in the second half used his experience to break up their momentum.  You need a player like him in your squad.

1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Subs:

Boyce had a poor game today. Some real brain farts in good positions and a very poor pen. 

Still a top player for us though. 

Probably Beningime’s worst game. Just couldn’t quite get the ball under control today. 

Agree re Smith and Haring. Thought Smith tucking into the middle into dangerous positions towards the end of the first half really changed the game. 

Gordon - 8 Great saves second half to keep a clean sheet.

Souttar - 8 Reminds me of Webster. His reading of the game is outstanding. Motm.

Halkett - 7 A solid performance again, getting the better of McNulty. Looked a bit exposed in a back four.

Cochrane - 7 Really neat and tidy. Didn’t put a foot wrong.

Smith - 7 Better from him today. Will always defend but really made an effort to get forward today.

Haring - 7 Should have scored but looked back to his best.

Beningime - 7 Sure he’ll have a few bruises tonight. Did the dirty side well.

Halliday - 6 Went down a few times and looked like he was struggling. Covers every blade of grass though.

Woodburn - 6 A decent enough debut but lacking match sharpness. Full of energy and gets stuck in.

GMS - 6 Has moments but a typical, inconsistent wide player.

Boyce - 7 Works hard. Poor penalty but cool rebound. Sometimes takes too long to make his mind up.

Ginnelly - 6 Very quick and direct.

Gnando - 6 Nice finish.

Moore - 5 Looked composed.

Really don’t understand people saying we would have lost if it wasn’t for Gordon 😂

We were well on top and Gordon made saves which are everyday for him.

We merited that win and apart from a 10 minute spell were well in front.

Savage Vince

Gordon - 9. Excellent. 

Souttar- 8. Solid with a few brilliant passes. 

Halkett - 7. Made a mistake in the 2nd half which could have been costly. 

Cochrane 6- Decent again. 

Smith 6- OK, not as wasteful as last week. 

Beni 6- a couple of errors and tired a bit. 

Haring 6- missed a sitter but played OK. 

Halliday 6- deserves his starting place. Works hard and fights for the cause. 

Woodburn 6- solid debut. 

GMS 6- did well to win the penalty and played his part. 

Boyce 6- good reaction to slot the rebound home. 

Gino 5- good assist and caused them problems. Decent effort which resulted in a good safe. 

Gnando 5- delighted for him getting his first goal in the league. 

Moore 4- looked OK. 

Gordon 9 - at least 3 brilliant saves which won us the points today.

Souttar 9 - just a rolls royce of a defender, his crossing/passing is brilliant as well btw.

Halkett 8 - very good performance starting to win me over, won everything in the air.

Cochrane 8 - he is becoming another Mr. Reliable, he just rarely puts a foot wrong, great again today.

Smith 7 - put a really good shift in, was back to being Mr reliable again, his runs in the dying minutes driving us up the park were brilliant.

Haring 7 - thought he looked miles better today, should have scored at least once, apart from that did his job very well.

Beni 8 - Boy is just class, gave away a silly free kick but apart from that was brilliant.

Halliday 7 - another man who was a lot better today, always worked hard and looked to get into dangerous areas.

Woodburn 7 - maybe some would say 7 is too high but I honestly thought he was very good in the fist half, had there left back of lch in his pocket in the first half, more to come but pleased with what I saw.

Boyce  8 - always works his socks off and really is so important to how we play, great follow up finish after missing the pen.

GMS 7 - Great team player and is important for us to win possession in key areas and also great at drawing fouls and winning the pen today.

Ginelly 6 - looked dangerous and caused united problems when he came on, great assist for the goal.

Gnando 6 - great finish 

Moore 5 - looked composed but not enough time.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Gordon - 8

He looked totally in command and pulled of some top saves. Bit unfair to say they were save he's expected to make but the point blank header under the bar and Mulgrew's free kick were outstanding. Contrast the weak attempt by Carson to get to what looked a very saveable goal from Gnando. 

Souttar - 8

He looked several levels above every other outfield player on the park, especially in the first half. Destined for the EPL for some hefty loot if we can tie him down to a new contract.

Halkett - 7

Commanding performance again in the centre of a back 3 and was not the only one under pressure when we switched to a 4. 

Cochrane - 8

What a find this boy is. Does exactly what you want a defender to do without any fuss. He is the epitome of how to do the simple things well.

