Ben Woodburn

tartofmidlothian

Technically you can see his pedigree and background...once truly upto match sharpness, looks like a helluva player for us along with Beni and Barrie McKay, who looks already head and shoulders above GMS and Gino...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alwaysthereinspirit

• kingantti1874

• RustyRightPeg

• GinRummy

20 minutes ago, rudi must stay said:

Are you the same poster that said Gordon will not be beat by Hibs if so well done an interesting posting style

probably. because i always back HMFC . haven't a clue what a posting style is 

Absolutely quality. Sadly went off when we were right on top. He picked up some lovely positions and was causing them problems. The fact that they improved when he went off says it all for me. Will be a big player for us this season. 

Started off the 2nd half brilliantly. Only player that looked like opening them up. Don’t know how gassed he was (didn’t look too bad for me) but should have stayed on. We were so flat when he went off. A class act

Edited by The Fish

Looked decent today and will only get better when he’s fully up to speed.

Do Liverpool have a recall clause for Jan? Harvey Elliott broken leg against Leeds will mean he’s out for the foreseeable future.

On 28/08/2021 at 16:43, tartofmidlothian said:

How did he do today?

He’s a player that’s for sure!

7 minutes ago, Chaps said:

Looked decent today and will only get better when he’s fully up to speed.

Do Liverpool have a recall clause for Jan? Harvey Elliott broken leg against Leeds will mean he’s out for the foreseeable future.

Different positions really. 

15 minutes ago, Australis said:

The lad has so much skill and talent.

And a wonderful attitude as well, so looking forward to seeing him each week.

#Attitude #Skill  #Talent 

I agree with you but what’s with the hashtags 😂 

Ainsley Harriott
27 minutes ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

Thought he should never have been subbed today ! For me he was the player opening their  defence up with his excellent ball control 

I think he was holding his hamstring when he went off

He was terrific today, great touch on him and a good shot on him. Liked the way he and GMS linked up intelligently which will also complement Boyce

Hope Liverpool don’t have a recall option now that Elliot has been injured

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Watched Ben since he was 14,that was a nothing performance from him😒

Some Jambos easily pleased.

The state of this. 

Captain Canada
51 minutes ago, everton_jambo said:

He was terrific today, great touch on him and a good shot on him. Liked the way he and GMS linked up intelligently which will also complement Boyce

That was my thought earlier too. Horrible to see Elliot get such a bad injury. 

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, everton_jambo said:

They could only recall him in January due to how player registration works, so you would imagine Elliot will be back by then or close to returning.

But he is a good player, think he is still trying to get up to speed but you can see his intelligence on the ball and technique. That shot in the first half showed he can bring something out of little.

2 hours ago, GavK1012 said:

Technically you can see his pedigree and background...once truly upto match sharpness, looks like a helluva player for us along with Beni and Barrie McKay, who looks already head and shoulders above GMS and Gino...

Best is still to come   get all new players settled, then wel be OK   these international breaks are a c....t though, wish we could keep  players here to play our league games rather than go away, and pick up injury !      

50 minutes ago, Captain Canada said:

That was my thought earlier too. Horrible to see Elliot get such a bad injury. 

being reported as a dislocated ankle so hopefully they will be able to put it back in place at the Hospital and his recovery will be quicker than initially expected. Hope so as he is a cracking player

3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Watched Ben since he was 14,that was a nothing performance from him😒

Some Jambos easily pleased.

Your a belter! Can you try not to make  trolling seem so easy  🖕

We've seen technically gifted loans before and been easily impressed by a few drops of the shoulder. Woodburn looks strong though, he wasn't pushed off the ball and hopefully we get to see him really pulling the strings from now on consistently. 

4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

he’s different class.. touch, movement, vision.  That effort in the first half was lovely, a wee shift and bang.  If it had been 6 cm lower it would have been a derby goal for the ages 

Exactly. Extremely fast decision making, got stuck in and won balls I thought he had no chance at, and made sneaky little touches out of tight spots that saw the ball shoot into open space with no one running onto it.

If he can get on the same page as his teammates, he could filet some SPFL defences.

Did not look even a little overwhelmed by the occasion. I'm excited to see more of him.

1 hour ago, Hectormasson said:

Best is still to come   get all new players settled, then wel be OK   these international breaks are a c....t though, wish we could keep  players here to play our league games rather than go away, and pick up injury !      

I know the calendar dictates it, but it would be better if they had the first internationals of the season after about ten games to let teams get into their stride.  

A break after a few weeks spoils the start of the season.  

