Old Programme valuation - WOW !!!!

dannymack

Check the valuation on this programme !!!

I know Hearts programmes pre 1960 can fetch a few Bob but I certainly didn't expect a price like this to be put on an end of season friendly.

Is the price sky high because its against Hearts ? 

I wonder if it will be bought in due course or a lower offer submitted to the seller. 

Anyway.... any spare change ? 

Screenshot_20210825-080636_eBay.jpg

• davemclaren changed the title to Old Programme valuation - WOW !!!!

Quite often see people chancing their arm on eBay.

If you look at the supposed rare coins they try to sell for hundreds, it's madness because the real value is simply face value.

Just another con (I think?).

Here’s probably a much rarer one from the days where programmes were sold for Reserve games. Mind you these games attracted big crowds by today’s standards - sometimes 10000 plus.

A1BD8031-76A2-4B5F-8467-0EDC989223F9.jpeg

been here before
2 hours ago, dannymack said:

Check the valuation on this programme !!!

I know Hearts programmes pre 1960 can fetch a few Bob but I certainly didn't expect a price like this to be put on an end of season friendly.

Is the price sky high because its against Hearts ? 

I wonder if it will be bought in due course or a lower offer submitted to the seller. 

Anyway.... any spare change ? 

Screenshot_20210825-080636_eBay.jpg

Thats the price he's asking which isnt necessarily the same as what its worth.

I could stick last Sundays in ebay for 900 sheets. Im not going to get it though.

PM me though if anyones interested, decent nick, couple of wee folds... Ill go down to 850.

16 minutes ago, Deevers said:

I’ve got a stack of these in the attic dating from the 1940s - wonder what they are worth.

5DF7FD63-170B-491E-9C16-24FFF797E611.jpeg

I donated a stack of old ones during the fund raising days. That nice guy, Jim, who had a stall in the Gorgie Suite. As far as I know, one is in the museum, which is all I ever wanted really. Haven’t been in the museum since the stand was done up. Will need to pay a visit sometime. 

Niemi’s gloves

Presumably the point is that it is because it’s a relatively obscure friendly that it may have some value, if not many were printed and if there are some obsessives out there who want a complete set of everything Killie issued. 

"Vere Ferrers Townshend Bootland" would fill the back of a shirt these days.

Just googled his name and Charles is still alive. 105 years old.

Edited by martoon

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Deevers said:

I’ve got a stack of these in the attic dating from the 1940s - wonder what they are worth.

I sold a load of these a couple of years ago around £20-£30 each there are some more obscure ones worth a lot more. I had an Ipswich Hearts programme form the 1930's which i got around £100 for. I also had a postponed Hearts-Hibs programme from the sixties the new years day game was postponed and all the programmes for the rearranged fixture had the new date stamped over the original but some were missed and still had the 1st of January on it i got £65 probably worth a lot more now. i remember being at an auction at Ingleston when a collection (somebody Gray i think) came up for sale the Lausanne Hearts programme third game was sold for around £2k if my memory is right

18 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

I sold a load of these a couple of years ago around £20-£30 each there are some more obscure ones worth a lot more. I had an Ipswich Hearts programme form the 1930's which i got around £100 for. I also had a postponed Hearts-Hibs programme from the sixties the new years day game was postponed and all the programmes for the rearranged fixture had the new date stamped over the original but some were missed and still had the 1st of January on it i got £65 probably worth a lot more now. i remember being at an auction at Ingleston when a collection (somebody Gray i think) came up for sale the Lausanne Hearts programme third game was sold for around £2k if my memory is right

Yeah some of the more obscure ones are worth a bit.  I have the entire cup run in 56 including both our semi final games against Raith Rovers tucked away.  I took a stack of old ones down to the museum a while back (mostly non Hearts) that I think they sold on for funds. 

Edited by Deevers

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Deevers said:

Yeah some of the more obscure ones are worth a bit.  I have the entire cup run in 56 including both our semi final games against Raith Rovers tucked away.  I took a stack of old ones down to the museum a while back (mostly non Hearts) that I think they sold on for funds. 

cheers i have every home programme from 2000 until 2017 when i stopped buying them most have team sheets some with tickets and newspaper cuttings if we won i might just take them down to Jim and his wife that sell them on.

Can't imagine there are many of these kicking around nowadays.

img314.thumb.jpg.8d84b57055eb731e6d53cc02707f2b09.jpg

Got some other friendlies against Meadowbank Th. from the '80's.

Also some Third Lanark (away) from the early/mid '60's.

Used to have hundreds of programmes, but had to sell most of them a number of years ago, kept all the semi-final & finals from the 60's to present day, and any other unusual or interesting programmes, such as Vale of Leithen (away) in the cup in 1962 and Gretna (away) May 2008, what's interesting about that one is, not only was it the final game Gretna played in the Premier League but it was the final game Gretna ever played, as they folded weeks later and re-formed as Gretna 2008. 