Smith - 7

Shoved it right up the JKB naysayers today with a brilliant performance especially when defending in tight situations. His crossing could be better tho'.

Haring - 8 

He was the engine in our midfield. In the first half he was spraying pinpoint passed that cut through and around a struggling DU defence. Should have done a lot better with the chances he had to score but, TBF, he was the one arriving in the box in the right places.

Beningime - 6 

Turns out he is a mortal after all. He struggled towards the end of the match and gave away possession a few times, but he's still awesome.

Halliday - 7

I'm not a fan but he did have a very good game today.

Woodburn - 6

Some wonderful passes and flicks early on and tailed off a bit. He is clearly going to be a star for us. Just hope the calf injury isn't a problem because I'd love to see him against Hibs.

GMS - 7 

I thought he was brilliant today and caused the Dundee defence loads of problems. Was surprised he was subbed as Boyce looked a more likely candidate.

Boyce - 6

He was probably our weakest player in the first half but still managed to get a goal. He had a good last 10mins and linked well with Gnando.

Ginnelly - 7 

He made a difference when he came on. Class player who loves to drive at defences. Lovely lay off for Gnando and also presence of mind when we were 2 up and decided to retain possession to run the clock down.

Gnando - 6

Strolled it when he came on, and not in a good way. Would like to have seen him work a bit harder when DU were in possession. That said, he looked good when we had the ball and stroked the ball in the net to finish off the tangerines.

Moore - 5

Not on long enough but looks a very good player and slotted well when we went back to a back 3

Looked like Gino realized he needs to up his game to get back in the starting line up. He was aggressive, quick and direct as soon as he got on which was great to see. 

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Subs:

I reckon Souttar would have been in the Scotland squad if it had been picked slightly later. It’s the only way his omission makes any sense. Our lack of good CBs internationally has been a massive weakness and it’s bizarre that Clarke is leaving him out.

30 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

I reckon Souttar would have been in the Scotland squad if it had been picked slightly later. It’s the only way his omission makes any sense. Our lack of good CBs internationally has been a massive weakness and it’s bizarre that Clarke is leaving him out.

I agree, but can't say I'm disappointed at his omission.  Need to keep him fit and healthy for the derby

The Mercer Takeover

Gordon - 8 - Brilliant when needed

Smith - 6 - Good but replaceable

Cochrane - 8 Really solid and perhaps his best game yet

Souttar - 9 - MoM. Solid in defence and his distribution was excellent.

Haring - 6 - Should have scored

Baningime - 7 Can't be MOM every week

Halkett - 7 - Solid

Halliday - 6 - Good, but would like to see how we get on without him

Woodburn - 6 - Promising. Would not have dropped Gino for him though

Boyce - 6- Another week where the game passed him by

Mackay-Steven - 6 - One if his better games

Subs:

Ginnelly - 6 Always a threat

Gnanduillet - 2 - Scored but absolute lump of wood, apart from it

Moore - 4 - Fit in really well.

Neilson 8 Disappointed to see Gino dropped and taking off GMS reduced our threat and allowed United into the game. Good start to the season from Neilson and I'm not a fan. Next game dictates whether he wil be forgiven for last season.

I get the love in with Souttar, but for me, Cochrane was our best defender today. I thought he bailed Halkett out on numerous occasions as well as being solid in his own game

The football in the first hour was what I want to see every week

impressed today 

LarrysRightFoot

Just a point on some folk saying it wasn’t Beni’s best game (nobody has said he was bad) - we need to remember playing 1st team football week in week out is new to him. Plus new surroundings, style of play etc. It’ll be the same with Woodburn. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Good overall performance

Craig Gordon was Craig Gordon 

Haring Motm for me.Cochrane Halkett and Soutar all impressive.

Smith very good,Halliday seemed to struggle.  Baningime had a hard day at the office but never hid. Mackay - Stevens some good runs,won the Penalty and drew a booking but gave some possession away cheaply. 

Boyce worked hard, maybe over worked it at times.  

Woodburn, bright start, faded a bit

Thought we dominated till they had their bright ten minutes. 

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Gnanduillet - 2 - Scored but absolute lump of wood, apart from it

Thanks for giving me a laugh. You missed his tracking back to near our penalty area  to defend just before he scored?

