Rangers Covid outbreak

Swanny17

5 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Every chance most if not all teams will be affected. The question is whether the authorities treat all clubs in the same way 

Quite a dilemma coming up for the authorities. 😀

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DETTY29

• Bazzas right boot

• Mysterion

• Pasquale for King

38 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Every chance most if not all teams will be affected. The question is whether the authorities treat all clubs in the same way 

You'd have thought the precedent was set with games forfeited in the league cup, but the old firm game is the golden goose. I'd be flabbergasted if they don't just make up any rule they fancy to keep the bigot-fest show on the road.

I find it hard to believe that The Rangers will not be able to put out a side. If all they are left with is youth then they are still able to field a side. 

Otherwise 3-0 victory to Celtic. 

We were disadvantaged by this rule in the LC (St Mirren being awarded a 3-0 victory) so it would be unfair to treat The Rangers any differently to teams who had to forfeit LC games. 

12 minutes ago, Beni said:

You'd have thought the precedent was set with games forfeited in the league cup, but the old firm game is the golden goose. I'd be flabbergasted if they don't just make up any rule they fancy to keep the bigot-fest show on the road.

The show should be kept on the road because Rangers have spent tens of thousands in wages on a large squad. 

There's no excuse for a club their size to not be able to field a team provided most Covid protocols have been followed.

They have plenty strength in depth so no reason for games not to go ahead. May have to play a youth keeper if rumours are true but so what?

8 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

The show should be kept on the road because Rangers have spent tens of thousands in wages on a large squad. 

There's no excuse for a club their size to not be able to field a team provided most Covid protocols have been followed.

That's true.

They've not confirmed how many are affected yet I don't think, so we're maybe all being a bit premature, but if it's quite a few I think we'll see a lot of bending over backwards by the SPFL "for the integrity of the game".

30 minutes ago, Beni said:

TV will decide if it goes ahead.

You can be sure it will go ahead then !

The League Cup has specific circumstances in that there is no way to postpone a game to a later date. Having 5 teams in a section means it would have to be carried forward and with the draw made after the last game, TV games to be decided for the next round etc there is no time.

League games can easily be postpomed for a couple of weeks till the relevant teams are out of Europe........

5 minutes ago, JTJ said:

The League Cup has specific circumstances in that there is no way to postpone a game to a later date. Having 5 teams in a section means it would have to be carried forward and with the draw made after the last game, TV games to be decided for the next round etc there is no time.

League games can easily be postpomed for a couple of weeks till the relevant teams are out of Europe........

Except precedents have been set already in respect of league games and covid depleted squads.

49 minutes ago, Beni said:

That's true.

They've not confirmed how many are affected yet I don't think, so we're maybe all being a bit premature, but if it's quite a few I think we'll see a lot of bending over backwards by the SPFL "for the integrity of the game".

Not sure they can bend over backwards...

They have around 35 first team players. 

They have an academy that operates with enough players to have 2 teams at u16/u17/u18 level. Some of those players may be ineligible due to the Rangers Colts teams but none the less it would suggest their whole Academy is worthless if they can't put a young player on the bench. 

For that reason the game proceeds.

John Findlay

Precedents have been set. If they cannot fulfil the fixture then as much as it grates, it should be a 3-0 win awarded to the Green and White hoops arsecheeks.

13 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

This will be happening to most clubs. Imagine before our derby ? 

There is one thing for sure it wont happen to Hibs.

They are the jammiest team on the planet.  

I can barely remember them even having any player let alone a key player injured etc for a derby.

Hagar the Horrible

Lets be clear, Sevcovid will have a team boarding a plane today, so that game will be going ahead, that will leave no excuse for not fielding a team for their diddy derby.

It is reported a number of positive cases, so who are they? Rangers dont need to/obliged to tell us and having confidentiality is paramount, but its in an industry where it is so easy to work out the SMSM can work it out.

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, luckydug said:

I find it hard to believe that The Rangers will not be able to put out a side. If all they are left with is youth then they are still able to field a side. 

We were disadvantaged by this rule in the LC (St Mirren being awarded a 3-0 victory) so it would be unfair to treat The Rangers any differently to teams who had to forfeit LC games. 

Correct. We missed out on being seeded on goal difference with Midden and scumdee "winning" 3-0 without kicking a ball 

Horatio Caine
37 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Dungcaster and his fellow arsehole colleagues will be on the lavvy pan all day. 

The only zoom going on today will be the speed  of the skitters splashing against the bowl. 

The game must proceed. They can take out an emergency loan for a goalie. 

It's a pity Bobby's no longer available.

1 hour ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Lets be clear, Sevcovid will have a team boarding a plane today, so that game will be going ahead, that will leave no excuse for not fielding a team for their diddy derby.