Pub quiz question: What was score, Gretna won 1-0 with Gavin Skelton scoring in the 93rd minute.

1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Oldest one I've got is this one, East of Scotland Shield Final, 11 April 1949

img313.jpg

That’s a cracker.

6 hours ago, Deevers said:

any chance we can play with that formation Saturday - be a damn sight less turgid!!

I remember an item listed on e Bay a few years ago. 

It was the Hearts home programme for a match on 1/1/1973.

It was listed at £500 never found out if it actually sold. 

scott herbertson
5 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

any chance we can play with that formation Saturday - be a damn sight less turgid!!

Neville Davitt (@neville_davitt) | Twitter

Time to get the old guys back?

I posted on here some years back that I found a programme in my father in laws loft from a friendly in South Africa in the early 60s I think. Someone on here immediately offered over £100 for it. 

queensferryjambo
14 hours ago, MCW1976 said:

Quite often see people chancing their arm on eBay.

If you look at the supposed rare coins they try to sell for hundreds, it's madness because the real value is simply face value.

Just another con (I think?).

Prices for Hearts programmes have gone crazy lately on Ebay and these are items that have sold (not just what people want).

A reserve match programme sold for £686 recently. 

My thinking is people being in lock down, furlough or pension money and nowhere to spend it.

Here are some that sold in the last week or 2 and plenty more that sold for over £200 and £300

image.png.bedf7d91c16342de99e63189dac362b6.png   

Edited by queensferryjambo

Francis Albert

The series in last season's programmes maybe generated interest in the tour games. At least in North America, Autralasia and South Africa Hearts in those days was a big name and took part on at least an equal footing with the biggest English teams. The rarity of the programmes will obviously inflate the prices.

And a bit of a wild guess but could the Queen of the South reserve match have been the first time the Terrible Trio played together?

Edited by Francis Albert

bean counter
On 25/08/2021 at 13:11, **** the SPFL said:

cheers i have every home programme from 2000 until 2017 when i stopped buying them most have team sheets some with tickets and newspaper cuttings if we won i might just take them down to Jim and his wife that sell them on.

I'm in the middle of clearing out my programmes and have a similar amount to you.

How do I get in touch with Jim and his wife ( I take it they are the couple I've seen a couple of times set up in the Gorgie Suite )

19 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Neville Davitt (@neville_davitt) | Twitter

Time to get the old guys back?

Is that Charlie Adam ... on a good day? It looks like he's just whipped off his syrup.

Fxxx the SPFL
28 minutes ago, bean counter said:

I'm in the middle of clearing out my programmes and have a similar amount to you.

How do I get in touch with Jim and his wife ( I take it they are the couple I've seen a couple of times set up in the Gorgie Suite )

Yep they were in the Gorgie suite b4 sheep game 

I was at an auction a few years ago in Stockport where 1920's Manchester City programmes sold for including fee for £19,000.

I had viewed them the previous day and set aside £500!

The buyer told me to look out for games from 1923 at the new Maine Road ground.

Shanks said no
On 25/08/2021 at 15:00, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Can't imagine there are many of these kicking around nowadays.

img314.thumb.jpg.8d84b57055eb731e6d53cc02707f2b09.jpg

Got some other friendlies against Meadowbank Th. from the '80's.

Also some Third Lanark (away) from the early/mid '60's.

Used to have hundreds of programmes, but had to sell most of them a number of years ago, kept all the semi-final & finals from the 60's to present day, and any other unusual or interesting programmes, such as Vale of Leithen (away) in the cup in 1962 and Gretna (away) May 2008, what's interesting about that one is, not only was it the final game Gretna played in the Premier League but it was the final game Gretna ever played, as they folded weeks later and re-formed as Gretna 2008. 

Pub quiz question: What was score, Gretna won 1-0 with Gavin Skelton scoring in the 93rd minute.

Really interesting programme.

The Registered office was part of Ferranti's Robertson Avenue site at the top of Robbie Ave / Stewart Terrace. It was a house next to the joiners shop, known at the time as Alder (&) MacKay's House. Was still being used mid/late 80's. John Blacklaw, Meadowbanks chairman, had a rent free office there. Hugh Cowan, vice chairman, worked at GEC / Ferranti South Gyle and was still there when I left in 93, he was my sisters boss.

23 hours ago, queensferryjambo said:

Prices for Hearts programmes have gone crazy lately on Ebay and these are items that have sold (not just what people want).

A reserve match programme sold for £686 recently. 

My thinking is people being in lock down, furlough or pension money and nowhere to spend it.

Here are some that sold in the last week or 2 and plenty more that sold for over £200 and £300

image.png.bedf7d91c16342de99e63189dac362b6.png   

We should start playing internationals again

On 25/08/2021 at 10:42, martoon said:

"Vere Ferrers Townshend Bootland" would fill the back of a shirt these days.

Just googled his name and Charles is still alive. 105 years old.

His name was what jumped out the most at me! 