4 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

They could only recall him in January due to how player registration works, so you would imagine Elliot will be back by then or close to returning.

But he is a good player, think he is still trying to get up to speed but you can see his intelligence on the ball and technique. That shot in the first half showed he can bring something out of little.

Thanks - good news!

7 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

he’s different class.. touch, movement, vision.  That effort in the first half was lovely, a wee shift and bang.  If it had been 6 cm lower it would have been a derby goal for the ages 

inches

Woody is a class act that’s why we only have him on loan. Hopefully he keeps injury free. GMS could learn a few things from him  in that role around Boyce

A_A wehatethehibs
13 hours ago, everton_jambo said:

I don’t 100% know but don’t think they really play the same position. Woodburn is a front 3 player think Elliot is typically a deeper midfielder.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Loved his rapid wall passes (if that’s what they’re called) with GMS in very tight spaces. GMS was responding and keeping up …Woodburn might just bring out the very best in GMS this season.

Jambof3tornado
15 hours ago, FERRY HEARTS said:

Thought he should never have been subbed today ! For me he was the player opening their  defence up with his excellent ball control 

He had did some stretches like he was cramping up, he looked done in before he got subbed.

Most exciting player I’ve seen in maroon in many, many years. Little sly things he does are just excellent. He uses his body well as well, for someone so slight he’s a strong boy. Almost like Salah does where he can pin a man and uses the opposition players own momentum against them and rolls away from them. 

Him and Beni are a class above of us. 

The more minutes we can get in his legs and get him fitter. What a player he’s gonna be. 

First time I've seen him in the flesh yesterday and thought he was excellent. His wee shift and shoot move was awesome and was very nearly an absolute cracker of a goal. His wee touches, passes and flicks were a thing of beauty and the sign of a very clever player.

Pleased with McKay too. Even though he's not played in a while he looked quick, physical, and I was very impressed when one of his first touches was to land a 30yd cross/pass right on Ginnelly's nose at the back post.

We're looking very good in attack. Next game needs to be Gino / Boyce / Woodburn. GMS shat it so many times yesterday and failed to press on a few occasions, which just wasn't good enough. By the time he had got his finger out an hour in, he was being subbed. 

Unfortunately our lack of an attacking minded centre mid was our undoing. Beni was unreal and Haring was OK, but a couple of times the ball just rolled into nobody in the middle of the park because there was nobody sitting "in the hole", and Hibs were able to just pick up the loose ball with ease. Could have used some height up front as well but can't have it all can we... 

Edited by Batistuta87

The Future's Maroon
33 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Most exciting player I’ve seen in maroon in many, many years. Little sly things he does are just excellent. He uses his body well as well, for someone so slight he’s a strong boy. Almost like Salah does where he can pin a man and uses the opposition players own momentum against them and rolls away from them. 

Him and Beni are a class above of us. 

The more minutes we can get in his legs and get him fitter. What a player he’s gonna be. 

Exact words I said to my (Hibby) old man last night and he agreed.

28 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

First time I've seen him in the flesh yesterday and thought he was excellent. His wee shift and shoot move was awesome and was very nearly an absolute cracker of a goal. His wee touches, passes and flicks were a thing of beauty and the sign of a very clever player.

Pleased with McKay too. Even though he's not played in a while he looked quick, physical, and I was very impressed when one of his first touches was to land a 30yd cross/pass right on Ginnelly's nose at the back post.

We're looking very good in attack. Next game needs to be Gino / Boyce / Woodburn. GMS shat it so many times yesterday and failed to press on a few occasions, which just wasn't good enough. By the time he had got his finger out an hour in, he was being subbed. 

Unfortunately our lack of an attacking minded centre mid was our undoing. Beni was unreal and Haring was OK, but a couple of times the ball just rolled into nobody in the middle of the park because there was nobody sitting "in the hole", and Hibs were able to just pick up the loose ball with ease. Could have used some height up front as well but can't have it all can we... 

In fairness he was stuck between a rock and a hard place with the press. 

From goal kicks, for some reason Boyce kept dropping onto Newell in centre midfield which left Woodburn and GMS against 3 centre halves for Hibs. They pushed their wing backs (Doig and Cadden) very high which pushed ours back and they also let McGinn drift out onto the touch line from goal kicks which left a huge bit of space for him to cover. Cochrane was marking Cadden and we were obviously concerned (quite rightly) about Boyle’s pace over the top which meant the whole left side of our team behind GMS was 15-20 yards deeper than it should’ve been. Eventually Boyce pushed a bit higher and it let GMS play on McGinn but it took us way too long to suss it out and in fairness to Hibs if they’d acted quicker it was their out ball but Porteous seems to think he’s good enough to play 50-60 yards clips over the top so nothing came of it. 