Players that stood out for me: (in order) Souttar/Gordon, Beni/Haring, Smith,Gino, Halkett if I'm honest

Everybody was generally fine though I thoght Halliday struggled a bit.

Edited by ArcticJambo

Gordon - 9 - faultless and some great saves

Smith - 7 - very good but docked a point for his botched effort on goal

Halkett - 7 - they targeted him second half and I didn’t think he looked comfortable against McNulty, but did ok

Souttar - 8 - very good and started most of our attacks

Cochrane - 8 - did well against their tricky young winger who came on

Halliday - 5 - struggled a bit but worked hard

Haring - 6 - improved performance but a shocker of a miss first half. still a tad off the pace but shackled Fuchs (who looked a tidy player) well

Baningime - 7 - a couple of loose touches but generally did well

GMS - 5 - won pen but pretty anonymous

Woodburn - 6 - some encouraging signs

Boyce - 6 - off day generally but got his goal. Think he should show for it a bit more.

Subs

Ginelly - 7 - looked good and easily had the beating of Robson. Good assist. Awful left foot shot!

Gnando - 6 - glad he got his goal

Moore - n/a no real evidence

5 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

Indeed. Some of his play was brilliant. Hopefully on his way back. Very solid apart from the misses

5 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

We talkin' shades of Brellier? He was the spoiler supreme.

Spoiler

Gordon - 10, My MOM. Impervious display from the big man. To think we've had to put up with Bobby, Doyle and Poppadom Hands. Its a breath of fresh air to have a competent keeper again. 

Smith - 7, Steady from Smith this week. Still would like a more attack minded RB

Souttar - 9, Solid as ever. 

Halkett - 6, misjudged a header that just about let in Mcnulty and think he ended up on his arse trying to shepherd a ball out which created a chance for Utd. 

Cochrane - 7, Pretty solid. Looks good. 

Halliday - 6, Worked hard as always, gets stuck in and winds everyone up :D 

Haring - 6, still not where he was pre-injury but solid enough nonetheless

Beni - 9, Stroller. 

GMS - 6, didn't do too much beyond win the penalty for me. 

Boyce - 7, I think he's getting involved in too much build up play. Dunno if its instruction or instinct, but would prefer if he focused on being in position to put the ball in the net instead of dropping so deep all the time. 

Woodburn - 6, I didn't see too much from him tbh. 

Gnando - 5, got a goal, didn't do too much else

Gino - 7, a real handful for the opposition. Like the idea of him or Woodburn coming on to run at a leggy defence. 

Moore - 5, looked fine but don't think he had much time to gauge anything yet. 

I'm hopeful Moore can push Halkett for a starting place. For me, despite a back 3 being his preferred formation, he's still being carried through games by a combo of Souttar and Gordon. Maybe having to work a bit harder might help him sharpen up a bit. I think unless he cuts out the sloppy mistakes he's going to cost us points this season. Gordon, Souttar and Beni are an absolute joy to watch. Boyce IMO works too hard, its like he's trying to do everything and I would really like it if his main focus was to be getting on the end of crosses and passes into the box. Too often he's taken the ball in and around the centre circle which limits his options massively. Subs all looked good. Smith was better this week, but I still think we need a more attack minded RWB. Alternatively, dump Halkett and play a back 4. Something like:

Gordon

Smith Moore Souttar Kingsley

Haring Beni

GMS Woodburn Gino

Boyce

5 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

I reckon (just a hunch) that his omission is more to do with the fact that these games in quick succession have maybe just come a bit soon for Soapy. Like everyone Soapy is the best CB that Scotland has currently. He is also the most consistent by a country mile, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon 

Hard to believe that this is a guy who at one point we all thought, deep down, may actually never play again, nor get back to his potential and just because of the horrendous injuries that he had.

He just oozes class on the field of play, and in a way, I am glad he has been omitted and if it was to do with not wanting to put pressure on his game time but gradually ease him into it, with a view to having him ready and available for the next qualifiers then that’s perfectly understandable.

if it wasn’t for that reason then Clarke needs to get his head read. I think RN alluded to this same point recently re the game time possibly being a factor 

6 hours ago, Doc Rob said:

Souttar moves in to MacTominay's centre half role so McTominay can focus on midfield, imo.

And considering MacTominay didn't make the squad due to injury makes Souttar's exclusion even more bizarre.

Haring MOTM. Folk giving him a 6. :rofl: 

Should’ve scored undoubtedly but FFS guy was superb at breaking their play down. 