Doing very well to still be going after all this time

Looking at our team sheet, my grandad used to tell me stories about Wardlaugh, Bauld & Conn

Sounded like some of the best football we've ever played 😢

37 minutes ago, Gulf Jambo said:

His name was what jumped out the most at me! 

Doing very well to still be going after all this time

Looking at our team sheet, my grandad used to tell me stories about Wardlaugh, Bauld & Conn

Sounded like some of the best football we've ever played 😢

He was 35 when that friendly took place.

No spring chicken. 

Good on the old guy.

My granddad was the same, GJ.

Told me all about the 8-3 thrashing of Hibs in 1935, which he'd attended as a young man. He still had a newspaper report of the game 40 odd years after the event.

Doctor FinnBarr

Out of a matter of interest, what would a programme for a Scotland v England police international played at Broomfield be worth? No date on the prog but going by the hairstyles in pics and the adverts must be late 50s/early 60s.

John Findlay
On 25/08/2021 at 16:17, Deevers said:

That’s a cracker.

According to London Hearts we lost this final 0-3 in front of a crowd of 17,151. 11th of April was a Monday. Smith, Turnbull and Cuthbertson scoring for Hibs.

Oddly enough the following Monday we played an EOSS semi final against Edinburgh City and won 6-0!!!

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Out of a matter of interest, what would a programme for a Scotland v England police international played at Broomfield be worth?

Probably just a few coppers.

Hearts Heritage
11 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

And a bit of a wild guess but could the Queen of the South reserve match have been the first time the Terrible Trio played together?

We think it was
1948-08-18 Wed
Third Lanark 2nd XI 5-4 Hearts 2nd XI
(Reserve League 02 of 30)

Jimmy Wardhaugh playing Left Half!

1948-08-18-02.jpg

What is my 2012 cup final signed by Gowser worth?

Don't care. I'd never sell it.....

:D

I've got a querie that is not programme related. I've got the original Hearts song 7" Hector Nicol single on Glentone records, unfortunately it is a double a side with the Hibs ggth on the other side. I've always wondered what it's value is, any ideas? 

been here before
39 minutes ago, COACH 13 said:

I've got a querie that is not programme related. I've got the original Hearts song 7" Hector Nicol single on Glentone records, unfortunately it is a double a side with the Hibs ggth on the other side. I've always wondered what it's value is, any ideas? 

15 quid on a good day.

https://www.discogs.com/Hector-Nicol-with-the-Kelvin-Country-Dance-Band-Glory-Glory-To-The-Hi-Bees-Hibernian-Supporters-Song/release/12189740

Francis Albert
11 hours ago, Hearts Heritage said:

We think it was
1948-08-18 Wed
Third Lanark 2nd XI 5-4 Hearts 2nd XI
(Reserve League 02 of 30)

Jimmy Wardhaugh playing Left Half!

1948-08-18-02.jpg

Thanks. As I said mine was a wild guess at at what might have made a QOS v Hearts reserve game programme worth nearly £1000. The dates seemed about right - tail end of 1947/48 season compared to early 1948/49 in this case. Couldn't make out the team names in the QOS programme.

(As an aside one thing that is missing from my shelf of Hearts related books is a decent Terrible Trio one, either about them collectively or individually. The one paperback I have disappoints both because of the amount of green on the cover and its rather thin content.)

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

Thanks. As I said mine was a wild guess at at what might have made a QOS v Hearts reserve game programme worth nearly £1000. The dates seemed about right - tail end of 1947/48 season compared to early 1948/49 in this case. Couldn't make out the team names in the QOS programme.

(As an aside one thing that is missing from my shelf of Hearts related books is a decent Terrible Trio one, either about them collectively or individually. The one paperback I have disappoints both because of the amount of green on the cover and its rather thin content.)

I have the same Terrible Trio book. It is a bit overly green. 

20 hours ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Really interesting programme.

The Registered office was part of Ferranti's Robertson Avenue site at the top of Robbie Ave / Stewart Terrace. It was a house next to the joiners shop, known at the time as Alder (&) MacKay's House. Was still being used mid/late 80's. John Blacklaw, Meadowbanks chairman, had a rent free office there. Hugh Cowan, vice chairman, worked at GEC / Ferranti South Gyle and was still there when I left in 93, he was my sisters boss.

As far as I'm aware that is the first Hearts programme against Meadowbank Thistle, we had played them twice the season before, a friendly and an EOSS semi at Tynie, but I am unaware of any programmes being issued for either game.

18 hours ago, cookieboy said:

sold my collection in hard times a few years ago for £3000 . I reckon it would have been worth 5 times that now but hey ho 

Same here mate, I had every home programme from season 1957-58 right through the 60's, 70's & 80's and most of all the away programmes from the 80's.  Didn't have a choice, had to sell them, times were hard, however as I said in an earlier post I did keep some, the 1949 programme and all the Third Lanark (home & away) programmes, all the Meadowbank Th, all my semis & finals (only ones I still buy) and a few other ones which I thought would be interesting or maybe worth a bob or two in years to come.