• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• William H. Bonney

• GinRummy

• Doc Rob

• Tazio

4 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Lee Miller is a player that rarely gets a mention despite getting a good amount of goals in his wee spell with us.

I'd hoped we would sign him on a long term deal. I'm not sure but..was it 11 goals in 15 appearances or something? Don't know why that figure is in my head. Could even be someone else! I mind Helmar Thorarrinsson as well. Scored in the League Cup semi-Final at Easter Road against Motherwell if i remember correctly, all before Vlad took over officially.

There were so many that came and went through the Vlad years it's impossible to remember them all. Read recently there was actually more Lithuanians than i remembered. The first that arrived was Marian Kyzs or something, i remember him. Arrived around the time as Miko and Chezny. Then that terrible winter transfer window of 2006...Lee Johnson, some winger called Chris Hakett and Sammy Kamazzola who i thought was pretty decent to be fair. 

Also remember we signed Kevin Twaddle at some point as well. Pre-Vlad days though.  Levein signing striker Ramon Pereira, Dennis Wyness and Jean'Louis Valois as well as the better known ones of Kevin McKenna, Phil Stamp and MdV of course.

12 minutes ago, jambonian said:

I'd hoped we would sign him on a long term deal. I'm not sure but..was it 11 goals in 15 appearances or something? Don't know why that figure is in my head. Could even be someone else! I mind Helmar Thorarrinsson as well. Scored in the League Cup semi-Final at Easter Road against Motherwell if i remember correctly, all before Vlad took over officially.

There were so many that came and went through the Vlad years it's impossible to remember them all. Read recently there was actually more Lithuanians than i remembered. The first that arrived was Marian Kyzs or something, i remember him. Arrived around the time as Miko and Chezny. Then that terrible winter transfer window of 2006...Lee Johnson, some winger called Chris Hakett and Sammy Kamazzola who i thought was pretty decent to be fair. 

Also remember we signed Kevin Twaddle at some point as well. Pre-Vlad days though.  Levein signing striker Ramon Pereira, Dennis Wyness and Jean'Louis Valois as well as the better known ones of Kevin McKenna, Phil Stamp and MdV of course.

I reckon most fans liked Miller. Forgot all about Valois, awarded the MOTM in the De Vries derby 😀, was a sensational player on his day but those days were few and far between. 

I mind Joe Jordan signing around 9 players in two and a half years.Seemed a lot then, maybe not nowadays. Winger Steve Penney was one, Ian Baird, John Millar, some guy from Man Utd that never made an appearance called John Sharples, Peter Van de Ven from Aberdeen, Glynn Snodin, Tommy Wilson from St Mirren  played one sub appearance in the 4-2 Prague game, not sure if it was him who signed Fraser Wishart. Mind's gone blank.

Tommy McLean signed about 9 players in one season. Colin Cramb, David Hagen, Jim Bett, Willie Jamieson, Craig Nelson, Brian Hamilton,  Dave McPherson back, Colin Miller and someone else. 

A few names there that could easily be forgotten.

McGlynn The Money
1 hour ago, jambonian said:

I mind Joe Jordan signing around 9 players in two and a half years.Seemed a lot then, maybe not nowadays. Winger Steve Penney was one, Ian Baird, John Millar, some guy from Man Utd that never made an appearance called John Sharples, Peter Van de Ven from Aberdeen, Glynn Snodin, Tommy Wilson from St Mirren  played one sub appearance in the 4-2 Prague game, not sure if it was him who signed Fraser Wishart. Mind's gone blank.

Tommy McLean signed about 9 players in one season. Colin Cramb, David Hagen, Jim Bett, Willie Jamieson, Craig Nelson, Brian Hamilton,  Dave McPherson back, Colin Miller and someone else. 

McLean signed Wishart, didn't think we had enough ex Rangers players in the squad.

32 minutes ago, Chong said:

Derek Lilley 

I used to help coach football at our local primary school and the teacher who assisted with the coaching organised for a couple of Livi players to come along, Lee Makel and Derek Lilley, this was during the time Livi had the eccentric Brazilian coach. I had a chat with the guys, Lee was fairly non-committal but did say he had enjoyed his time at Hearts, Derek was more enthusiastic about playing for Hearts and said it was the first result he looked out for, I spoke with him the following Saturday when he was warming up as a sub for Livi, my eldest son is a Livi fan so I took him there if Hearts were away from home, first thing Derek wanted to know was the Hearts score.

A number of players who Cathro brought in. Only a few years ago, and they were only here months, but feels like none of them made any contribution whatsoever.

No Idle Talk
19 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Craig Levein. 

Never mentioned on here. 

He should only ever be mentioned on here in terms of his playing career. 

No Idle Talk
3 hours ago, jambonian said:

That is brutal. Perhaps indicative of where the club was at the time financially. A miserable list of players nonetheless. With the exception of big Davie and Jim Bett. Although Bett's best days were well behind him I still thought he added a touch of class to the Hearts midfield. Terrific passer of a ball and very good with both feet.