2 hours ago, SteauaNeedarest said:

Haring MOTM. Folk giving him a 6. :rofl: 

Should’ve scored undoubtedly but FFS guy was superb at breaking their play down. 

Thats what I thought...His passing and breakibg forwsrd was also impressive today

Edited by moonraker

mickycameron98
12 hours ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Gordon - 8

He looked totally in command and pulled of some top saves. Bit unfair to say they were save he's expected to make but the point blank header under the bar and Mulgrew's free kick were outstanding. Contrast the weak attempt by Carson to get to what looked a very saveable goal from Gnando. 

Souttar - 8

He looked several levels above every other outfield player on the park, especially in the first half. Destined for the EPL for some hefty loot if we can tie him down to a new contract.

Halkett - 7

Commanding performance again in the centre of a back 3 and was not the only one under pressure when we switched to a 4. 

Cochrane - 8

What a find this boy is. Does exactly what you want a defender to do without any fuss. He is the epitome of how to do the simple things well.

Smith - 7

Shoved it right up the JKB naysayers today with a brilliant performance especially when defending in tight situations. His crossing could be better tho'.

Haring - 8 

He was the engine in our midfield. In the first half he was spraying pinpoint passed that cut through and around a struggling DU defence. Should have done a lot better with the chances he had to score but, TBF, he was the one arriving in the box in the right places.

Beningime - 6 

Turns out he is a mortal after all. He struggled towards the end of the match and gave away possession a few times, but he's still awesome.

Halliday - 7

I'm not a fan but he did have a very good game today.

Woodburn - 6

Some wonderful passes and flicks early on and tailed off a bit. He is clearly going to be a star for us. Just hope the calf injury isn't a problem because I'd love to see him against Hibs.

GMS - 7 

I thought he was brilliant today and caused the Dundee defence loads of problems. Was surprised he was subbed as Boyce looked a more likely candidate.

Boyce - 6

He was probably our weakest player in the first half but still managed to get a goal. He had a good last 10mins and linked well with Gnando.

Ginnelly - 7 

He made a difference when he came on. Class player who loves to drive at defences. Lovely lay off for Gnando and also presence of mind when we were 2 up and decided to retain possession to run the clock down.

Gnando - 6

Strolled it when he came on, and not in a good way. Would like to have seen him work a bit harder when DU were in possession. That said, he looked good when we had the ball and stroked the ball in the net to finish off the tangerines.

Moore - 5

Not on long enough but looks a very good player and slotted well when we went back to a back 3

There is no way Haring was an 8. I'm actually a fan of Haring but I thought he gave the ball away too often yesterday and we could have been punished on another day. 

3 hours ago, mickycameron98 said:

There is no way Haring was an 8. I'm actually a fan of Haring but I thought he gave the ball away too often yesterday and we could have been punished on another day. 

Would be good to see his "Pass completion" stats but my perceotion is he gave the ball away far less than anyone else in midfield and also made more forward passes than others (Which does naturally come with risk)

Cochrane will be a superstar imo.  A great talent. He’ll be playing in the EPL next season, so we should enjoy him while it lasts.  It’s not easy being comfortable at both LWB and LCB, but he’s ticked both boxes.  Kingsley will struggle to get back in, especially with Moore on the books as well now.  That said, at least we have cover at the back if we need to rest Souttar or Halkett to prevent their injuries flaring up. 

11 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

I reckon (just a hunch) that his omission is more to do with the fact that these games in quick succession have maybe just come a bit soon for Soapy. Like everyone Soapy is the best CB that Scotland has currently. He is also the most consistent by a country mile, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon 

Hard to believe that this is a guy who at one point we all thought, deep down, may actually never play again, nor get back to his potential and just because of the horrendous injuries that he had.

He just oozes class on the field of play, and in a way, I am glad he has been omitted and if it was to do with not wanting to put pressure on his game time but gradually ease him into it, with a view to having him ready and available for the next qualifiers then that’s perfectly understandable.

if it wasn’t for that reason then Clarke needs to get his head read. I think RN alluded to this same point recently re the game time possibly being a factor 

Yes, that’s sort of what I meant, but I didn’t express it well. If the squad had been picked after Souttar had another month or two of league games under his belt, then I think he’d have been in it. It’s good that we’re not piling pressure on him right away, assuming that’s why.