3 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

In fairness he was stuck between a rock and a hard place with the press. 

From goal kicks, for some reason Boyce kept dropping onto Newell in centre midfield which left Woodburn and GMS against 3 centre halves for Hibs. They pushed their wing backs (Doig and Cadden) very high which pushed ours back and they also let McGinn drift out onto the touch line from goal kicks which left a huge bit of space for him to cover. Cochrane was marking Cadden and we were obviously concerned (quite rightly) about Boyle’s pace over the top which meant the whole left side of our team behind GMS was 15-20 yards deeper than it should’ve been. Eventually Boyce pushed a bit higher and it let GMS play on McGinn but it took us way too long to suss it out and in fairness to Hibs if they’d acted quicker it was their out ball but Porteous seems to think he’s good enough to play 50-60 yards clips over the top so nothing came of it. 

All true. Sometimes when Hibs defenders were in possession though GMS was just happy to let the game pass him by. He didn't run after the ball or put any pressure on them, didn't stick a foot in, and allowed them to pass freely along the backline. He turned his back on an aeriel 50/50 and pulled out of a few others on the ground which showed him to be a bit of a shitebag IMO. He needs to show a bit more bravery and a bit more desire to win these duels. 

57 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

He had did some stretches like he was cramping up, he looked done in before he got subbed.

15 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I think he was holding his hamstring when he went off

Sorry lads never seen him stretching or pulling up I must have been that rapped up atmosphere! Loved seeing Ben on sport scene having a kick at Hobo off ball. The lad don’t shirk FTH 

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

All true. Sometimes when Hibs defenders were in possession though GMS was just happy to let the game pass him by. He didn't run after the ball or put any pressure on them, didn't stick a foot in, and allowed them to pass freely along the backline. He turned his back on an aeriel 50/50 and pulled out of a few others on the ground which showed him to be a bit of a shitebag IMO. He needs to show a bit more bravery and a bit more desire to win these duels. 

That’s just what he is though and whilst it’s be nice for him to win a tackle or two, he isn’t in the team to win tackles and bully folk he’s there to create and finish chances.

He had 3 good strikes yesterday which Macey made 3 good saves from. On another day a lesser goalie doesn’t get down for the one he hit with his right foot. Him and Woodburn fed off each other well so there’s a lot to be happy about. 

3 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Agree but it’s not going to happen. He’s all the player he ever will be and most of the time his defensive work consists of a halfhearted jog towards his opponent. Not really any intention of getting there. 

24 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I thought GMS did well yesterday. He and Woodburn will be good at unlocking defences for us, especially at Tynie v teams who sit in.

Wish he'd realised he had more time with his chance. Was good right foot hit, but he could've taken another touch closer to goal in hindsight

Woodburn seems to have a bit of swagger to match his quality. Was disappointed to see him taken off. Didn't notice the hamstring issue that others did.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Haring looks panicked whenever he gets the ball going forward. Not sure if he's lacking confidence in his abilities or still got his injury in the back of his mind and worried about getting snapped.

Better than he was last season, but still not anywhere as commanding as he was when he first signed. 

What would you do? Keep playing him as he is improving and gelling well with Beni or try someone else in there?

17 hours ago, The Fish said:

Started off the 2nd half brilliantly. Only player that looked like opening them up. Don’t know how gassed he was (didn’t look too bad for me) but should have stayed on. We were so flat when he went off. A class act

I like the urgency about him wanting to get on with things when others were strolling about.

This guy looks the business and I am looking forward ro seeing more of him.

Hopefully some of his desire and enthusiasim rubs off on some of the others.

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That's what Robbie gets paid the big bucks for, thankfully. 

They say don't change a winning team, but that's two home games - admittedly against 3rd and 4th from last season - we've drawn. Would be tough on Haring, but can't imagine we brought Devlin all the way from Oz to sit on the bench?

A balancing act I suppose. No doubt Devlin will get his chance. 

10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

That's what Robbie gets paid the big bucks for, thankfully. 

They say don't change a winning team, but that's two home games - admittedly against 3rd and 4th from last season - we've drawn. Would be tough on Haring, but can't imagine we brought Devlin all the way from Oz to sit on the bench?

We will get injuries and suspensions and maybe the odd change of formation so we need the depth in the squad.

In the past we have not have this. Lose a couple of players and we end up having to reshuffle the pack.

With the options we have now we have straight replacements in most areas.