Hector Nicol

lou

been here before
2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

He's been buried in the Dean Cemetery for a good while now! 😜

Thoughts to family.

No age, tragedy, taken too young etc

On 28/08/2021 at 13:14, Athletes Feet said:

Personally prefer the 80’s version… based on zero facts, I think we start better when that’s played vs Hector version. Feels more energetic and gets the crowd going more… As I say - zero facts!

This reads like the benitez facts rant, except you accept you have no facts. Hector it is. 

Prefer the 80s one as i feels more current and upbeat. Although have a soft spot for the Hector version, wouldn't be outraged if they played either TBH...

Bazzas right boot

Both great. 

Newer version every day of the week for me tho on match day. 

Gets the blood pumping and the battle fever face oan. 

Older version is for greetin when 10 beers and 6 shots in, not for the game. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

Bazzas right boot
On 28/08/2021 at 17:54, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Yep, terrible dirge.

Besides, we always seemed to lose any time Scotty Wilson played it before a game.

I called this out a few years ago and tracked it for a bit. 

Results were inconclusive. 😁

Салатные палочки

Has to be the 80s version for me. Just gets the plums pumping. Love Hector Nichol's version but it just doesn't get the hairs on the back of my neck up like the '86 one. 

One of my dad's best mates is a Celtic fan and says, for him, it's the best anthem in Scottish football. We bought him the 'Heartbeat' tape so he could listen to it. He also loved the Back from the Brink video as it happens and borrowed it a few times. 

LeylandJambo

I remember listening to the John Peel show one night lying in bed and he reviewed the Colin Chisholm version. Something along the lines of "it's not bad one of the better football songs I've heard". Still prefer the original though.

On 29/08/2021 at 19:20, been here before said:

Thoughts to family.

No age, tragedy, taken too young etc

This was the sort of response I expected. What I didn't know was the amount of tragedy that he had in his life, in particular the murder of his son.

18 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

This was the sort of response I expected. What I didn't know was the amount of tragedy that he had in his life, in particular the murder of his son.

He lost 2 his 3 sons. Must have been really tough. 

Nicol had three sons, two of whom died tragically. One choked to death while eating, while another was murdered in a senseless attack.[1] Stephen Nicol, age 19, was stabbed to death by a 15-year-old boy at a bus stop in Edinburgh on 8 June 1973. At trial, it was revealed that the perpetrator, George Riddell, was not motivated by any greed or anger, but had simply decided to stab someone. David Brand, Lord Brand sentenced Riddell to indefinite detention for the murder of Stephen Nicol, who had suffered from a chronic illness.[5] Nicol nearly left the entertainment business after his son's murder.[1]

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

He lost 2 his 3 sons. Must have been really tough. 

Nicol had three sons, two of whom died tragically. One choked to death while eating, while another was murdered in a senseless attack.[1] Stephen Nicol, age 19, was stabbed to death by a 15-year-old boy at a bus stop in Edinburgh on 8 June 1973. At trial, it was revealed that the perpetrator, George Riddell, was not motivated by any greed or anger, but had simply decided to stab someone. David Brand, Lord Brand sentenced Riddell to indefinite detention for the murder of Stephen Nicol, who had suffered from a chronic illness.[5] Nicol nearly left the entertainment business after his son's murder.[1]

Can't imagine the pain

Personaly, I'll gladly (and do) belt out any version pre-match. But, I always reckon that 'original is best' when it comes to assessing 'cover versions'.

With the 'Hearts Song', can I respectfully point out that the new versions tend to get the lyrics wrong? To wit:- "Though some say that Celtic and Rangers are grand ... " is simply incorrect.

Listen to the original:-

"Though some say the Rangers and Celtic are grand, the-e boys in maroon are the best in the land"

If yer gonna do a 'tribute' then get it right!

Edited by Wee Mikey

On 30/08/2021 at 13:22, Pasquale for King said:

Hector at the beginning of the game and the newer version at HT, should keep everyone happy?

Good shout. 👍