It is reported a number of positive cases, so who are they? Rangers dont need to/obliged to tell us and having confidentiality is paramount, but its in an industry where it is so easy to work out the SMSM can work it out.

Rumour only.

Screenshot_20210825-120454_WhatsApp.jpg

3 hours ago, luckydug said:

All league (certainly Premiership) games last season cancelled were eventually changed to postponed and replayed despite initially 3.0 wins being awarded to the opposition, after appeal to the SFA

Unless there has been a specific new watertight rule introduced to the SPFL rulebook for league games, I can't see there being any chance of that not continuing.

We need to ignore what happened in the League Cup.

alwaysthereinspirit
4 hours ago, Dazo said:

Not for this particular game.

”good morning, Ibrox, how may I help you”

”It’s me, Neal. When do you guys want the game postponed too”

”Do a couple of weeks. That should suffice. Next time use the secret phone number idiot”

Brick Tamland
4 hours ago, Dazo said:

I agree, they'll be wondering how they can punish us for Sevco's covid outbreak.

30 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

All league (certainly Premiership) games last season cancelled were eventually changed to postponed and replayed despite initially 3.0 wins being awarded to the opposition, after appeal to the SFA

Unless there has been a specific new watertight rule introduced to the SPFL rulebook for league games, I can't see there being any chance of that not continuing.

We need to ignore what happened in the League Cup.

You're right... the cup had a time limit on it with regards to the next round. The league is different... the problem here is going to be if Celtic allow the game to be moved (remember, they didn't allow their game with Hubz to be moved last season)... slightly different circumstances as Hubz didn't want to catch Covid from the mhanks... but, I'm guessing, if Rangers struggle to field a team and ask to have the fixture moved, it'll be up to celtic.

5 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Of course they will.

One rule for the bigot twins and another rule for everybody else, simples.

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Of course they will.

One rule for the bigot twins and another rule for everybody else, simples.

Scottish football in a nutshell.

Pasquale for King

Young GK Mcrorie having to play in the uglies derby. 
Glad we’ve not only got two GKs 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️?!?!

Skivingatwork

Could be an opportunity for 18 year old Jay Hogarth. He’s been playing some games for the B side in the lowland league and was on the bench for an earlier European tie.

Link to Hearts is that his dad (Myles) was with Hearts for a number of years (1 first team appearance I think) and then with Falkirk and Stirling Albion.

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Young GK Mcrorie having to play in the uglies derby. 
Glad we’ve not only got two GKs 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️?!?!

Think their 3rd choice goalkeeper Andy Firth may play the old firm (depending on how McCrorie does tomorrow.) Think Firth cant play tomorrow as he was not in the named squad for the game.

John Findlay
1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

You're right... the cup had a time limit on it with regards to the next round. The league is different... the problem here is going to be if Celtic allow the game to be moved (remember, they didn't allow their game with Hubz to be moved last season)... slightly different circumstances as Hubz didn't want to catch Covid from the mhanks... but, I'm guessing, if Rangers struggle to field a team and ask to have the fixture moved, it'll be up to celtic.

No it won't as Sevco are the home team. Just as Celtic were against Hibs, and home team gets the bigger say.

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Think their 3rd choice goalkeeper Andy Firth may play the old firm (depending on how McCrorie does tomorrow.) Think Firth cant play tomorrow as he was not in the named squad for the game.

I see, was just going with what they said on SSN. Let’s hope our GKs don’t have this problem 🤞.

RustyRightPeg
15 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

McRorie has a seasons worth of first team football at Livi surely he’d be the better option?

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Although the matches are played under two different governing bodies I find it difficult to see how TRFC could play a match tomorrow night then claim they can't put out a team on Sunday (apologies if this point has been made already and debunked). I realise it's possible they might get a few genuine, and not so genuine, injuries tomorrow, but on the face of it, if they can field a team tomorrow they can surely field a team on Sunday. Could the difference turn out to be a not so Glasgow friendly UEFA and an extremely friendly Glasgow centred SPFL?

I'm basing this post on the fact that if a club can field a team on a Thursday in a competitive match then they can surely field that same team on the following Sunday, regardless of any difference in governing body. I am also, of course, assuming that TRFC will try to have their match postponed - if they haven't already - and the SPFL will do their duty. 

1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Gerrard, Kent, Tav, McGregor and McLaughlin confirmed isolating. 

Safe to assume that's Jon not Chris!!

10 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Although the matches are played under two different governing bodies I find it difficult to see how TRFC could play a match tomorrow night then claim they can't put out a team on Sunday (apologies if this point has been made already and debunked). I realise it's possible they might get a few genuine, and not so genuine, injuries tomorrow, but on the face of it, if they can field a team tomorrow they can surely field a team on Sunday. Could the difference turn out to be a not so Glasgow friendly UEFA and an extremely friendly Glasgow centred SPFL?