Maroon Sailor
14 hours ago, Heres Rixxy said:

How can we tell you about the players we forgot played for us?

By watching old clips on YouTube

Vincent Guerin. Multiple league and cup winner in France, including Cup Winners Cup. Got caught on the drugs and ended up playing at Hearts. Showed in flashes he was a quality player.

1 minute ago, rabthejambo said:

Vincent Guerin. Multiple league and cup winner in France, including Cup Winners Cup. Got caught on the drugs and ended up playing at Hearts. Showed in flashes he was a quality player.

Stephane Paille (sp) another french guy. Drugs involved in his sacking i remember. 

12 hours ago, Chaps said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/hearts-transfers-made-handful-appearances-17133205.amp

Came across this when googling Kieran McAnespie as had no idea who he was either :lol: 

So we had George Wright on TV with Jo Guest and McAnespie as a cameraman on Babestation...Can we make an whole team?

wheatfield to sheffield
3 hours ago, McGlynn The Money said:

Leigh "Jinkmeister General" Jenkinson.

The first time I ever read the phrase 'one trick pony' was describing Leigh Jenkinson

William H. Bonney

Peter van de ven is a player I have zero recollection of. He played 39 games for hearts and I can’t remember one. It’s really odd because normally you remember something, but with him, nothing. 

3 minutes ago, Furious Styles said:

Peter van de ven is a player I have zero recollection of. He played 39 games for hearts and I can’t remember one. It’s really odd because normally you remember something, but with him, nothing. 

The Cantona chant - "Oh ah Cantona" was adapted to "Ooh ah Van de Ven" so he was reasonably popular while with us (from Aberdeen). Man of the match away to Standard Liege with his family not having too far to travel to watch. That was a great performance where we lost an unlucky goal when on top and Robbo missed a good chance to equalise with about 10 mins left. I think he moved back to Holland when he left us.

4 hours ago, McGlynn The Money said:

McLean signed Wishart, didn't think we had enough ex Rangers players in the squad.

Wallace Mercer had tried to sign him previously

Just now, Deke Thornton said:

👍

When it really hit home being a hearts fan wasn't about glory , for a few decades anyway .

Think he cost £9500 , he was very , very , very , very average 

My memory of Lee Miller is signing for Aberdeen over Hearts for  bigger wage.

Billy McKay part of the 86 squad.Rated highly at Rangers but a bad injury ruined his progress there.

Signs for Hearts and i can only remember him coming on as a sub a few times.

McGlynn The Money
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Stephane Paille (sp) another french guy. Drugs involved in his sacking i remember. 

Sadly passed away now too.

2 hours ago, wheatfield to sheffield said:

The first time I ever read the phrase 'one trick pony' was describing Leigh Jenkinson

Also heard a lot of people just describe him as pony.

1 hour ago, benny said:

My memory of Lee Miller is signing for Aberdeen over Hearts for  bigger wage.

He actually rejected us for Dundee United and then signed for Aberdeen a year later.

I remember being pretty gutted at the time when he didn't sign for us (seem to remember the transfer saga dragging on for a while). Little did we know what would happen in the following season...

Smoked-Glass
23 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Lee Miller is a player that rarely gets a mention despite getting a good amount of goals in his wee spell with us.

Can't believe he chose Dundee United.   Utter face 🌴 

Rocky Visconte

Only remembered when thinking about Cam Devlin and then the other Aussies we've had

Edited by Poseidon

The signing of Taylor Moore from Bristol City has reminded me of Mark Gavin a winger signed by Doddie in the late 80s, total flop who Joe Jordan signed for Bristol and was a big favourite at Ashton Gate

1 hour ago, BarneyBattles said:

Here's one I forgot may not have played for Hearts. 

Tom Black ex-St. Mirren and Killie player. I have it in my mind we signed him on a very short contract in the 90s as cover but no mention on wiki or London Hearts. 

Anyone else recall this or am I talking pish? 

He scored against hibs early in the 98/99 season when they got relegated in a famous 2-1 win for Stranraer with ex-Jambo and son of the legendary Alec) Jason Young getting the other. I remember being delighted that two ex-Jambos had scored. 

Tom Black never played for Hearts, might be getting confused with Tommy Wilson who played at the same time, and made one sub appearance v Slavia Prague

On 26/08/2021 at 07:52, rudiatemyhamster said:

He had a poor run at the JTs, looked lost

I’ll go for Gordon Durie.  Should never of been signed.

Double on his debut, then not much else after that.  

21 hours ago, GinRummy said:

They were.  Can’t recall what drugs they were, but they certainly weren’t performance enhancing ones.  

No longer active

Glenn Whelan;  not so long ago... 15 times

Kevin Keegan; once

Mauricio Pinilla; twice

Edited by George Cowie

ScottieMac17
1 hour ago, Paolo said:

I actually thought he was OK.  

Defo not the worst Lithuanian we had anyway. I actually won his top from the rangers game he scored in, at a raffle for my local team when I was younger. I'm sure it's in the attic.

Kalamazoo Jambo
23 hours ago, GinRummy said:

Gone but not forgotten…