I'm basing this post on the fact that if a club can field a team on a Thursday in a competitive match then they can surely field that same team on the following Sunday, regardless of any difference in governing body. I am also, of course, assuming that TRFC will try to have their match postponed - if they haven't already - and the SPFL will do their duty. 

RANGERS WON'T request a postponement of upcoming fixtures after being hit by a Covid outbreak on the eve of Sunday's Old Firm match, SunSport understands.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/7604053/rangers-wont-celtic-postponement-covid-outbreak-clubs/

If Rangers are under strength Celtic could absolutely rag doll them. I’m  back not caring which of the OF win now that the 10 (9.75) nonsense is over so if both can’t suffer then one will do.

Fozzyonthefence
5 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Precedents have been set. If they cannot fulfil the fixture then as much as it grates, it should be a 3-0 win awarded to the Green and White hoops arsecheeks.

The precedent in the league is that if a fixture can’t be fulfilled due to Covid it is postponed and rearranged at a later date.  Not seen anything about this changing.  What happened in the League Cup is irrelevant- different competition, different rules and probably the key thing - time to reschedule at a later date, unlike the League Cup. 

John Findlay
1 minute ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

The precedent in the league is that if a fixture can’t be fulfilled due to Covid it is postponed and rearranged at a later date.  Not seen anything about this changing.  What happened in the League Cup is irrelevant- different competition, different rules and probably the key thing - time to reschedule at a later date, unlike the League Cup. 

The precedent was awarding both Kilmarnock and StMirren 3-0 league defeats. They were overturned on appeal(rightly/wrongly), the precedent was 3-0 defeats.

1 minute ago, John Findlay said:

The precedent was awarding both Kilmarnock and StMirren 3-0 league defeats. They were overturned on appeal(rightly/wrongly), the precedent was 3-0 defeats.

the appeals change that precident

It might help them. With the players missing including Ryan Kent and Tavernier they could end up playing better. 

Like Liverpool first half of last season they haven't adjusted to being successful so far this season. 

12 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Falkirk were forced to play after a Covid outbreak at the start of the season - they did not get a postponement.  

AllyjamboDerbyshire
13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Regardless of whether the rules state it should be replayed or forfeited, they would have to be able to show that they cannot put a team together to play the match. Difficult to show if, since their Covid outbreak, they've managed to play a competitive match a few days before the one in question.

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Gerrard, Kent, Tav, McGregor and McLaughlin confirmed isolating. 

Updated list:

Steven Gerrard, James Tavernier, Ryan Kent, Allan McGregor, Jon McLaughlin, Scott Wright & Calvin Bassey

Bazzas right boot

It's all a good laugh but our league is tin pot enough without celtic rag dolling a reserve rangers side 6-0.

Be funny as ****, but as per the Scottish authorities have completey made an arse of the covid process. 

Our demotion. 

The vote. 

The Aberdeen / celtic stuff. 

3-0 wins in a competition that effects others sides abilities to be seeded - they never even thought of that. 

Now the show piece game is  in tatters. 

No wonder we are the equivalent of commercial ghonerea. 

We are viewed as a joke and run like ****ing one. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Mysterion said:

If I was celtic, I'd be requesting one. 

Imagine being forced to play a side that is in amongst a covid outbreak. 

Almost Like being asked to slash your wrists and jump in a shark tank. 

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, John Findlay said:

That makes no sense John.  The precedent is clearly that the games are rescheduled because that’s what actually happened!   What nearly happened is not a precedent!  No team has had a 3-0 league defeat yet.  

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Swanny17 said:

Falkirk were forced to play after a Covid outbreak at the start of the season - they did not get a postponement.  

But they were able to field a team.  Iirc the postponements last season in the league were when clubs couldn’t field a team.  Although wouldn’t be surprising if the SPFL were just making it up as they went along.  They always seem to be reactive rather than proactive. 

Anyway, seems as if Rangers are not requesting a postponement. 

No Idle Talk
8 hours ago, luckydug said:

Aye it would be unfair. But if push comes to shove you know full well that the people running the game WILL treat that lot differently. One rule for Glasgow's big two, another rule for everybody else.

I work with a zombie and he was saying this morning 'Imagine they tried to just award the points to Celtic. That would be chaos.' Why exactly? It is either an open admission that Sevco fans are such a bunch of reprobates that they would riot if Celtic are awarded a 0-3 win or else he is saying that because it is a match involving Sevco and Celtic then it should be treated differently to any other Scottish football fixture. A notion I find to be unbelievably arrogant and just plain wrong. 

But that is the mindset of an Old Firm fan I suppose.